Melbourne Football

Smartphone discussion

perthheart

The G4 should be compared to the 6P not the 5X. 5X is a different class of phone, it's competing with $200 Chinese android phones not with the G4 or S6. (Ironically though the 6p is the Chinese phone and the 5X is made by LG so dunno what's going on there).

tesla do u sleep? whats ur day job?

• Replies 781
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tesla do u sleep? whats ur day job?

I work at a university as a janitor even though I feel like I'm smarter than most of the people who go there. Sometimes I see an equation written on a blackboard like half an equation and... I just figure it out.

• Like 2

LG G4 arrived. Good looking phone (I have leather brown, all other versions are inferior). Nice size and feels pretty light. Will have a play with it later.

New smartphone every 6 months crew checking in.

if your update does arrive over the air, plug it into the pc. Update vis lg's software. 

• 2 weeks later...

Furthermore:

LG Electronics Australia have announced this morning that the Android 6.0 Marshmallow update will be here in Australia for LG G4 users from mid November. While users overseas can expect to receive their updates starting next week, Australia has to wait a little longer, and this is no doubt due (in part) to the various carrier approval processes that are required here.

• Like 1

Nexus 5X looks pretty good. Similar guts to the g4 but a lower res screen which should aid performance. Stock android will fly along + it'll launch with 6.0 (marshmallow) as its o.s. If history is any guide it should be quite affordable also.

Max 32gb storage will probably be a deal breaker for a lot of people though

https://www.google.com/intl/en_au/nexus/5x/

Apparently the battery life and sound quality of the 5X is poor. It's becoming a common theme with Nexus phones. Disappointing.

• 3 months later...
40 minutes ago, hedaik said:

Anybody know the best place to sell my Z3 with a cracked screen? Went to 5 shops in the city today and none were interested. 

@Deviant?

Gumtree?

I got a good price for my s5 with a cracked screen from someone actually wanting to use it, but there are a lot of people also just wanting to buy it to fix the screen and sell it for a profit. They don't seem to value their time much so you can probably sell it for not a lot less than the market price for a 2nd hand z3 minus whatever the wholesale price is of the cheapest/shittest screen is. Just negotiate whatever low ball offer they make you.

One guy got mad at me and hung up the phone. And then calls back 2 mins later saying he wants to come over right away to get it but I was busy so he got made again. People desperate to make a few bucks profit fixing that screen and reselling it ffs :droy: 

Edited by Tesla

3 minutes ago, Tesla said:

Gumtree?

I got a good price for my s5 with a cracked screen from someone actually wanting to use it, but there are a lot of people also just wanting to buy it to fix the screen and sell it for a profit. They don't seem to value their time much so you can probably sell it for not a lot less than the market price for a 2nd hand z3 minus whatever the wholesale price is of the cheapest/shittest screen is. Just negotiate whatever low ball offer they make you.

One guy got mad at me and hung up the phone. And then calls back 2 mins later saying he wants to come over right away to get it but I was busy so he got made again. People desperate to make a few bucks profit fixing that screen and reselling it ffs :droy: 

Yeah that was my last option. Think Id prefer to lose $50 by going into a phone shop not having to deal with derros. 

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Had my S7 Edge for about a week now. This is what dreams are made of.

What phone did you have beforehand? 

Almost bought the Nexus 6P yesterday but a bit unsure about the size. Currently using a Note 2 and would prefer something smaller. Sony Z3 was the perfect size for me I think.

Edited by hedaik

4 minutes ago, hedaik said:

What phone did you have beforehand? 

Almost bought the Nexus 6P yesterday but a bit unsure about the size. Currently using a Note 2 and would prefer something smaller. Sony Z3 was the perfect size for me I think.

Samsung S3 for about four years haha.

• 4 weeks later...

4G coming to ALDImobile

...and with it, comes new deals.

* From 28th April, all plans will offer 4G coverage
* Existing customers will be migrated to 4G by 28th April
* No extra charge for 4G coverage
* More value, no increase in price
* S and M Value packs will come with increased included value and data
* S and M Value Packs will have unlimited SMS and MMS
* XL and XXL Value Packs are getting increased international minutes

Plans

S $15/month = Up to 250 minutes, unlimited SMS/MMS, 500 MB data, on Telstra 4G
M $20/month = Up to 750 minutes, unlimited SMS/MMS, 1.5GB data, on Telstra 4G
L $25/month = Unlimited standard calls, unlimited SMS/MMS, 2GB data, on Telstra 4G
XL $35/month = Unlimited standard calls & 200 min international, unlimited SMS/MMS, 5GB data, on Telstra 4G
XXL $45/month = Unlimited standard calls & 300 min international, unlimited SMS/MMS, 7GB data, on Telstra 4G

Pretty good deals.

4 hours ago, Deviant said:

4G coming to ALDImobile

...and with it, comes new deals.

