Melbourne Football

Bruce Kamau

Murfy1

4 hours ago, strider said:

do melburnians have ass burgers? why do we chant for this bloke? he's just a skinny black traffic cone 

Have to agree Bruce was very, very poor last night. He can't last more than 70 minutes at the best of times, but he's gone badly downhill since the concussion incident. I don't think he should start until we've run out of other options. Sad to say it, but he looks like another player we've taken from another club and then seen deteriorate rapidly.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Jovan said:

He is still very young and raw. Definitely needs a spell but to suggest he finished is premature. 

Certainly not finished.  We've certainly seen enough to know that there is talent in there somewhere.  Trouble is it's not been apparent since he took that crack on the head.  Time out to sort out as something is clearly not right at the moment.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Jovan said:

He is still very young and raw. Definitely needs a spell but to suggest he finished is premature. 

40 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Certainly not finished.  We've certainly seen enough to know that there is talent in there somewhere.  Trouble is it's not been apparent since he took that crack on the head.  Time out to sort out as something is clearly not right at the moment.

When I thought about  things a bit deeper, I realised that the whole team is down - many here commenting that against the Roar we only had one shot on target. Not only Kamau declining, so is the rest of the team. So to pin Kamau is a bit harsh - he just need a better gaffer, someone like Amor.

Give him a 3 week spell and send him over to Manchester to train with the Premier League boys (the reserve squad). Will allow him to get over any lingering concussion issues and should reset his season and fire him up to improve.

No doubt the kid has talent and potential, but if he can't turn it around soon, his career may be in trouble.

32 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Disappointed to see he cost us the second goal with a poor turn over but also had a part role in conceding the first goal. 

Yep totally agree. Ruon could have attacked the ball after he originally ballooned it up but Kamau was just ball watching in the worst possible area. 

On the flipside he didn't get into many good positions and was pretty ineffective. 

The facepalm moment for me was late in the second half, when Muscat (?) had made a good run with the ball to the edge of the box, then knocked it out to Bruce.  When a really good cross into the box was needed, his cross was completely overhit and ended up going out on the far side with Brandan vainly chasing it.  Kamau is a winger, and good crosses should be part of his toolkit.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Seeing how kamau has been playing recently, we need to start Fitzgerald instead of him. Bruce Kamau cannot successfully cross or pass, he cant shoot, he is not strong and was struggling. Fitzgerald has saved our ass in the past like when we defeated adelaide last season when they were undefeated, he even gave us hope in the semis last year when he scored. He is a solid player and fast. He is better at trapping the ball, probably on the same level as kamau at dribbling and can also put balls in the back of the net.

Edited by xXCiTyZeNXx

1 hour ago, xXCiTyZeNXx said:

Seeing how kamau has been playing recently, we need to start Fitzgerald instead of him. Bruce Kamau cannot successfully cross or pass, he cant shoot, he is not strong and was struggling. Fitzgerald has saved our ass in the past like when we defeated adelaide last season when they were undefeated, he even gave us hope in the semis last year when he scored. He is a solid player and fast. He is better at trapping the ball, probably on the same level as kamau at dribbling and can also put balls in the back of the net.

I missed last nights game but you have to be fucking kidding me. Kamau is actually the only bloke in our side that provides any width or ability to run run past an opposition player. Kamau is worth persisting with as he has massive upside. If he gets a good run of games into him with some decent service and support he will be ripping it up in no time.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, wombegongal said:

I missed last nights game but you have to be fucking kidding me. Kamau is actually the only bloke in our side that provides any width or ability to run run past an opposition player. Kamau is worth persisting with as he has massive upside. If he gets a good run of games into him with some decent service and support he will be ripping it up in no time.

I agree that he gets the ball but he cant cant pass or shoot. Yes he assisted timmys goal but that has been one of the only successful crosses he has done

3 hours ago, wombegongal said:

Absolutely spot on. IN the first half he was playing pretty much in front of my sit. The awareness and availability has been absolutely magnificent. His partnership with Ivan terrific. I like Fitsy a lot but no comparison to Bruce at the moment. The only negative about him is fitness, but that's correct for the whole team. So Fitsy will have his chance most definitely.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MXG said:

Absolutely spot on. IN the first half he was playing pretty much in front of my sit. The awareness and availability has been absolutely magnificent. His partnership with Ivan terrific. I like Fitsy a lot but no comparison to Bruce at the moment. The only negative about him is fitness, but that's correct for the whole team. So Fitsy will have his chance most definitely.

You make a good point in that IMO our opinion of  various players/team performance etc. etc. depends a lot on who does what right in front of where we sit at the match - literally a matter of perspective. IMO this accounts for much of the differences in opinion that are aired on here.

Just doesn't take people on enough out wide. He is often isolated one-on-one out wide and really only takes on the fullback about 1 in 10 times. Usually just lays it back or comes inside the full back a bit and lays it off which is really infuriating. That seems to be a confidence thing. But did it a little bit more against WSW 2 times out of 10) although you would expect that playing against 10 men. We will see how he goes in coming weeks.    

