Melbourne Football

Luke Brattan

japiedog

4 hours ago, Jovan said:

Opinions generally should be based on what they produce evey week for 95mins but their social media content doesn't help when they aren't performing. 

I'm not a huge advocate of playing youth but after last night I would start Arzani next week and give Brattan a week off. In fact I would Retre couldn't be any worse. Luke has been very average. Playing alongside Kilkenny they are too similar and imo as a pairing less effective. If we can get a bit of zip inside might change things. 

Regardless the second half last night the midfield was absolutely destroyed. 

I'd be looking at Genreau too.  Need some energy in midfield.

• Like 3

Brattan should not be starting. He holds up play and hasn't got the vision nor the quality of disposal to set up a real attacking opportunity. He blunts attacking transitions which allows the opposition defenders to get organised and then has to go wide or backwards. TBH I think we should play Malik and Kilkenny deep in the midfield and Colazo and Caceres behind Bruno and Fitzy and go direct.

Brattan and Kamau should be replaced on the bench with Arzani and Genreau

9 hours ago, Jovan said:

Opinions generally should be based on what they produce evey week for 95mins but their social media content doesn't help when they aren't performing. 

I'm not a huge advocate of playing youth but after last night I would start Arzani next week and give Brattan a week off. In fact I would Retre couldn't be any worse. Luke has been very average. Playing alongside Kilkenny they are too similar and imo as a pairing less effective. If we can get a bit of zip inside might change things. 

Regardless the second half last night the midfield was absolutely destroyed. 

I suggested that a few weeks ago - welcome to the club. Every week that passes will see more coming around to this point.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Here's a theory....

Did Brattan have a clause in his contract saying that he had to play x% of games, or did CFG simply give instructions to Melbourne City to play him for x% of games?

I would agree with this ^. But then again Caceras wasn't played as much, he was basically just a transfer between CCM and us though.

2 hours ago, haz said:

Here's a theory....

Did Brattan have a clause in his contract saying that he had to play x% of games, or did CFG simply give instructions to Melbourne City to play him for x% of games?

I would agree with this ^. But then again Caceras wasn't played as much, he was basically just a transfer between CCM and us though.

Maybe. 

But wouldn't you think that would have also applied at that team he went before and couldn't get a game.

I think is just basic bad management. He needed to be dropped early on and not so much because of form more because of him being very similar to Kilkenny. 

My theory is that Brattan played his best soccer when Kilkenny was playing that second CB role in the early rounds. Once teams worked out how to combat the 343 JVS and head office got spooked and they reverted to an almost nothing 443 that confused the fuck out of everyone. 

They should have persisted and developed the 343 with alternative counter measures but obviously the pressures of failure weighed heavily.

My theory anyway. 

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

Maybe. 

But wouldn't you think that would have also applied at that team he went before and couldn't get a game.

I think is just basic bad management. He needed to be dropped early on and not so much because of form more because of him being very similar to Kilkenny. 

My theory is that Brattan played his best soccer when Kilkenny was playing that second CB role in the early rounds. Once teams worked out how to combat the 343 JVS and head office got spooked and they reverted to an almost nothing 443 that confused the fuck out of everyone. 

They should have persisted and developed the 343 with alternative counter measures but obviously the pressures of failure weighed heavily.

My theory anyway. 

So pretty much, whilst being different types of players, they like to occupy the same space as each other. I.e. being the midfielder receiving the ball from the defence and distributing it to play makers. Kilkenny being the more dominant player means that he wins out most of the time as the midfielder receiving the ball and leaving Brattna a bit lost at sea. It also removes one of Brattan's strengths of switching the ball to an open winger or full back when he is receiving the ball further up the pitch.

A similar example is Lampard and Gerrard for England.

• Like 2

My view on Brattan is that he is too indecisive and slow on transition between defence and attack where a counter attack is on. He struggled to move it quickly to our forwards.

It maybe due to the tactical philosophy to hold onto possession, I dont know, but he has been one of the main offenders to our slow ball movement and the lack of attacking penetration that resulted.

He created some good plays and had good vision on occasions, but they were few and far between.

Would like to see him here next season under another manager that is tactically competent.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, playmaker said:

My view on Brattan is that he is too indecisive and slow on transition between defence and attack where a counter attack is on. He struggled to move it quickly to our forwards.

It maybe due to the tactical philosophy to hold onto possession, I dont know, but he has been one of the main offenders to our slow ball movement and the lack of attacking penetration that resulted.

He created some good plays and had good vision on occasions, but they were few and far between.

Would like to see him here next season under another manager that is tactically competent.

