Melbourne Football

28/3/16 Melbourne City F.c vs Wellington Phoenix F.c

Thiem

That was amazing. Good crowd, good atmosphere, couple of lovely goals and a very professional display by the boys.

In truth Wellington rarely threatened and the score reflected the game.

The only bad news is Malik went Straight down the race.

In short "We're top of the league, we're  top of the league, Melbourne City, we're top of the league"!!!!!!!

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, mulhollanddrive said:

Defense wins championships, took 4 months to realise it, but finally keeping clean sheets.

The change happened when we dropped that utter bullshit 3 5 2 formation, where we now we see a defensive balance.

With Malik and Wilko in defense, Fitzy giving quality pace and Caceres adding midfield quality, and all playing the most tested and proven formation.

All that equals silverware. We will dominate the A league for the next 2 years. 

Number one Melbourne team and watch the crowds come rolling in.

Good years ahead.

BTW we will smash Perth next week.

Edited by playmaker

20 minutes ago, playmaker said:

BTW we will smash Perth next week.

Hmm i hope so.

We didn't set the world on fire tonight but still showed me had enough their without mooy.

It'll be important to see how malik comes up- he's nearly become as important as wilkinson defensively, we need him in the squad to contain keogh and co.

Edited by kingofhearts

I've just realised, if both us and Brisbane win next week, then we win against Adelaide in the last round, we won't be able to lift the Premiers' Plate immediately after the match. As Brisbane will technically/mathematically not be ruled out of the title.

So what happens then? No proper trophy celebration?

3 minutes ago, hakz7 said:

I've just realised, if both us and Brisbane win next week, then we win against Adelaide in the last round, we won't be able to lift the Premiers' Plate immediately after the match. As Brisbane will technically/mathematically not be ruled out of the title.

Sit at Aami Park with the players, watch it unfold there ;) (make it happen)

11 minutes ago, hakz7 said:

Exactly what I've been thinking, shame the fuck heads in charge didn't schedule all the games to be played at the same time on the last round of the season...

• Like 1

Hard to judge our performance in absolute terms as Wellington offered very little tonight and had few genuine chances however you can only play the other team on the park and we played well. Next game will be the serious test of our mettle.

Positives:

We are a team high in confidence at the right end of the season, a team that backs itself, a team where everyone knows their role - its good to see.

Only 2 of the holy trinity playing tonight, we can show that the 'no Mooy, no City' tag doesn't always apply although Caceras is no Mooy or we may have scored a cricket score.

I'm happy to admit that I was wrong about Fitzgerald, I hope that he stays next season and he and Gamiero pressure each other to keep improving

Zullo and Franjic are finally starting to justify their signings, again at the right end of the season

Malik makes a huge difference himself and also to the effectiveness of our CBs.

The only happy Wellington player tonight was Manny Muscat.

Top of the League but that position really only matters in 2 weeks

3 League records broken tonight: most goals scored by a team in the regular season, most goals by the Golden Boot and first team to have 3 players score >10 goals each in the same season (as Murf just pointed out).

Negatives:

Malik appears to have been injured

Disappointing crowd, mainly because so many people are missing out on seeing something exceptional

Wonderwall chant, shit song anyway

3 hours ago, Dylan said:

Fornaroli stIll hassnt scored from a pen :up:

Didn't he score his first goal from a pen in a FFA cup game?

2 hours ago, Falastur said:

Here's a stat. That's as many clean sheets in our last four competitive games as we managed in the previous 26...

Well at least we're getting it right at the right part of the season.

26 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Hard to judge our performance in absolute terms as Wellington offered very little tonight and had few genuine chances however you can only play the other team on the park and we played well. Next game will be the serious test of our mettle.

Positives:

We are a team high in confidence at the right end of the season, a team that backs itself, a team where everyone knows their role - its good to see.

Only 2 of the holy trinity playing tonight, we can show that the 'no Mooy, no City' tag doesn't always apply although Caceras is no Mooy or we may have scored a cricket score.

I'm happy to admit that I was wrong about Fitzgerald, I hope that he stays next season and he and Gamiero pressure each other to keep improving

Zullo and Franjic are finally starting to justify their signings, again at the right end of the season

Malik makes a huge difference himself and also to the effectiveness of our CBs.

The only happy Wellington player tonight was Manny Muscat.

Top of the League but that position really only matters in 2 weeks

3 League records broken tonight: most goals scored by a team in the regular season, most goals by the Golden Boot and first team to have 3 players score >10 goals each in the same season (as Murf just pointed out).

Negatives:

Malik appears to have been injured

Disappointing crowd, mainly because so many people are missing out on seeing something exceptional

Wonderwall chant, shit song anyway

Caceres is a completely different player to Mooy Bela. He played very well tonight and you could see he is a quality player.

If Mooy does move on, I think Caceres can take up his mantle and in time become a very good player for us.

48 minutes ago, hakz7 said:

Given Brisbane have to score 14 goals + however many we score in the next two games, and concede no goals of their own, I think if we win the next two we can lift the premier's plate on the day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kinnibari said:

Given Brisbane have to score 14 goals + however many we score in the next two games, and concede no goals of their own, I think if we win the next two we can lift the premier's plate on the day.

Yeah but they can't officially crown us as the premiers which is what I was pointing out.

9 hours ago, hakz7 said:

How about a presentation at Fed square followed by a parade down Swanston Street?

