Melbourne Football

Sunday 7:00pm vs Perth Glory

kingofhearts

5 minutes ago, Jovan said:

That squad is amazing.  Especially nearly all are fully fit and in form. Perth will have be bloody good to beat us.

As usual, the only ones that will beat us will be ourselves. It all depends which team turns up. If it's the team that played Nix in Wellington then we'll get a well deserved shellacking, if its the team that beat Nix at AAMI then we will win.

• Like 1

Sorensen

Franjic Wilkinson Kisnorbo Garrucio

Malik

Fitzgerald  Zullo

Mooy

Novillo     Fornaroli

SUBS Bouzanis Chapman Caceras Melling Marino

Caceras & Chapman incredibly unlucky. Wouldn't be surprised to see Zullo back at LB and Caceras on the left of the diamond. If Malik doesn't come up I think Retre or Melling takes the DM spot. I'd personally prefer Retre although I think Melling will be favoured.

Melbourne City determined to chase win against Perth Glory

THE A-League’s best midfielder Aaron Mooy has implored his Melbourne City team to head west hellbent on a win.

League leaders City could finish as low as fifth, such is the closeness this season, and they travel to an in-form Perth Glory side who’ll be buoyed by a season record home crowd on Sunday.

Mooy, fresh from two stellar Socceroos performances that included a goal in the 5-1 win over Jordan on Tuesday, will return to City’s first XI.

“Guaranteed we go for the win, I feel like we need to win both games to finish top,’’ Mooy said.

“That’s the plan to win the remaining games. It’s positive to have a great goal difference, it’s like having another point if level with someone.

“We’ll just try and prepare as best as we can and do what the coach wants us to do and we’re confident we’ll win. It’s a good challenge.’’

Mooy, who is the Johnny Warren medal favourite, staked another claim for a regular berth in a talented Socceroos midfield with his top-notch range of passing coupled with a well-taken goal.

While Mooy conceded the 10-day Socceroos camp was taxing, he said Ange Postecoglou’s squad was in good spirits after completing a near flawless qualifying campaign.

“It’s always tough playing for the national team, demanding on the body with training. I’ve got a few days to recover and catch up on some sleep,’’ he said.

“Everyone was happy with the result, it was a very positive two weeks for the national team.’’

Club teammate Alex Wilkinson didn’t see any minutes, with Trent Sainsbury and Bailey Wright preferred, but he snuck in a session after the Jordan win to “top up”.

Like Wilkinson who’s steadied a leaky City defence, Glory got a shot in the arm from the mid-season return of Andy Keogh (nine goals in 12 games).

“He’s been in good form since returning but it’s not just him, Harold’s been scoring and (Diego) Castro (12 goals) has been instrumental,’’ Wilkinson said.

“They get a lot of good crosses into the box, he’s good in the air, he’s a very good penalty box finisher so it’s something we’ve got to be aware of. But we don’t want to concern ourselves with it too much, we’re more about how we want to play.’’

Connor Chapman performed well deputising for Wilkinson, giving coach John van’t Schip the option of returning to a three-man defence.

9 hours ago, Jozzy said:

This game worries me more than Adelaide do I think Perth have significantly strengthened their squad since January and it's never easy going over there. We must finish top and if we don't win this game I don't think we will. Monster game.

I agree with this. Have full confidence in beating Adelaide at AAMI. Worried about tomorrow.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dylan said:

if they have only left today for Perth we can kiss the game goodbye

There must be a reason why the don't fly earlier. Is it that they want to train on their "world class" training pitch as much as possible rather then a field in Perth? 

1 hour ago, haz said:

There must be a reason why the don't fly earlier. Is it that they want to train on their "world class" training pitch as much as possible rather then a field in Perth? 

I would think it's about that and also making the best use of the JG Rehab/Treatment Centre facilities and staff for the recovery of players such as Malik and Mooy before going west.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Alexxxandro said:

Really? A day early not enough? Serious question.

