Melbourne Football

Bruce Kamau

Murfy1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, moops said:

Scored a goal against Syria in the U23'S via a header, in other news, it looked like Tongyik scored an own goal.

Nope, it was Deng, suck on that victards!

I would be furious if we (city) conceded a goal like Kamau scored. Unmarked in the box and the keepers 10 second reaction time.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, malloy said:

I would be furious if we (city) conceded a goal like Kamau scored. Unmarked in the box and the keepers 10 second reaction time.

Lets not kid ourselves - Syria is a country in a decade long civil war stoked by foreigners. It is amazing that they can have players on the pitch. Anything else is trivial.

Vietnam will test us, they have become our bogey team for the youth and the French FA have been investing heavily on development over there for about 10 years now setting up a mini Clairfontaine.

I think it's the boys next match, Monday morning.

Then Sth Korea, who just beat Vietnam 2-1 and have always been strong.

Edited by moops

• 2 months later...

Warren Joyce says Bruce Kamau was left out of squad against Adelaide due to speculation he’s moving to the Wanderers

Anna Harrington

March 16, 2018 

MELBOURNE City coach Warren Joyce says Bruce Kamau was left out of Friday’s clash with Adelaide United due to reports the forward had signed with Western Sydney.

Kamau was named in City’s initial squad but come game time, had been omitted.

Joyce said speculation the forward had signed with the Wanderers was the reason he wasn’t playing.

“Well obviously that news broke, it was news to myself this morning,” he told Fox Sports’ Kick Off.

“We’ll discuss it with Bruce next week.

“He was left out tonight because of that.”

Former Adelaide coach John Kosmina said he admired Joyce’s honesty and said the coach potentially had to take action after seeing a change in Kamau during training.

“One thing I’ve got to state is Warren Joyce’s honesty is refreshing to be honest, a lot of coaches would fluff around a question like that,” he said.

“You have to, you’ve got to be truthful.

“But the thing is if Bruce Kamau’s already been talking to Western Sydney, his head’s not in the right space.

“And that’s probably what Warren Joyce has assessed during his time on the training park, ‘is he really here for the next five games?’”

Kamau has dazzled at times this season for City, but has also been in and out of Joyce’s starting line-up.

Former Sydney defender Sasa Ognenovski said the onus was on the player to remain professional, even if they were planning to leave a club at the end of a season.

“I’ve been in the same situation when I’ve moved from Brisbane to Adelaide and Frank Farina was my coach and he didn’t drop me because he knew I was going to Adelaide,” he said.

“But you need to be a professional either way.

“So if Bruce Kamau’s going to Western Sydney, he needs to fulfil his contract with Melbourne City, so I’m guessing that they’ve seen a shift in his attitude and the way that he’s training and his output to come to a decision like that.

“Because Bruce Kamau in top flight, in top form, can help Melbourne City in this finals series for sure.”

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/soccer/warren-joyce-says-bruce-kamau-was-left-out-of-squad-against-adelaide-due-to-speculation-hes-moving-to-the-wanderers-ng-83d8f6fd69c51b3b49225502ffe0d4c3

Edited by Murfy1

The rumour that Kamau and Tongyik are going to Western Sydney has been around quite a long time. IIRC, Kamau didn't really want to sign for us in the first place, but was persuaded to do so by his father because he thought it best for his son's career. So the rumour doesn't surprise me at all.

However, I'm surprised that Joyce didn't find the time to check with Kamau direct before omitting him.

Edited by jw1739

2 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Well that’s just retarded.

Let’s not play anyone who’s off contract at the end of the year then.

Not quite the same thing as having already signed for another club. However, it doesn't seem to take much for Joyce to omit a player. Especially after the departures we've already seen this season.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Not quite the same thing as having already signed for another club. However, it doesn't seem to take much for Joyce to omit a player. Especially after the departures we've already seen this season.

With Joyce’s “reasons to exclude people” list, we’ll be forfeiting games pretty soon due to a lack of players to select from. This bloke and his weird habits are doing my head in.

• Like 1

This is an interesting one, cause where I agree that if he is leaving there is no point playing him. But what if it was Bart who said I'm off to whoever. Do we play him?

Kamau isn't in our best handful so it's an easy stance to make, but it's a dangerous one 

I am happy for Kamau and Tongyk. They were never going to develop under Joyce and now they will be able to enjoy themselves again. Just one more season of Joyce to go as I don't expect Petrillo to admit to monumentally screwing up the coaching selection. I still expect Arzani to find a club and coach that will eventually allow him to fully develop.

23 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

I am happy for Kamau and Tongyk. They were never going to develop under Joyce and now they will be able to enjoy themselves again. Just one more season of Joyce to go as I don't expect Petrillo to admit to monumentally screwing up the coaching selection. I still expect Arzani to find a club and coach that will eventually allow him to fully develop.

I seems like that the only aspect our players are developing our Joyce is to manage frustration and anger management.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NewConvert said:

I think you'll find that Joyce is Marwood's pick rather than Petrillo's. Petrillo's contribution is to repeatedly sign former Adelaide players who then turn out to be either mere shadows of what they were previously or unsuited to the coach's desired style or both.

Kamau did f*** all last season before Joyce was even here. He then flourished for a few weeks under Joyce before going back to being shit. Lol it's not Joyce's fault he is crap.

If I was a coach and found out a player was leaving without being given the respect to tell me to my face, then I wouldn't fukn play him either.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, rass said:

Kamau did f*** all last season before Joyce was even here. He then flourished for a few weeks under Joyce before going back to being shit. Lol it's not Joyce's fault he is crap.

If I was a coach and found out a player was leaving without being given the respect to tell me to my face, then I wouldn't fukn play him either.

Flourished? If you are talking about the goals he scored in the first few games, just take the time to review them and tell me if it was good football or good luck. Kamau looked good when he first arrived then produced nothing for the rest of his time. We could do a lot better.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mjake1234 said:

Flourished? If you are talking about the goals he scored in the first few games, just take the time to review them and tell me if it was good football or good luck. Kamau looked good when he first arrived then produced nothing for the rest of his time. We could do a lot better.

I'm not talking about the goals at all. I'm talking about watching him train and seeing someone who looked committed to the cause, which in turn was rewarded with multiple starts - an improvement on the season before.

But as I said above and multiple times before, he's a fraud and it wasn't long before he went back to his true self.

...actually on the topic of his goals, yeah they weren't the greatest quality or easiest on the eye. But he was still there in the right place at the right time to score them, deflections or not. An out of form player wouldn't even have been there - think of strikers on top of their game poaching rebounds and tap-ins against, Berisha e.g.

Edited by rass
because I have more to say..
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, rass said:

I'm not talking about the goals at all. I'm talking about watching him train and seeing someone who looked committed to the cause, which in turn was rewarded with multiple starts - an improvement on the season before.

But as I said above and multiple times before, he's a fraud and it wasn't long before he went back to his true self.

Kamau is the perfect example of a major flaw in Joyce's selection criteria.

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Kamau is the perfect example of a major flaw in Joyce's selection criteria.

Perhaps, who else would you have been playing in his stead for most of the season though?

Fitzy's gone backwards at an alarming rate and Arzani was apparently incredibly unfit at season's start, he's still not really fit enough if we're being honest, despite his mercurial ability. Hindsight's a beautiful thing but our wing stocks were clearly considerably worse than most of us thought going into this season.

The biggest flaws in Joyce's selection criteria for mine are Bozanic, Muscat and to a lesser extent Delbridge.

Edited by Embee
  • Like 2