Melbourne Football

Daniel Arzani

jeffplz

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

Agreed, but the ref is of the even up school. He internalised that he stuffed up the penalty decision (not so sure he did tbh, but he certainly let the on field protests and crowd reaction get to him), then gave licence to those tackles as a way of letting Glory even it up. Bloody stupid, as careers get ended like that. There are several teams in this league who will try to intimidate their way back into a game, and Perth, along with Victory and Roar, are amongst the worst offenders.  And yes, the irony of some players on the Glory side whinging about simulation...

The match is played in real time, and should be reviewed in real time. You can look at the video of the incident as many times you like in real time, and it's every inch a penalty. It's only when you play the video in slow motion from one particular angle that it looks as though Arzani went down too easily.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

City’s bid to extend hot-shot McCormack’s loan on a knife edge

By Dave Lewis

16 JAN 2018 - 6:57 PM  UPDATED 1 HOUR AGO

[...]

City, meanwhile, are confident they can keep boom youngster Daniel Arzani at the club, despite talk of a switch elsewhere in the A-League for the budding 19-year-old magician.

Arzani has been linked with Sydney FC and Western Sydney Wanderers, but City officials believe he will dig in and continue to develop under Joyce, with his career path far more likely to result in an eventual EPL move under the umbrella of the City Football Group.

That trend was cemented by Aaron Mooy with his move to Manchester City, and eventual A$17 million sale to Huddersfield.

And City are convinced Arzani, whose dancing feet have left a trail of bewildered defenders in recent weeks, sees the merit of inking a contract extension beyond June.

Arzani is represented by one of football’s leading agencies, Base Soccer, which has on its books the likes of Ashley Young (Manchester United) Mohammed Elneny (Arsenal), Kyle Walker (Manchester City), and Danny Rose (Tottenham).

It also brokered the recent deal which saw former Socceroos coach Ange Postecoglou take charge at J.League club Yokohama F. Marinos.

London-based Australian Frank Trimboli and former Socceroo turned player agent Vince Grella are part of the Base Soccer team.

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2018/01/16/citys-bid-extend-hot-shot-mccormacks-loan-knife-edge

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Our new Novillo imo. Lets hope he doesnt bash his partner

Arzani is so small I think his partner would bash him :tooth:

Im just happy theres finally another HAL player that likes to run at defenders. I dont know why more dont do it, what are they scared of?

Edited by haz
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, haz said:

I dont know why more dont do it, what are they scared of?

They don't because most can't and they are scared of embarrassing themselves and losing the ball ... 

Aziz was a player that could consistently do it ... and then there was Kuzi who thought he could, but really just did his random step overs  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Torn Asunder said:

They don't because most can't and they are scared of embarrassing themselves and losing the ball ... 

Aziz was a player that could consistently do it ... and then there was Kuzi who thought he could, but really just did his random step overs  

At least Kuzi tried, if you never do something youll never get better at it.

But I would see Waz at the sort of guy who would have dropped Kuzi after one game for doing it :tooth:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, haz said:

At least Kuzi tried, if you never do something youll never get better at it.

But I would see Waz at the sort of guy who would have dropped Kuzi after one game for doing it :tooth:

"What da fook is that fancy tap dancin step over shite, you can sit on the pine Kuzi" 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Teenager Daniel Arzani instrumental in City’s 5-0 demolition of Adelaide

David Davutovic

January 21, 2018

MELBOURNE City has had an unhealthy reliance on Ross McCormack – until now. Two words – Daniel Arzani.

The teenager starred in the 5-0 demolition of fellow finals contender Adelaide United, laying the platform as Marcin Budzinski was netting a brace, before Dario Vidosic and McCormack taunted the visitors with late stunners as City returned to third on the ladder.

City’s front four included Polish marquee player Budzinski, World Cup and 23-game Socceroo Vidosic and Nick Fitzgerald – the guy who City’s football department hold up as a role model in work ethic.

In just his third A-League start, Arzani has less established himself in the first XI than assumed responsibility as City’s attacking focal point.

Arzani’s got a full bag of attacking tricks and a bucketload of confidence to boot, as displayed at AAMI Park:

- Finding pockets of space and the confidence to demand the ball, such as his assist for Budzinski’s first goal when he timed his run perfectly before beating two players;

- Identifying and then penetrating space, as he regularly pinned his ears back and took on the United defence;

- Canny use of his body to protect the ball and beat players;

- An impressive bag of skills, displaying the Zidane turn, nutmegs and stepovers.

In just six games and 283 minutes this season, he’s become a target for opposition but far from intimidated, he’s won it as a badge of honour.

An enthralling duel with Ersan Gulum, winning a free-kick which led to the first goal, and later Adelaide captain Isaias said much about his surety.

