Melbourne Football

Daniel Arzani

jeffplz

Daniel Arzani could be Australian soccer’s next $1 million man

CITY Football Group looks set to offer Melbourne City starlet Daniel Arzani an Aaron Mooy-style deal by in a bid to lock in Australia’s hottest young property. Arzani, 19, is destined to become Australia’s next $1 million dollar talent, producing the most electric batch of debut starting performances for a teenager in the A-League era. The attacker, this week flagged as a 2018 World Cup hopeful by Sydney FC coach and future Socceroos coach Graham Arnold, is believed to be on the radar of Iran.

Australian youth international Arzani’s parents are Iranian. His emergence was rewarded on Tuesday with January’s NAB Young Footballer of the Month nomination. Arzani’s contract expires at the end of the season and he was attracting interest from A-League clubs before his breakthrough. City tried to open negotiations in December but it’s understood Arzani baulked at re-signing as he’d played just 23 A-League minutes. A clause in Arzani’s contract will trigger an extension if he plays out the rest of the season, but City is leaving nothing to chance.

CFG want to sign Arzani on a multi-year deal and offer him similar pathways to that of Mooy, who was loaned to Huddersfield Town before they paid a $15 million-plus transfer fee after he helped them win promotion. Arzani could be signed by CFG and loaned back to Melbourne City or remain a City contracted player before a sister-club — presumably Manchester City — signs him in coming years and potentially loans him out as with Mooy.

City refused to comment on Arzani’s contract negotiations but did confirm the trigger clause in his existing deal. Coach Warren Joyce praised Arzani’s poise last week and conceded his teammates under-utilised him. “It frustrates me that after the first 10-15 minutes when he (Arzani) has gone past the full-back three times like he’s not there, that we then stopped giving him the ball,’’ Joyce said. “We’ve got to recognise that during games. In that little bit of a spell (for a player), if you keep getting the ball, the left-back’s got a problem. We stopped doing it.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league/daniel-arzani-could-be-australian-soccers-next-1-million-man/news-story/56f7fc83b950796ac216e400d27cff58

37 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Man the kid has played less than 6 games. I fully agree he has immense talent but is still very raw 

Without sounding like a killjoy he is due for a couple stinkers. It will be interesting to see how poor his poor games will be.

You are probably right. Especially when you consider the quality of the fullbacks in this league isn't particularly high (I honestly believe outside of keepers its the weakest position in the a league) 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jovan said:

Man the kid has played less than 6 games. I fully agree he has immense talent but is still very raw 

Without sounding like a killjoy he is due for a couple stinkers. It will be interesting to see how poor his poor games will be.

I’m more interested in the forum reaction

58 minutes ago, Dylan said:

I’m more interested in the forum reaction

He probably would cop the same as Kamau after a few poor games. 

Edited by Jovan
And I'm not comparing them as players just the forum being overly critical of players.
  • Like 1

Davutovic's latest info on Arzani's contract situation (posted on Jan 31st): 

Not concrete overseas interest, but there will be by the end of the season. Local interest from his home city Sydney. I think he'll stay with Melbourne City and pursue a path with CFG - another 2 seasons at City I reckon

https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/teams/melbourne-city/daniel-arzani-could-be-australian-soccers-next-1-million-man/news-story/56f7fc83b950796ac216e400d27cff58

2 hours ago, Murfy1 said:

Bloody good news if that is true. IMHO the best thing for Arzani, and for us potential proof of the competitive advantage offered by CFG.

• Like 1

ARZANI: YOUNG PLAYERS OFTEN GET OVERLOOKED

By Clement Tito Feb 1 2018 

Teenage Melbourne City sensation Daniel Arzani believes young players don’t get enough of a chance in Australia.

Arzani has played seven games for City this season and netted his first goal last week against Newcastle Jets from a penalty.

The 19-year-old was recently nominated for Young Footballer of the Year and has developed in City’s youth academy.

Along with Arzani, youngsters Dylan Pierias, Denis Genreau and Braedyn Crowley have all had a sniff of senior football with City in the past two seasons.

Arzani believes more Australian teenagers should be getting a chance at senior level.

“I think there’s a lot of untouched talent in Australia, I think young Australian players often get overlooked for older foreign players,” Arzani said on Thursday.

