Melbourne Football

Luke Brattan

japiedog

Confirmed he is going...

to the WC Qualifier vs Thailand

Monday, 7 November 2016 -

Staff writer

Caltex Socceroos goalkeeper Mitch Langerak and midfielder Massimo Luongo have been ruled out of the 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifier against Thailand on Tuesday 15 November after sustaining foot injuries over the weekend.

Luongo has been replaced by Melbourne City midfielder Luke Brattan while Langerak’s place in the squad has gone to Swansea City shot-stopper Mark Birighitti.

“Mitch and Massimo have foot injuries that have ruled them out of the match against Thailand,” Postecoglou said. “We have called in Luke Brattan and Mark Birighitti and they will join the squad in Bangkok immediately for the week-long training camp and we know they will do the job required.

Aussies abroad: Rogic scores again, Jedinak stars

“Both Mitch and Massimo have been managing injuries and we think it is best they stay with their clubs to help with their recovery over the international break.”

Socceroos medical staff are also awaiting results of scans to decide whether Tomi Juric will be fit to make the trip to Thailand after he was replaced early in his match last night with Apo Giannou on standby.

Birighitti returns to the Caltex Socceroos squad for the first time since the June friendlies against England and Greece and will join Valencia’s Mat Ryan and Bournemouth’s Adam Federici as the goalkeepers in Ange Postecoglou’s squad.

Brattan was a member of the squad for three matches in 2015 but is yet to make his debut for the Caltex Socceroos.

Jamie Maclaren, Nathan Burns, Mark Milligan and Matthew Spiranovic were the first players to arrive into Bangkok on Sunday with the rest of the squad arriving on Monday and Tuesday ahead of Tuesday week’s World Cup Qualifier.

34 minutes ago, InMyHeart said:

Fkn knew this would happen, should still beat NEwcastle but WSW away, with someone like retre stepping is, calls for huge concern.
Looks like the title is going to be hard to get, lets just hope we can get the FFA cup

Caceres should be the man. Retre is a solid squad player but not a starter if you want someone to replace Brattan. We have the best squad we've ever had. FMD the time for excuses is over.
What's bugging me now is that we have two players out for the whole season and we're not showing any signs of getting in even one injury replacement.

2 hours ago, InMyHeart said:

Fkn knew this would happen, should still beat NEwcastle but WSW away, with someone like retre stepping is, calls for huge concern.
Looks like the title is going to be hard to get, lets just hope we can get the FFA cup

Gee wizz. It's a long season mate.

18 hours ago, InMyHeart said:

Surely he will be back for WSW,  they play Tuesday night, gets back Wednesday 

We play Friday and every chance he won't have had any minutes 

• 1 month later...

To me Brattan is playing injured. He seems to have trouble during the match and certainly when the half time whistle blew, he dropped to the ground and massaged his leg - and I don't think it was cramps because he is not a major runner. I was surprised when he came back on so I suspect that they are using anaesthetics on him. So the question to me is whether JVS thinks that an injured Brattan is better than a fit Caceres.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

To me Brattan is playing injured. He seems to have trouble during the match and certainly when the half time whistle blew, he dropped to the ground and massaged his leg - and I don't think it was cramps because he is not a major runner. I was surprised when he came back on so I suspect that they are using anaesthetics on him. So the question to me is whether JVS thinks that an injured Brattan is better than a fit Caceres.

This was my read of the situation too. When an experienced player suddenly and inexplicably losses form like he has you can bet the house he's injured.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shahanga said:

This was my read of the situation too. When an experienced player suddenly and inexplicably losses form like he has you can bet the house he's injured.

You are right.

And according to the JVS logic book, he must be played for 90 mins, or he is not quite sure on what he needs to do on the pitch as there is no game plan to follow.

3 hours ago, NewConvert said:

The question for me is whether JvS thinks at all.

