Melbourne Football

28/3/16 Melbourne City F.c vs Wellington Phoenix F.c

Thiem

27 minutes ago, raw10 said:

I reckon caceres and chapman can slot in those roles... can't drop points from now on..

Agreed. In the starting line-up we will see Caceres come in for Mooy, and Chapman for Wilkinson. We also have Clisby and Hughes available for the defence, and Melling, Trifiro and Retre for the midfield - bench selection and management for this one could be crucial.
We're guaranteed a place in the six (none of Sydney, Newcastle, Wellington or CCM can catch us) but we need the points to give us as high a place as possible. 
The boys were very calm and composed against Brisbane, even when we went behind, so if we keep that same attitude IMO we can do it.

So glad this is at home because while losing Mooy is obviously a big enough deal, I'm desperately worried about losing Wilkinson as I'm adamant his influence at the back has been the main reason we've improved so much. 

Caceres finally had a breakout game (off the bench albeit) and amazing header aside, he seemed really confident spraying the ball around everywhere and was full of energy without being over the top, so I'm confident he can take on the Mooy role. 

I'm nervous as fuck though, we've beaten a finals rival and 1st place twice over the past 3 weeks which leads me to believe this game against lowly Wellington at home is exactly the type of game we may well fuck up. If we're going to win the whole damn thing this year, 3 points is the minimum. 

37 minutes ago, Nate said:

So glad this is at home because while losing Mooy is obviously a big enough deal, I'm desperately worried about losing Wilkinson as I'm adamant his influence at the back has been the main reason we've improved so much. 

Caceres finally had a breakout game (off the bench albeit) and amazing header aside, he seemed really confident spraying the ball around everywhere and was full of energy without being over the top, so I'm confident he can take on the Mooy role. 

I'm nervous as fuck though, we've beaten a finals rival and 1st place twice over the past 3 weeks which leads me to believe this game against lowly Wellington at home is exactly the type of game we may well fuck up. If we're going to win the whole damn thing this year, 3 points is the minimum. 

we already fucked it up when we play them not too long ago in wellington, where we could have been in a better position. Now we have to win plus relying on others to drop points in their respective matches. Agree, we need Wilko more than people realized. That's why I always thought Ange is trying to sabotage us. City should use all their resources to ensure these players come back unscathed. No injuries while on training or during Socceroos match guys. Look after yourself! 

Edited by raw10
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Dumb question but are ACL qual spots now premiers and champions get direct qualification and FFA cup gets a playoff and  if a team wins the double then the other direct spot goes to second place? Or is it the other grand finalist? 

IIRC the FFA cup doesn't get squat when it comes to the ACL.  Who wins the grand final and who wins the league gets directly into the ACL. If they are one and the same, the grand final loser gets direct ACL entry.

The qualifier spot then goes to the next best on the league ladder.

Ie if the league winner does the double and beats the third placed ladder team in the grand final then those two go through directly and the second placed ladder team gets chance to playoff

38 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Dumb question but are ACL qual spots now premiers and champions get direct qualification and FFA cup gets a playoff and  if a team wins the double then the other direct spot goes to second place? Or is it the other grand finalist? 

1st gets acl, 2nd gets a play off and grand final winner gets 1, but if either 1 or 2 wins the grand final i guess 3rd would get the play off spot like adelaide did this season

13 hours ago, Shahanga said:

This.

Australia have a must win game against Jordan. If Ange doesn't pick our best squad he needs to be deported. Wilkinson is in our best XI when Spiro is out and MUST be selected.

Blame the FFA for not having international dates.

Quite the conundrum. If Wilkinson was in mediocre form, we wouldn't give a stuff if he was called up for international duties. But he wouldn't be called up, if he was in mediocre form now, would he?

Such a massive game. Almost seems redundant to mention the obvious banana skin potential of this one. If we win, we go into Perth full of confidence, knowing that a win would be great, but might not be an absolute necessity. I'd love to have one of those games where we score within five minutes and put the game beyond doubt within 20. We're better than them, we have everything to play for and they have nothing and we're at home. Put it to bed early and they'll lose interest. Let them hang around and it will become a slog.

I'm slowly coming to the belief that this team has progressed mentally enough to realistically being able to finish top 2.

The last few weeks have been immense. Getting convincing results against top teams. Coming from behind and winning away. That alone we have never been able to do on a consistent basis.

Mooy and Wilkinson out are big losses. But I actually feel Chapman and Caceras are good enough to fill the void.

Our home form is also impressive and most of the calls from the sidelines in team set up and changes during the game have been good.

A win for me.

• Like 3

Should have kept our third clean sheet in a row, I can't remember Brisbane troubling us, besides that goal, which took an error from Sorensen in the lead-up and an absolute screamer for them to score.

Bounce back game from Sorensen required. I don't want us going down 0-1.

37 minutes ago, SF33 said:

Should have kept our third clean sheet in a row, I can't remember Brisbane troubling us, besides that goal, which took an error from Sorensen in the lead-up and an absolute screamer for them to score.

Bounce back game from Sorensen required. I don't want us going down 0-1.

That goal was world class. Okay maybe the corner was avoidable but that strike was unstoppable. We played the top team that so far this season we haven't beaten and we smashed them. A clean sheet would have been nice. 

10 minutes ago, Jovan said:

That goal was world class. Okay maybe the corner was avoidable but that strike was unstoppable. We played the top team that so far this season we haven't beaten and we smashed them. A clean sheet would have been nice. 

Yep, definitely referring to the corner. Sorensen was a bit fumbly all night.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

And remember, they had just smashed Victory 5-0. That made the win so much sweeter.

Let me put it this way, my money won't be on us in this game.

Not to say we're not the more likely team to win, but we aren't as likely as everyone is going to think.

Definitely could be a dangerous game for us, but we could also end up smashing them by 3-4 goals.

We should carve their defence up, but who knows how our attack will go without Mooy. Will also be a test for our defence, has it really improved? Wellington have shown they can score goals and scored 2 in the first 15 minutes last tiem we played. It does seem that Wilkinson has been a key factor in our defence improving, so he may also be a crucial out.

Definitely an interesting game.

Edited by Tesla

Everyone just assuming it's Chapman for Wilkinson?

I imagine (well I hope) Clisby and Hughes are training the house down looking for their chance, but really whilst neither would be a disaster (that is if Hughes isn't too sore to play 90 minutes) it's hard to see either getting in ahead of Chappy. Good balance of youth and experience, guile and pace.

16 minutes ago, recyclosaurusrex said:

If we win and Brisbane win we will still be top assuming WSW don't win. Brisbane aren't going to make up 12 goals difference in 1 game.

That's right.. but that means we are on equal points with roar, plus I like to see Victree eventually get knock off from top 6 and miss out on Final Series :tooth:

15 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

This is just the game that Heart or City of old would lose. Now I'm not so sure. As usual it depends which City shows up on the day

I think with our new reinforced defense and example of slacking from the last game we played against Phoenix our boys will understand not to put in a shit performance this game. We've learnt enough, I reckon.