Melbourne Football

Semi final vs Adelaide United. Fri 22nd, 7:35pm (local time)

kingawesomeness

Based on the stats there is no way harry should start.

Last 6 games

Goals.                 0 0 0 1 0 0

Shot assists.     1 1 4 1 1 1

Goal Assists.     0 0 0 0 0 0

Absolute rubbish for a striker/wing

And not taking into account his head issues that have a great impact on team unity.

BTW:  Garuccio on Sunday had 3 shot assists at LW.

The other tactical point is do we come out hard and fast, look to silence the crowd early with a goal and hope we hold on in the last 25 minutes because we have nothing left in the tank after 65 minutes OR do we sit back in the first half and let them come at us and get them on the counter, with the rsik of having to chase the game in the second half, remembering we have injuries to Caceras and a six day break.?

2 hours ago, belaguttman said:

The next step is getting a coach that teaches the team how to play possession football

Interestingly enough our Adelaide win and Perth game is seen to be two of our best games ever played.

42% and 62% possession respectively.

Who knows if JVS knows what he is doing.

Edited by playmaker

1 hour ago, belaguttman said:

The next step is getting a coach that teaches the team how to play possession football

If these guys can't do it..... I really don't think we have the skills to make it work. 

image.jpg

• Like 2

Leave Franjic out. Why change a lineup that worked??

Melbourne City young gun Paulo Retre looks to next opportunity in semi-final

Roy Ward

Paulo Retre of Melbourne City looks to pass during the A-League elimination final against Perth Glory.

Paulo Retre of Melbourne City looks to pass during the A-League elimination final against Perth Glory. Photo: Getty Images

In professional sport, staying ready is an athlete's number one job.

Even if you sit low on of the playing list, circumstances can change quickly and see you thrown into the fray.

Late last week, Melbourne City's star right back Ivan Franjic felt his hamstring tighten at training and he eventually was ruled out of City's side to face Perth Glory in an elimination final.

Paulo Retre hadn't played 70 minutes of a game for at least six weeks but had kept training and making some substitution appearances.

Retre can play in the midfield and also at right back which is where City coach John van't Schip assigned him when the team was named on game day.

The 23 year old had filled the position at different points during the campaign but he faced an enormous task of slotting into the side and also keeping his head while under attack from Glory's star playmakers Diego Castro and Nebojsa Marinkovic.

"I think I only got the call on Thursday and only knew for sure the day before the game so there wasn't much notice," Retre said.

"But I was just happy to be back in the side and part of a winning team."

Having City veterans Patrick Kisnorbo and Alex Wilkinson in central defence helped Retre as did having Nick Fitzgerald dropping back to support him from his wide midfield role.

Indeed it was a highlight of City's performance they could pressure and harass Glory while also keeping together on defence and being able to keep a clean sheet.

"The two central defenders make a massive difference as they have such experience so they were great for myself and Jack Clisby

," Petre said.

"But defensively the whole team performance was the main part of our game - our defensive performance wasn't just one or two players but more so the whole team working together."

van't Schip made similar comments following City's 2-0 win over the Glory and he will be tempted not to meddle with the winning formula when City fight for the club's first berth in the A League grand final when the face Adelaide United at a sold out semi-final at Coopers Stadium, Adelaide on Friday night.

Retre was replaced in the 81st minute after cramps struck him down but with young legs and a diligent recovery he expects to be able to run through a full game on Friday night if selected.

"We played a pretty hard game in terms of intensity and went at them in the first half," Retre said.

"I was feeling it a bit in the second half - I don't think I had played more than 70 minutes for five or six weeks so it's hard to keep your match fitness, you can run all day at training but it's not the same as in the game."

Franjic's injury reportedly isn't a serious one and the Socceroos squad member could well force himself back into the side but Retre won't be giving up on retaining a place.

"I'm not thinking about that," Retre said when asked about Franjic's potential return.

"Hopefully I can keep my spot but whatever happens it's more about what's best for the team.

"It would be massive for me personally and for the club as well to play in this semi-final and attempt to make the first grand final in club history."

Melbourne City play Adelaide United at Coopers Stadium on Friday night at 7.35pm.

The reason to change the lineup and the tactics is exactly the same as it is for every other match - your opponent sets particular challenges that are best met with different players of tactics. This one feature of Atletico, they are flexible and adapt to the particular opponent and their challenges. They always play a smothering team press and control space rather than possession but do this in a flexible way. JVS is no Simeone though, he'll probably try to play exactly the same way with the same players

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

The reason to change the lineup and the tactics is exactly the same as it is for every other match - your opponent sets particular challenges that are best met with different players of tactics. This one feature of Atletico, they are flexible and adapt to the particular opponent and their challenges. They always play a smothering team press and control space rather than possession but do this in a flexible way. JVS is no Simeone though, he'll probably try to play exactly the same way with the same players

Nevertheless I still think we can beat Adelaide if we show the same intensity as we did against Perth.

• Like 1

The problem with this particular team is the lack of fire power off the bench.  The boys who came on did well last week, but the truth is they are all "tradesman" types.  They can come on and not let us down and protect a lead, but they won't get us out of trouble if we fall behind.  That is going to have to come from the starting XI.

If I was gaffer I'd love to have a match winner like Novillo at my disposal, for all his issues and eccentricities.  Anyway its not to be (presume he and the club weren't prepare to lie at the tribunal, unlike some?)

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

I think the comments were more related to the views of some that if Novillo was available he should be on the pitch.

But you are right, there is always flexibility to start defensive players for Fitzy or Garuccio if we want to clamp down the defence and rely on a counter.

5 minutes ago, strider said:

im not sitting on shitty airline seats and drinking coopers all weekend to lose to these grubs! 

Those grubs outplayed us at home and without your boyfriend jvs will be asking ball boys what he should do next. 

Clueless numnut

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jestr said:

Those grubs outplayed us at home and without your boyfriend jvs will be asking ball boys what he should do next. 

Clueless numnut

Yes they did. But it took a set piece and penalty for them to score. In fact all three games against them we haven't had much to worry about in open play. 

• Like 3

Damn. For all his issues having a player with the flair and talent to bin a shot from well outside the box such as Harry not be available is disappointing. Plus I thought he was critical in many of the goals we've scored against them this season at Coopers. Guess we must once again:

#BELIVEINBRUNO

3 minutes ago, LovethisCity said:

Hi Everyone,

5 year member of the club, regular reader on this forum, first time poster!

Quick question...if Brisbane win we all know where the GF will we played.  But if WSW win......Pirtek? ANZ?

LOVE THIS CITY!

Whichever is the biggest stadium. You know, those profits.

8 minutes ago, LovethisCity said:

Hi Everyone,

5 year member of the club, regular reader on this forum, first time poster!

Quick question...if Brisbane win we all know where the GF will we played.  But if WSW win......Pirtek? ANZ?

LOVE THIS CITY!

FFA have said ANZ, which I'm not opposed to rather play at a ground unfarmiliar to both sides.