• Like 1

Either he is injured or is getting a bit full of himself an doesn't think he has to work hard. Has started doing what I didn't like about Moo: slowing the game down too much so he can show us how good he is. But doesn't have the Mooy attacking attributes to make up for that negative. Needs a reminder that he needs to move the ball on and forward more quickly. If he can't do that then make him do Kilkenny's role for a few weeks like he used to do at Brisbane.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, dr lime said:

Either he is injured or is getting a bit full of himself an doesn't think he has to work hard. Has started doing what I didn't like about Moo: slowing the game down too much so he can show us how good he is. But doesn't have the Mooy attacking attributes to make up for that negative. Needs a reminder that he needs to move the ball on and forward more quickly. If he can't do that then make him do Kilkenny's role for a few weeks like he used to do at Brisbane.  

injured or full of himself, he is nowhere near Mooy

He is nowhere near Mooy,  never has been

But I honestly think that the changing of formation every week affects Brattan the most,  half the time he looks like he doesn't know where he should be.  He floats out to the right when he shouldn't then he gets caught up field 

He is either lazy or genuinely confused 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, neio said:

He is nowhere near Mooy,  never has been

But I honestly think that the changing of formation every week affects Brattan the most,  half the time he looks like he doesn't know where he should be.  He floats out to the right when he shouldn't then he gets caught up field 

He is either lazy or genuinely confused 

hmmm, you make a strong point

The midfield structure is up the shitter, at one stage Kamau was in the middle and Caceres on a wing with Cahill sitting in front of defence and Brattan out on the right. All this is down to JVS. We've got Kilkenny who's one of the silkiest midfielders in the comp having to play as an attacking centre back to fulfill the "Total Football" that JVS wanks over while our midfield opens up easier than Kim Kardashian.

Play a genuine back 4, get the 3 in the middle to understand their roles and give the front 3 freedom to do what they do best. But we'd rather continue with converting blokes to positions they're unfamiliar with in hope that it'll create some great footballing masterstroke.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

This has been happening all year, and it must be a tactical thing. At The Roar, Brattan would get the ball in the middle of the pitch from the back 4, and find passes into forwards, attacking midfielders/wingers all day long. Now, he gets stuck out on the right trying to thread low % balls through for Franjic/Kamau. We did this with Mooy a lot last year ( but he would drift left)- the difference being that Mooy was able to turn out of those corridors when hemmed in, and would then look to play Bruno's feet. Brattan's not as good on the turn/half turn as Mooy and thus gets stuck in corridors... which is why we should just play him centrally with Kilkenny. 2 of the best DM's in the league and both playing half out of position for god knows what reason!!

• 2 weeks later...

Look, I'm no master strategist with formations and the like, but his post-game interview baffled me. He literally said everything that we've been saying about the static boring over-possessive football that we've been playing. But, if he's not to blame, who is?

And as much as his words were a breath of fresh air, I'm a bit over his wry smile routine when he skies a cross into the crowd midway through a disappointing performance like Friday night. His interview shows that at least he does care more than most of the muppets that are running around, but his body language pretty much shows the exact opposite. He carries himself like he's been called back in 2037 to play in some Melbourne City old timers exhibition match.

Fornaroli is 100% invested. Kilkenny is 100% invested. I think Jakobsen is 100% invested. Fernando would be 100% invested, if we gave him the chance to be. How many others can we say that about, with no doubt?

5 hours ago, SF33 said:

Look, I'm no master strategist with formations and the like, but his post-game interview baffled me. He literally said everything that we've been saying about the static boring over-possessive football that we've been playing. But, if he's not to blame, who is?

And as much as his words were a breath of fresh air, I'm a bit over his wry smile routine when he skies a cross into the crowd midway through a disappointing performance like Friday night. His interview shows that at least he does care more than most of the muppets that are running around, but his body language pretty much shows the exact opposite. He carries himself like he's been called back in 2037 to play in some Melbourne City old timers exhibition match.

