Melbourne Football

Reflections on the season

AzureKingfisher

I think plenty of players have put in over the course of the season but the manager has been plagued by troublesome players throughout both of his appointments. It's quite clear the manager is at fault. I suspect a few players need to be removed due to their attitude but by and large this isn't the issue. The fish is rotten at the head and is still trying to swim.  

pro's - scored plenty of goals
got to watch the 2 best players in the league
home derby, wsw and roar home wins

con's - 1 of the worst defence's in the comp
visa gk
hughes visa
jvs still here
no guest 
no marquee replacement for koren (bruno wasn't used)
2 losses v newcastle, wellington,brisbane, wsw
ffa cup embarrassment 

1 minute ago, japiedog said:

we love you Smurfs, we do , we love you Smurfs, we do

2-0 up against Perth

Hold on to give us a home final

We're still gonna get raped as long as Castro is on the field. Perhaps less likely since it'll be at home

16 hours ago, Thrillhouse said:

cunts got nothing on tuna and mooy

fortunately for him, Mooy doesn't play on anyone and the fish plays on the other side of the pitch.

Furthermore, Novillo doesn't defend. 

$3.20 is looking like good odds for perth to win.

We didn't get anything from our marquee international and another visa player, that is apparently good enough to play for a Euro 2016 team. Shore up those two spots (well, two visa spots in reality, since Fornaroli is automatically the marquee if he stays) and we're good. Having said that, with so much uncertainty surrounding the squad, including our two current Socceroos squad members, it might be a case of filling a hole, but losing the doughnut, if Mooy, Wilkinson and others (Fornaroli of course) depart.

All up, I've said it in another thread, but the prevailing thought is what a waste of Tuna and Mooy, only managing a home elimination final through sheer luck.

More or less agree with most of what has been said above.

However, I don't think that the squad is nearly as good as some make out, even after the activities in the January transfer window.
If we look at the listed forwards on the club web-site they are: Fornaroli, Gameiro, Novillo, Kuzmanovski, Dekker, Marino and Brown. From that group we have been carried this season by Fornaroli and to a lesser extent Novillo, the latter a "problem child" if ever there was one. Injuries to Gameiro, Dekker, Marino and Brown.
In midfield the listed players are: Melling, Garuccio, Retre, Mooy, Trifiro, Fitzgerald and Caceres. Obviously the stand-out player there is Mooy, with lesser roles filled by Fitzgerald and Caceres, but the others look to me like square pegs in round holes, especially Garuccio.
In the defence, well, what can you say. Franjic, Kisnorbo, Chapman, Clisby, Zullo, Hughes, Malik and Wilkinson. I've been very disappointed with Franjic and Zullo, and again the club signing injured players has backfired. Hughes - best say nothing, because that's been his contribution on the field. Chapman was injured for a significant period, and we've relied so much on the old warhorse himself, Kisnorbo.
Goalkeepers: Sorensen and Bouzanis. I'm not against using a visa place on a GK, and although Sorensen has played well enough overall I've been less impressed as the season has gone on, and I'm not convinced that Tando would have been worse.

Really the team has revolved around just a handful of players. As such I think that fourth place might even flatter us, despite the great football we have seen, the 63 goals, the sensational individual goals along the way, and the privilege of watching Mooy and Fornaroli in City shirts. We do at least have a home final, but the fragilities of Melbourne City are still there - signing injured players, poor use of visa places on the roster, and the tendency to choke when grit and determination are called for.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 4

44 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

More or less agree with most of what has been said above.

However, I don't think that the squad is nearly as good as some make out, even after the activities in the January transfer window.
If we look at the listed forwards on the club web-site they are: Fornaroli, Gameiro, Novillo, Kuzmanovski, Dekker, Marino and Brown. From that group we have been carried this season by Fornaroli and to a lesser extent Novillo, the latter a "problem child" if ever there was one. Injuries to Gameiro, Dekker, Marino and Brown.
In midfield the listed players are: Melling, Garuccio, Retre, Mooy, Trifiro, Fitzgerald and Caceres. Obviously the stand-out player there is Mooy, with lesser roles filled by Fitzgerald and Caceres, but the others look to me like square pegs in round holes, especially Garuccio....

JW, i totally agree with you.

Whilst it may look star-studded in some areas, i think we really lack.

The problem for mine has always been the midfield. Would have been a different story if Koren turned out to be a quarter of the player he was. I still cannot believe how he wasn't replaced in January. 

We often get hammered in the midfield, as our blokes are serviceable rather thsn great,  with the exception of Mooy. 

