Melbourne Football

Daniel Arzani

jeffplz

17 hours ago, Jovan said:

Same coments were made about Huddersfield and the championship 2 years ago. 

I find it funny seeing A-League fans dismissing the Scottish league, we are actually in very similar situations, both surrounded by riches yet expected to compete. You have China, Japan, Gulf teams and we have the poison that is English football, with their grossly inflated prices and the inflation that causes around the continent. 

17 hours ago, Shahanga said:

He’s (assuming it’s true) going to a decent club, but it’s become a poor league, made weaker by the collapse of Rangers. If Rogic’s (lack of) development is anything to go, by it’s not a great place to be. 

The one benefit of being there (vs here) is I’m sure training will be of a higher standard.

Personally I’d have rather he went Dutch.

Sorry, but Rogic's development over the past 3 years has been fantastic. He was sent back to the A-League at 21/22 and looked finished at the club, at 25 now he is a huge player for us. How much more progress do you expect? 

He has up until this season only had 3 full seasons under his belt, that is fuck all in the grand scheme, he progressed from a no hope with obvious skills to a key player from early 2015-mid 2016. 

Utterly bizarre to see this chat regarding Rogic, having been watching him every single weekend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Celt said:

I find it funny seeing A-League fans dismissing the Scottish league, we are actually in very similar situations, both surrounded by riches yet expected to compete. You have China, Japan, Gulf teams and we have the poison that is English football, with their grossly inflated prices and the inflation that causes around the continent. 

Sorry, but Rogic's development over the past 3 years has been fantastic. He was sent back to the A-League at 21/22 and looked finished at the club, at 25 now he is a huge player for us. How much more progress do you expect? 

He has up until this season only had 3 full seasons under his belt, that is fuck all in the grand scheme, he progressed from a no hope with obvious skills to a key player from early 2015-mid 2016. 

Utterly bizarre to see this chat regarding Rogic, having been watching him every single weekend.

She's just bitter. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Celt said:

Against pub teams ? 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Celt said:

Interesting to hear this actually and very much appreciate you get to see him week in week out.

The frustrating thing for mine on Rogic (probably speak for a few on here as well) is that he was massively touted as thus ultra skillful, talismanic type of player that can turn games in an instance. ...but we only get to see him at international level every few years and in all honesty, his performances then don't reach that expectation or potential we all hope.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Celt said:

Yes the issue with Rogic is we see the talent but against the big opponents internationally he doesn’t deliver. Destroys the likes of Tajikistan though 

in regards to spl yes we may be too harsh but my problem is I remember the Scottish players of my youth.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Celt said:

Presumably you mean the Premiership? Leagues 1 and 2 in particular have many of the same issues re wage inflation and hoovering up of talent that I imagine the Scottish leagues have. And last time I looked they were in England....

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

Yes the issue with Rogic is we see the talent but against the big opponents internationally he doesn’t deliver. Destroys the likes of Tajikistan though 

in regards to spl yes we may be too harsh but my problem is I remember the Scottish players of my youth.

He's considered (correctly imo) to be a downhill skier that beats up on the crap teams but goes missing against decent opposition. Given he plays in a pretty good team against crap teams week in, week out then a lot of Aus fans think Celtic has been poor for his development.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, bt50 said:

He's considered (correctly imo) to be a downhill skier that beats up on the crap teams but goes missing against decent opposition. Given he plays in a pretty good team against crap teams week in, week out then a lot of Aus fans think Celtic has been poor for his development.

In which case he should go very well in the A league lol.

On 07/08/2018 at 7:14 PM, bt50 said:

Agree with this (though I think you meant flat track bully rather than downhill skier :tooth:).

Even at the WC, he did a couple of nice things but never grabbed a game by the throat and stamped himself on it. Shows flashes of brilliance but that's about it. 

Just a tease. 

7 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Agree with this (though I think you meant flat track bully rather than downhill skier :tooth:).

Even at the WC, he did a couple of nice things but never grabbed a game by the throat and stamped himself on it. Shows flashes of brilliance but that's about it. 

