Melbourne Football

W-League News

GreenSeater

Couldn't seem  to find a thread for the W-League in general on here at all so thought I'd make one. If there is another one feel free to move this. Very interesting, and downright awful article on SBS today. The treatment of W-League players is pretty bloody disgraceful. No wonder so many of the girls are so keen to play for us, it seems like we're the only club that actually gives a fuck about their welfare.

http://www.sbs.com.au/topics/zela/article/2016/05/21/expose-players-open-about-w-league-conditions

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Dylan said:

It seems like we are somewhat better but havent seen any hard evidence that they are truly equal in terms of support and facility access at our club either. Happy to be proved wrong of course

Wouldn't you say the building of women's only section at La trobe evidence enough.  I don't think they'll ever be equal to the men per say but definitely league leaders and hopefully up in the best in the world.

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

Wouldn't you say the building of women's only section at La trobe evidence enough.  I don't think they'll ever be equal to the men per say but definitely league leaders and hopefully up in the best in the world.

There are too many factors working against investment in women's football at the top level. Very limited season and that ludicrous salary cap being the two obvious ones I can see. 
I consider myself privileged to have seen "our girls" in last season's GF - Fishlock, Little, Beattie, de Vanna and all the rest, because I'm not sure I'll have the chance to see a team like that again.
I think City's intentions with the women's team are sincere, but I doubt the investment will see much return other than the satisfaction of having done what they do.

• 2 months later...

I wonder if there is an fear at the FFA now of the rise of professionalism for women in other sports. I gather the money in the WBBL is not bad (in fact they have already lured a tennis player & a dual international over) and now AFL is also paying a lot more and have lured over a fringe Matilda.

Frankly, aside from City's entry, women's football looks pretty vulnerable. Disinterested clubs or federations (or both) are a big part of the problem.

The chicks AFL (well it's not WAFL is it) would love to recruit players with top kicking skills, positional sense and athletism. Frankly given how most clubs treat them in football, why would they stay? 

Interesting times ahead.

46 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

I wonder if there is an fear at the FFA now of the rise of professionalism for women in other sports. I gather the money in the WBBL is not bad (in fact they have already lured a tennis player & a dual international over) and now AFL is also paying a lot more and have lured over a fringe Matilda.

Frankly, aside from City's entry, women's football looks pretty vulnerable. Disinterested clubs or federations (or both) are a big part of the problem.

The chicks AFL (well it's not WAFL is it) would love to recruit players with top kicking skills, positional sense and athletism. Frankly given how most clubs treat them in football, why would they stay? 

Interesting times ahead.

FFA's advantage is that Womens football is by far the most popular and participated sport. Which leaves this all to the FFA to get the clubs to pick up their game....Great. I was shocked that most W-league clubs are not allowed to train at the same venue as their senior squads which there is no excuse or reason to why this is the case, it just comes across as petty.  

• Like 3

I think they should be quite worried, based on the low standard of the facilities generally available and the lack of renumeration. It's frustrating because we're doing so well internationally but the game is improving so fast that we can very easily get left behind.

8 hours ago, Dylan said:

FFA's advantage is that Womens football is by far the most popular and participated sport. Which leaves this all to the FFA to get the clubs to pick up their game....Great. I was shocked that most W-league clubs are not allowed to train at the same venue as their senior squads which there is no excuse or reason to why this is the case, it just comes across as petty.  

I'm not saying you're wrong there, but do you have the stats? What age groups are you including? I see plenty of girls' teams playing of a weekend at the local park, but they look Primary School age to me.

Just now, jw1739 said:

I'm not saying you're wrong there, but do you have the stats? What age groups are you including? I see plenty of girls' teams playing of a weekend at the local park, but they look Primary School age to me.

Ive read it in a few articles, ill try and hunt them down. 

Notably, elite netball and cricket are also developing in professionalism quite rapidly.

