Melbourne Football

Daniel Arzani

jeffplz

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

Well as far as I know Nando hasn't played a second of pre-season so far, so if he did start I'd expect him to get injured.

So let's hope the club isn't that bloody stupid.

Who knows, maybe it was a JVS philosophy to bandage everyone up for a Germano, Wazza might be the polar opposite. I hope they give him the last 5 mins, (depending on the score)

• 3 months later...

City set to unleash Cahill's protege Arzani

4 JAN 2018 

Tim Cahill is weeks rather than days away from a new club but one of his proteges could be seeing regular A-League football soon.

Cahill might have left Melbourne City but his legacy lives on at the club, helping to nurture the next generation of talent.

Wonder-teen Daniel Arzani, in line to make the first start of his career, is being mentored by the Socceroos legend.

The Iranian-born winger struck up a fast friendship which has continued past Cahill's departure.

"He came to the club and took me under his wing. Tim's been a huge role model for me," Arzani told AAP.

"The guy still keeps in contact with me now. We talk on the phone all the time.

"I take any advice I can get for him because he's one of the best players Australia has ever had."

While Arzani's career is about to take off, Cahill is yet to find a new club since leaving City.

A source close to the 38-year-old told AAP a new deal was weeks rather than days away from being announced.

Cahill left the A-League a month ago, citing a need to be playing regular football to prepare for the World Cup.

For Arzani, regular football could be closer than ever.

The departure of Stefan Mauk and Bruce Kamau to the under-23 Asian Championships has opened up places in City's team.

And City could use a change-up after seeing their A-League stocks fall in recent weeks.

After four straight wins to start the season, coach Warren Joyce has just two wins in nine matches.

Perhaps Arzani could be one of the young guns to change City's fortunes.

The 18-year-old impressed off the bench in their last-out loss to Western Sydney, coming on to relieve Ross McCormack up front.

Against Wellington Phoenix on Saturday, Arzani is the lead candidate to replace Kamau in his favoured wide forward position.

Arzani isn't counting his chickens but is hoping Joyce backs in another teenager; as he's done successfully with Nathaniel Atkinson in recent weeks.

"City is one of the most advanced clubs in the way they think (about) young players. Whoever is performing at their best gets the chance to play," he said.

"It's up to the coach. I've just got to make sure I work as hard as I can."

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2018/01/04/city-set-unleash-cahills-protege-arzani

• Like 2

Melbourne City’s rising star Daniel Arzani produces compelling case for more minutes with starring role in Wellington win

David Davutovic

JANUARY 6, 2018

A DARING teenager provided the most compelling 37-minute case that it was time to release the shackles at Melbourne City.

Forget his age amid widespread calls for kids to get more minutes, Daniel Arzani injected the spark and x-factor that’s been seriously lacking in City’s play this season.

Arzani, who turned 19 on Thursday, came on and turned the game on its head, setting up both of Ross McCormack’s goals in a comeback win.

The 72nd minute equaliser with a clever jinx and cross that poacher McCormack tapped in, the second eight minutes later a superb dipping, low cross that the Scot headed home — both crosses had zip and found McCormack at the back stick.

Before his 53rd minute introduction for Manny Muscat, City did not look like scoring at all.

Arzani possesses more weapons than most City players and he unleashed many of them, providing more on-field positivity than any other player.

Inconsistency and mistakes will come with his youth, but that’s offset by his willingness to attack.

He had played just 42 minutes in two A-League appearances this season and he’s never started a league game, yet every time Arzani got the ball, he looked forward and tried to play a forward pass, beat a Phoenix defender and break the lines.

Arzani made mistakes taking risks, and rolling the dice is something the City team of 2017-18 has not done enough of.

City coach Warren Joyce has favoured a pragmatic approach — pushing defender Michael Jakobsen into midfield is a classic example — which has translated into safe soccer.

For a team laden with attacking talents, it doesn’t suit them. Last night Luke Brattan paired with Osama Malik, giving them more offensive impetus.

But City’s advantage wasn’t exploited until Arzani’s ability to beat a players came into play.

Several other players are capable of providing that attacking spark — Marcelo Carrusca, who came on after 65 minutes, Marcin Budzinski — his time in Poland certainly suggests so — and youth team player Ramy Najjarine.