Burly Gulum slung him to the ground as Arzani harassed after almost skinning him, before Isaias went chest to chest with him after he slalomed past the Adelaide defence. Arzani nonchalantly shrugged him off.

Arzani has been directly involved in five City goals this season, with his fingerprints all over City’s crucial opener.

His dominance forced an Adelaide reshuffle at halftime, with Ben Garuccio brought on at left-back to contain Arzani with Ryan Strain moved into midfield.

Arzani was spent when he limped off on 67 minutes, replaced by McCormack.

His engine needs most work, though his last two actions of the game were a 50-metre defensive chase and being clattered by desperate defender Jordan Elsey.

City struggled to find avenues to goal without McCormack, who’d netted 13 of their 21 goals this season prior to Sunday.

Yet just moments after McCormack struck the crossbar with an outrageous lob attempt, Vidosic scored a spectacular volley to kill the game off before adding another in stoppage time along with McCormack.

The only blemish for City was an ankle injury to Nathaniel Atkinson, who was stretchered off after a long delay.

MELBOURNE CITY 5 (Budzinski 30, 35, Vidosic 89, 90+2, McCormack 90+5)

ADELAIDE UNITED 0

Crowd: 8103 at AAMI Park

Referee: Adam Fielding

Yellow cards: Elsey 44, Bouzanis 52, Schenkeveld 56, Isaias 59.

Red cards: Nil.

DAVUTOVIC’S MAN OF THE MATCH

Daniel Arzani (Melbourne City)

The teenager starred in the win, stepping up when the game was in the balance and taking control, causing the Adelaide defence havoc off the right wing.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league/teenager-daniel-arzani-instrumental-in-citys-50-demolition-of-adelaide/news-story/79ba979333cfc3503ba24f6439a8b047

Talented Arzani in A-League demand

Ben McKay

AAP / 21 January 2018

Melbourne City won't throw the kitchen sink at Daniel Arzani or beg the one of the A-League's best young talents to stay beyond his contract at season's end.

But based on the 19-year-old performances, over the last five weeks, he's likely to be attracting greater interest and commanding a higher fee.

Arzani has put together back-to-back best afield performances at AAMI Park, helping resuscitate Melbourne City's season.

When he came on as a 53rd minute substitute against Wellington earlier this month, City were a goal down to the league's bottom side after three losses in a row.

Two Arzani assists later, City were 2-1 winners.

He won the free-kick and penalty that Ross McCormack converted in a 2-0 win the following week in Perth.

Against Adelaide United, Arzani was the livewire that got City's party started.

His mazy run before Marcin Budzinski's opener was typical of the "X-Factor talent" that coach Warren Joyce sees in him.

But that doesn't mean he's the finished product.

"He's certainly got talent ... qualities that can win games and create chances," Joyce said.

"He's got a lot of bad habits.

"Sometimes that's not his fault, people have allowed him to get away with things.

"Over a period of time they become permanent. He's got a lot of things he's got to improve on."

Joyce believes Arzani can develop that talent at City - but not at any cost.

"You want players that want to stay here and play here. You'd like to think that he thought there might be a pathway to his development by being involved in Melbourne City," he said.

"We're not begging him to come and stay here if he doesn't think we can help him develop his future ... and achieve his aims.

"It's got to be a two-way thing.

"If (players) they don't think that, they might as well not be here."

As for whether Arzani is likely to stay at the club, which signed the Sydneysider after stints with the NSW Institute of Sport and the AIS, Joyce said he didn't know.

"I've not really discussed it with him. That's not my really concern at the minute. My concern is developing the things he needs to get better at," he said.

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/football/a/38672758/talented-arzani-in-a-league-demand/

Edited by Murfy1

Let's be honest, if he goes to another a-league club it would be a disaster and a massive wake up call for this club. In fact, even if he choses to leave the city group and pursue international options himself it would be a wake up call.

The advantages we have in relation to resources, connections etc should mean one of the best prospects for his age in this country should have no hesitation in staying with the group.

It would be a sign than the 'gloss' is coming off the CFG structure in this country = due to CFG allowing us to sleepwalk and totally balls  up everything we touch.

2 minutes ago, CityHeart said:

Let's be honest, if he goes to another a-league club it would be a disaster and a massive wake up call for this club. In fact, even if he choses to leave the city group and pursue international options himself it would be a wake up call.

The advantages we have in relation to resources, connections etc should mean one of the best prospects for his age in this country should have no hesitation in staying with the group.

It would be a sign than the 'gloss' is coming off the CFG structure in this country = due to CFG allowing us to sleepwalk and totally balls  up everything we touch.

Yeah cant say I agree with that, a lot of times with these young kids someone gets in their ear, either their parents or agent and they go off. Now since I have obviously been a huge Wazza supporter since the start, and still am, you would hope that Arzani would see Joyce's probably real expertise is in young player development and  that he is best to stay.  

