Melbourne Football

Bruce Kamau

Murfy1

The control, speed, change of direction and the ability to turn a game on it's head. This kid is the real deal. 

Also great to see he really brings his team mates in to the game. Too many young blokes with good skills try and do their own thing, he is confident in his skills but doesn't hog it. Will be a great great player. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CityHeart said:

sublime.

any chance at all we could have him for 2 seasons?

Dw he'll just be 'Sold' to Manchester City and hopefully sent back here for another year t0 develop.

Edited by haz

1 hour ago, mjake1234 said:

This guy is electric. Fast, good ball skills, very aware of his surroundings, spot on passing and not afraid to take on players. Easily replaces the exciting play of Novillo. A great signing.

And being Australian and young. Downside is if he continues like this he will be gone next season. 

With any luck for him he leaves as a 2 time championship winner. 

I know many are saying he will be gone next year but he is only 21. He has time up his sleeve for now and making a move before he has fully established himself here wouldn't be good for him. Its not just his on pitch performances that matter but that he is ready both physically and mentally to move overseas.

My opinion is that he should do what Mooy has done as opposed to lets say Mauk. Establish himself in the Aleague where he will be garunteed game time, make sure his performances are consistently high. Then aim to break into the Socceroos squad. Get international experience through that where he will be noticed more on the international scale. Then when theres enough buzz about him use the CFG network to make steps in getting up to the top leagues.     

• Like 5

Melbourne City recruit Bruce Kamau delivers blistering performance to tear Melbourne Victory to shreds

Anna Harrington, FOX SPORTS

October 15, 2016

ALL EYES were on Tim Cahill during Saturday night’s derby.

But one other, lesser-known recruit lit up the Etihad Stadium pitch.

Former Adelaide winger Bruce Kamau had looked exceptionally promising in Melbourne City’s 1-0 win over Wellington in Round 1, with his creativity and dash causing havoc for the Phoenix defence.

Having crossed from Adelaide in the off-season, it had always seemed likely the youngster would continue to improve under the tutelage of Bruno Fornaroli and Tim Cahill.

But on the Derby stage, the 21-year-old took his game to another level..

Opposed to Victory left back Daniel Georgievski, Kamau took his far more experienced defender to the cleaners with a tremendous show of pace, physicality and evasiveness.

First, he turned Georgievski inside out to unleash a dangerous ball inside the area in the opening minutes.

The next time, a more wary Georgievski clipped the winger’s heels, giving away a free kick in a dangerous position.

Kamau would continue to have a burning influence throughout the first 45 minutes, cutting swathes through the Victory defence and making multiple runs down the right hand side.

While appearing to have a directive to take his opponents on, Kamau said his instinctive play was the combined result of enjoying his football and having an increase in playing time at Melbourne City.

While appearing to have a directive to take his opponents on, Kamau said his instinctive play was the combined result of enjoying his football and having an increase in playing time at Melbourne City.

“Personally I just go out there and play my game, go out there and try and enjoy it as much as possible,” he told Fox Sports after the match.

“(If) the result of that is me playing well every week, so be it.

“I think that (my form has) come with gaining more time and playing more consistently, having a solid pre-season under my belt with a new team.

“So I think I’ll just continue improving slowly.”

Kamau’s physicality for a young player was particularly impressive, while his composure under pressure also stood out.

While his touch was impressive, it was Kamau’s ability to quickly change between a halting, stuttering gait and an explosive sprint that left opponents reeling that proved crucial to City’s fortunes.

But the youngster saved his most impressive move for the second half.

Receiving the ball after some impressive persistence from City skipper Bruno Fornaroli, Kamau took on Victory centre-back Alen Baro, sending the defender sprawling as he turned on the afterburners.

But the humiliation didn’t stop there — after leaving Baro on the floor, Kamau confidently cut the ball back between four Victory defenders to leave Luke Brattan wide open for City’s fourth goal.

Former Socceroos striker Josh Kennedy said he was impressed by the youngster’s physicality and strong decision-making ability, something that he believed set Kamau apart from other wingers.

“For me, (he was) fantastic to watch,” Kennedy said on Fox Sports.

“Any player who can go one-on-one and obviously do something with the ball, that’s something Australia misses, that’s what we lack.

“(It was impressive) for him to do that right at the beginning of the game — Georgievski had a big problem with him — and he showed that football intelligence to cut that ball back to Brattan as well.

“We may see a young man mature and be a future star of the league.”

Former Melbourne Victory forward Archie Thompson was also wowed by Kamau’s physicality and said he considered the winger best afield.

