Melbourne Football

Daniel Arzani

jeffplz

$500k.... Can we pay Ross that?

Arzani poised for Mooy-style move to Manchester City

Australian football’s golden boy Daniel Arzani has been linked with an imminent Aaron Mooy-style move to Manchester City.

Updated Updated 16 mins ago
By Dave Lewis

The Melbourne City teenager, whose soaring stocks were further enhanced with eye-catching cameo roles at the 2018 FIFA World Cup, is according to UK sources on the cusp of inking a three-year deal with Melbourne’s parent club.

It’s believed, as was the case with fellow Socceroo Mooy, Arzani will immediately be loaned out.

In his case it would be either to City Football Group satellite club NAC Breda in Holland or possibly Club Brugge in Belgium.

Arzani stated after Australia’s World Cup exit that he was heading directly to London to discuss his future with UK-based Australian agent Frank Trimboli.

If the move proceeds, it’s understood City will receive a fee in the region of $500,000 for the rising star.

Manchester City will bank on Arzani making an impact in Europe - much as Mooy did initially on loan at Huddersfield - before on-selling him for a healthy profit over several million dollars.

In Mooy’s case, City pocketed $18 million after selling the midfielder to the Terriers after a minimal investment on their behalf in spiriting him away from Australia.

Arzani’s future has been the subject of intense speculation since he lit up the A-League at the back end of last season and forcing his way into Bert van Marwijk’s World Cup calculations.

Melbourne City coach Warren Joyce is understood to be keen for Arzani to stay another season in Australia to continue his development, but the exciting game-breaker was categorical while on Socceroos duty in Russia that he had played his last game in the A-League.

The World Game sought comment from Arzani’s management team on Thursday night.

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/arzani-poised-for-mooy-style-move-to-manchester-city

It will be a shame if Arzani isn’t playing for Melbourne next season. With one season left on his contract he holds all the cards on where he wants to play. Hopefully he will sign an extension and give the Melbourne fans another season. It would be great to see him win trophies with Melbourne and then give it a go in Europe as a winner!

Good for him but still pretty disappointing for us. It would have been nice to watch him play a full season.

Not sure what the plan is here. Man City won’t splash out on stars or even ageing stars for us. The minute we find or develop our own they are shipped out...

How are we going to bring in new fans and generate excitement without either of the two? Arzani would have put a few more bums in seats, a lot of your “one every four year” football fans  got around his hype.

If they ship him out they need to bring in a marquee with a recognizable name.

7 hours ago, haz said:

$500k is a kick in the pants, fmd! If he's gone then sell him for a big fee to another club, i know our overlords wont like that comment but no fucks about Man City really. They keep bleeding us dry and give us Budzinski last season. 

Yep, if that's right then I'd definitely say we're likely to see much more investment in the club beyond the 500k of the transfer fee if the numbers are reported to be correct.

Don't sleep on the fact that NYCFCs crowds have dropped by ~8k since season one and that the development pathways in the USA are much trickier to try to get hold of all the best young talent it and nurture it than in Australia.

2 hours ago, Hanz said:

Not sure what the plan is here. Man City won’t splash out on stars or even ageing stars for us. The minute we find or develop our own they are shipped out...

Not sure that's overly fair tbh. Whilst they absolutely fucked up last year with Bud no doubt, they forked out big money to get Cahill, unseen in this league before and god knows what sort of wrangling they do behind the scenes in regards to the cap. If you looked at our marquee $ spent in comparison with every one else, it would still be in the top 2 or 3.
Hopefully with Arzani going we get looked after this year though. A good 10 or winger that actually scores can set us up for a really good crack at it.

28 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Not sure that's overly fair tbh. Whilst they absolutely fucked up last year with Bud no doubt, they forked out big money to get Cahill, unseen in this league before and god knows what sort of wrangling they do behind the scenes in regards to the cap. If you looked at our marquee $ spent in comparison with every one else, it would still be in the top 2 or 3.
Hopefully with Arzani going we get looked after this year though. A good 10 or winger that actually scores can set us up for a really good crack at it.

