Melbourne Football

Luke Brattan

japiedog

Just now, jw1739 said:

A bit harsh IMO. Looking at Mooy and Kilkenny I'd say Brattan is not at their level, but he's certainly better than the National league.

Haha I was taking the piss, his level is probably a mid to upper table League One side if I'm being serious.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Will continue the long tradition of becoming a much better player once no longer at city

Oh I don't know about that. Quite a few have dropped completely out of view once they've left us. I think it would be easier to nominate those who have gone on to better things - Aziz Behich and Aaron Mooy are the only two I can readily think of.

2 hours ago, Embee said:

Haha I was taking the piss, his level is probably a mid to upper table League One side if I'm being serious.

Pretty much, but I think it shows his mind is thinking about other things rather than this season, it's like he can't wait to be out of here.

9 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Oh I don't know about that. Quite a few have dropped completely out of view once they've left us. I think it would be easier to nominate those who have gone on to better things - Aziz Behich and Aaron Mooy are the only two I can readily think of.

I dunno. Mauk did well at Adelaide, Gooch is doing well there now. Hoffman has been pretty good for the jets. Zullo's been better for Sydney than he was for us. And Wilkinson's still doing a good job too in their stellar season. Even JA is more highly regarded since leaving us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, illeatyourheart said:

I dunno. Mauk did well at Adelaide, Gooch is doing well there now. Hoffman has been pretty good for the jets. Zullo's been better for Sydney than he was for us. And Wilkinson's still doing a good job too in their stellar season. Even JA is more highly regarded since leaving us.

The Gooch has been excellent for Adelaide, he has been a standout.

9 hours ago, illeatyourheart said:

Yes, but they're all still in the A-League. Well, Mauk's overseas but last time I looked not getting any match time. My reference was to players who've left Heart/City and gone on to play regularly in what is considered a better league.

9 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

I think its hard to say anyone who has been excellent for Adelaide.

The Gooch has definitely been a stand out.

Did you watch their ACL match, made a lot of chances, made some good tackles

Edited by moops

Gee he started really poorly. A few terrible passes (WTF? The guy used to be the best passer in the league) & was in a terrible position to cover for Franjic when Nabboutt got through on goal (but Sorensen made a great save). 

After that he played Ok.

(Personally I suspect he's carrying an injury, nothing else explains the deterioration of his long passing.)

45 minutes ago, playmaker said:

With Jakobsen back, Malik DM, Kilkenny pushing up on the counter I think we would be more solid with Brattan being on the bench. 

It's an option we have. Plays Malik in his more natural position and exploits Kilkenny's ability to pass or run into dangerous positions.  He was excellent again last night, and is one of our better players most weeks.

1 hour ago, playmaker said:

With Jakobsen back, Malik DM, Kilkenny pushing up on the counter I think we would be more solid with Brattan being on the bench. 

I agree Kilkenny is the biggest threat when he plays box to box. Add in Fitzy and Kamau bombing down the line and we have a forward moving attack.

Since the games over time to slam the shit out of this guy (also because he's deserved it for a long time) 

Ever since he came back from thialand,  whether he fucked too many thia hookers or whatever,  this guy has been shit. 

This is why me,  yes I am putting my hand up to take over his position.  I can hold onto the ball for 40 minutes and kill all forward momentum instead of passing the ball on quickly.  I can never make a second challenge or even attempt to get back and defend. I can walk around  the pitch not giving a fuck about  the team.  I can do all this at the for a fraction of the price 

Please sign me Melbourne city.  I cant grow long hair like Bratton,  but I can borrow my mum's hair extensions 

Edited by kingofhearts
  • Like 2

Look everyone has to have a life outside of football. But following the guy on Instagram etc. I jut get the impression football isn't his 'absolute' number one and only priority. You compare Mooy and how he had this one minded obsession with training and improving and compare it to Brattan. Obviously a big assumption but it just seems Brattan enjoys his chosen lifestyle too much for football to get in the way of it. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, n i k o said:

Look everyone has to have a life outside of football. But following the guy on Instagram etc. I jut get the impression football isn't his 'absolute' number one and only priority. You compare Mooy and how he had this one minded obsession with training and improving and compare it to Brattan. Obviously a big assumption but it just seems Brattan enjoys his chosen lifestyle too much for football to get in the way of it. 