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dr lime said:

Just doesn't take people on enough out wide. He is often isolated one-on-one out wide and really only takes on the fullback about 1 in 10 times. Usually just lays it back or comes inside the full back a bit and lays it off which is really infuriating. That seems to be a confidence thing. But did it a little bit more against WSW 2 times out of 10) although you would expect that playing against 10 men. We will see how he goes in coming weeks.    

100 % agree

how many times he was in a situation where he could have cut it back to the strikers in the box, but he back checked it to someone outside the box

some one with his pace, and the positions he has been in should deliver more to the strikers

8 minutes ago, japiedog said:

100 % agree

how many times he was in a situation where he could have cut it back to the strikers in the box, but he back checked it to someone outside the box

some one with his pace, and the positions he has been in should deliver more to the strikers

I agree with this but I don't think its a confidence thing - I think his major flaw is his lack of vision and decision making. I think that he will be a mainstay for the A-League but I can't see him making an impact in better quality leagues because of this.

7 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

I agree with this but I don't think its a confidence thing -I think his major flaw is his lack of vision and decision making. I think that he will be a mainstay for the A-League but I can't see him making an impact in better quality leagues because of this.

I think his major flaw is his lack of vision and decision making

yep this is the "concern"

• Like 1

Not as much decision making in 1v1 situations out wide as you would think. Basically it is: beat the fullback and then deliver to a pre-determined area. Full stop. The "area" can vary but is usually 5-9 metres out from goal, or cut it back to about the penalty spot if you are very close/on the goal line. This "area" can be varied depending on what the coaches want you to do but it is up to the winger to just deliver the ball to an "area" that our forwards know about and then it is up to them to get there. So I think if he can get his confidence up to take players on, then instinct/improvisation takes over and less decision-making is needed. A lot of this comes down to instruction and coaching: support/encouragement to "take the wide guy on whenever you can"  and "when you do, just deliver to area X and it is the job of the strikers to get there"    

6 minutes ago, playmaker said:

This is why Fitzy should start over him as Fitzy looks much more dangerous with the ball, creates, and is a goal threat.

I agree with this. Less "potential" brilliance and ability to beat players than Bruce, but if Bruce isn't taking them on regularly then Fitzy is better value.

While on this topic, I also don't think Brandan takes on the wide guys very much either. Almost always cuts inside to where there are more defenders. Which is why sides that congest the middle like Brisbane and Perth have made it hard for us and why Bruno has struggled for service in these types of games as the defence doesn't get pulled wide at all. They know Brandan and Bruce are almost always going to cut inside or play it back into midfield. Hopefully this changes now that JVS has gone. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, playmaker said:

This is why Fitzy should start over him as Fitzy looks much more dangerous with the ball, creates, and is a goal threat.

If you look at their career stats, they are almost identical. And for me Kamau has better skills which is why I think that he is the preferred starter. But for me I would sub one for the other at the 70 min mark. I would even say that it probably does not matter who you start as long as they are subbed off because both of them have a similar impact.

2 hours ago, dr lime said:

Not as much decision making in 1v1 situations out wide as you would think. Basically it is: beat the fullback and then deliver to a pre-determined area. Full stop. The "area" can vary but is usually 5-9 metres out from goal, or cut it back to about the penalty spot if you are very close/on the goal line. This "area" can be varied depending on what the coaches want you to do but it is up to the winger to just deliver the ball to an "area" that our forwards know about and then it is up to them to get there. So I think if he can get his confidence up to take players on, then instinct/improvisation takes over and less decision-making is needed. A lot of this comes down to instruction and coaching: support/encouragement to "take the wide guy on whenever you can"  and "when you do, just deliver to area X and it is the job of the strikers to get there"    

Actually when 1v1 Kamau usually is fouled and a kick is taken. Only when the defender knows that the back four are in place do they take him on. Effectively the opposing side chooses the foul to stop the run. And he is fast (as is Fitzy) because on a few occassions this season he has had no one to pass to. And this comes back to the coaching and tactics.

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, playmaker said:

He is the major contributor to our lack of spark up forward. His continual holding of the ball after a run is excruciating to watch.

You have to get that ball into the box first time to stop the defenders organising. 

Needs a spell from the first 11 as we have better option for the position.

He needs to bulk up significantly to go to the next level with his football. For us, his decision-making in the box is killing this team, and so is him missing every opportunity to cross the ball in on the first chance, ultimately drawing 2-3 defenders and turning the ball over. He needs to come off the bench against Victory.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jovan said:

He is quality. 6 assists. Needs a rest and regain some form. Entire squad has been rubbish. 

He will be an important player if we make the finals. 

Fair enough. But statistics can be very misleading. Count the number of times he should (and could) have done a lot better.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Fair enough. But statistics can be very misleading. Count the number of times he should (and could) have done a lot better.

True, but the question is are you better to have someone that creates 10 chances and converts 1 or 2 or someone that creates 2 chances and converts 1 or 2. For me, its always the former because if they have a good day anything can happen.

Being in the right position is an art in itself and Bruce seems more apt at it than Fitzy in particular, he just has much more problem in the finishing department. Like Troisi for Victory though, we might find once he gets one the floodgates will open.

• Like 1