Melbourne Football

Bruce Kamau

Murfy1

18 minutes ago, [LIBBA] said:

Ok maybe i was a little harsh on the bloke and yes he's still young, but atm how he is anywhere near the starting 11 over Fitzy is mind boggling to say the least.

I think that was just my frustration over time of watching him blunder a number of chances time after time after time.

IMHO he needs to come off the bench and be an impact sub for the remainder of the season and nothing more.

My qualitative  observation is that most on here agree with the above. I suggest that we leave this thread until the next match.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, jeffplz said:

Here I come with the realist comment

he's still youth and wil have another 2 seasons to tear up the league. I see him pulling an Aaron Mooy by then

See I see Caceras as the next potential. They guy has some serious talent. Think back to all the games where he's been given the role of creative playmaker and taken responsibility he's shown a Mooyesque type of quality. He's also of similar age to when Mooy came over to us. Problem is he's not being given enough game time to continue plying his trade.

Kamau skill level needs to be another 2 levels above where he is now and he needs to be able to finish as well if he's going to do anything with his football, given his size and stature. The guys nearly 23 and he's got the body of a 13 year old boy. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Kamau skill level needs to be another 2 levels above where he is now and he needs to be able to finish as well if he's going to do anything with his football, given his size and stature. The guys nearly 23 and he's got the body of a 13 year old boy. 

total agreement Niko

he needs at least 5 kg of solid muscle added to his frame, otherwise he will forever be pushed of the ball by defenders

• 3 months later...

KAMAU TARGETS WORLD CUP SELECTION

By Clement Tito Jul 29 2017 7:30AM

Bruce Kamau has never represented the Socceroos but lining up for Australia at a World Cup is on his radar.

The Melbourne City winger recently played three games for the green and gold in the 2018 Asian U-23 Championship Qualifiers in Japan and Bahrain.

Kenyan-born Kamau said in November last year his dream was to one day represent Australia when he migrated at just age four.

It isn’t unknown for players with few or no caps to get picked for a World Cup and Kamau said it was all about hitting top gear at the right time.

"It doesn't really matter how many (international) caps you have if you're playing well enough,” Kamau said.

"If you're playing well enough and you can do the job, then I don't see why there's any reason why you can't represent your country, even at a World Cup.

"That's obviously something any Australian player would be looking to do and I'm no different.”

Kamau also said breaking into Ange Postecoglou’s squad motivated him to have a strong A-League season.

The 22-year-old played 26 games and finished with seven assists and one goal with City after previously helping former club Adelaide United to their first A-League title.

City will play their first competitive game since last season’s finals, against Peninsula Power on Tuesday night in the FFA Cup Round of 32.

"You look at last season and you review yourself and you have your own goals,” he said.

"Stuff like that (Socceroos selection) is definitely something that's on my radar.”

City unveiled their new kit on Thursday which looks similar to Manchester City’s classic blue and white strip.And while Kamau was an Arsenal supporter as a child, he said he liked the colours and that the material was light which suited the hot conditions.

The kit launch had the whole 2017/18 City squad mingling with club members while enjoying refreshments.

City have so far signed Scott Jamieson, Eugene Galekovic, Iacopo La Rocca and Stefan Mauk for his second stint.

Kamau said he could see how City were really trying to shift attitudes and standards for the rest of the league to follow.

“I think it’s a benchmark for other clubs - the facilities and the vision for how they want the club to be is what inspired me to come to the club,” Kamau said.

“It’s only going to grow, get bigger and better from here on in.

“Those guys (the new signings) have won an A-League championship before. I think that experience helps but also the ones that haven’t won it yet, that desire to win one is something that’ll play a part as well.”

https://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/news/kamau-targets-world-cup-selection-469638

4 minutes ago, haz said:

KAMAU TARGETS WORLD CUP SELECTION

By Clement Tito Jul 29 2017 7:30AM

Bruce Kamau has never represented the Socceroos but lining up for Australia at a World Cup is on his radar.

The Melbourne City winger recently played three games for the green and gold in the 2018 Asian U-23 Championship Qualifiers in Japan and Bahrain.

Kenyan-born Kamau said in November last year his dream was to one day represent Australia when he migrated at just age four.

It isn’t unknown for players with few or no caps to get picked for a World Cup and Kamau said it was all about hitting top gear at the right time.