Yep. Given Perth's form and the change in weather. We were lethargic against both Brisbane and Perth away because they were hot and humid conditions.

its going to be 30 degrees in Perth tomorrow

42 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Yep. Given Perth's form and the change in weather. We were lethargic against both Brisbane and Perth away because they were hot and humid conditions.

its going to be 30 degrees in Perth tomorrow

Okay fair enough. 30 in Perth is tough. I just thought we usually went same day so a day early was an improvement.

We got delivered 200 don salami sticks at the pub yesterday. Giving them away to first 200 people into the pub tomorrow. Some cross promotion city have with Don. Will be some club representatives in I think. The promo posters of Kuzi we got given are fucking hilarious. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, perthheart said:

We got delivered 200 don salami sticks at the pub yesterday. Giving them away to first 200 people into the pub tomorrow. Some cross promotion city have with Don. Will be some club representatives in I think. The promo posters of Kuzi we got given are fucking hilarious. 

As long as you don't start playing hide the salami at full time. 

11 minutes ago, perthheart said:

You dont know if a room has been booked or anything like that do you?

we have comedy festival on the mid level all month so no rooms to book. The whole lower floor is practically all city most away games anyways so not much point booking a room anyways. Best bets to call the pub and book a table in the restaurant for the game if you want a reserved space. The bigger screens in the restaurant area behind the bar.

1 minute ago, perthheart said:

we have comedy festival on the mid level all month so no rooms to book. The whole lower floor is practically all city most away games anyways so not much point booking a room anyways. Best bets to call the pub and book a table in the restaurant for the game if you want a reserved space. The bigger screens in the restaurant area behind the bar.

Thanks mate

John van’t Schip anticipating City’s hard work will pay dividends in finals

Clement Tito

April 2, 2016

John van’t Schip believes his Melbourne City side will be an unbreakable unit ready for any finals challenges.

In strong contention for the Premiers’ Plate leading into the last two weeks of the campaign, things have been by no means easy for the A-League’s glamour club and their coach, who have come across in leaps and bounds since the first few weeks of the season.

“I’ve said from the start we saw the group was getting stronger, players getting fitter and coming back from injury,” said van’t Schip to the media yesterday.

“We have to look at ourselves, concentrate and be focused on what we’re doing and take it from there.

“We’re happy that we’re in this position, but again we have to approach the game, play and follow the game plan.”

Their opponents for the penultimate outing of the regular season in Perth Glory have evolved their squad after a tough early run themselves to charge into the A-League top six. On their home turf and brimming with confidence, van’t Schip can hardly take it easy as the finals approach.

“All have teams had trouble going up to Perth,” he claimed.

“This team is already different from last season and the one before, also different from the last game we played there.

“We just have to take it as the game comes, we’re preparing in the best possible way, it’s a final kind of game, it’s a game we need to win.”

City have also been able to further silence any doubts that surrounded their depth by cruising to victory over the Wellington Phoenix last weekend without the services of Alex Wilkinson and the talismanic Aaron Mooy.

“It’s a good sign to see, the players who came in, Connor [Chapman] and Anthony [Caceres], did a great job,” said van’t Schip

“We just continued what we left in the last game before Aaron and Alex left for the national team.”

Mooy’s star continues to rise after two stellar performances for the Socceroos, and many would expect the playmaker to be a pivotal figure in the finals series.

“Aaron continues to do what he’s doing, I think the main and most important thing is he doesn’t get bothered what happens around him,” said the City coach.

“The moment he steps onto the pitch, that’s his comfort zone, that’s where he knows he can express himself and that’s what he’s doing.”

Melbourne City take on the Glory at nib Stadium on Sunday evening.

http://outside90.com/john-vant-schip-anticipating-citys-hard-work-will-pay-dividends-in-finals322/

• jw1739 locked this topic
  • jw1739 unlocked this topic