Anyway after the game he said all the right things to Zappers but really, any interview has to be taken with a huge bucket of salt

• Haha 1

cant agree with that and it has nothing to do with wazza directly.

He chose us from Sydney 2 years ago as it seemed and should still be the case, that the pathway is just chalk and cheese with us and anyone else in the region. That has to be a fact. If he wasnt getting games ie overlooked I would agree. This bloke in a handful of games has become our most talented and best offensive threat already. 

If he goes back to Sydney, we have to seriously have a look at ourselves.

This kid is so much fun to watch. Insanely talented and brimming with confidence, if he gets some more fitness he will be a superstar. I love the way he pisses off all the opposition players too and just shrugs it off. I thought Isais was going to have an aneurysm after he kept skinning him over and over. Great to see

• Like 3

My 5 year old boy comes to most games, and its hard to get him to pay attention to the match, but he quickly picked up on Arzani.  Without any prompting he became interested in the game, hoping that Arzani would get the ball and he was fascinated whenever he was in the play, and he thought he was our best player.  Its true that the whole crowd buzzes everytime he goes near the ball... its a genuine expectation that something will happen, and its fantastic to watch. 

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

My 5 year old boy comes to most games, and its hard to get him to pay attention to the match, but he quickly picked up on Arzani.  Without any prompting he became interested in the game, hoping that Arzani would get the ball and he was fascinated whenever he was in the play, and he thought he was our best player.  Its true that the whole crowd buzzes everytime he goes near the ball... its a genuine expectation that something will happen, and its fantastic to watch. 

We've had so many players that it's difficult to remember every one...but am I right in sensing that Atkinson and Arzani are the first players to really give the fans that "buzz" and the feeling that they are "our club's boys"?

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

We've had so many players that it's difficult to remember every one...but am I right in sensing that Atkinson and Arzani are the first players to really give the fans that "buzz" and the feeling that they are "our club's boys"?

Even though he joined at an older age, I think Mooy generated that kind of feeling.

Arzani and Atkinson definitely have generated some serious buzz in that regard though. Arzani easily got the largest amount of applause during the player introductions and you could hear the crowd buzz whenever the ball was played to him

26 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Bruno in his first season had that buzz, every time he got it you thought he would score 

• Like 3

Warren Joyce: 'Arzani has a lot of bad habits'

By Lucas Radbourne-Pugh Jan 22 2018 9:40AM

Daniel Arzani is playing in another stratosphere at the moment, but Warren Joyce isn't missing a chance to bring him back to earth.

Warren Joyce pulled no punches in his recent assessment of Arzani, admitting that while the teenager has a mercurial talent, he's place at Melbourne City isn't assured. 

"(Arzani's) certainly got talent ... qualities that can win games and create chances," Joyce said. "(But) he's got a lot of bad habits.

"Sometimes that's not his fault, people have allowed him to get away with things. Over a period of time they become permanent. He's got a lot of things he's got to improve on."

While until recently he's had his opportunities limited by Joyce, if previous experience is anything to go by, 19-year-old Arzani will be attracting the attention of clubs across Europe and Asia, with none linked to confirmed bids so far.

With Ross McCormack's future also uncertain at AAMI Park, losing Arzani could prove a serious blow to City's Championship hopes.

Melbourne have been criticised for a lack of flair and creativity this season, with the teenager taking a wealth of creative responsibility. But Joyce said no player was indespensable. 

"You want players that want to stay here and play here," Joyce said. "You'd like to think that he thought there might be a pathway to his development by being involved in Melbourne City.

"We're not begging him to come and stay here if he doesn't think we can help him develop his future ... and achieve his aims.

"It's got to be a two-way thing. If (players) don't think that, they might as well not be here."

https://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/news/warren-joyce-arzani-has-a-lot-of-bad-habits-481539

Arazani would be stupid to leave,

1. Getting played (and starting) under a coach known to develop youth

2.  Is at a club that has one of the best pathways in the HAL and maybe in Asia.

3. Hopefully CFG see something in him because they could pay off the fee they payed for Heart a 2nd time if they sell Arzani on. I believe they will do a Mooy (or Brattan?), send him to a European club where his price will go up atleast 50% instantly, then sell him off.

As a player I would get annoyed by the coach always making negative comments about me. But Arzani seems like a smart bloke and I would not be suprised if we could find videos of Waz saying the exact things about players when he was at Manchester.

2 hours ago, malloy said:

I think he gave a fair assessment of him in his post match interview and its a bit harsh on Joyce to be picking that line out of the interview.

I agree. And lets be honest, he sometimes goes down a bit easily and his passing game needs work. 

Fuck he has the ball on a string when he dribbles though 

3 hours ago, malloy said:

I think he gave a fair assessment of him in his post match interview and its a bit harsh on Joyce to be picking that line out of the interview.