1 hour ago, Deviant said:

Good all round team performance. It's what i've been pushing for a while. 

yeah Mooy is a good player, but he takes away from the overall team performance. This game proved my point.

Good with Mooy, Equally good without him. 

This is crazy for mine.

Ernie Merrick was one of the main reasons I couldn't support Victory. A bitter sad man

http://www.a-league.com.au/article/ernie-merrick-melbourne-victory-better-team-than-melbourne-city/kll93oc24ym11sah5lrghpko9
Monday, 28 March 2016 -

Aidan Ormond @AidotheFFAEd

Wellington Phoenix coach Ernie Merrick believes Melbourne Victory are a better team than Melbourne City going into the Hyundai A-League Finals Series.

City eased past Merrick’s Phoenix 3-0 on Easter Monday to move equal top with Roar.

And Victory in sixth all but assured their finals campaign with a 2-0 win over Wanderers on Good Friday to move six points clear of Sydney FC in seventh, in what is shaping as one of the most open Finals Series in competition history.

Speaking after the City game, Merrick handed John van’ t Schip’s side a backhander by saying their bitter cross-town rivals are more of a danger at the business end of the season.

“Anyone in the top six could win it,” Merrick told reporters. 

“[But] I still think Victory has a better squad and a better team.

“It’s just my experience of knowing what Victory can do under the pump and under pressure.

“But it’s good to see Brisbane Roar and Wanderers challenging as well and Perth Glory are just having a great run.”

As for the City loss, Merrick said midfielder Vince Lia was his best player but bemoaned his side’s inability to get a toehold on the game.

“It got to a stage where we were virtually defending most of the first half and we couldn’t get a hold of the ball.

“So we fixed that at half time and we got a lot more play in the midfield in the first 15-25 minutes of the second half and we looked like we could create something."

Merrick added the second half penalty "killed" their chances of a comeback when Zullo went down in the box and Fornaroli converted for 2-0.

"And we never really threatened the goal. I don't think Sorensen had a save to make in the second half or even the first half."

In injury news, Ben Sigmund left the pitch early in the first half with Merrick saying the defender will have tests in the next few days.

7 hours ago, hakz7 said:

Yeah but they can't officially crown us as the premiers which is what I was pointing out.

If we still have a substantially better goal difference and win both our next two games I think they'll give it to us on the night, even if theoretically the Roar could score 7 the next day and take it out. If they wait, it's a logistical headache to arrange the presentation later, they'll skip that if they can.

20 minutes ago, mjake1234 said:

How about a presentation at Fed square followed by a parade down Swanston Street?

That would also be awesome, although the fed square part is more likely than the parade part.

10 hours ago, hakz7 said:

Many ifs there but should that happen (as disappointing as it would be not to celebrate round 27) we will have a home game two weeks later in the semis.

Imagine how the league presentation will lift the crowd pregame too!!!!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

Many ifs there but should that happen (as disappointing as it would be not to celebrate round 27) we will have a home game two weeks later in the semis.

Imagine how the league presentation will lift the crowd pregame too!!!!

Unless we have to play MV. FFA have intimated that such a match will likely be played at Docklands, even if we are the "home" team.

9 hours ago, hakz7 said:

It's a definite consideration, but cross that bridge if/when we get to it, I suppose. I'm sure everyone will celebrate as though we've won it, even if it's not officially confirmed until the end of the round. I know I would.

All I can say is that regardless of the destructive opinions of some, like Merrick and other victard fanboys, and the lack of confidence of supporters due to previous Heart disappointment is we need to call it as it is.

We are the best in form team of the competion and not by accident, as we have 5 of the best players in the comp, we have tactical and structural balance and solidity, and we have the players and management that are hungry for success right now.

This game was exactly what we needed as we played a low performing club that has a shaken a few top teams, including us, but instead of all the fragile mindsets that has plagued us previously, we smashed them out of the park and they really should have been on a plane back to their pathetic shithole of a ground at half time. That's exactly what u expect from a quality side hungry for silverware.

Summary of the game is simple, we got the job done, we conceded nothing, we dominated the play and we squashed the opposition into the pitch.

As for Merrick, he should concentrate on his own team and realise the that his delusion of grandeur from his days at the victard was as result of the resources and monopoly they had in this town, as even a donkey could have managed that side to success, and as soon as the A league environment changed he was a dead man walking at that club. His comments were just to deflect the real issues with his club being so crap and mismanaged and underperforming.

I really can't find a weakness in our team at the moment and what's more frightening is we have depth and versatility.

We will smash Perth next week and can't wait for a real test against Adelaide.

The rest are just comedy relief.

Edited by playmaker
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Deeming said:

Ernie Merrick was one of the main reasons I couldn't support Victory. A bitter sad man

Wellington plays Victory this week. Standard tactics of a coach of a shit team to butter up the upcoming opposition. Yeah, he didn't have to go to those lengths, but nothing to see here, as far as I'm concerned.

57 minutes ago, playmaker said:

As for Merrick, he should concentrate on his own team and realise the that his delusion of grandeur from his days at the victard was as result of the resources and monopoly they had in this town, as even a donkey could have managed that side to success, .

A donkey did manage them to success. Now they've replaced the donkey with an Orc

• Like 3

1 hour ago, perthheart said:

We will smash a team that we've only beaten once at their ground in something like 10 attempts and are undefeated in 9? 

Yes.

well maybe not smash, but beat, definitely.

People are saying, " teams won't want to play Perth". Teams won't want to play us!