It seems we're all pretty much agreed that we had a squad that ought to have taken us into the ACL next season. Whilst there are some players in that squad who haven't lived up to expectations, surely the fact that we have failed rather spectacularly not to make the objective of the ACL has to be laid fairly and squarely at the management of the squad, i.e. the coaching team we have had this season? Brattan looked the goods at the start of the season, as did all the others. It was the job of the coaches to pull him back to that standard once he drifted off. Weak-kneed coaching was the problem.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, IssySG said:

Respect to Luke Brattan. He went to the City NPL game and watched the whole game from the fence. Was good to see an A league player supporting our reserves.

Maybe he wants to learn from the younger guys how to transition the ball quicker.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tony999 said:

Maybe he wants to learn from the younger guys how to transition the ball quicker.

Nah I think the lighting and time of day was perfect to grab an Instagram photo.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, haz said:

If anyone even cares, he decided to bleach his hair....

What is it with footballers and their hair? Many of them look complete dickheads. Brattan is one of them. More time working on his game and less in front of the mirror would do him no harm at all.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, malloy said:

According to the club's facebook Bratten created the most chances for us this season.

And Colazo second. 

That stat "chances created" is pretty dubious. Even the assist (from corners is debatable) but chances created is just making a stat to look scientific. 

Its either an assist or nothing. 

22 minutes ago, Jovan said:

And Colazo second. 

That stat "chances created" is pretty dubious. Even the assist (from corners is debatable) but chances created is just making a stat to look scientific. 

Its either an assist or nothing. 

What's the definition of a "chance"? There are 212 "chances" listed in that (incomplete) table. Our conversion rate for "chances into goals" must be pathetic. 

What a pointless statistic.

Just now, jw1739 said:

What's the definition of a "chance"? There are 212 "chances" listed in that (incomplete) table. Our conversion rate for "chances into goals" must be pathetic. 

What a pointless statistic.

Exactly. 

I'm a fan of stats. But they must be measurable and comparable on any given day. 

Shots, shots on target. Passes, completed or successful  passes. Tackles. Interceptions. Distance covered. Assists. Etc. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Brattan at the first session of the pre-season 19th June.

Look at the gut on him. Wazza is going to make him work hard.

Wazza could very well be the hard edged coach that gets the most out of Brattan. I said a while back Brattan needs someone who gives him rules and boundaries to work within. We could see a different Brattan this season*. 

*I say this with neither optimism nor pessimism 

14 hours ago, n i k o said:

Wazza could very well be the hard edged coach that gets the most out of Brattan. I said a while back Brattan needs someone who gives him rules and boundaries to work within. We could see a different Brattan this season*. 

That's just it. I think that's what went wrong last season... He started really well then performances dropped off, effort dropped off, seemed disinterested and the spaz in charge kept playing him. Hoping Wazza puts a fire under his ass and gets him playing at his peak. On his day he's one of the best in the league...

• Like 1

Does anyone know his contract status. From memory his loan period was the same as Caceras which was for last season. Caceras had his loan extended but as far as I can tell Brattan is now uncontracted. Obviously he is training.

Maybe he is getting the once over from Wazza. And if so I reackon that's a good change. Hopefully (and this is putting 2 and 2 together and probably getting 8) matchday team selection is done similarly and out of form players get dragged.

36 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Does anyone know his contract status. From memory his loan period was the same as Caceras which was for last season. Caceras had his loan extended but as far as I can tell Brattan is now uncontracted. Obviously he is training.

Maybe he is getting the once over from Wazza. And if so I reackon that's a good change. Hopefully (and this is putting 2 and 2 together and probably getting 8) matchday team selection is done similarly and out of form players get dragged.

Technically owned by Manchester but started pre season with us... Their pre season doesn't start till July, so it could be he's just here for the extra work, could be he's getting evaluated to decide whether he's staying or going, could be it just needs to be announced, could be they're in negotiations with another club and the fall back is he stays another year on loan. At this stage there's not been any proper info, just speculation based on the fact that he's clearly at the club and even from end of last season, seems intent on staying in melbourne

53 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Brattan was on a one-season loan, which expired on 31st May 2017. Technically he has reverted to being a Manchester City player, and ManC will be discussing with Brattan's agent what the options are.

IMO he'll struggle to find anything better than us - that's if we want him. Just looking at the image and comparing him with the other two players he's clearly got fitness/weight issues. Wazza has already mentioned several times about players working hard on and off the ball, so I don't think he'll tolerate players who can't go 95 minutes every match.

On 20/06/2017 at 8:51 PM, jw1739 said:

Brattan at the first session of the pre-season 19th June.

Look at the gut on him. Wazza is going to make him work hard.

He turned up to pre-season like that? whens the baby due?

One word. Unprofessional. Very sad to see, going to end his career soon unless he wakes up to himself bloody quickly.

10 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

He turned up to pre-season like that? whens the baby due?

One word. Unprofessional. Very sad to see, going to end his career soon unless he wakes up to himself bloody quickly.

On another note, doesn't Manny look mean as fuck with the facial hair