McCormack was the one who benefited most, and so too will Bruno Fornaroli when he eventually returns.

Bottom-place Phoenix set out a classic backs against the wall formation away from home — a back five that morphed into a 3-5-2 when they counter attacked.

While City dominated possession having fielded a fairly attacking side, their slow, deliberate build up lacked urgency and variation.

Jakobsen, reverting to his preferred stopper’s position on a rare occasion in the absence of Iacopo La Rocca, lost his head just before the break.

He attempted to head back to keeper Dean Bouzanis with Phoenix striker Roy Krishna on his hammer. The Fijian read him like a book and pounced.

The section of the 5207 home crowd jeered when the halftime whistle sounded, having voiced their displeasure during an uneventful first half before the game sparked into life in the second.

Among the chants from City’s supporters group was: “Why’s (Daniel) Arzani on the bench?”

The City fans clearly have an eye for talent.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/football/a-league/melbourne-city/melbourne-citys-rising-star-daniel-arzani-produces-compelling-case-for-more-minutes-with-starring-role-in-wellington-win/news-story/efcacb51a8f2986599fa2094477ab7d3

13 minutes ago, Snordork said:

After the match Wazza said that Arzani's a talent with that x-factor, but that he's gotta keep his head down and "stop listening to other people that have different agendas". Anyone know what he's talking about?

I have absolutely no idea. That comment seems completely unnecessary and not useful to me. However, I'll make 2 guesses:

One: Joyce is saying that Arzani shouldn't listen to the public and others, who want Arzani to play in an attacking way and showcase his talent. Instead, Joyce wants him to "put in the hard yards", "do lots of hard-work and running", "do his defensive duties first", "always be disciplined", and overall play in a stodgy and defensive way (in my opinion, like the football cliches I mentioned).

Two: Joyce is saying that Arzani shouldn't listen to Cahill. Joyce knows that Arzani and Cahill talked a lot and developed a bond after being teammates, and Joyce doesn't want Cahill to influence our young up-and-coming player Arzani (especially when Arzani is pretty much the biggest positive over the last 10 mostly unsuccessful games, it would be disastrous for Joyce personally if Arzani said things like he owes his good performances and ability to Cahill the most, and not Joyce).

It could conceivably be something else, but I really can't think of anything else at all. So my moneys on one of the above 2 possibilities.

Edited by Murfy1

5 minutes ago, Murfy1 said:

It couldnt conceivably be something else, but I really can't think of anything else at all. So my moneys on one of the above 2 possibilities

The bit about listening to other people with agenda's makes it pretty clear it's the Cahill thing, seems to hold a grudge.

2 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Bud I reckon without any doubt he's more confident and also has more ability than Fitzy already. He doesn't have the defensive ability or work rate yet though. 

I was being sarcastic. Wazza will leach the talent, soul and optimism until we are left with another Fitzgerald like performance of last night

• Like 1

I could imagine Cahill advising him to go overseas, as he did. That would be bad advice at this stage his career,  as evidenced by the numerous young A-League players who thought they would walk in to a Euro first team after a handful of A-League games, but end up rotting away in the seconds.

Arzani has a bit of swagger about him, but he isn't the first one Joyce has seen like that who went nowhere. He called him an X-Factor player. The argument that Joyce will suck the passion and creativity out of him is not believable.  What Joyce is giving him is sound advice that there is a time and place for X-factor stuff- and that's not inside your own penalty box 2-1 up with a few minutes to go- yes I'm referring to the couple potentially costly mistakes Arzani made. Yes he had a terrific 25 minutes in an attacking sense but would be remiss of Joyce not to point that out.

With Joyce on this one- no other club in the A-League offers a better pathway to Europe than City. 

Edited by Kiro Kompiro
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

I could imagine Cahill advising him to go overseas, as he did. That would be bad advice at this stage his career,  as evidenced by the numerous young A-League players who thought they would walk in to a Euro first team after a handful of A-League games, but end up rotting away in the seconds.

Arzani has a bit of swagger about him, but he isn't the first one Joyce has seen like that who went nowhere. He called him an X-Factor player. The argument that Joyce will suck the passion and creativity out of him is not believable.  What Joyce is giving him is sound advice that there is a time and place for X-factor stuff- and that's not inside your own penalty box 2-1 up with a few minutes to go- yes I'm referring to the couple potentially costly mistakes Arzani made. Yes he had a terrific 25 minutes in an attacking sense but would be remiss of Joyce not to point that out.

