Melbourne Football

28/3/16 Melbourne City F.c vs Wellington Phoenix F.c

Thiem

4 hours ago, japiedog said:

I always barrack for the visitors         --------------- Let's look at the definition of the word

Definition of barrack

chiefly British

1. transitive verb
  2. :  to shout at derisively or sarcastically

Last night I actually wanted them to win

Yes I did... and I didn't... and I did...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alexxxandro said:

Or Adelaide win all three.

oops... as soon as I posted that.

No, If we get 7 points, it means we draw or win over Adelaide. Since that max point for Adelaide is also 7, Roar is our only concern if we only have 7 from last three

Melbourne City beating Wellington will put club in pole position for the premier’s plate

MATT WINDLEY

26 March 2016

MELBOURNE City will lead the A-League for the first time ever if it beats Wellington tomorrow night.

And while that lofty goal is at the forefront of Connor Chapman’s mind, the central defender also has some significant personal motivation for the Phoenix clash at AAMI Park.

City was second going in to the weekend, but Western Sydney’s loss to Melbourne Victory opened the door for it to climb to the summit.

The club was also second after rounds 12 and 13 of the 2011-12 season, but has never finished a round in first.

Five other teams have spent time on top this season: Victory, the Wanderers, Brisbane, Adelaide and Sydney FC.

But with two rounds to go — games against Perth at nib Stadium and Adelaide at AAMI Park remain — a win tomorrow night would put City in pole position for the premier’s plate.

“It’s a very important game for us,” Chapman said.

“As a club we want to win and that was our aim at the start of the season.

“Last year we took a big step in improving and this year I think we’ve taken the next step.

“If we can get a few good results in the last three games then hopefully we can get the premiership and that Asian Champions League spot.”

With Alex Wilkinson (Socceroos) unavailable, Chapman is set to return to the starting line-up for the first time since suffering a knee injury in Newcastle on December 13.

Now that he’s back, the 21-year-old is intent on at least putting his case forward for re-inclusion in a defence that has looked increasingly settled since Wilkinson’s February arrival.

“I’ve worked really hard and these last few weeks I’ve just had to bide my time on the bench,” Chapman said.

“At the end of the day if the team is doing well then that’s all I really care about.

“But hopefully this week I can come back in and make a statement and then the last few weeks there will be good competition for spots — not only in my position but all over the field.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league/teams/melbourne-city/melbourne-city-beating-wellington-will-put-club-in-pole-position-for-the-premiers-plate/news-story/6de358cc569bd54051233e7d1019dd54

1 hour ago, alexli said:

No, If we get 7 points, it means we draw or win over Adelaide. Since that max point for Adelaide is also 7, Roar is our only concern if we only have 7 from last three

Yep I realised as soon as I posted... hence the "oops".

Just have to say 7 points from our last 3 games would be a huge achievement. I'd be really impressed with six.

The club's organised a tribute for Cruyff:

John van 't Schip wary of freewheeling Wellington Phoenix as finals start now for Melbourne City

March 27, 2016

Michael Lynch

Teams with nothing to play for can often cause title-chasing sides the most trouble – a point not lost on Melbourne City coach John van 't Schip as he prepares his team to face out-of-contention Wellington Phoenix at AAMI Park on Monday night.

City will be without Socceroos Aaron Mooy and Alex Wilkinson, both with the national team for the World Cup qualifier against Jordan in Sydney 24 hours later, with Connor Chapman and Anthony Caceres ready to slot into their roles in midfield and defence.

Van 't Schip's team can go to the top of the A-League table if they beat the Phoenix in this game. But the coach is wary that the Kiwis, who cannot make the finals, might approach this game with a freewheeling mentality that makes them dangerous opponents for a team that cannot afford to slip up.

The last time City lost was four games ago, when they went down 2-1 to the Phoenix in Wellington on windy night in the NZ capital.

That defeat prompted plenty of soul searching within the City ranks as critics suggested that after a good run they had reverted back to their old inconsistent ways.

The players responded by winning their next three games and van 't Schip knows that this match is essentially the first game of an extended finals series as clubs at the top of the table battle for the Premiers Plate and home-ground finals advantage that comes with finishing high up the ladder.

"Teams that are not playing for anything can play freely, and normally get results that they maybe wouldn't get," he said on Sunday.

"Before we won three games in a row, we lost in Wellington. They have good-quality players and now they have two strikers (Hamish Watson and Blake Powell) who they didn't have when we played them before.

