Melbourne Football

Daniel Arzani

jeffplz

Scottish news papers

Reports in Australia that Daniel Arzani has suffered a serious injury in Celtic's 5-0 win over Dundee were premature as the on-loan Manchester City winger's knee is too swollen for a proper diagnosis. (Evening Times)

On-loan Manchester City winger Daniel Arzani has posted a picture on social media hinting of a possible serious injury, yet also making light of the injury he picked up playing for Celtic against Dundee, captioning the image of himself in a knee brace with: "Will I make it?" along with a "yes/no option". (Daily Record)

BBC

Celtic face losing the services of Daniel Arzani and Eboue Kouassi for the remainder of the season.

Kouassi was injured against Hearts at Murrayfield on Sunday and has been diagnosed with a knee ligament injury.

Arzani made his debut at Dundee on Wednesday but was taken off.

"We are waiting on the final analysis of the scans but it is unfortunate. It looks like we will have two cruciate injuries," said Celtic manager Brendan Rodgers.

"If it is the case it will rule them both out for the rest of the season."

On 01/11/2018 at 11:35 PM, Celt said:

:lol:

No mate, this is what happens when you have a freak transfer of weight on sticky surface. People succumb to these injuries whether they play 50 games a season, 5 games, or socially once a week at 5's. 

Well obviously thats true but I think not playing regular first team games when your still developing can also contribute to injury. Muscle memory and reactions aren't as sharp, you're not used to getting tackled hard or changes in different surfaces. I recall a study on injury which showed players who were playing too much or too little had a much higher chance of injury than those who played a balance amount. Lets just hope Daniel recovers and either gets a decent run or recalled back to Man City and re-loaned out to mid tier Dutch/Belgium club. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
1 hour ago, Jovan said:

CBF adding link, but check out latest fox podcast with Arzani, a lot of City content and interesting opinion on previous coaches.

Wassnt surprised about the description of wazza. Can coach kids can’t coach adults

On 14/06/2019 at 11:23 AM, Jovan said:

CBF adding link, but check out latest fox podcast with Arzani, a lot of City content and interesting opinion on previous coaches.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/fox-football-podcast-daniel-arzani-on-his-rehabilitation-rise-through-the-ranks-and-offers-from-aleague-clubs/news-story/4c63d9c094da8f59046ffcccd28f0a56

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 14/11/2019 at 3:05 AM, haz said:

Arzani has hinted at leaving Celtic. Although I'd rather he stay in Europe, imagine though if he comes back here on loan in January 😍

A forward line of Arzani - Jmac - Noone, coached by Mombaerts makes me very moist.

Edited by Afif Adam

• 4 months later...

Training has retuned in Scotland though so who knows what he’s here for but doubt he will return to the A-League. Should never have left when he did after a handful of games.. whoever advised him has stagnated his career and wonder if he will ever return to those heights 

• Like 2

A source close to Arzani insisted that his homecoming did not signal a premature end to his two-season loan at Parkhead, where an ACL rupture on debut 16 months ago has limited him to just two substitute appearances.

Widely acknowledged as Australia’s most gifted young prospect, the 21-year-old remains contracted with the Bhoys until June.

Beyond that, the former Melbourne City magician appears destined to return to parent club Manchester City, with a possible loan, or sale, to a club on the European continent being discussed

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
1 hour ago, Hanz said:

Is it possible to bring him back under the cap for a season?

Who knows.

Seems like the guy needs a new manager - that's two loans that have been notable for their lack of success.

He's 22 now and time and tide wait for no man. He would walk into our side. Should take a leaf out of Curtis Good's book and sign a three year contract with us - if he blossoms then the overseas clubs will will come calling in the transfer market. What he's doing now is just wasting away.

Manchester City need a kick up the arse too for allowing this to happen. "Talent management"...

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Who knows.

Seems like the guy needs a new manager - that's two loans that have been notable for their lack of success.

He's 22 now and time and tide wait for no man. He would walk into our side. Should take a leaf out of Curtis Good's book and sign a three year contract with us - if he blossoms then the overseas clubs will will come calling in the transfer market. What he's doing now is just wasting away.

Manchester City need a kick up the arse too for allowing this to happen. "Talent management"...