With Joyce on this one- no other club in the A-League offers a better pathway to Europe than City

The only player that has successfully used teh CFG connection has been Mooy. And he was hired before teh takeover and was mentored by Aloisi and JVS. There have been other players that have spurned Melb. City (McClaren, Vutovic) and as time has passed I suspect that the club is on the nose with so many players going sideways or backwards. As for Europe? Well the European clubs do have scouts as well and they do come and watch games. As for Cahill and Arzani, you would be speculating about what goes on between them but Cahill would also have connections as well. My general feel is that players should stick around until they are about 20/21 and then try.

Joyce’s comment was definitely about making Arzani forget about going overseas. Joyce hates nothing more than youth ruining their careers by bad choices, cite his ex united youth player at Wigan who he blasted publicly for not taking his career further after havig X factor talent.

European clubs will already have him on their radar for when the time is right. They know about everyone, everywhere

Italiano from Perth (I don't mean to keep bringing him up) played 4 or 5  games for Perth and got snapped up by a bundesliga club

For now Arzani needs to get starts and show what he can do for 90 minutes, while yes it's bloody exciting he needs to do it more than once and against someone better than Wellington. He does that and who knows where he will be in 24 months 

2 hours ago, n i k o said:

If I had Kamau in front of me starting regardless of form/impact/performance yeh I'd be pissed off too

Joyce said Arzani had gone away with the youth national team and came back worse physically.  Since then the club has have been trying to get him 100% physically, which according to Joyce Arzani still isn't

Melbourne City's Daniel Arzani 'ready to start' through packed A-League schedule

Anthony Colangelo

JANUARY 7 2018

Melbourne City whiz kid Daniel Arzani says he is fit enough to start and play 90 minutes of soccer, fresh off his match-winning performance that helped start an arduous week for Melbourne's A-League clubs.

City beat Wellington Phoenix 2-1 on Saturday night – the first of their three games in eight days – while Melbourne Victory drew 1-1 with Central Coast Mariners to kick off their run of three matches in seven days.

Arzani came on for City in the 53rd minute with his side 1-0 down and assisted both of Ross McCormack's goals. The 19-year-old dazzled with his dribbling and attacking prowess.

His introduction was a welcome injection of impetus for a City team that mostly laboured through a dull 90-minute performance.

Coach Warren Joyce was pressed after the game on why Arzani didn't start and explained that he needed to build up fitness lost in the pre-season because of two Australian youth team camps.

The Iranian-born Arzani told Fairfax Media on Sunday that early season illness also added to his lack of match condition, but said he was now primed for peak performance.

"I am ready now," Arzani said. "I think my readiness to start has only come about recently just because my season, especially pre-season and beginning of the season, was really interrupted by two Australian camps (U20s and U23s).

"Now I have reached a point where my levels are good enough to start. It took a lot of hard running."

He added that City would not struggle physically through its packed schedule, which includes an away clash against Perth Glory on Tuesday and then a home match against the Mariners on Sunday.

"Knowing the gaffer [coach] that we have, we are all very fit, we have very resilient bodies. Fitness shouldn't be an issue for us," Arzani said.

"I doubt that will be an issue [three games in eight days]. That's a credit to the gaffer, he has taken us into the pre-season and he has absolutely hammered us and now it's paying dividends for us."

Tim Cahill took Arzani under his wing during his time at Melbourne City. The 19-year-old has never started for City, appearing nine times off the bench since joining last season.

Cahill still speaks to Arzani even though he left City and the winger also credits Joyce as being a big help in his development.

"He [Joyce] is perfect with me," Arzani said. "He's quite strict on me and I think I need that as a player. He is always on my back and that helps me so much because growing up as a player – because I had a little bit of talent – I could get away with certain things. But in a professional environment you can't.

"It's been the best thing for me. Bad habits, especially defensively. If I want to take my career further and play in Europe I really need to listen to the things Warren is saying."

City's ugly win ended a torrid run of three consecutive losses.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/melbourne-citys-daniel-arzani-ready-to-start-through-packed-aleague-schedule-20180107-h0emf6.html

• Like 1