Melbourne Football

UEFA EURO 2016

hakz7

34 minutes ago, HeartFc said:

Turkish keeper was just an error in general. Croats should've won 3-0 atleast. 

If Poland can't beat this rabble of a Northern Ireland team, Putin might as well just nuke us. 

Fucking hell the nerves are kicking in hard, i'll be happy if poland can at least get out of the group stage for the first time in the euros

• Like 1

Northern Ireland hard working, well set up and very professional but just not enough class against a classy Polish outfit.

NI did get a couple of good opportunities but the 2 players concerned butchered them so badly they didn't even shoot.

As a neutral I think Poland played really well and showed they will be a force to be reckoned with in this tournament.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

I'll start by admitting I was guilty of it too, but Jesus people underrate the Italians every single tournament. Bastards will probably go on to win the whole thing 

Wasn't so much under estimating the Italians, was the Belgians playing 4 centre backs at another tournament, surely they have 2 blokes who are natural full backs somewhere in the country. Shuffling Vertonghen to left back when he and Alderweireld play together week in, week out to accommodate Vermaelen is up there with the dumbest coaching decisions ever made. Then again Wilmots thinks Fellaini is a better choice than Dembele in the middle of the park.

Sad that they have this golden generation but have a coach who has a pretty ordinary record given the players at his disposal.

On 14 June 2016 at 7:26 PM, mus-28 said:

Wasn't so much under estimating the Italians, was the Belgians playing 4 centre backs at another tournament, surely they have 2 blokes who are natural full backs somewhere in the country. Shuffling Vertonghen to left back when he and Alderweireld play together week in, week out to accommodate Vermaelen is up there with the dumbest coaching decisions ever made. Then again Wilmots thinks Fellaini is a better choice than Dembele in the middle of the park.

Sad that they have this golden generation but have a coach who has a pretty ordinary record given the players at his disposal.

Wasn't so much you underestimating them just the prevailing opinion heading into the tournament. 

It is a shame seeing all this Belgian talent go to waste, but it's no different to England in the 2000s and basically every Dutch team ever. 

Forgot about this thread.

On 14/06/2016 at 7:33 AM, thisphantomfortress said:

I'll start by admitting I was guilty of it too, but Jesus people underrate the Italians every single tournament. Bastards will probably go on to win the whole thing 

On 14/06/2016 at 7:26 PM, mus-28 said:

FWIW I knew Italy would win this game, because their strength is exactly Belgium's weakness. Italy always do well in major tournaments even if their team isn't great on paper simply because they know how to play these tournaments, while Belgium lack major tournament experience, they were out of these tournaments for (off the top of my head) a decade.

The other thing is Italy's defensive strength is maybe a little underestimated, but also they play the right style for these tournaments. Look at how goals are scored in Serie A compared to the EPL for example, it takes a hell of a lot more to break down a defence, and knowing how to break down a defence is important in these tournaments since everyone always plays defensive in major tournaments as it's encouraged by the fact it's predominantly knock-out (and even the group stage is just 3 games and so just 1 game can still get you knocked out). Of course Italy's own defensive strength is an asset as well given the importance of a strong defence in these tournaments.

Someone mentioned the Dutch, maybe that's why they always struggle in major tournaments as well, since all they know is attack (pls see the Eredevise if you disagree). Maybe that's also a problem for Belgium TBH, their defensive players are generally good ball playing  defenders which to me suggest they're also similar to the Dutch in regard to favouring attacking football.

I also think it's a negative for Belgium that so many of their players play in the EPL, that league is cancer to your international chances if too many players are used to playing that style, hence why England will forever be shit in these tournaments.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Young Polak said:

Yeah, 0-0, im happy with a dr... WHAT THE FUCK MILIK U SPASTIC STICK A FUCKING LEG OUT NEXT TIME

WHY THE FUCK IT HAS TO BE MILIK RECEIVING ALL THESE CHANCES AND NOT ROBERT? FUCK 

Milik was paid off by Wehrmacht surely. Stick your knee out and that was all that was needed you clown.

Bring on ukrainców!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Thrillhouse said:

how boring has it been, fuck all goals in matches

Actually hasn't been that bad compared to most international tournaments. I think the reason is European teams are used to breaking down teams playing defensive since it's often how the qualifiers are played. Usually you just see a fuckload of 1-0 results in tournaments, think back to the Asian Cup, and World Cups are usually like that too apart from games like Brazil vs New Zealand or some other lopsided fixture.

Of course the Copa America has been different because those teams are all quite attacking, but I don't think the Euro has been too bad.

• Like 1

Forgot to add the shit thing about this tournament is that 3rd in group can qualify so of course that's going to encourage more defensive play since a draw is still a handy result under these circumstances. Eg at World cup it's hard to qualify with 4 points, and you can get knocked out with 5 without too much difficulty as well so you really have to at least try get 2 wins, while in this 4 points should see you through.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, n i k o said:

For anyone that doesn't know what's going on

image.jpeg

You don't know who it is dude. The country is a typical corrupt balkan country. Speculation that it's organised political parties paying ppl to do it.

By the way, did you watch Channel 7 news? They said Croatian fans started throwing flares after the Czech team was awarded a penalty lol. Fuck me, these commercial channels have clue when it comes to sokkah.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tony999 said:

You don't know who it is dude. The country is a typical corrupt balkan country. Speculation that it's organised political parties paying ppl to do it.

By the way, did you watch Channel 7 news? They said Croatian fans started throwing flares after the Czech team was awarded a penalty lol. Fuck me, these commercial channels have clue when it comes to sokkah.

No I didn't see it. Very glad I didn't. 

On 17 June 2016 at 6:52 AM, Young Polak said:

Yeah, 0-0, im happy with a dr... WHAT THE FUCK MILIK U SPASTIC STICK A FUCKING LEG OUT NEXT TIME

WHY THE FUCK IT HAS TO BE MILIK RECEIVING ALL THESE CHANCES AND NOT ROBERT? FUCK 

Nek minnit Lewa misses a glorious chance 2 minutes in

fuck me dead

• Like 1