"It doesn't really matter how many (international) caps you have if you're playing well enough,” Kamau said.

"If you're playing well enough and you can do the job, then I don't see why there's any reason why you can't represent your country, even at a World Cup.

"That's obviously something any Australian player would be looking to do and I'm no different.”

Kamau also said breaking into Ange Postecoglou’s squad motivated him to have a strong A-League season.

The 22-year-old played 26 games and finished with seven assists and one goal with City after previously helping former club Adelaide United to their first A-League title.

City will play their first competitive game since last season’s finals, against Peninsula Power on Tuesday night in the FFA Cup Round of 32.

"You look at last season and you review yourself and you have your own goals,” he said.

"Stuff like that (Socceroos selection) is definitely something that's on my radar.”

City unveiled their new kit on Thursday which looks similar to Manchester City’s classic blue and white strip.And while Kamau was an Arsenal supporter as a child, he said he liked the colours and that the material was light which suited the hot conditions.

The kit launch had the whole 2017/18 City squad mingling with club members while enjoying refreshments.

City have so far signed Scott Jamieson, Eugene Galekovic, Iacopo La Rocca and Stefan Mauk for his second stint.

Kamau said he could see how City were really trying to shift attitudes and standards for the rest of the league to follow.

“I think it’s a benchmark for other clubs - the facilities and the vision for how they want the club to be is what inspired me to come to the club,” Kamau said.

“It’s only going to grow, get bigger and better from here on in.

“Those guys (the new signings) have won an A-League championship before. I think that experience helps but also the ones that haven’t won it yet, that desire to win one is something that’ll play a part as well.”

https://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/news/kamau-targets-world-cup-selection-469638

as made immortal by the Castle

"tell him he's dreaming "

7 hours ago, neio said:

I like his ambition

I prefer players who want to be the best they can be and aim for higher honours then ones who say hopefully I have a good season 

Same.

Obviously it's easy to knock someone that has ambitions and goals early on and sometimes publicly announcing them isn't the most shrewd thing to do. But good luck to him. 

If he makes into the world cup then he will have a special year for us and it's definitely a win win situation. 

• Like 1

LMAO won't get selected. Wont even last long with us. Pretty sure he was only signed to be the token black guy (I know how these things work). Now we have tongyik so expect Kamau to get dropped and sign for thornbury athletic in state 5 north halfway through the season. Never seen a more retarded professional footballer 

14 hours ago, strider said:

LMAO won't get selected. Wont even last long with us. Pretty sure he was only signed to be the token black guy (I know how these things work). Now we have tongyik so expect Kamau to get dropped and sign for thornbury athletic in state 5 north halfway through the season. Never seen a more retarded professional footballer 

But he is a good dribbler and fast so is a good player to have in your fifa team.

• Haha 1

The answer is to look him up on transfermarkt and there you will see, for seasons 2014/15 and 2015/16, how misleading a statistical summary can be. He wasn't a starting player at Adelaide until late in the second season, and only in the GF did he play the full 90. He's never been a regular goalscorer in the A-League (total just a measly 4 goals).

IMO he's repeating at City what he was at Adelaide - over-rated.

27 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

The answer is to look him up on transfermarkt and there you will see, for seasons 2014/15 and 2015/16, how misleading a statistical summary can be. He wasn't a starting player at Adelaide until late in the second season, and only in the GF did he play the full 90. He's never been a regular goalscorer in the A-League (total just a measly 4 goals).

IMO he's repeating at City what he was at Adelaide - over-rated.

the kid has talent and potential, no denying that .

I've made this point before, 2 things stop him taking the next step, one can be solved easily, he needs to put on at least 5kgs of muscle, lower body, to enable him to not be bullied of the ball.

the second is much harder to correct. His decision making , this has l been discussed before by many here, I'm not going to reiterate the points.

If he could solve these 2 areas, he could play in Europe, but the second point is the hardest to correct

I'm very confused at the expectations of A League players. 

The bloke has shown he has ability but never consistently. His overall game is flawed by some big deficiencies (shooting and decision making ) but he is still a valuable player in the context of the A League. If he made the right decisions 9 times out of 10 and could finish clinically he would be a 20 million dollar player but he can't and to be frank I don't think he will. Having said that he is still good enough at A League level. 