That's right, and people are forgetting that Manchester City funds all our operating losses every year. A-League, W-League, NYL, NPL, the Academy, City in the Community...everything. Us developing players here is convenient for them and they are paying for it, so I see the (rumoured) $500,000 as a sort of bonus for "getting it right" with Arzani.

If Arzani signs for someone other than Manchester, then yes, we could be in line for a much bigger fee than $500,000, but I'm sure that in that circumstance Manchester would claw back the difference by reducing their funding to us over a period. It's unreasonable to expect them to be our owners but not have claim to players we develop.

• Like 2

Firstly, I would like to think there is still a slight chance he is loaned back to us. Not convinced at all he is ready at all go to holland or belgium and spend large amounts of time on the pine. He is young, and needs to play and develop into a 90 minute player at adult level. He isnt even there yet.

For his development, coming back to us as a starter for a year is the best thing. Interesting to see what he does and how CFG play it.

Ok, on the transfer  - I really think some need to look at the bigger picture. It is absolutely imperative that he gets a seamless transition from Melbourne to Man City under the CFG banner. Following Mooy, now Daniel - this will be HUGE for us in relation to the best talent in the country choosing us as their pathway to Europe. Anything else is just madness by us - not that of course it would ever be considered. We are owned by CFG, and we are party of the family.

The industry is cut throat, and will spit out people the second they are not needed. For players in Australia to see such a clear, professional and frankly second to none pathway to to the global world of football - it's worth its weight in gold! 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

That's right, and people are forgetting that Manchester City funds all our operating losses every year. A-League, W-League, NYL, NPL, the Academy, City in the Community...everything. Us developing players here is convenient for them and they are paying for it, so I see the (rumoured) $500,000 as a sort of bonus for "getting it right" with Arzani.

If Arzani signs for someone other than Manchester, then yes, we could be in line for a much bigger fee than $500,000, but I'm sure that in that circumstance Manchester would claw back the difference by reducing their funding to us over a period. It's unreasonable to expect them to be our owners but not have claim to players we develop.

Agree, but in saying that i think the transfer fee is pretty much an exercise in accounting as @Dylan has said elsewhere. Nevertheless, the more profit Daniel makes the group, the more they are likely to invest in us as a club. A healthy mix of the big stars of Aust and international football and the best youth in the country should be a good product for the supporters to consume. Once we can start turning that into trophies then god help everyone else! :)

• Like 5

5 hours ago, bt50 said:

Agree, but in saying that i think the transfer fee is pretty much an exercise in accounting as @Dylan has said elsewhere. Nevertheless, the more profit Daniel makes the group, the more they are likely to invest in us as a club. A healthy mix of the big stars of Aust and international football and the best youth in the country should be a good product for the supporters to consume. Once we can start turning that into trophies then god help everyone else! :)

The biggest blockage is the FFA. More rules will be made to stop us improving and making the league quality better.

I hope it changes in November (I doubt it)

8 hours ago, haz said:

The biggest blockage is the FFA. More rules will be made to stop us improving and making the league quality better.

I hope it changes in November (I doubt it)

Don't see how the FFA could ever stop the transfer of a player like Arzani, who could always sign a "pre free transfer" contract before his a league deal finishes, meaning he leaves at the end of his local deal for nothing.

Plus the FFA has been shown to want / be happy with foreign investment for the clubs.  It's made its own bed there; you can't take the money to start with and then expect to change the goalposts (ie the whole current impasse)

Edited by mattyh001

4 hours ago, Dylan said:

City are doing what Heart started and wanted to do. We are now clearly the destination for the best young players to develop

Makes Joyces hiring just. I think that makes us exciting. Mooy and now Arzani. Having the City connections is clearly a good resource at your disposal

22 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Absolutely and wouldnt expect the owners to do otherwise, i just dont want the club to be left out as far as players go. How long have we needed a proper number 10 for? A good 10 could have a huge impact on crowd numbers especially if he is a big name. Look how many players went to NYCFC, some were a bit long in the tooth by the time they got there (like a certain wanker that played for us) no doubt but they still got looked after. 