* From 28th April, all plans will offer 4G coverage
* Existing customers will be migrated to 4G by 28th April
* No extra charge for 4G coverage
* More value, no increase in price
* S and M Value packs will come with increased included value and data
* S and M Value Packs will have unlimited SMS and MMS
* XL and XXL Value Packs are getting increased international minutes

Plans

S $15/month = Up to 250 minutes, unlimited SMS/MMS, 500 MB data, on Telstra 4G
M $20/month = Up to 750 minutes, unlimited SMS/MMS, 1.5GB data, on Telstra 4G
L $25/month = Unlimited standard calls, unlimited SMS/MMS, 2GB data, on Telstra 4G
XL $35/month = Unlimited standard calls & 200 min international, unlimited SMS/MMS, 5GB data, on Telstra 4G
XXL $45/month = Unlimited standard calls & 300 min international, unlimited SMS/MMS, 7GB data, on Telstra 4G

Pretty good deals.

Haven't looked into this but given Telstra never wholesale their best mobile internet product this would be the most basic 4g and not the faster 4gx. Probably slightly less coverage as well. 

It's still a pretty good deal though and probably still better than optus or Vodafone 4g.

2 hours ago, Tesla said:

Haven't looked into this but given Telstra never wholesale their best mobile internet product this would be the most basic 4g and not the faster 4gx. Probably slightly less coverage as well. 

It's still a pretty good deal though and probably still better than optus or Vodafone 4g.

In terms of coverage and speeds.

You'll still get good speeds because the 4GX network will be full most times and coverage will be good too because 'slightly less' would still cover you for your day to day travels.

I was happy enough with 3G on Boost. I don't really see the big deal about a webpage downloading in 0.4 seconds or 0.8 seconds, and its not enough Australian mobile providers give you enough data to worry about downloading large files. Will be moving to Aldi once my contract runs out with Virgin.

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, rayv36 said:

More so an app and device, but the new google chromecast is pretty sweet

I use it often, both at home and work. 

When i upgrade my router, I'll also upgrade the chromecast (using 1st gen currently).

Might wait for gen 3 to come out, however, before upgrading. 

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Begbie said:

Has anyone gotten out of a phone contract without having to buy the whole thing out?

Yes. Twice.

First time was ages ago when Vodafone was shit, just went TIO about shit reception they didn't even contest it because they were so fucked back then.

Second time with Telstra, problem with phone that wasn't being covered under warranty, complained TIO and Telstra got back to me the next day to negotiate, accepted their offer of being let off my contract if I recontract (still technically got off my contract even if I stayed with them on a new contract).

3 hours ago, Deviant said:

But you need to have a valid excuse.  

If optus or vodafone, "Reception is shit". They'll want more info though, might be easier to complain about the internet than call/sms reception. I'm sure optus/vodafone 4g is pretty shit in a lot of areas so shouldn't be too hard. 

If Telstra, well than you're fucked. Maybe the recent problems they've had.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

On to another new smart phone, seems I've only had my last 3 smartphones for a year each, but should be on this one for a while now.

Galaxy s7 edge.

Dunno about the whole edge thing tbh, only got this version since it's bigger, kind of find the edge annoying but maybe it's something you have to get used to.

Also now that I'm on Optus I have to say the decrease in 4g speed is noticeable compared to Telstra, but that was to be expected.

Why has usb 3.0 seemingly been ditched? My Galaxy s5 had it, G4 didn't but I thought that was just an LG thing, but  I didn't realise Samsung had ditched it to as it's just a normal microusb slot again.

Seems to be the best designed waterproof phone so far, no annoying covers for the usb slot like what my Xperia Z and Galaxy s5 had.

Overall quite a sexy phone, I got the Gold looks really good, unlike the gold versions of the s5/s6 which were hideous, this is quite silvery which makes it nice.

Do the out of the box charges on these new flagships have fast charging? Haven't tried the charger and cable that came out the box yet but it's working nicely with my Quick Charge charger, if the boxed charge and cable don't support it I highly recommend people buy a charger that supports fast charging, been using it on my G4 and now this and it's great.

• Like 1

Not sure about the fast charging. But you don't need to post too much for one. Got mine for 5 bucks. 

Also, my modem works. Old so it isn't giving me the speed I should be getting. They won't send me a new one because it's working.

I thought only azn's bought the gold phones

Been using my new iPhone for over a month now. Cant say I miss too much from Android other than the notification light, and the only other annoying thing I can think of is you can't change the default browser. The apps all seem to be of better quality with nothing hardly ever crashing. 

The fingerprint login is amazing, particularly for the gambling apps where I can quickly check the odds on multiple apps and login instantly. 

Edited by hedaik

8 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

I used to be with optus and changed to amaysim. No complaints. Loads cheaper with way more data allowance

Yeah sweet as -- really cbf going over my 2gb allowance all the time. My plan is originally 77 but the last maybe 8 months I've been paying close to 100. 

Can't wait for September for this plan to finish 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, strider said:

Yeah sweet as -- really cbf going over my 2gb allowance all the time. My plan is originally 77 but the last maybe 8 months I've been paying close to 100. 

Can't wait for September for this plan to finish 

Yeah the amount of money i paid because i kept going over my data was ridiculous. Now i can't go over even if i try- and i am always on my phone at work