Grassroots participation is football's biggest advantage (as Dylan said), but talent is going to be lured away towards other sports willing to throw $$$ (Bri Davey who was a City keeper signed as a Carlton marquee for example) 

I think if anything, the women's AFL competition and the women's Big Bash are drawing more attention to women's sport in general which could potentially drive a greater level of interest in the W-League, it's hard to say.

41 minutes ago, Chris p said:

I think genuine interest Women's sport has been overstated somewhat mostly by the sporting Bodies themselves looking for a point of difference 

the WBBL had stupidly large tv ratings, I don't think it's been overstated at all.

given adequate support (which I think it will), the womens' AFL has the potential to be big.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Nate said:

given adequate support (which I think it will), the womens' AFL has the potential to be big.

The AFL is putting a lot of effort into setting their comp up and it comes with good media attention. Plus a,l the clubs who have teams are super committed, because they had to bid for the right to have them, unlike the wleague where a lot of aleague teams are unwilling.

CFG will spearhead womens football in Australia.. You might say that we already do I guess.

As for "why" you really have to know the CFG long term plans to even guess, but CFG have de facto spent and are continuing to spend on womens football teams that lack
sustainability for now, which we can say about the mens team as well of course..
Given the importance given to the women in the yearly "Interview with CFG chairman" lately I´d say that it will not change anytime soon.

On 8 August 2016 at 8:04 PM, M13 said:

Need a result against Zimbabwe I think?..

Yes, needed to win, score a bunch of goals and also have Germany not beat Canada, all of which happened so now we're through to the quarters.

Edit: we went through as the 3rd placed team so actually didn't matter about Germany. Olympics structure is a bit weird.

Edited by Kinnibari

15 hours ago, Kinnibari said:

Yes, needed to win, score a bunch of goals and also have Germany not beat Canada, all of which happened so now we're through to the quarters.

Edit: we went through as the 3rd placed team so actually didn't matter about Germany. Olympics structure is a bit weird.

Not sure what MelC players you got in Rio though.. :ph34r:

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/matildas-stars-approached-by-afl-to-switch-codes-to-join-inaugural-womens-league/news-story/4f028fe4bae7970ca302c39bf3e17abf

Matildas stars approached by AFL to switch codes to join inaugural women’s league

index&t_product=HeraldSun&td_device=desktop
DAVID DAVUTOVIC, Herald Sun
September 1, 2016 7:26pm
Subscriber only
index&t_product=HeraldSun&td_device=desktop

THE AFL has declared war on women’s soccer with two Matildas stars approached to switch codes.

Rio Olympians Sam Kerr and Mackenzie Arnold were sounded out about joining AFL clubs for the inaugural AFL season starting in February.

Arnold, a promising young keeper with Perth Glory, was believed to have been offered a marquee spot with hometown club Brisbane Lions.

Kerr was wanted by West Coast, where her brother Daniel played 220 games and won a Premiership.

The Eagles approached Kerr about being the star recruit prior to Rio 2016, before Fremantle was handed the only WA license for the inaugural season featuring eight teams.

Arnold, 22, seriously considered the offer before deciding to concentrate on the Matildas as did Kerr.

But others have been tempted by the AFL’s $1.6m women’s war chest.

b1c1386bb1ff83ffff9d1de00dea8f09?width=650Mackenzie Arnold was offered a marquee spot with the Brisbane Lions. Picture: Getty Images

Canberra United’s Jenna McCormick is believed to have accepted a contract with AFL club Adelaide and will fulfil her W-League commitments with Canberra before pulling on the Crows shirt.

Former Matildas keeper Brianna Davey has become the first high-profile code-hopper, signing a marquee deal with Carlton.

Davey was Melbourne City’s no. 1 in their W-League title-winning season of 2015-16, but has decided to join Carlton who’ve offered her a three-day-a-week community role as well as a playing contract.

FFA did not respond yesterday when asked to comment yesterday.

Speaking last year, Davey said soccer had to be cautious of AFL’s threat.