Fornaroli is 100% invested. Kilkenny is 100% invested. I think Jakobsen is 100% invested. Fernando would be 100% invested, if we gave him the chance to be. How many others can we say that about, with no doubt?

The only ones I'm 100% sure about are Fornaroli, Kilkenny, Brandan and Fitzgerald.
I'm slightly less than 100% about Caceres, and slightly less again about Jakobsen, Sorensen and Colazo.

Brattan needs to lose 10kg or so, and like a few others, needs double training per day until they reach certain performance levels.

IMO it's all too easy for too many people at Bundoora, on and off the field.

Brattan: I don't deserve Socceroos shot

http://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/news/brattan-i-dont-deserve-socceroos-shot-449375

Clement Tito

Brattan is kicking himself after beginning the season with all guns blazing for City, and has now conceded his form has dropped.

He still remains uncapped for the Socceroos after sitting on the bench against Bangladesh, Tajikistan and Jordan in 2015.

Brattan’s other call-up came in November 2016 to replace ruled out Massimo Luongo against Thailand after he was originally in the extended 30-man squad.

And as the Socceroos lock horns with Iraq and UAE towards the end of March, Brattan feels his personal form will have to change if he is even to be considered by coach Ange Postecoglou.

“No (I’m not playing well enough). I haven’t played well since that camp, so I’m not happy with myself at the moment,” Brattan conceded.

“I’m trying to change that, get back to the form I was in before the Socceroos camp, and first and foremost to help the team and I haven’t been consistent since that camp.

“I’m definitely looking in the mirror... ultimately I want to be there. At the moment I don’t deserve to be there.”

Brattan is fortunate enough to be playing alongside the all-time leading goal scorer of the Socceroos, Tim Cahill in club colours.

But the 26-year-old wants to rectify his game before consulting his peers.

“I know myself, of course Timmy is a fantastic leader and mentor,” he said.

“He’s been a Socceroos legend for years now (but)… I know my own game, better than anyone, I know what I can and can’t do. I’ll try fix it myself first and if I can’t then I’ll go elsewhere.

“I’m not getting in the right areas, I’m not getting the ball in the right areas.

“Not getting enough of the ball and that might be teams parking the bus, it might be me… I’m yet to work that out but hopefully it’ll change on Saturday night.”

It is the highly anticipated Melbourne Derby on Saturday night where City need to win if they are any chance to make the top two.

As it stands, City sit fourth on 26 points while Victory are second on 32 points, 11 behind undefeated Sydney FC who top the table.

Brattan still felt it was mathematically possible and wanted the club to make the AFC Asian Champions League (ACL) for the first time in history.

“You look at the club we’re trying to be and we’re trying to be the biggest in Asia, so we’ve got to be there to do that,” Brattan said.

“Of course (top two) is still possible, that’s what we’re going for. If we can’t win it we’re going for second place.

“We’re still going to try and win it, results have to fall in our way but I think we’re going to go play game by game and try go for three points each game.”

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

He's a realist at least. Need him to be more of a spokesman for the club. 

Perhaps it's just wishful thinking on my part, but think that we may be beginning to see a few players expressing their unhappiness at the way they are being told to play.

Pretty honest self evaluation. 

Question is why hasn't he been dragged. Clearly he knows he can play at a higher level and for whatever reason he hasn't recently. It's the coaching staffs responsibility to react to players form slumps and come up with solutions. 

The sooner we get the new coach the better.

• Like 1

Is all of our shit down to Brattan not delivering the goods ????

some time the receiver of the goods is not there

due to the defensive set up of 2 lines of 4 on the edge of the box with a 5 metre gap between them ( thank you Kenny Lowe for showing the A league how to stop us ) , it makes it effing hard to break down. plus the lack of movement by our forwards at times, means that Brattan has to dwell on the ball ( remember when Mooy used to be criticized for dwelling on the ball, go back and read some posts in his thread)

It's not all down to the man on the ball. Kamau makes shocking decisions in his off the ball runs , Calazzo's body language at times reminds me  of Koren's , it's like he doesn't want to be here, Bruno is double teamed, which means making passing to him, through the defensive gridlock, difficult.

