Melbourne Football

Smartphone discussion

perthheart

Yeh I lol hard when my friends get their $100+ a month telstra bills.

They should be LOLing at you. Telstra for $100 a month is a better deal than Optus network for even $2 a month. Fair point if you're in an area with poor Optus coverage.

I seriously haven't had any reasons to complain.

After all I'm paying $11 and I don't relay on my phone for life or death matters.

• Replies 781
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeh I lol hard when my friends get their $100+ a month telstra bills.

They should be LOLing at you. Telstra for $100 a month is a better deal than Optus network for even $2 a month.

Fair point if you're in an area with poor Optus coverage.

I seriously haven't had any reasons to complain.

After all I'm paying $11 and I don't relay on my phone for life or death matters.

I hear you. I'm with Telstra because a call being missed or dropping out due to poor reception could potentially cost me thousands of $. Otherwise I'd still be paying like $15 a month for more calls than I need and 2gb or w/e of data that I had before joining Telstra. But I still think Telstra is a good deal because I'd pay a lot more than I do if I had too. They could basically charge anything, as long as it isn't completely unrealistic.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

LG G3 in all it's goodness and press render.

Rumour has it that the N6 is VERY similar.

large01.jpg

large05.jpg

large10.jpg

large07.jpg

Although i'm not a fan of the headphone jack at the bottom of a device... i hardly use it.

brushed aluminium looks nice though.

Official release of the device is tonight sometime.

• Like 1

On screen buttons? Not a fan.

This.

Give me a hard home, menu, back(exit)button please :up: Samsung or the One Plus One.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of another.

By the way, is your samsung the LTE version? What's the model number?

The i9305 should have the latest update being released shortly. It might breath new life into your device... Or give you the extra push you need to go out and grab something else. Lol.

Apple's innovation at the 2014 WWDC:

"Apple is building on what it has learnt with the iOS autocorrect system to offer predictive word suggestions directly in the keyboard. QuickType supports many languages, including English, Chinese, British English and Spanish.

QuickType is contextually relevant, per contact. Some contacts get informal word suggestions, whereas serious conversations get more serious suggestions.

Apple used an example of a question; ‘Shall we get a movie or dinner?’. QuickType realised the context and offered suggestions for ‘dinner’ and ‘movie’ directly in the keyboard."

screenshot-2014-06-02-13-59-10.jpg

Meanwhile: Back at google HQ.. suggestions and text swiping has been around for years:

nexusae0_224.png

Its not surprising that certain features that either phone have may take longer to be adopted by the competitor, each platform has different priorities, etc, etc. Its funny when a user of either device(lets says IOS) suddenly gets a new feature and boasts about it to the Android user who has had that feature for years, even funnier is that the IOS user is oblivious to the fact that it was available on Android.

I worked with this iFag who queued overnight to buy an iPhone when they were first released, he came into work telling me all these cool things it does, at the time I had a 18month old HTC Windows 6.0 phone and it did everything his did. I asked him if it could Copy and Paste, he was grumpy after that.

Edited by bazzatron
  • Like 1

Its not surprising that certain features that either phone have may take longer to be adopted by the competitor, each platform has different priorities, etc, etc. Its funny when a user of either device(lets says IOS) suddenly gets a new feature and boasts about it to the Android user who has had that feature for years, even funnier is that the IOS user is oblivious to the fact that it was available on Android.

I worked with this iFag who queued overnight to buy an iPhone when they were first released, he came into work telling me all these cool things it does, at the time I had a 18month old HTC Windows 6.0 phone and it did everything his did. I asked him if it could Copy and Paste, he was grumpy after that.

Hahahahaha

Deviant, I see what you're saying, but I don't understand why people constantly need to compare Android and iOS.

They are different, they suit different people, and they offer different things.

Both have their place.

I'm just doing my bit to educate people. Apple are the masters of marketing... that's why they have survived this long. I can't see any other reason for it?? More and more people are moving up in the world by switching to Google products, not because they have a fancy name, but because they take the time to make it available to the world. How's your Siri going? lol. That was one of the main features... and updated during 7.1, alas, still not strayan enough. Very american though, you'll be able to use it if you give it to someone in america to talk for you. 

And as for android being 'too hard to use'... so was the iphone when people first got it. you stuck it out and now it's intuitive. Give it a week.

If my dad can learn to use android after struggling with nokia's symbian interface, then surely more and more people are going to see the light and it's not a half eaten apple.

More-so, i mentioned 'Tizen' a year ago... It's Samsung's own operating system. They used their heavily modified android system to look different from the rest of the Android devices.

Now, Tizen will finally be released and it'll most likely go down the road of Apple's 'One company' scheme. Tizen will be the iOS of Samsung.

samsung-z-tizen-03.jpg

Looks familiar (to samsung users) doesn't it?? lol

Deviant, I see what you're saying, but I don't understand why people constantly need to compare Android and iOS.

They are different, they suit different people, and they offer different things.

Both have their place.

I'm just doing my bit to educate people. Apple are the masters of marketing... that's why they have survived this long. I can't see any other reason for it?? More and more people are moving up in the world by switching to Google products, not because they have a fancy name, but because they take the time to make it available to the world. How's your Siri going? lol. That was one of the main features... and updated during 7.1, alas, still not strayan enough. Very american though, you'll be able to use it if you give it to someone in america to talk for you. 