You can say this for a majority of the team tbh. I am all for and completely understand that the players go out and do their own thing other than playing football 24/7. But it seems as if they're more concerned about their "image" compared to their declining form. Wether thats Bratten visiting the latest shitty hipster cafe or playing Basketball with his mate Malik, or Franjic and Bouzanis doing instagram stories driving around in their 100k convertible Mercedes, nothing is more frustrating for us supporters seeing this shit and it's as if we're surprised to see them play the way they're playing when the evidence is clearly there that the club is not their priority. Perhaps i am being a little bit harsh but for fuck sake, after 7 years of the same shit, something has to give. We claim to be a big club and how we want to win every trophy there is, but its time for the players to take a good long look at themselves and start playing for the fans and the club.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Victards said:

You can say this for a majority of the team tbh. I am all for and completely understand that the players go out and do their own thing other than playing football 24/7. But it seems as if they're more concerned about their "image" compared to their declining form. Wether thats Bratten visiting the latest shitty hipster cafe or playing Basketball with his mate Malik, or Franjic and Bouzanis doing instagram stories driving around in their 100k convertible Mercedes, nothing is more frustrating for us supporters seeing this shit and it's as if we're surprised to see them play the way they're playing when the evidence is clearly there that the club is not their priority. Perhaps i am being a little bit harsh but for fuck sake, after 7 years of the same shit, something has to give. We claim to be a big club and how we want to win every trophy there is, but its time for the players to take a good long look at themselves and start playing for the fans and the club.  

They're doing all that because they're allowed to. And it doesn't help when the club itself seems to encourage it by some of the PR it puts out - particularly in recent weeks. A fish rots from the head. Management. Bad.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Victards said:

I think a bit harsh putting the whole team under the same blanket. Brattan stood out much more than the others imo. 

I wonder if any of you fellas were to provide your instagram username to us, would we find nothing but pictures of you at work on it? Bloody hell. This is pretty ridiculous. I'm not defending Brattan, because he has been poor, but you're really going to have a crack at him for having a life outside of football? Go look at Leo Messi's instagram. Of his last 30 pictures only one of them is of him playing. Does this mean Messi isn't focussed enough on his football? Come on fellas I get you're upset but this is pretty ridiculous.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

I wonder if any of you fellas were to provide your instagram username to us, would we find nothing but pictures of you at work on it? Bloody hell. This is pretty ridiculous. I'm not defending Brattan, because he has been poor, but you're really going to have a crack at him for having a life outside of football? Go look at Leo Messi's instagram. Of his last 30 pictures only one of them is of him playing. Does this mean Messi isn't focussed enough on his football? Come on fellas I get you're upset but this is pretty ridiculous.

I'm sure Aaron Mooy posts pictures that don't show him playing football. But we know that he works bloody hard at improving his game. The general opinion is that Brattan looks as though he doesn't care a f*ck when he's on the field. Hence the anger.

22 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

It's like a lot of talking points about players and teams: if you're winning and playing well, it's fine; if you're losing and playing like shit, it's not a great look.

I would compare it to Kilkenny doing his nut whenever a teammate makes an error. When you're mid-lower table, it's a sign of disharmony, but if we were 40 points clear on top like Sydney, no doubt the pundits would say what a great sign it is that the players care so much and can have robust exchanges of opinion.

But in essence I agree with you: Instagram probably isn't the best indicator of a player's passion to his craft.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GreenSeater said:

Just an observation reading into the way he is and gut feeling about Brattan and Brattan alone. As I said in the first sentence, everyone has a life outside of football. 

Opinions generally should be based on what they produce evey week for 95mins but their social media content doesn't help when they aren't performing. 

I'm not a huge advocate of playing youth but after last night I would start Arzani next week and give Brattan a week off. In fact I would Retre couldn't be any worse. Luke has been very average. Playing alongside Kilkenny they are too similar and imo as a pairing less effective. If we can get a bit of zip inside might change things. 

Regardless the second half last night the midfield was absolutely destroyed. 

• Like 2