Melbourne Football

Semi final vs Adelaide United. Fri 22nd, 7:35pm (local time)

kingawesomeness

Adelaide killed us in the midfield and their defence is quite easily the best in the league. Bruno managed a few shots but with only three in our forward line, we often lacked the numbers to stretch and break them down. Compounding that problem was the fact that we looked buggered after 30 minutes, courtesy of the short turnaround.

When we beat them 1-0 a month ago, we had Zullo, Franjic and Novillo. For all of their negatives (and there are a few), they have all played at a higher level and are simply better players than Garuccio, Retre and Clisby. These blokes are just not at the same level yet. It was quite obvious last night. 

Unfortunately Caceres wasn't able to have a big impact either. 

6 minutes ago, Harrison said:

. Compounding that problem was the fact that we looked buggered after 30 minutes, courtesy of the short turnaround.

The final system is designed to massively favour the top 2 teams, as it should. We didn't only lose it in midfield, we lost it through all those flakey performances that cost us the Premiers Plate

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

If you have a look at last nights Djite strike, you'll see he dives *under* the ball, and not for the first time.

Djite spoke at length at the end of the match about how he watched our penalty videos from this season and found Sorenson moves early so he just waited until Sorenson was committed and sent the ball the other way. Just thought it was interesting as others on here have pointed out how Sorenson does this to his detriment.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, belaguttman said:

I thought that we showed good effort last night (a change in a big game like that) but were tactically poor and individually poor at key moments and that's why we were beaten. Strebre was poor but hey, this is the A League, it was just another A League ref performance, noting unusual unfortunately. The only good thing is that we have failed to progress with a superior team to last season and failed to qualify for ACL so it's unlikely that JVS will stay. Unfortunately that means a new coach and a large turnover in the player list, again. We need to stop building and start consolidating if we want to win anything.

This is the first season where:

we have finished with a positive goal difference

won more than we have lost

beaten every team in the league at least once

We had 11 players coming out contract at season's end, so the turnover was likely in any case. I won't list the players but for me Wilko would be the one the club must re-sign; some I don't mind either way (Caceres, Marino); others I wouldn't re-sign (Hughes, Brown).

Gombau showed that a large turnover is not required to get the team playing better. This would depend on the new manager. I certainly hope that if CFG axe JVS then the new manager would be waiting at Madrid airport right now.

Never really looked in the game. They set up so well defensively and their ball movement is so swift and precise. Will probably go on and win the grand final whoever they play which I hope they don't but to their credit they're a great team. Fitzgerald and Mooy battled hard last night but they shut us down way too quickly on most occasions. They Cleary didn't rate retre at right back and he struggled big time. Anyway at least we got to celebrate a goal and have a few laughs at their ugly as fuck crowd and their shit town

1. Your just a shit Ballarat 

2. Coffee is shit everywhere 

3. That fat guy screaming at us was hilarious

Only good things about Adelaide is everything is so close and tinder is easy as shit hahaha and girls absolutely froff Melbourne guys 😂

Edited by Fredinho69

14 hours ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

If you have a look at last nights Djite strike, you'll see he dives *under* the ball, and not for the first time.

Too many people who have never played in goal are goalkeeping experts. That was a great shot. If you have a look at the lead up you will also see Djite jog past Malik and Mooy unmarked into 10 yards of space on the edge of the box before it fell to him.I was actually more annoyed at the penalty in some ways. Djite has hit every penalty low to the keeper's right but Sorensen went early and left. Unprofessional not to have an idea of where the opposition penalty takers usually go. But I'll forgive him, he has been great for us this season. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rass said:

Joined the march to the ground from The Gov with the family. 

Thanks everyone, just a wonderful experience and had a ball chanting all the way. 

Yeah the result sucked ass, but great to be part of it all.

Let's fuk em hard next season!!!

It was great to see so many people on the march, especially families and people that wouldn't usually be on one for a home game

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Yea I've heard it was absolutely packed. There has been good turn outs at the imp for away days the last few this season hopefully that continues into next season 

I was suprised of the turn out. Was my first time and brought my wife. It was not only the younger generation but all ages ranging from 18 to 60. My gut feeling is that we will have more members next year regardless if JVS is there or not. But of course, if he does leave and a few decent recruits come we should get 10k at the beginning of the season

On April 19, 2016 at 11:22 AM, CityGirl said:

Since l predicted the result and who would score a double against Perth, it will be 2-0 for City with Fornarolli and Fitzgerald to score one each.

I see green lines are given. I didn't get any green lines for predicting Bruno will score a double against Perth and do l get a green line for predicting that Fitzgerald will score against Adelaide?

8 hours ago, CityGirl said:

I see green lines are given. I didn't get any green lines for predicting Bruno will score a double against Perth and do l get a green line for predicting that Fitzgerald will score against Adelaide?

Green lines were originally meant to be handed out for inside information on club happenings not game predictions.

• Like 4