Just a tease. 

No i meant downhill skier haha, only does things when they are easy; disappears at any sign of a challenge. Tbf the two are fairly similar in a sporting context.
Anyways my dislike of Rogic as a player is fairly well known, most overrated bloke to pull on the shirt in my time watching the team.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, bt50 said:

No i meant downhill skier haha, only does things when they are easy; disappears at any sign of a challenge. Tbf the two are fairly similar in a sporting context.
Anyways my dislike of Rogic as a player is fairly well known, most overrated bloke to pull on the shirt in my time watching the team.

Look he's probably both tbh. Beats up on easier opposition but struggles against class defenders and gets going when his team is on top.

Gets the best of both worlds at Celtic.  

4 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Look he's probably both tbh. Beats up on easier opposition but struggles against class defenders and gets going when his team is on top.

Gets the best of both worlds at Celtic.  

Yeh and there's definitely no doubt its easier to be an attacking player when you've got other classy players around you drawing defenders and possession all the time.

IMO he wont develop as a player for Australia unless he puts himself in an environment where its much harder to get attacking opportunities. In saying that, personally i dont think he's up to it either so maybe downhill skiing and flat track bullying for good money is a wise career choice.

Edited by bt50

On 07/08/2018 at 1:04 PM, rass said:

Interesting to hear this actually and very much appreciate you get to see him week in week out.

The frustrating thing for mine on Rogic (probably speak for a few on here as well) is that he was massively touted as thus ultra skillful, talismanic type of player that can turn games in an instance. ...but we only get to see him at international level every few years and in all honesty, his performances then don't reach that expectation or potential we all hope.

This is a guy that didn't play pro youth football and was picked up playing futsal. To say there has been a lack of development in his first 3 full pro seasons is absolutely absurd (Not aiming this at you particularly). 

I don't care if folk say "But it's against pub teams", whatever you think of the league, Rogic is improving in said league every year. Celtic fans on a whole would be flabbergasted at the thought folk down under think he hasn't improved. 

On 07/08/2018 at 3:54 PM, Shahanga said:

Having watched all your WC games, I thought he looked only one of few who looked remotely capable of producing something special. Ball retention excellent against the world champions, thought he was really good against the Danes as well.  

This isn't Gareth Bale for Wales, Salah for Egypt - It's Tom Rogic at the end of the day, maybe far too much is expected.

One of his best performances came against Man City in the UCL, we played exactly to Tom's strengths and he was a headache for them all night. He can do it, but as a #10 in the hole, he needs movement and quality around him, he can do it on his own but as you have realised, that is far easier against the smaller teams. 

If I have one criticism of Rogic, it would be his fitness. His ability and touch with a football is up there with the best I have seen at Celtic. Would be absolutely gutted to lose him. 

On 07/08/2018 at 4:18 PM, fensaddler said:

Presumably you mean the Premiership? Leagues 1 and 2 in particular have many of the same issues re wage inflation and hoovering up of talent that I imagine the Scottish leagues have. And last time I looked they were in England....

Premiership, Championship - The fees coming out of both are scandalous. Leagues 1 and 2 have the same problem, I don't see the relevance, it's quite clear what I mean by "English football". 

'Ball retention' and 'Tom Rogic' should never be used in the same sentence. He's an absolute turn over machine, was something like the third most dispossessed player in the group stages and produces nowhere near the positive impact that's required to counter-act that kind of carelessness with the ball.

Easily the most overrated Socceroo I've seen. I don't really care how he plays for Celtic tbh, he's constantly failed to step up when it counts against good teams when playing for Australia. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, malloy said:

Lol. Who cares how much they paid us. 

How do u expect City to win titles... Do people see the damage that is being done. CCM signed Bolt and apparently have been offered so many international sponsorships. Victory has signed Honda an ex European player who won the league and cup with Moscow and also was a decent player maker for AC Milan when Milan were struggling. Even Sydney FC has signed players like Bobo who was okay in the Turkish league and is looking to sign Negredo who won the title with Man C and many other successful signings A-League clubs have made or looking to make.