“I think given the chance, a lot of them will actually do really well. This season, we’ve got a couple of young players around the league doing well.

“We’ve got (Christian) Theoharous, (Jacob) Italiano and I think we’ve got a lot of talent who can do well also.”

With the amount of hype surrounding Arzani, he said the connections the City Football Group had were exciting, but was not thinking about a stint in Europe just yet.

“You see so many Australian players, they go to Europe, they come back early and sometimes they go too early,” he said.

“They should spend another year in the league, work on their game, their fitness, physicality and that’s what I’ve got to do.

“I’ve got to get fitter, but I also think I’ve got to get stronger. I’ve got to be able to really dominate bigger defenders and I think that’s what you see from the little guys in the big leagues.

“I’m just seeing what happens here. I think you’ve got to achieve something first in the A-League if you want to have a chance achieving something anywhere else in the world, so it’s just whenever that comes about.”

Arzani also said he was confident his experience in the seniors will give his peers the confidence they would get a crack in the first-team.

The 19-year-old took things into his own hands when he scored the penalty last week.

“It was very exciting, I just grabbed the ball to be honest and I went up to (Michael) Jakobsen asking ‘can I take it?’ and he said ‘yeah, no worries’,” Arzani joked.

“He wasn’t too keen on letting me take it, because I missed a couple in training the day before, but I said ‘nah, nah, I got this’ and he said ‘yeah, alright’.

“Of course I was nervous, if I missed? Imagine… I was just happy to get the goal.

“I wanted it, but credit goes to the boys, because we have a lot of experienced goal scorers and they said this was the chance for you to take it.

“I think the other young boys knew that when the new gaffer came in, they saw that if you’re doing well, the gaffer will give you a chance.

“They’re doing well now, but they just need to wait for that chance and when it comes I’m sure they’ll take it, so it’s very exciting.

“Ramy Najjarine - he’s a gun. Pierias, Connor Metcalfe and Denis… I think you’ll see them all in the coming years.”

Arzani has experience with the junior Australian national teams but is still yet to be capped at senior level.

Many reports have touted him as a potential smoky for the Socceroos’ World Cup squad this year.

Newly appointed Socceroos boss Bert van Marwijk will be addressing the media for the first time on Thursday and will be keeping a close eye on the games down under this weekend.

Arzani’s parents are from Iran which makes him eligible to play for them, however is unsure about which country he would pick.

He added: “It’s any kid’s dream, growing up, you want to play in a World Cup, you want to play in the A-League and all the top league’s everywhere and I’m just happy to be getting my opportunity.”

https://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/news/arzani-young-players-often-get-overlooked-484226

Young A-League star Daniel Arzani torn between representing Australian or Iran

Matt Windley, Herald Sun

February 1, 2018 11:09am

THE Socceroos may lose out on the services of one of the country’s brightest prospects, with Melbourne City young gun Daniel Arzani admitting he has “no idea” if he wants to play international football for Australia or Iran.

Arzani was born in Iran to Iranian parents, but was raised in Sydney, making him eligible to represent both nations.

The 19-year-old attacking midfielder has been a revelation since breaking in to City’s first XI in early January.

And Sydney FC coach Graham Arnold - who may yet be the Socceroos boss after this year’s World Cup - has even touted Arzani as a potential bolter for the Socceroos squad for Russia, something which a flattered Arzani said on Thursday morning he is “not thinking too much about” yet.

But with this potential international tug-of-war looming, Arzani may even be an outside chance of featuring in Iran’s squad in June, with suggestions he is already on the radar of Team Melli coach Carlos Queiroz.

Asked directly who he would choose today if both Australia and Iran came calling, Arzani baulked at providing a definitive answer.

“I’ve got no idea,” Arzani said.

“To be honest, I haven’t really thought about it at all.

“I was born in Iran, but raised in Australia. I’d have to talk to my parents, my father, and we’d have to decide together.”

Arzani’s existing City contract expires at the end of this season, with Sydney FC and Western Sydney said to be among those interested in poaching the talented teen.

But Arzani is comfortable with the contract situation, as he said there is a “clause in my contract that extends me to next season” if certain requirements are met.

He said he has no pre-conceived idea about when he would like to ply his trade abroad, only to say that “I think you’ve got to achieve something in the A-League first” before making a move.

