Melbourne Football

EPL Broadcast coverage

raw10

11 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

So since Optus can fuck off, does anyone on here know anything about Bundesliga or Serie A? Need to pick a team to follow I guess

I chose Wolfsburg recently, a friend is from there and she is mental about them so figured may as well get into them next season and just stream Chelsea games.

Honestly even being out of contract on my phone I cant be fucked with this shit.

Meh, I don't even like the EPL, I just find it better to gamble on than the other big euro leagues, honestly I'm more tempted to sign up for Foxtel now that they have more leagues than when they had EPL.

FWIW, shit thing about Serie A is, especially since i'm an Inter supporter, the big games are always at like 4am. The majority of the games are at a reasonable time, just not the biggest games.

Though I suppose that applies to La Liga etc as well

Edited by Tesla

46 minutes ago, Tesla said:

Honestly even being out of contract on my phone I cant be fucked with this shit.

Meh, I don't even like the EPL, I just find it better to gamble on than the other big euro leagues, honestly I'm more tempted to sign up for Foxtel now that they have more leagues than when they had EPL.

FWIW, shit thing about Serie A is, especially since i'm an Inter supporter, the big games are always at like 4am. The majority of the games are at a reasonable time, just not the biggest games.

Though I suppose that applies to La Liga etc as well

Meh I'd take a 4-6am kick off over 2am any day

5 hours ago, GreenSeater said:

So since Optus can fuck off, does anyone on here know anything about Bundesliga or Serie A? Need to pick a team to follow I guess

Schalke, Leverkusen, Wolfsburg, Gladbach are all great teams to choose. They all play great football and have very talented young players, not to mention the great stadiums/support they all have.

Don't watch the league a lot but I follow the teams' updates, etc and watch them in UCL.

As for Serie A, I'm not too sure about how various teams like to play. But Roma, Napoli and either Inter and AC Milan would be good options as the latter two still haven't rebuilt well enough yet.

Yeah I'd be leaning towards following Bundesliga more than Serie A as I just like watching the big German teams like Dortmund and Bayern play more than I like watching the big Italian clubs. Have been following Schalke on twitter since they played Newcastle in a preseason friendly a few years ago so I might try following them tbh

Foxtel has announced a deal with six EPL clubs that will mean they can show the matches of Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, Manchester City and Tottenham 13 hours after they happen starting next season.
By 
SBS

6 MAY 2016 - 2:00 PM  UPDATED 1 HOUR AGO

Australian Football fans will be treated to be more content than ever on Australian TV with Foxtel announcing they will add the official club TV channels for Chelsea, Liverpool and United that will air 24 hours a day, seven days a week to their Sports package from July. It will also have additional programming from Arsenal's, Manchester City's and Tottenham's in-house channels. 

However the terms of the agreement means Foxtel will only be able to show the Premier League matches of those clubs 13 hours after they happen. So a match that kicks-off at midnight on Saturday night/Sunday morning (AEST) will be shown at 1pm the next day on Foxtel. 

SBS will show the pick of Saturday night's Premier League matches LIVE, FREE and in HD on all platforms, as well as the pick from midweek rounds with Optus showing the rest of the Premier League matches LIVE across various platforms. SBS will also show an EPL highlights show every week. 

gettyimages-527596800.jpg?itok=t9u_jMTJ&
EPL on SBS: LIVE, FREE and in HD - FAQs
All the information about SBS' coverage of the EPL starting from next season.

The move comes after Foxtel lost the EPL rights to Optus.

Foxtel has since done a deal with BeIn Sports - a global sports networked owned by the Qatari Royal family - that will mean BeIn will have three HD channels on Foxtel that will show Champions League, Europa League, La Liga, Bundesliga and Serie A among other leagues. 

BeIn and the three club channels will come as no additional cost to Foxtel subscribers with the Sport package, which will now have 15 sports channels, who have to pay a minimum of $737 a year or $61.41 across 12 months including instillation. 

Optus's cheapest EPL option breaks down to $55 a month. For which you get a mobile phone with 500MB of data - Optus have said EPL content will not be metered and therefore will not consume your data. 

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2016/05/06/foxtel-show-epl-matches-13-hour-delay

On 5 May 2016 at 8:55 AM, GreenSeater said:

My German mate has made me swear to follow Eintracht Frankfurt. Luckily supporting city has prepared me well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So the new plans never came out on the date they said which was last Monday, appartly they were delayed. 

But finally had time to sort out a new phone contract and ended up going on the $100 plan at optus, which means I will have EPL included (apparently). 

It didn't really affect my decision too much tbh but it was one of a number of reasons I chose Optus over competitors and a higher plan then I was initially looking it so I suppose they did get me with it.

I wouldn't have paid $15 a month but I probably value it at $5-10 a month and with that value this was the plan that seemed best both from the competition and other optus plans. 

Point I'm trying to make is I don't put too much value on EPL coverage since I like other leagues too and anyway EPL is easiest to illegally stream, but it was still enough of a plus to get me to choose optus and to pay the more than I would have (was looking at 80$ plan initially). Given others would value it more than me, I think this is really well played by Optus tbh.

This is probably the most notable case so far of bundling data and content but I think it's something we need to get used to as it's the way the market is going to go. Eg you already have music streaming services being bundled in to phone plans, telstra have a shitty foxtel option, now this epl bundling with optus, etc

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, GreenSeater said:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/optus-has-been-forced-to-change-epl-pricing-following-outrage-over-initial-charges/news-story/bc91c8a1c5531011234663212c94e129

Slightly better but still a shit deal. Actually glad Newcastle got relegated so I can watch the Championship on Bein :up:

With you. They can get stuffed. I'll just watch whatever Bein covers.

You want more phone customers provide a better phone service.

• 2 months later...

Watched on my phone earlier, didnt have sound on so dunno about commentary etc but I found the app to be way better than the foxtel app. I was in mobile data and probably not in the best coverage area but had very good quality stream with no issues. So far so good, lets see if the PC version delivers.

EDIT; website is great too, way better than buggy foxtel PC app. Don't even need to dl an app on PC for this.

Edited by Tesla

2 hours ago, Tesla said:

Watched on my phone earlier, didnt have sound on so dunno about commentary etc but I found the app to be way better than the foxtel app. I was in mobile data and probably not in the best coverage area but had very good quality stream with no issues. So far so good, lets see if the PC version delivers.

EDIT; website is great too, way better than buggy foxtel PC app. Don't even need to dl an app on PC for this.

Except that the matches were a minute delayed...

They said they'll try to fix it. They better.

8 minutes ago, hakz7 said:

Except that the matches were a minute delayed...

They said they'll try to fix it. They better.

Foxtel was always delayed as fuck too, it was why I quit it because if I was chatting to someone about the game while watching it, they'd be watching on an illegal stream and be ahead of me watching legit on Foxtel.

The picture in picture thing on the site is excellent,  bit shit that the quality sucks when you first switch to one of the picture in picture streams but I think that's the cost of the switching being instantaneous rather than taking a second.

I really don't think we can complain with that for a first up effort, I expected much worse.

11 hours ago, Tesla said:

Foxtel was always delayed as fuck too, it was why I quit it because if I was chatting to someone about the game while watching it, they'd be watching on an illegal stream and be ahead of me watching legit on Foxtel.

The picture in picture thing on the site is excellent,  bit shit that the quality sucks when you first switch to one of the picture in picture streams but I think that's the cost of the switching being instantaneous rather than taking a second.

I really don't think we can complain with that for a first up effort, I expected much worse.

Foxtel Go was only about 20 seconds delayed.