And while I'm at it Fitzy is very close to Kamau in this regard but they are still good enough on their day to trouble any defence. I'm happy enough to have them plus a fit Brandan to fight it out for the winger positions.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jovan said:

The bloke has shown he has ability but never consistently. His overall game is flawed by some big deficiencies (shooting and decision making ) but he is still a valuable player in the context of the A League. If he made the right decisions 9 times out of 10 and could finish clinically he would be a 20 million dollar player but he can't and to be frank I don't think he will. Having said that he is still good enough at A League level. 

And while I'm at it Fitzy is very close to Kamau in this regard but they are still good enough on their day to trouble any defence. I'm happy enough to have them plus a fit Brandan to fight it out for the winger positions.

Of Kamau and Fitzy I prefer the latter. For two reasons - Fitzy can run out a match, and he can score.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Of Kamau and Fitzy I prefer the latter. For two reasons - Fitzy can run out a match, and he can score.

Fitzy also suffers from  consistency. I think both a good enough and would happily play both until Fernando returns. Then it will depend on form who gets the nod. FWIW Kamau had 1 goal 7 assists last season and Fitzy had 4 goals 3 assists. 

Kamau's got plenty of ability but his decision making is atrocious. At his age I'm not sure if it can be coached out of him unfortunately, we'll see. Joyce has made a career our of improving young players and helping them reach a high level, so if there's any possibility it can be done then he'd have a chance.

He's easily pushed off the ball but that can be corrected by putting on a bit of muscle and working on his core strength, he's still young enough that that doesn't worry me too much

Edited by Embee

My issue is that at his age the basic stuff should have been developed already, so the question is do we keep him on the pitch with these deficiencies or do we start younger players and develop them.

I would prefer the latter until Kamau earns his starting position again as he consistently costs us attacking potential.

53 minutes ago, playmaker said:

My issue is that at his age the basic stuff should have been developed already, so the question is do we keep him on the pitch with these deficiencies or do we start younger players and develop them.

I would prefer the latter until Kamau earns his starting position again as he consistently costs us attacking potential.

Watched Mitchell Rangers VS Bundoora United last week, one of the wingers for Bundoora was far more developed and influential than Kamau has ever looked. State 5 are where the real gems are tbh

• Like 1

1 hour ago, playmaker said:

14 minutes ago, strider said:

Watched Mitchell Rangers VS Bundoora United last week, one of the wingers for Bundoora was far more developed and influential than Kamau has ever looked. State 5 are where the real gems are tbh

IMO that's the whole point in the Kamau debate. Bruce is already 22. We're not talking about a 17-year-old here. Why spend the time and money to develop him further - when there'e no guarantee of success - when you can go out there and get a ready-made player, even using the "Mature aged rookie" option? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

IMO that's the whole point in the Kamau debate. Bruce is already 22. We're not talking about a 17-year-old here. Why spend the time and money to develop him further - when there'e no guarantee of success - when you can go out there and get a ready-made player, even using the "Mature aged rookie" option? 

Hang on. He is a servicable competent A League player. Frustrating and annoying but still competent. He is miles ahead any so called ready-made player whoever that is. 

Even at 22 he has upside. Maybe not enough for some but as long as he does his job then that's fine with me.

2 hours ago, Jovan said:

Hang on. He is a servicable competent A League player. Frustrating and annoying but still competent. He is miles ahead any so called ready-made player whoever that is. 

Even at 22 he has upside. Maybe not enough for some but as long as he does his job then that's fine with me.

Let's see what a decent coach can do for him.  There is raw talent and enthusiasm.  Maybe enough of what is missing can be instilled with good coaching.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jovan said:

Hang on.

You keep posting sensible stuff like this, during the off season, with no exaggeration and no expletives and you think you can just get away with it?

42 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Hang on.

You keep posting sensible stuff like this, during the off season, with no exaggeration and no expletives and you think you can just get away with it?

I'm saving all my bullshit irrationality for middle of November when its clear to everyone that we have another fucked up team run by a bunch fuck nuggets.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Well done Brucey. 

That brace will do his confidence no end of good.

Agree, great to see him scores and I really hope this is a catalyst to a much better season. Come on Brucey get those blinkers off and rip some killer passes centrally and you will be one of the best wingers in the A-league.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...