Melbourne Football

Luke Brattan

japiedog

4 hours ago, Tesla said:

Seriously you could have a team of state league players and Brattan, and a competent coach would steer that team to the title.

How is someone who can pass like this even in the A-League?

His defending isn't on the level of his passing.

Anyway I have been going on about this guy's passing for years- now everyone can see what I was raving about.  

10 hours ago, rass said:

Can't believe people are criticising his weight.

Seems to get around the pitch ok to me.

Agree with this.

He can have as many pies as he likes if he's going to pass like that. Was his first game back and a piece of shit pitch and he was knocking it around like Stevie G

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/07/2016 at 0:26 PM, playmaker said:

Yeah I do. Didn't think much of Paartalu and his distribution was sub par, and Malik is a different beast altogether. I think Bratten's strength is his vision, consistency, and good distribution especially long balls to our flankers. Overall I think he will create more consistent opportunities and better balls to our forwards which is something Paartalu failed to do.  

paartalu was terrible with the ball.  the guy could be a quality central defender.  malik was much more composed with the ball.  malik is wasted in central defence.

16 hours ago, nah brah said:

paartalu was terrible with the ball.  the guy could be a quality central defender.  malik was much more composed with the ball.  malik is wasted in central defence.

From memory Malik did not really look up to standard as the Central Defender when we played a back three...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Really good signing and looking forward to seeing him dictating midfield for us. He was running the show and dictating games as a very young guy in the Brisbane teams that won Championships a while ago. I remember watching him live against us a couple of times and thinking what a good player he is. Different to Mooy, a true number 6. Controls the tempo of the game, doesn't waste any short balls, is always available, doesn't force things when nothing's on and most importantly, possesses what no other number 6 we have had in the past has had: the ability to knock a good long ball. Which is something that Paartalu and Malik were just rubbish at. If Malik can be convinced to play it short to Brattan all the time instead of giving it away long like Kissy used to do, our attacking mids and forwards will be well served. As an added bonus, he scores a few long range goals. If Jedinak and Milligan weren't so good for the Socceroos I reckon he may have played 40 games for the National team by now. Although perhaps his speed at that level may find him out, which is perhaps why some say he can be a little suss defensively although I haven't really seen that myself.     

The other thing I didn't mention was that he has what all good Number 6s have: a bit of cynical nastiness. But he seemed to play higher up than #6 tonight, does that seem right? I missed most of the first half so hard to tell from only seeing the end of the first half and the disjointed second half.   

6 minutes ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

Different players but he's not far off Mooy who's killing it in the Championship wonder he didn't even get a minute of playing time.

He looks slower than Mooy. Both should have gone to Italy. Poms are too one dimensional in how they rate and assess players. 

3 hours ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

Different players but he's not far off Mooy who's killing it in the Championship wonder he didn't even get a minute of playing time.

They would have thought he was a little too slow a little too short couldn't win a header and not gave him a second look in before even thinking about technique, positional awareness etc. 

Edited by Chris p

Brattan seeks consistency in A-League return

19 SEP 2016

Luke Brattan is hoping for a consistent, injury-free season with Melbourne City after an unsuccessful stint in Europe.

In a signing that seemed to come out of nowhere, the 26-year-old midfielder made headlines last October when he joined Premier League giants Manchester City after securing a release from Brisbane Roar.

Brattan never came close to playing for City and failed to take to the field during a loan-spell at Bolton Wanderers, with the 90 minutes he played for Melbourne City in last month's FFA Cup win over Brisbane Strikers his first senior game since May 2015 with Roar.

Now a key man for City, the midfielder is one of several players coach John van 't Schip will be counting on to pick up the playmaking slack left following Aaron Mooy's departure to England.

"I just want to be consistent all year and injury free," Brattan said.

"I fit straight into the team. I think I'm pretty comfortable in and around the boys in midfield.

"We've got some fantastic talent this year.

"It's a great club to be at. The facilities, the professionalism of the club, from the staff in the office to the staff out on the field - it's one big family, and that's what I love about it."

A good A-League season could also revive Brattan's Socceroos hopes after Ange Postecoglou selected him in his squad for World Cup qualifiers against Bangladesh and Tajikistan in 2015 following an injury to Mile Jedinak.

While Brattan didn't play a minute, he left an impression on talisman Tim Cahill, who compared Brattan's passing style and control to that of Mark Bresciano.

"You guys might think that's a big comment. But I think give it some time and this kid will be making some noises." Cahill said.

Melbourne City host Western Sydney Wanderers in their FFA Cup quarter-final on Wednesday night at AAMI Park.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2016/09/19/brattan-seeks-consistency-al-return-0

Herald Sun Player of the Year: All the votes from every round of the A-League 2016-17 season

October 17, 2016

MELBOURNE City star Luke Brattan’s early season dominance has propelled him to the early lead in the Herald Sun A-League Player of the Year voting.

Brattan followed up his best on ground performance in the season-opener with a two-vote effort in his side’s 4-1 thrashing of Melbourne Victory to give him five of a possible six votes to start the campaign.

He leads Sydney FC goal machine Filip Holosko and Newcastle playmaker Andrew Nabbout, locked together on four.

See below for the leaderboard and every vote from every round.

LEADERBOARD

5 L.Brattan (City)

4 F.Holosko (Sydney), A.Nabbout (New)

3 J.Geria (Victory), C.Pain (CCM), W.Brown (New), F.Brandan (City), Isaias (Adel), M.Ninkovic (Syd), D.Castro (Perth)

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/football/a-league/herald-sun-player-of-the-year-all-the-votes-from-every-round-of-the-aleague-201617-season/news-story/2a0ab4a26e45b8b1ef13e1644a401925

Edited by Murfy1

This guy reminds of Pirlo with the short legs and tight turning circle, the casual jog, always making himself available, controlling the tempo, and whoa that pass against Glory was a Worldie.

Good attitude too, post match interview was no nonsense and direct and he seems really determined for the club to have success.  

Will be in Europe next season I'd guess.

4 hours ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

This guy reminds of Pirlo with the short legs and tight turning circle, the casual jog, always making himself available, controlling the tempo, and whoa that pass against Glory was a Worldie.

Good attitude too, post match interview was no nonsense and direct and he seems really determined for the club to have success.  

Will be in Europe next season I'd guess.

he came back from Europe...

6 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

he came back from Europe...

Pretty interesting that he couldn't get a game when he was on loan at Bolton last season. I hadn't managed to see him play very much before this season due to not having foxtel, but now that I've seen him play, surely he was worth a shot in the Championship.

14 minutes ago, illeatyourheart said:

Pretty interesting that he couldn't get a game when he was on loan at Bolton last season. I hadn't managed to see him play very much before this season due to not having foxtel, but now that I've seen him play, surely he was worth a shot in the Championship.

Considering most Championship teams dont use their midfield, it's not a surprise. This was discussed in the earlier pages if i'm not mistaken 

32 minutes ago, Chris p said:

Considering most Championship teams dont use their midfield, it's not a surprise. This was discussed in the earlier pages if i'm not mistaken 

Mooy, Luongo, Jedinak and Irvine all Socceroo midfielders, 3/4 of who are playing well in the championship?

Edited by illeatyourheart
jedinak no play good

10 minutes ago, haz said:

What game will he miss as a result?

At this stage he's just in the 30 man squad (same with Cahill) which will be trimmed down to 23 after this weekend's games. If he plays well against Adelaide wouldn't be surprised to see him leapfrog Jeggo into the squad. Believe he would just miss the game against the Jerks on the 10th November - would be back in time for the next match against WSW