Later in the post-match Joyce makes special mention of Arzani's hard work at the club and being almost the last to leave after training and gym work. Also that he's very intelligent and does well at school.

So that "bad habits" comment is taken somewhat out of context.

Some interesting comments too about Roger Federer.

It’s one thing to turn a few heads in a few games in the A League but if you want to make the Big Big Time you need to cross every t and dot every i. Talent isn’t enough.

It seems that’s what Joyce is on about and it makes sense.  Hope the kid listens, if he does Australia might have something special.

The one thing that makes me weary about the "lot of bad habits" comments is that Joyce doesn't dish these comments out to other City players. Joyce doesn't say that Budzinski has to work on his passing game, and he's never said a negative word against Malik, or Bruce "certainly one that could play in the English championship, easily" Kamau.

Also, some players just don't like being assessed or criticised in such a public manner. Yet alone being singled out and criticised (and especially after having pretty good performances in the eyes of effectively everyone else).

Arzani has seemingly been doing well under Joyce since getting regular minutes this month. And maybe even there's an understanding between Joyce and Arzani ("because you are such a talent, I'll keep pushing you in public to get better" etc.).

All up, I'd just be feeling much better about the whole Arzani situation if he had re-signed for next season. I agree that remaining at City is almost certainly the best thing for him. I just hope as many Melbourne City factors as possible are persuading him to say around at the club, so we can keep seeing him improve and star at MCFC.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Murfy1 said:

The one thing that makes me weary about the "lot of bad habits" comments is that Joyce doesn't dish these comments out to other City players. Joyce doesn't say that Budzinski has to work on his passing game, and he's never said a negative word against Malik, or Bruce "certainly one that could play in the English championship, easily" Kamau.

Also, some players just don't like being assessed or criticised in such a public manner. Yet alone being singled out and criticised (and especially after having pretty good performances in the eyes of effectively everyone else).

Arzani has seemingly been doing well under Joyce since getting regular minutes this month. And maybe even there's an understanding between Joyce and Arzani ("because you are such a talent, I'll keep pushing you in public to get better" etc.).

All up, I'd just be feeling much better about the whole Arzani situation if he had re-signed for next season. I agree that remaining at City is almost certainly the best thing for him. I just hope as many Melbourne City factors as possible are persuading him to say around at the club, so we can keep seeing him improve and star at MCFC.

Maybe hes just trying to downplay Arzani's skills to reduce interest from other clubs?

Mystery milestone the key as City fight to keep Arzani

By Dave Lewis

23 JAN 2018

Rumours have circulated over a possible end-of-season exit for off-contract Arzani, whose finger prints have been all over City’s recent resurgence.

But it’s understood that an automatic one-year contract extension will be triggered if coach Warren Joyce continues to pin his faith in the fearless 19-year-old during the run-in to the finals.

Should Arzani clock up an undisclosed number of match minutes - he has reached 283 so far in six appearances this season - then he remains in the employ of the City Football Group (CFG).

It’s believed he would need to play week-in week-out from now on to reach the undisclosed figure.

There is already a new three-year offer on the table for the rookie whose repertoire of weapons has A-League defenses wondering how they can stop him.

With Sydney FC offering a swift return to his home town should the eventuality arise, and several European clubs zeroing in, the CFG are keen to do what is required to keep a player who, in just three games, has breathed fresh life into their season.

The former NSW Institute of Sport and AIS graduate emerged as a 53rd-minute substitute against Wellington Phoenix earlier this month, and turned the game on its head with two assists to inspire a 2-1 win.

The following week he won a free-kick and a spot-kick, both dispatched by Ross McCormack, to seal a 2-0 victory over Perth.

Adelaide United were next to fall under his spell, with his directness, trickery and technique leading to Marcin Budzinski's opener in a 5-0 win in which he loomed large as a figure of torment for the Reds.

With the power of the CFG group to shape his career in much the way it has that of Aaron Mooy, the Arzani camp see the benefit of remaining under its umbrella, so long as he is playing.

The plan longer term will lead to Europe, where some of the Continent’s leading clubs are already tracking his progress.

The fact he lacks an EU passport potentially complicates matters, but the belief is that Arzani’s talent will be the final arbiter in where his career takes him, under the auspices of the CFG or elsewhere.

Joyce acknowledges his ‘x-factor’ qualities, but says he’s more concerned with ironing out some flaws, rather than fretting over where Arzani will be playing next season.

“I've not really discussed it with him. That's not my really concern at the minute,” he said.

“My concern is developing the things he needs to get better at.

“You want players that want to stay here and play here.

“You'd like to think that he thought there might be a pathway to his development by being involved in Melbourne City.

"It's got to be a two-way thing.”

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2018/01/23/mystery-milestone-key-city-fight-keep-arzani