I'm not his fan boy, he does have his faults, but our midfield "stifling" is not just due to him

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, japiedog said:

Is all of our shit down to Brattan not delivering the goods ????

some time the receiver of the goods is not there

due to the defensive set up of 2 lines of 4 on the edge of the box with a 5 metre gap between them ( thank you Kenny Lowe for showing the A league how to stop us ) , it makes it effing hard to break down. plus the lack of movement by our forwards at times, means that Brattan has to dwell on the ball ( remember when Mooy used to be criticized for dwelling on the ball, go back and read some posts in his thread)

It's not all down to the man on the ball. Kamau makes shocking decisions in his off the ball runs , Calazzo's body language at times reminds me  of Koren's , it's like he doesn't want to be here, Bruno is double teamed, which means making passing to him, through the defensive gridlock, difficult.

I'm not his fan boy, he does have his faults, but our midfield "stifling" is not just due to him

Totally agree. 

I remember Japan shutting us down last year and hitting us on the counter with that very same tactic of the two banks.

Pretty sure Kenny Lowe watched that and implemented it when they beat us in round 3. Every team has used it since. 

The best way to combat stacked well set defenses is quicker ball movement. Problem is it increases the risk of turnover. Instead of taking a touch and then passing you got to snap it first time. So movement of the ball must also be smart and quick. So both passing and movement has been way way too slow the only way is to remove the fear of making a mistake. 

It's up to the group to take more risks and accept more mistakes with the hope of faster movement with and without the ball. I could lead to a few bad losses initially but long-term it's the only real solution if you want to remain and positive ball playing side.

The other option is sit back and send long balls for the majority. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jovan said:

The best way to combat stacked well set defenses is quicker ball movement. Problem is it increases the risk of turnover. Instead of taking a touch and then passing you got to snap it first time. So movement of the ball must also be smart and quick. So both passing and movement has been way way too slow the only way is to remove the fear of making a mistake. 

It's up to the group to take more risks and accept more mistakes with the hope of faster movement with and without the ball. I could lead to a few bad losses initially but long-term it's the only real solution if you want to remain and positive ball playing side.

The other option is sit back and send long balls for the majority. 

Move our defensive line back 20m, speed up our ball movement and we'll beat everyone in the League. We have the players to do it just like we did last season. We just have a dumb senior coach.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Move our defensive line back 20m, speed up our ball movement and we'll beat everyone in the League. We have the players to do it just like we did last season. We just have a dumb senior coach.

You move the defense back 20m you obviously mitigated the quick counter and the stupid 1 on 1 with keeper but you also kill your midfield. More area to cover and more gaps for their AM to operate. 

The answer for me is just intelligence. Knowing when to press and in which areas. Knowing when to sit. Alot of that is confidence. At the moment the team as whole is devoid of confidence the senior players but more so the coaching group has to create it. 

For me our biggest issues are our mental approach. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jovan said:

You move the defense back 20m you obviously mitigated the quick counter and the stupid 1 on 1 with keeper but you also kill your midfield. More area to cover and more gaps for their AM to operate. 

The answer for me is just intelligence. Knowing when to press and in which areas. Knowing when to sit. Alot of that is confidence. At the moment the team as whole is devoid of confidence the senior players but more so the coaching group has to create it. 

For me our biggest issues are our mental approach. 

Play (from the back) GK-4-3-3 and you plug that midfield gap too. But look, as you say, you don't play fixed formations irrespective of the circumstances. You use your intelligence, and play according to your skills and the circumstances of the match at the time.

This "we played the way we want to play" is total rubbish if the results don't come.