Fuk off JVS, bring in 2 gun mids (1 if Mooy stays) and do everything to hold onto Tuna.

I guess the best thing about a home final is that we can't hide behind any lame excuses...going to Perth would have been met in the media by the typical "it's tough over there" statements in the paper and from JvS. If we lose it's entirely because we're damn well not good enough and deserved to, just like we did in Perth.

• Like 1

I posted it a while back in one of the threads but this season no matter where we finished would probably be the best based on so many records broken and performances on display. Had there ever been a team that finished 4th and put on such a display as we have this season.

Big call but probably go down as the best fourth position in the history of the football. 

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

So, there we are. We finished better placed in the regular season than we have done before,

So we were a tiny bit less shit than last year? Honestly finishing anywhere from 4th to 7th amounts to about the same thing. It means you were mediocre. The only way I would have said we clearly improved on last year was if we'd come 1st or 2nd.

17 minutes ago, hakz7 said:

Just happy we got to see the best ever A-League striker dominate.

Seriously?

Who gives a fuck about seeing Bruno, idgaf about the golden boot or any of that individual shit. It's all worth nothing to me without team success

All style no substance with this fucking club. JVS just fuck off you useless bastard

21 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Seriously?

Who gives a fuck about seeing Bruno, idgaf about the golden boot or any of that individual shit. It's all worth nothing to me without team success

All style no substance with this fucking club. JVS just fuck off you useless bastard

I probably should have worded it better. I just meant, now that the season's finished, the thing we can actually look back on is Bruno's perormances.

4 minutes ago, hakz7 said:

I probably should have worded it better. I just meant, now that the season's finished, the thing we can actually look back on is Bruno's perormances.

Yeah thats fair enough mate, sorrry, didn't want it to seem i was having a go at you.

So many people at the pub tonight i over heard were saying shit like "at least we finished higher then victory, at least we got to see bruno score goals blah blah blah" just so many people just not seeing the bigger picture!

1 minute ago, kingofhearts said:

Yeah thats fair enough mate, sorrry, didn't want it to seem i was having a go at you.

So many people at the pub tonight i over heard were saying shit like "at least we finished higher then victory, at least we got to see bruno score goals blah blah blah" just so many people just not seeing the bigger picture!

Nah I'm not enough of an optimist to think like that. Even when we won last week, I wasn't that ecstatic. All I kept thinking was that we only finished 4th and that we have no chance of making the GF let alone winning it because it's so easy to see.

• Like 1

Positives:

• Lots of goals scored
  • Mooy
  • Fornaroli
  • Finishing above Victory

Negatives:

• Lots of goals conceded
  • Easy wins thrown away
  • JvS
  • Never knowing which City team would show-up
  • Not winning anything after beating lots of A-League goal records
  • Knowing it will be another 2 seasons minimum before we will win anything. 
  • Like 1

A terribly disappointing season again and I look at it this way. 
2 years in a row we've failed to quality for the ACL at a minimum.. 
Never-mind the turnover of players during the off season, the in season turnover in both years has been outrageous and detrimental for the stability of the squad.
JVS took the piss out of this club and took us, the loyal supporters who are hungry for success and silverware, for a ride in a shameful performance in Perth in the Semi of the FFA Cup.  
I always hear mentality this mentality that, our mentality will change when we get a proven winner at the top who will stop for nothing until we succeed and demand the highest of standards from every department at our club. 
So in the wash up, its time for change and a major shake up at our club, Starting and not finishing with JVS.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kingofhearts said:

Seriously?

I understand what you are getting at, but I would rather watch Bruno and finish fourth than have to put up with the dour shit that the likes of Sydney and Wanderers dish up and finish second or third. If you don;t win it (and only one club can) at least we can say we had some good memories and a bit of excitement through the season. Doesn't make up for the disappointments, but it could be worse.... could be a lot better also of course... like JVS going....

Edited by dr lime
  • Like 2

Disaster of a season, score the most goals in a season while having the 2 best players in the league and still finish 4th. Didn't use the guest spot, didn't use the 2nd marquee spot after koren left and got weaker after the Jan window. 1st with 2 rounds to go and end up 4th (lucky not to be 5th)

Wasted a visa of Hughes, injury prone players franjic and Zullo gone when we really needed them. 

So the team set a new aleague goals scored record, a striker who smashed the total goals scored record with no penalites. Had a player who broke the assist record for the season. Yet we finish no better than last season and a manager who has never managed before wins the premiership and increasingly likely the double as well :hmm:

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 2