And here we are, signing a bunch of young A-League players so Manchester City can just take them from us in 1-2 seasons and we hardly get money from it or any reward. And on top of that, season after season we get rid of big players like Colazo and Marcin who the both of them were decent players but we just never played because we would rather play Bruce Kamau and Mauk over them to which Kamau is a hack and while Mauk is an average player, Marcin could score goals even when Bruno wasn't playing. Also don't forget Brandan one of our best attackers at the club that we just got rid of after last season.

I hope the focus isn't going away from winning titles but instead being a club that develops youth for profit and has limited success.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, xXCiTyZeNXx said:

How do u expect City to win titles... Do people see the damage that is being done. CCM signed Bolt and apparently have been offered so many international sponsorships. Victory has signed Honda an ex European player who won the league and cup with Moscow and also was a decent player maker for AC Milan when Milan were struggling. Even Sydney FC has signed players like Bobo who was okay in the Turkish league and is looking to sign Negredo who won the title with Man C and many other successful signings A-League clubs have made or looking to make.

And here we are, signing a bunch of young A-League players so Manchester City can just take them from us in 1-2 seasons and we hardly get money from it or any reward. And on top of that, season after season we get rid of big players like Colazo and Marcin who the both of them were decent players but we just never played because we would rather play Bruce Kamau and Mauk over them to which Kamau is a hack and while Mauk is an average player, Marcin could score goals even when Bruno wasn't playing. Also don't forget Brandan one of our best attackers at the club that we just got rid of after last season.

I hope the focus isn't going away from winning titles but instead being a club that develops youth for profit and has limited success.

CFG are funding us regardless of the 'nominal fee'they decide to pay us for players. The money they decide to allocate to us will come whetger by loan, equity or transfer fees.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, malloy said:

CFG are funding us regardless of the 'nominal fee'they decide to pay us for players. The money they decide to allocate to us will come whetger by loan, equity or transfer fees.

As it currently stands I reckon CFG aren’t “funding” us, they are “profiting from us”.

Full marks to them for being astute businessmen but it ain’t helping us win titles.

• Like 1

Just now, Shahanga said:

As it currently stands I reckon CFG aren’t “funding” us, they are “profiting from us”.

Full marks to them for being astute businessmen but it ain’t helping us win titles.

depends on how you want to define 'profiting from us'. I doubt we are cash flow positive even taking into account Arzani and Mooy transfers.

• Like 1

It's not a question of "them and us" - we're all parts of the same organization. When Melbourne acquires or maintains an asset CFG pays the bill, and when Melbourne disposes of an asset then CFG receives the income from the disposal. Marwood has already said that in the immediate term (3 seasons)attention will be given to Melbourne's RoI because of the costs of setting up and running the academy. So we can expect the disposal of some assets.

• Like 1

So I'm gunna pull an @bt50 and be an optimist here. I think this is a net gain for us as a club long term. In 5 years we have produced two major moves to Man City. You're mad to think every young talented player in the country wouldn't want to join us now. If you successfully break through the Cfg is a safe pathway to Europe free of dodgy deals ala da Silva.

Arzani is just the beginning imo. 10 years time 50% of socceroos could be coming through us at some stage, can't help but feel a little excited about the thought of that. 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Under appreciated banter 

How did this start? Wasnt it when that girl joined (CityGirl?) and then everyone was trying to work out who was a female on the forum?

6 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Arzani is just the beginning imo. 10 years time 50% of socceroos could be coming through us at some stage, can't help but feel a little excited about the thought of that. 

Im sure youve stolen this quote from me

18 minutes ago, haz said:

How did this start? Wasnt it when that girl joined (CityGirl?) and then everyone was trying to work out who was a female on the forum?

Im sure youve stolen this quote from me

I think @Shahanga said something about how you don't know who's a woman on here and a bunch of us misinterpreted and it grew from there.

Maybe you've said it, but I just went nice round numbers.