And he also said the pathways that Melbourne City provides to the rest of the world - a la Aaron Mooy’s move to Huddersfield Town via Manchester City - made remaining at his current club all the more appealing.

“It’s very exciting,” he said.

“We all know about the connections the City Football Group has.

“But I think at the end of the day anything only comes about if you’re performing. And if you’re not performing nothing will happen, so I’ve just got to keep going.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/socceroos/young-aleague-star-daniel-arzani-torn-between-representing-australian-or-iran/news-story/135fde6668cd09a5265887707899e1d1

• Thanks 1

The bit that got me excited was the way he singled out Najjarine as a gun, compared to the other lads.

To me that indicates he has a very high opinion of his abilities. If so, wouldn't it be great to see them play together for us at some stage in the near future....

21 minutes ago, rass said:

The bit that got me excited was the way he singled out Najjarine as a gun, compared to the other lads.

To me that indicates he has a very high opinion of his abilities. If so, wouldn't it be great to see them play together for us at some stage in the near future....

Or they are best best mates haha.

• Like 1

Socceroos to reach out to young gun Arzani

AAP
1 FEB 2018

Socceroos staffers will reach out to rising Melbourne City star Daniel Arzani as he mulls his international future.

But Football Federation Australia's head of national teams Luke Casserly says it will be disappointing if Arzani chooses to represent Iran over Australia.

Arzani, 19, has lit up the A-League over the past two months but says he has no idea which national team he wants to play for.

Born in Iran but raised in Sydney, Arzani has represented Australia at under-17, under-20 and under-23 level and came through FFA's now-shuttered Centre of Excellence at the AIS.

However, reports indicate Iran are tracking his progress and could entice him to change loyalties with a spot in their World Cup squad.

"To be honest, I haven't really thought about it at all," Arzani told reporters on Thursday.

"I'd have to talk to my parents, I'd have to talk to my father and we'd have to decide together.

"I've got no idea."

Sydney FC coach Graham Arnold said last week that Arzani was pushing himself into Australia's World Cup calculations since emerging as City's new attacking spark.

Socceroos coach Bert van Marwijk was careful not to single out any players for attention when he fronted the media in Sydney on Thursday - but there's little doubt Arzani will soon come to his attention as he casts an eye over the A-League in the coming weeks.

Casserly, who helped orchestrate van Marwijk's deal, said he was keen to see Arzani stay in the green and gold.

"We've invested a fair bit in him over the years," Casserly told AAP.

"It would be disappointing if he was to change allegiances. But, as always, it's the decision of the individual."

Arzani, who has been named the January nominee for the A-League's young player of the year award, said he was taking all the extra attention - on-field and off - in his stride.

"A lot of the things we're talking about now, they wouldn't even be talked about if I wasn't doing well," he said.

"I've got to continue doing well to have any chance of being in the World Cup squad or achieving anything, really."

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2018/02/01/socceroos-reach-out-young-gun-arzani-0

2 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Based on some conversations with an Iranian friend I’ve had, there’s enough negatives about modern day Iran to make some good people draw a line under the place.

I’d say we’re a good chance of keeping the kid.

TBH he is probably just leveraging it to get a call up to the NT and raise his profile.

• Like 1

I think people are jumping to conclusions and just making stuff up. 

What he said was, 

"To be honest, I haven't really thought about it at all," Arzani told reporters on Thursday.

"I'd have to talk to my parents, I'd have to talk to my father and we'd have to decide together.

"I've got no idea."

It's pretty clear he hasn't really thought about it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Melbourne City young gun Daniel Arzani says public attention has been ‘a little bit crazy’ since his A-League emergence

MATT WINDLEY

February 20, 2018 

DANIEL Arzani isn’t sure what all the fuss is about.

The Melbourne City young gun has been all the rage since storming into his side’s starting XI in January and the attention he has received since has been “a little bit crazy”, he said.

But while the football public is fawning over the 19-year-old, the man who should be Arzani’s No. 1 fan has recently given the attacking whiz a dose of reality.

City players were given last weekend off and Arzani returned home to Sydney for two nights — where he got less than a rock star reception.

“My old man, he’s a tough one,” Arzani said with a laugh.

“He’s one of those ones that’s never really completely satisfied.