15 hours ago, mattyh001 said:

Don't see how the FFA could ever stop the transfer of a player like Arzani, who could always sign a "pre free transfer" contract before his a league deal finishes, meaning he leaves at the end of his local deal for nothing.

Plus the FFA has been shown to want / be happy with foreign investment for the clubs.  It's made its own bed there; you can't take the money to start with and then expect to change the goalposts (ie the whole current impasse)

Nothing to do with Arzani going, more the fact that we could have had Lampard, or an EDS player or two.

16 minutes ago, haz said:

Nothing to do with Arzani going, more the fact that we could have had Lampard, or an EDS player or two.

The only ways we could ever have a Manchester City player are as a marquee, a guest marquee, or a guest player.

15 hours ago, mattyh001 said:

I'm not sure that FFA is happy with foreign investment. Its happiness depends on the investor being prepared to shut up and sit in the corner and take the shit that FFA throws at them. Once the investor starts trying to loosen the hold that FFA has over Australian football - as has CFG - then FFA is not happy at all, and we've seen this with Lowy and Gallop.

I don't think we'd have seen the Marwood comments on the investment climate in Australia if FFA was happy with what we've brought to the table over the past four years.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

The only ways we could ever have a Manchester City player are as a marquee, a guest marquee, or a guest player.

Or as a normal Visa player on loan. Of course we pay wages if hes not in a marquee spot

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I'm not sure that FFA is happy with foreign investment. Its happiness depends on the investor being prepared to shut up and sit in the corner and take the shit that FFA throws at them. Once the investor starts trying to loosen the hold that FFA has over Australian football - as has CFG - then FFA is not happy at all, and we've seen this with Lowy and Gallop.

I don't think we'd have seen the Marwood comments on the investment climate in Australia if FFA was happy with what we've brought to the table over the past four years.

If the FFA didn't want foreign owners, they wouldn't have sold Brisbane to Bakries, and stepped in more regarding other foreign sales (ours included).

You're right that they don't like being told what to do and they don't like push back - but from anyone; domestic owner or foreign, players group, supporters, clubs or state bodies.

That's why I say that the FFA has made its own bed here. They've let things slip while the leagues out grown them 

4 hours ago, haz said:

Took the original post to mean Arzani.

Would have been great to see Lampard, but since we're the only team with massive backing I doubt that it would have been great long term for the league.

Can't see how being in a comp like Scotland (with 1 or 2 teams a chance of winning) is much good for the broader supporter base.

Nor do I want us living off the scraps from Man City from a young loanee out of their system for the sake of development. Bring out quality for this comp as an end in itself, not to appease youth numbers there

Edited by mattyh001

• 2 weeks later...

Surely CFG would do the Mooy/Caceres deal and then loan him back to Melbourne City? 

1. It would be a reflection on their trust in their club to develop him for another season

2. One year of development in the A-league wouldn't hurt his development if he were to go to Netherlands/Belgium (i said one year)

3. Surely they are trying to grow their brand and know they will get a few extra bums on seats for Melbourne City and therefore boost revenue by keeping him here rather than loaning out to another club

TBH I'm a bit worried about Arzani - fearful he's going to be dazzled by the money dangled in front of him and pushed in the wrong direction by his agent. Vince Grella is also De Silva's agent, and has got that young lad tangled up in a contract that no-one seems to fully understand and that has left him in the boondocks of Gosford.

IMO it's a pity that Arzani didn't come back to Melbourne straightaway because I think Joyce is a good influence and would talk sense to the boy.

• Like 6

17 hours ago, pattyd89 said:

Surely CFG would do the Mooy/Caceres deal and then loan him back to Melbourne City? 

1. It would be a reflection on their trust in their club to develop him for another season

2. One year of development in the A-league wouldn't hurt his development if he were to go to Netherlands/Belgium (i said one year)

3. Surely they are trying to grow their brand and know they will get a few extra bums on seats for Melbourne City and therefore boost revenue by keeping him here rather than loaning out to another club

I think it would be the best situation, I hope his dad is in his ear more than Grella.