Melbourne Football

Luke Brattan

japiedog

14 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Just thought I'd mention that he and his partner had a baby less than a month ago. Perhaps this might mean he will stay for another season?

Really all depends where his partner is from and what sort of support network she has in Melbourne. 

18 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Just thought I'd mention that he and his partner had a baby less than a month ago. Perhaps this might mean he will stay for another season?

Might mean he wants to stay here for another season, but football is a business not a charity and the hard reality is we employ players and not their WAGs. He is still representing the club (with Caceres at some children's event only last week) so my guess is we are still negotiating with Manchester City and his agent - that's assuming we wish to keep him. IMO Wazza will want to see a lot more from Brattan than we saw at the tail end of last season.

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

Might mean he wants to stay here for another season, but football is a business not a charity and the hard reality is we employ players and not their WAGs. He is still representing the club (with Caceres at some children's event only last week) so my guess is we are still negotiating with Manchester City and his agent - that's assuming we wish to keep him. IMO Wazza will want to see a lot more from Brattan than we saw at the tail end of last season.

Oh absolutely. I wasn't suggesting that we keep him for this reason, just that from his end he has a reason to stay. He seemed a certainty to leave only a few months ago. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harrison said:

Are you sure Brattan didn't have the baby himself? Because it looks like he hasn't lost the baby weight yet.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Andrew Edmonds said:

Brattan was on the phone ringing up members to speak to them and thank them for being a member for the up-coming season. Really nice bloke!

I'm sure he was a good bloke when recording the pre-made message

1 hour ago, kingofhearts said:

I wish his football ability was as good as him being a 'good bloke'..... 

He's got plenty of ability imo, as we saw in the opening month of last season. Hopefully Wazza irons out his performances, fitness and attitude because after that stellar opening month he was fucking dreadful.
A fit and firing Brattan makes us a challenger straight away, irrespective of a marquee CAM signing.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, bt50 said:

He's got plenty of ability imo, as we saw in the opening month of last season. Hopefully Wazza irons out his performances, fitness and attitude because after that stellar opening month he was fucking dreadful.
A fit and firing Brattan makes us a challenger straight away, irrespective of a marquee CAM signing.

Agreed.  Always has been mindset with him, rather then a question of ability.  hopefully wazza can fix up the aspects you have said. 

3 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

Agreed.  Always has been mindset with him, rather then a question of ability.  hopefully wazza can fix up the aspects you have said. 

Agree with mindset. I'd also go further and say it's a case of him being in his comfort zone. Anything beyond this is a hard difficult road filled with pain and sacrifice. 

• 3 months later...

LUKE BRATTAN TALKS GAFFER BANTER AND WEIGHT LOSS

By Clement Tito 

Nov 12 2017

Warren Joyce knows how to find the balance when managing a team, according to Brattan.

The message coming from Melbourne City this season is to tighten things up defensively after proving to be the league's entertainers over the years.

City have conceded two goals in five games under Joyce and consistency is the main message coming from the boss, with Brattan impressed.

Brattan said Joyce was “refreshing” for the playing group and also praised his sense of humour.

“Warren is a fantastic coach, and he’s got pretty decent banter as well which is awesome,” Brattan told FourFourTwo.

“I cop it a fair bit with some of the stuff I wear, he’s printed a few photos out of funny looking people that I apparently look like and he’s stuck them up around the place.

“You just know every day, on the field he’s serious and then he’s got the banter. It’s very refreshing and a good balance.”

Brattan made it no secret that he would like to be playing more and has so far come off the bench twice in the four games he has played.

The midfielder was a regular starter for City last season, however he said he felt comfortable approaching Joyce to discuss any concerns he has.

“There’s still that respect but I think having banter with the boys makes him a bit approachable and that’s what you need in a coach, you can’t be scared to go and talk to him,” he said.

“I’m not playing as much at the moment, but I’m not intimidated to go and talk to him and I’ll know he’ll be honest with me.

“We’ve started the season well, we’re well drilled and defending extremely well which was missing last year.

“We just need to continue that now, it’s also not a long season so to start well is very important. We have to keep the standard high and he drives that.”

Brattan said he feels in excellent condition, despite the battle he's facing to regain a regular spot.

He's had a big year after the birth of his baby-daughter Amaya and the new challenge of juggling fatherhood with football.

And he said he had to slim down before the start of the 2017/18 season.

“Since last year I’ve lost about 8kg, so it’s a fair bit,” Brattan said.

“I’m a bit lighter than I was at Brisbane, it’s allowed me to add a bit more to my game, I need to be super fit to play in the team and the style we play in the A-League as well as go to the next level.

“The competition is getting better and better each year, so to keep up, my fitness has got to improve and I feel the best I’ve felt in a while, so I’m pretty happy.

“Last year coming back from England, my weight was poor, then I returned in good shape this year and it was a lot easier to get to where I am now.

“This year I really wanted to go to the next level and I looked after myself in the off-season. Having a baby might’ve had a bit to do with that, but I worked pretty hard so it was a good start.

“I feel great, credit to the gaffer for working us so hard, but also to the medical staff who have worked wonders with me.”

Brattan also admitted the Socceroos are on his mind going into a World Cup year.

Despite being involved in senior camps he remains uncapped and in January he slammed himself, feeling he wasn't good enough for the team.

Brattan said he needed to get some games going for City before he can even think about the national team.

“I’m not going to say that I deserve to be there when I don’t,” he said.

“I know Ange (Postecoglou) chooses the team on form and he’s not scared to make big decisions.

“Hopefully we do make the World Cup, I get my chance and start playing club football. But at the moment, I’m nowhere near it because I’m not playing regularly here.”

https://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/news/luke-brattan-talks-gaffer-banter-and-weight-loss-477419

• 2 months later...

Against CCM we had nobody on the penalty box line to cover rebounds. I assume Brattan should be there? He basically stayed back with Malik all the time with very rare forward movements. While quite efficient in defensive midfield, he has a good shooting ability. Do not think it was Joyce instructions to stay next to Malik, more like Bratts limitation.

42 minutes ago, MXG said:

Against CCM we had nobody on the penalty box line to cover rebounds. I assume Brattan should be there? He basically stayed back with Malik all the time with very rare forward movements. While quite efficient in defensive midfield, he has a good shooting ability. Do not think it was Joyce instructions to stay next to Malik, more like Bratts limitation.

But being down to 10 men and CCM having quick payers better off sitting back then getting caught out. Last few matches Brattan has been attacking more