“I actually thought he was man of the match,” Thompson said on Fox Sports.

“Adelaide would be pinching themselves to (have) let this boy go, I mean, you can see with the way he attacks players … (especially the) third goal where he pushed (Baro) off the ball, there’s not much of him either.

“To have that composure at his age in that box to find Brattan, he’s got a very, very bright future.”

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-city-recruit-bruce-kamau-delivers-blistering-performance-to-tear-melbourne-victory-to-shreds/news-story/b9232ad12cda89f21db3ae615851a852

17 minutes ago, ecguymer said:

....any word on how he's doing after that ball-to-face tonight?

Watching the replay saw him back on the sideline at the end of half time. Looked to be ok. He would have been dangerous in the second half. Fitzy was extremely ordinary when he came on. 

Edited by n i k o

9 hours ago, n i k o said:

Watching the replay saw him back on the sideline at the end of half time. Looked to be ok. He would have been dangerous in the second half. Fitzy was extremely ordinary when he came on. 

At least he's well rested for Tuesday night.  Need him and Colazo back.   The man who would be rat can't do it all on his own.

On 10/16/2016 at 3:29 AM, GreenSeater said:

This kid is something else. How the fuck did Adelaide let him go?!

when he was a youth player all they offered him was a one year deal.  by the time they woke up to the fact that they'd fucked up, he was sought after.  Now City will sell him (eventually) for many times what they have paid him in salary.  Massive business stuff up (let alone football wise) in "the pissant town".

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

when he was a youth player all they offered him was a one year deal.  by the time they woke up to the fact that they'd fucked up, he was sought after.  Now City will sell him (eventually) for many times what they have paid him in salary.  Massive business stuff up (let alone football wise) in "the pissant town".

Thats where australian clubs need to be much better in identifying quality young players and putting them on good contracts 

• 3 weeks later...

I like this kid a lot, and he is a fantastic young talent, but he needs to start eating a bit more. Every time he's played this season he's gone down injured at some point. And not in the same way as Fernando where it's clearly just a show, but he gets knocked down and hurt for quite a while at least once a week. He's definitely got the talent, but he needs to get stronger to survive the physicality of the A League.

2 minutes ago, Ruckoo said:

his cross for the second goal was superb! let alone the turn to beat his player. Will be the best winger OZ has seen. calling it now.

It wasn't just a turn - it was a 360 outside and around turn which would take 2 seconds longer but he made it in the same time someone turns the one way!!

11 hours ago, Jovan said:

That first 30 minutes he was superb. Was much quieter in the second half. The ball movement was way too slow and predictable. 

1 hour ago, GreenSeater said:

I like this kid a lot, and he is a fantastic young talent, but he needs to start eating a bit more. Every time he's played this season he's gone down injured at some point. And not in the same way as Fernando where it's clearly just a show, but he gets knocked down and hurt for quite a while at least once a week. He's definitely got the talent, but he needs to get stronger to survive the physicality of the A League.

I agree that at the moment Bruce is getting knocked about too much each match. Even when he's on fire early, long balls in the air to him are a waste of time as he gets shoved off the ball too easily. He needs the ball delivered on the deck about 3-5m in front of him so he can use his pace. If I were the coach (haha) I'd be routinely subbing him off at half-time and bringing on Fitzy. Bruce is the better footballer, but we need to give the lad's body some respite.

Part of our problem is that a number of our players routinely delay their passes too long, and this spells trouble for players such as Kamau and Fitzy who rely a lot on their pace to create the opening. Caceres was a big offender in this last night. We're being choked in attack not so much by defenders but by our own slow ball transition.

• Like 2

Was sensational for the first couple of weeks but has not actually gone past anyone for the past 3 weeks (and was particularly shithouse at trying to get past Brown last week in Brisbane). Same last night apart from getting a yard of space and putting in a good cross for the goal. In fact, he still didn't beat the full back, just put in a good cross.  I wonder how much that knock on the head a few weeks ago has affected him as I don't think he has been very good at all since then. Seems to be reacting a second too late to things which can be a subsequent reaction to concussion, often for a few weeks afterwards. You test okay in the neurological tests but you are just not 100%. Hopefully that is the case and he comes good soon. I was also really impressed by how hard/tough in the tackle he was in the early rounds (as I always thought he was a bit soft while at Adelaide) but that seems to be down a bit also now. Crossing my fingers he can start skinning guys out wide again soon as when teams park the bus that is the main way to counteract it.  

Edited by dr lime
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...