"We all knew after that that we had to bounce back.. We are heading somewhere, that's still happening. We have made some big steps this year but the biggest steps have still to be made. We have to be prepared to bring in discipline and game focus and the structure we are working on."

Chapman has been on the bench in recent weeks after recovering from a knee ligament injury that kept him out for several months. He has not started since mid December, but looks set to partner Paddy Kisnorbo on Monday.

Caceres, who got on the scoresheet for the first time in his City career in the 3-1 win over Brisbane last time out, will move further forward in midfield and slot into the spot vacated by Mooy – a role he is likely to occupy on a more permanent basis next season should the Socceroo midfielder move overseas, as has been tipped.

"Wilkinson and Mooy have a big impact in the team but we know that. We won't make any excuse about that. With Connor Chapman and Anthony Caceres we have two players who are capable of doing the same kind of thing.

"Every game now is a final, already it's an extended play-offs. We don't have to put more pressure on ourselves, we just have to stick with our game plan and do what we have to do. In this league where the gaps are not that big and you only have 10 teams results can change very quickly.

"We said several weeks ago that it would be round 27, who is in the best momentum at that time. We have to make sure we can make that effort to be there at round 27."

Van 't Schip has played a relatively settled team in the past few weeks but he knows that there will be unforseen circumstances, which mean that fringe players will inevitably be needed over the next month.

"There will be opportunities [for players who are not starting now]. History always shows that there are injuries, cards, everybody has to be prepared and ready to be stepping in at the moment they are asked for. "

He recalls an episode from his own career to make the point, when an Ajax Amsterdam team featuring a young van 't Schip alongside Marco van Basten played Lokomotiv Leipzig in the European Cup Winners Cup Final in Athens in 1987.

"One day before the game Danny Blind [a regular defender all season] got injured, Johan Cruyff put in Frank Verlaat, who had never played in the starting line-up. He made his debut in a European Cup final. That's what can happen ... the boys know [they might be needed].

Van 't Schip was very close to the Dutch football legend Cruyff, who died from cancer last week and

paid tribute to the former Ajax and Barcelona star who had a major impact on his life and career.

As a young man van 't Schip played alongside Cruyff, who was at the end of his career, and was subsequently coached by the man credited with sparking a revolution in the way the game was played in the 1970s.

"You can't imagine that he's not there any more. He's been a big part of my life as well as my football life.

"He is one of the figures that not only formed me, but all the players that he has coached and played with.

"We all take that legacy from him."

Melbourne City will pay tribute to Cruyff during tomorrow's match. Fans at AAMI Park will be encouraged to stand and applaud his contribution in the 14th minute of the game, marking the famous shirt number he wore throughout his career.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/john-van-t-schip-wary-of-freewheeling-wellington-phoenix-as-finals-start-now-for-melbourne-city-20160327-gnrrao.html

Good memories of the last time we played Wellington at AAMI:

I reckon this match is set up for Novillo to make an impact, maybe even get a goal, and finish the season strongly.

If the team can start strongly and get the first goal, things should be pretty straightforward, even with new starters Chapman and Caceres (who I expect will slot seamlessly into the team).

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, possiblygeorge said:

Won't be attending this one unfortunately. Does anyone know a site that has a quality HD, or just as good, stream for A-League Football?

I'm trying to figure out if

http://www.aleague.livesport.tv/

is any good/trustworthy?

oops not available in australia

Edited by Alexxxandro

3 minutes ago, Alexxxandro said:

I'm trying to figure out if

https://secure.aleague.livesport.tv/buy

is any good/trustworthy?

Nah f**k that. Download Kodi and install the Mbox HDTV addon. You have to pay i think it's $48 a month (non-direct debit) and you get over 200 channels. Bt Sport, Sky Sport, you name it. Everything but Australian cable tv, but BT Sport show A-League & AFL. All channels in SD as well as 720P, you have the option.

I haven't had a chance to renew it for a couple of months now so i'm looking for a stream which is just as good.

EDIT: I suppose it doesn't look too bad actually if you're only after the A-League 

2 minutes ago, rayv36 said:

http://www.rojadirecta.me/

Try that closer to kick off, usually has a few stream options. Lots of pop up ads though 

I normally use that with Kodi but sometimes it's a bit unreliable in terms of quality, but i'll give it a crack

Edited by possiblygeorge