Melbourne Football

Historic First Home Final. vs. Perth. Sun 17 Apr, 5.00 pm, AAMI Park

jw1739

2 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Honestly hadn't read back, is heart of the city a woman? I just being facisious about the yobo comment, no offence intended. 

actually I think i'm the one who's confused.

Bit early to claim i'm on the piss, how about "auto correct"?

apologises

Edited by Shahanga
fixed before grammar nazis get me.
  • Like 1

With regards to the state of the pitch at AAMI, there was an article by Les Murray last week regarding the need for a football specific rectangular stadium which is not shared by other codes i am a firm believer in the need for a stadium of this kind here in Melbourne. i can't blame the Rugby boys for the state of the pitch at AAMI , where else is there in or around Melbourne. Every time i travel into AAMI park i pass a very little used Victoria park (ex Collingwood) ground and i did mention this in a reply to Les Murray's blog that i could see a wonderful opportunity for CFG to redevelop this old ground which has a station right on the doorstep and with redevelopement could include plenty of parking space. To my mind a great opportunity to own our stadium. i know this has been mentioned before but having just seen the destruction of the playing surface at AAMI i thought it worth the effort to post.

Edited by johnno cpfc
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, johnno cpfc said:

With regards to the state of the pitch at AAMI, there was an article by Les Murray last week regarding the need for a football specific rectangular stadium which is not shared by other codes i am a firm believer in the need for a stadium of this kind here in Melbourne. i can't blame the Rugby boys for the state of the pitch at AAMI , where else is there in or around Melbourne. Every time i travel into AAMI park i pass a very little used Victoria park (ex Collingwood) ground and i did mention this in a reply to Les Murray's blog that i could see a wonderful opportunity for CFG to redevelop this old ground which has a station right on the doorstep and with redevelopement could include plenty of parking space. To my mind a great opportunity to own our stadium. i know this has been mentioned before but having just seen the destruction of the playing surface at AAMI i thought it worth the effort to post.

Everytime I go to AAMI I pass the ruler flat oval that used to be Olympic Park, right next to AAMI has somehow been appropriated by an AFL team. Use that space for a rugby pitch or let CFG build a 20,000 seat football stadium. It's just the AFL giving all the other football codes the finger

12 hours ago, Shahanga said:

@thisphantomfortressseriously?  you are directing that post to a female?? 

8 hours ago, HeartOfCity said:

Ha ha ha funny shit no need to apologise though, am actually a guy that has AFL upbringing hence the reason for the yobo thought. :D 

8 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Then my tongue in cheek insult stands!

This is true sexism.

7 hours ago, malloy said:

Sexist

6 hours ago, Jimmy said:

This is true sexism.

Check yo privilege you machines of the patriarchy! Everyone knows you can't be sexists to men just like you can't be racist to whites!

as a white, hetero, male the Internet has taught me I am reason for everything that's wrong in the world. The sooner you two realise this and step out of your heteronormative bubble the sooner we can bring on the impending Marxist utopia.

• Like 1

Hahaha, this headlines should read: Melbourne City coach John van 't Schip expects Bruno Fornaroli to star in finals and save his sorry arse!

JVS chucked the towel in when it came to the FFA Cup and miserable fail when it came to the premiers plate. Win the toilet seat+ sack JVS = good off season

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/melbourne-city-coach-john-van-t-schip-expects-bruno-fornaroli-to-star-in-finals-20160416-go7w45.html

Melbourne City coach John van 't Schip expects Bruno Fornaroli to star in finals

Sharp shooter: Bruno Fornaroli has scored a league-high 23 goals this season.

Sharp shooter: Bruno Fornaroli has scored a league-high 23 goals this season. Photo: Getty Images

Melbourne City coach John van 't Schip has tipped striker Bruno Fornaroli to star under the spotlight of the A League finals.

The Uruguayan forward has scored a league-high 23 goals this season and he believes his star will find even more ways to impact the game now City faces an elimination final against Perth Glory at AAMI Park on Sunday.

Van 't Schip said City's first home final was a big occasion and the platform Fornaroli craved.

"He loves playing big games," van 't Schip said.

"He is coming from a culture of always competing and fighting and playing competitive games.

"Bruno will be up to it and he will show that and I think it's important that the players also go out there and enjoy it.

"It's great we have achieved making the play-offs and now we need to go out there and enjoy these kind of games by playing the best possible way you can."

French forward Harry Novillo will miss the game through suspension and his absence may see van 't Schip change his formation or bring in a direct replacement such as attacking midfielder Anthony Cacares or striker Marc Marino.

But the City boss refuses to show his cards until game day.

"We played a few times without Harry so we will come up with something tomorrow," van 't Schip said.

"Always with these kind of things, like injuries and suspensions, you move on and immediately go to the next option and that's what we are doing."

The Glory won't reveal if star playmaker Diego Castro (hamstring) and wide midfielder Chis Harold will play until game day, although neither has had a full week of training.

The AAMI Park pitch received criticism from visiting Super Rugby side the Hurricanes on Friday night after several patches of turf were dug up during scrums.

But van 't Schip expressed confidence in the ground staff to produce the best possible surface, despite recent Super Rugby and NRL games on the ground.

"I'm confident they will put the best possible pitch up there for us," van 't Schip said.

"I know it's not the best possible time and, looking at the game Friday night [at Suncorp Stadium], the pitch in Brisbane was terrible as well.

"It doesn't help the game we want to play but that's the period of the year we are in and we have to cope with it.

"I was very happy with the pitch the last game we played, the result wasn't good but the pitch was in as good a shape as it was before."

City's form has dipped leading into the finals but van 't Schip says that doesn't always translate into the finals.

"The momentum now is different," van 't Schip said.

"We know we didn't finish in a good way but finals are a different thing and you start all over again.

"Both teams are coming from losses and, looking at the week we had and the players we will put on the pitch, we are confident we will play a good game."

With Melbourne Victory out of the finals, Melbourne City can draw in many new supporters if they can make a run to the grand final, although van 't Schip won't look past the Glory.

"Every play-off game is a big game," van 't Schip said.

"We are looking at the games as separate, win the game and move forward.

"You always want to get higher and our goal now is to win it."

Sunday's game must have a winner so, if the teams are tied at full-time there will be 15 minutes of extra time each way then, if the tie is not broken, the teams will have a penalty shoot-out.

Melbourne City hosts Perth Glory at AAMI Park on Sunday at 5pm.

8 minutes ago, bumpyknuckles said:

So after thinking I couldn't make this game, and thus not organising a ticket, I am know able to attend. 

I assume it won't be a sellout and tickets are available at the gate? Or should I buy online and can they scan off my phone?

usually I just scan my membership so a bit unsure if I need a paper ticket

There are plenty of tickets available according to Ticketek, but just checked and the south end looks as though it's filling up now. Buy at the gate - just go a bit early to make sure you get in before kick-off.

If in doubt call Ticketek now.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

I'd like to see us play with width, probably best with 4-3-3 with Garuccio, Fornaroli and Fitzgerald up front (and Franjic bombing up field), and attack Perth from kick off. In our last 2 encounters against Perth I reckon the team failed to put enough pressure on Perth's goal, and consequently Perth got into the game, and while physically bullying our team they got control and ended up getting results. Despite the results though we still put 2 goals past Perth in the last 2 games, and of course 5 goals past them the last time we played at AAMI, so the team has to play attacking/positive, score first and kick on.

Also Melbourne City will likely have to fight and tough it out with Perth all game. But this time, fight on the pitch, and not off it.

Perfect day for football. No excuses for not turning out. Time to make AAMI a fortress for Melbourne City again.