Isn’t his manager Vince Grella 

7 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Who knows.

Now way should he have left when he left after playing half a season with us in the first team. Been advised poorly and then to go to Celtic who have numerous wingers ahead of him which was another poor move. Stagnated his career it’s grounded to a stop now. 

• Like 1

I still remember watching him look threatening against Peru and France in the 2018 World Cup after he gets subbed on for Robbie Kruse. Comparing him to Kruse in that campaign was like chalk and cheese. He wasn't afraid to take initiative in taking on defenders and created some chances that were not capitalised. Always speechless to keep seeing kruse start ahead of him in that tournament.

It's a damn shame that he withered away into the abyss with injuries and poor management and I'm not sure people still remember him besides us City fans.

Needs a massive turnaround to a proper club suitable for him to excel in. He had so much talent to show given the age he was 

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Who knows.

a lot of our youth players go over too early / young.  you only have to look at Mooy - a player who started out at the Bolton youth academy (an EPL side at the time IIRC).

youth players require game time at a decent level more than anything else.  Mooy benefited massively from coming back.

the amount of good, quality young players we have had lured overseas (sometimes to bigger clubs - Amini, Langerak, Brad Smith to name a few) and get limited game time is super disappointing.

doesnt help when you do your ACL after your breakout game too though.

19 minutes ago, Young Polak said:

I still remember watching him look threatening against Peru and France in the 2018 World Cup after he gets subbed on for Robbie Kruse. Comparing him to Kruse in that campaign was like chalk and cheese. He wasn't afraid to take initiative in taking on defenders and created some chances that were not capitalised. Always speechless to keep seeing kruse start ahead of him in that tournament.

It's a damn shame that he withered away into the abyss with injuries and poor management and I'm not sure people still remember him besides us City fans.

Needs a massive turnaround to a proper club suitable for him to excel in. He had so much talent to show given the age he was 

Well said. I vividly remember watching the Denmark game and talking him up when he came on. He looked quite good, created a few chances or half-chances, and I thought he would easily make it in a big 5 European league. The injury was an awful one, and he just hasn’t got the game time since coming back. 

I have always thought that our young Australian players shouldn’t head off until they’ve played in the A-League for a few seasons. Two or three at the very least, especially if they’re still in their teenage years or early twenties. When they’ve stood out and dominated consistently, then they’re probably ready. Our league is a good, solid standard and it’s a proper test for any young player. Yes they will have to adjust to the technical standards and the speed of the game overseas, but that’s not beyond them with the academies and curriculum we have down here now. But they have to be patient and they have to earn it. 

• Like 1

On 13/01/2021 at 2:18 PM, Harrison said:

Well said. I vividly remember watching the Denmark game and talking him up when he came on. He looked quite good, created a few chances or half-chances, and I thought he would easily make it in a big 5 European league. The injury was an awful one, and he just hasn’t got the game time since coming back. 

I have always thought that our young Australian players shouldn’t head off until they’ve played in the A-League for a few seasons. Two or three at the very least, especially if they’re still in their teenage years or early twenties. When they’ve stood out and dominated consistently, then they’re probably ready. Our league is a good, solid standard and it’s a proper test for any young player. Yes they will have to adjust to the technical standards and the speed of the game overseas, but that’s not beyond them with the academies and curriculum we have down here now. But they have to be patient and they have to earn it. 

I think its different for every player. A lot of our best players left Australia as teenagers without playing any senior Aleague/NSL football: Kewell, Cahill, Moore, Skoko, Neill,  etc. many others left for Europe after only playing 1 season and not establishing themselves.

I think he was ready to move to Europe, he was taking the piss in the A League. He was on another level completely - He made his contemporaries like McGree look ordinary. And at the WC he clearly outperformed Kruse, Rogic and Leckie.

The poor guy lost almost 2 full seasons to injury at Celtic. At Utrecht he is completing for a first team place with Eljero Elia and they had a coaching change in November. Utrecht was an odd choice of club because they traditionally play a disciplined, physical, blue-collar style of football. I doubt City currently care about his development since he will probably move for a free when his contract expires in June.

If he stays injury free he will have an impact in Europe and for the Socceroos. He can do things on the field that no other Australian has been able to do for a long, long time.