“To be honest I think yes. I think a lot of codes have to worry,’’ Davey said.

d2efcf9edc481640a520a932373c0755?width=650Brianna Davey (centre, back) signed a marquee deal with Carlton. Picture: Wayne Ludbey

The AFL’s high-profile women’s league launch has cast a spotlight on W-League pay conditions, after the Matildas’ high-profile pay dispute last year.

The 20 contracted Matildas earn between $50,000-$60,000 ($36,000 or $45,000 Matildas contract with most earning $10,000-$15,000 in the W-League) in Australia, with those playing overseas in the W-League off-season earning in excess of $100,000.

But the drop off for W-League contracted players only is radical, with clubs only mandated to spend $35,000 of the $150,000 salary cap.

The AFL copped flak for revealing that most players will be paid $5000 each, but the Herald Sun can reveal that dozens of W-League players are not paid to compete.

Most of the 160-odd W-League players earn between $1000-5000 a year.

An unnamed source told the Herald Sun that conditions for most women’s players are appalling.

“It costs most girls to play in the W-League,’’ the source said.

Melbourne City sensationally broke the mould last year, investing hundreds of thousands into their women’s program to win the title in their first season.

City are believed to spend close to the full cap, with Canberra United and Perth Glory believed to be the only other teams who spend upwards of $100,000 on their squad

The rest of the clubs are believed to languish somewhere around the $50,000 mark, which is the FFA’s annual dividend to W-League clubs.

35090424a925c702df5a06eab04eea23?width=650Sam Kerr celebrates after scoring against Germany at Rio 2016 Olympic Games. Picture: Getty Images

COMPETING CODES — Women’s pay scales

W-LEAGUE

Minimum No pay

Standard $1000-$2000

Top $6000-$15,000

Estimated club wage bill (squad of 20): $40,000-$130,000

MATILDAS PLAYERS

Tier 1 — $45,000 (16 players)

Tier 2 — $36,000 (4 players)

WOMEN’S AFL

Minimum — $5000

Standard — $5000

Interim — $10,000

Marquee — $25,000

Projected club wage bill (squad of 25): $200,000

On 9/3/2016 at 6:08 PM, M13 said:

About time someone did up the ante...

FFA and the A-League clubs have to decide whether they want to be in women's football or not. If they decide to be in it then it has to be resourced properly. And this IMO doesn't just mean wages paid to players - it means the whole package. ATM it gives me the impression of being just an add-on to the men's game, and you won't fix that just by paying the players more.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Chris p said:

That canadian bloke, martin pike wasn't it ? as well as the Hayne and Folau experiments. fucking laughable 

It's clear just being able run alot and throw your weight around makes you a good player 

Mike Pyke was around for 4 years before he ever truly made it, even then he was a ruckman which is by far the easiest position to transtition into.

Hunt and Folau both played a full season prior to making their AFL debuts. Folau was a complete failure and barely got a game, whilst Hunt was ok and probably just made their best 22. All that as full time athletes training 5 days a week.

There was nothing overnight about it, and they weren’t really any good anyway.

Edited by bt50

On 2016-09-05 at 7:50 AM, jw1739 said:

FFA and the A-League clubs have to decide whether they want to be in women's football or not. If they decide to be in it then it has to be resourced properly. And this IMO doesn't just mean wages paid to players - it means the whole package. ATM it gives me the impression of being just an add-on to the men's game, and you won't fix that just by paying the players more.

It have to go hand in hand with spending on infrastructure for womens football.. and at the moment we are way ahead of the pack

• Like 2

Clearly a topical discussion, because the Women's Game have released the result of a survey they did with players on this topic (part 1 of a three part series) and then Michael Lynch wrote about it for The Age.

http://thewomensgame.com/2016/09/part-i-players-have-their-say/

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/soccer-wleague-players-eye-switch-to-afl-for-cash-boost-survey-shows-20160907-graudt.html

The biggest concern the players raised was finances, followed by the length of the season.

Although the AFL is a threat to the w-league, I hope that having some competition will have a positive outcome because it forces the clubs and the FFA to lift their game.