“So, going back home, he chucked on the Sydney FC game straight away and was giving me pointers and telling me the things he thought I was doing wrong.

“He’s happy that I’m doing well, but for him it’s just the first steps. And I agree as well.”

With such conjecture about the A-League’s role in developing Australia’s youth stocks, Arzani has become a pin-up boy for showcasing the abilities of the next generation of stars.

He’s also had the added pressures of dealing with speculation about his international future and whether he will one day play for the Socceroos or Iran.

But being just 15 games into his professional career, Arzani said the hype around him had been a little bit extreme.

“Yeah, to be honest, it’s been a little bit crazy,” he said.

“I’ve just been doing what I’ve been doing my whole life and to me it’s a little bit scary because I’m still not playing as good as I can.

“I’m still maybe at only 70 per cent of my maximum. Usually I score a lot of goals, especially in the NYL (National Youth League), but in the A-League I haven’t been able to find the back of the net from open play.

“So with me, the stories, I’m a little bit shocked, but I’m also happy as well.”

But the Australian youth international said he isn’t trying to hide under a rock either.

“I haven’t been trying to keep away from it, but I don’t actively seek it out either,” he said.

“Sometimes my cousin might send me something and I’ll look at it, or my brother or my dad.

“But I don’t look too deeply into it because things can be said in the media that isn’t a true reflection of what is really going on.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league/melbourne-city-young-gun-daniel-arzani-says-public-attention-has-been-a-little-bit-crazy-since-his-aleague-emergence/news-story/8bdefed92416089b1e33baf1226151c4

Iran make play for Socceroos’ emerging golden boy Daniel Arzani

David Davutovic

February 28, 2018

THE Socceroos’ Asian rivals Iran have every right to make a play for Australian soccer’s emerging golden boy Daniel Arzani, if his upbringing is any guide.

Arzani’s footballing PhD was completed at Canberra’s Centre of Excellence (previously AIS), but two stints in Iran – where he was born – helped ready him for the sporting workforce.

The Melbourne City attacker has produced seven of the best first XI performances of the A-League season, let alone for a youngster making his first seven senior starts.

The Young Socceroo has attracted interest from Iran, who’ve also qualified for Russia 2018, although it’s understood that he has informed officials of his preference to play for the Socceroos.

Primed for a maiden Melbourne derby start tomorrow (Friday) night at AAMI Park, Arzani revealed how his Iranian childhood shaped his career.

“I was born in Khorramabad (Iran). I spent the first few years of my life there and in grade five, when I was about 10, my family moved back there for a year. That’s where I gained a lot of my football ability,’’ Arzani told the Herald Sun.

“We’d wake up in the morning, walk down to the local bakery, buy some fresh bread, someone else would get some fresh cheese.

“We’d sit on the side of the side of the street, eat cheese and bread for breakfast and then just play football until it got dark. Boots as goals and little plastic balls.”

The Socceroos’ 2006 World Cup golden generation was underpinned by multiculturalism and Arzani is a classic tail of a kid with a love for two nations.

Arzani, who grew up in Maroubra, admitted “it was a bit of a guilty pleasure” seeing Iran qualify for the 2018 World Cup from the other Asian group.

Only a few years ago he was in the terraces supporting Iran in one of the most memorable games of the 2015 Asian Cup, in ‘Team Melli’s’ controversial penalty shoot-out loss to Iraq in front of 18,921 fans.

“I went to the Iran-Iraq game in Canberra, it was unbelievable. The atmosphere was crazy, Iran should’ve won that game – that shouldn’t have been a red card (to Mehrdad Pooladi),’’ he said.

“I was there with my cousins that drove down from Sydney, it was crazy.

“I’ve always had a love for the Iranian national team. But also at the some time I followed Australian football a lot more because at the end of the day everything I have today is because of Australian football.

“I was a scholar at the AIS so I’ve got Australian football to thank.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/socceroos/iran-make-play-for-socceroos-emerging-golden-boy-daniel-arzani/news-story/6d0bebcbc78ca6c0b993232cc3b52f85

35 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Fitness is probably a driver there. 

Disappointed to see guys like Rukavytsa, Kruse and Troisi getting a nod despite poor form/being absolute shitcunts. Would have GolGol in that side above any of those 3 at the moment.

• Like 4