And as for android being 'too hard to use'... so was the iphone when people first got it. you stuck it out and now it's intuitive. Give it a week.

If my dad can learn to use android after struggling with nokia's symbian interface, then surely more and more people are going to see the light and it's not a half eaten apple.

Apple still have the best after sales support AFAIK, so that's one reason certain segments of people and business will buy from them. It's where Samsung has really focused on improving the last couple of years, and why I bought a Samsung as I believe they have the best after sales support of any android manufacturer. I'm sure I'll soon find out.

Well, bit by bit, Samsung are opening dedicated stores, like apple have. Although they are offering so much more than just computers tablets and phones. They are expanding to tv's, media, etc.

Hopfully you never need to test samsung and the hardware doesn't give you grief. 

Well, bit by bit, Samsung are opening dedicated stores, like apple have. Although they are offering so much more than just computers tablets and phones. They are expanding to tv's, media, etc.

Hopfully you never need to test samsung and the hardware doesn't give you grief.

The stores are part of what I was talking about in terms of their focus on after sales support, I believe even if you haven't bought from the Samsung store you can still go there for support on your phone/tablet/etc. much like Apple.

They only have 1 store in Sydney and 1 in Melbourne so far AFAIK, but their highpoint store isn't too far away for me and I've gone in there a couple of times.

Chadstone, Highpoint and CBD (CBD is a maybe)

Highpoint is the only one open currently though I think.

UOTYH (for this thread): Apple build quality and product feel is unbeatable.

Build quality is a strength of Apple's across the board. Every android phone I've had has been fairly questionable build quality.

The point is, there is more to it than just specs and features. When you look at just specs and features compared to price, Apple products don't compare favourably, but when you factor in build quality, after sales support, etc., things become fairly even and then it just comes down to what's more important to the individual.

Edited by Tesla

Chadstone, Highpoint and CBD (CBD is a maybe)

Highpoint is the only one open currently though I think.

UOTYH (for this thread): Apple build quality and product feel is unbeatable.

Build quality is a strength of Apple's across the board. Every android phone I've had has been fairly questionable build quality.

The point is, there is more to it than just specs and features. When you look at just specs and features compared to price, Apple products don't compare favourably, but when you factor in build quality, after sales support, etc., things become fairly even and then it just compares to what's more important to the individual.

Out of likes, but this is my point exactly.

My next phone will probably be an iPhone, FWIW.

Just makes life easier...

- Certain apps that would be helpful to me that I can't get on Android.

- Better functionality with many of the apps I already use.

- Some improved compatibility with my Mac.

- Cheaper repairs and better service.

- Better build quality and phone feel.

Biggest negative is that I won't be able to use MightyText anymore.

I prefer Android, but it has come to the point that an iPhone will be more convenient in my daily life.

• Like 1

That's the cheapest I've seen. But be careful, the different models might be different prices

Yeah just seen the damage, there's also a fairly substantial chip on the back that most people don't stock the part for. Easier just to take to the 'genius bar' or whatever quirky name they call their stores

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Making good use of: sellyourmobile.com.au

Seems easy... getting on it. Money straight into paypal, then from there i can pay my phone bill.

how awesome is that site - i can still get $2 for my old motorola 9x , even $80 seems ok for my nexus . 

I'm sure i'm too lazy and the phone will go into my phone museum next to the motorola micro tac

Making good use of: sellyourmobile.com.au

Seems easy... getting on it. Money straight into paypal, then from there i can pay my phone bill.

how awesome is that site - i can still get $2 for my old motorola 9x , even $80 seems ok for my nexus . 

I'm sure i'm too lazy and the phone will go into my phone museum next to the motorola micro tac

I'll let you know as soon as it's done. 

Might have to find my old phones that are laying around.

Looks good for those of us that cbf selling them on ebay or w/e. You could probably get at least double what these guys are offering by selling your phone on ebay, but it's a lot of effort. This is easy.

Edited by Tesla

The advert that runs for a full minute has 3 good jabs and a right cross at the users of ageing iPhones, showing scores of users “tethered to walls” and complaining about the battery life of their phones. Until thelightbulb moment for one user who sees a Samsung user changing batteries.

The timing is right for Samsung to strike now before the launch of the new iPhone which is expected shortly after IFA only next week; convert them now before it’s too late and they’re locked into another iPhone for another 2 years.

The advert that runs for a full minute has 3 good jabs and a right cross at the users of ageing iPhones, showing scores of users “tethered to walls” and complaining about the battery life of their phones. Until thelightbulb moment for one user who sees a Samsung user changing batteries.

The timing is right for Samsung to strike now before the launch of the new iPhone which is expected shortly after IFA only next week; convert them now before it’s too late and they’re locked into another iPhone for another 2 years.

Let them hug the walls. I got a rechargable case ;)

But seriously I'm thinking of changing to a samsung sometime.

All these Samsung ads that pick holes in the iPhone seem really petty and make me less interested in making the switch tbh. It's pretty rare that my iPhone battery runs out while I'm out and when I fly most airports are pretty well equipped if I did need to use a power point.. Also, as stated above, there are numerous accessories to recharge on the go if this is an issue for you..

All these Samsung ads that pick holes in the iPhone seem really petty and make me less interested in making the switch tbh. It's pretty rare that my iPhone battery runs out while I'm out and when I fly most airports are pretty well equipped if I did need to use a power point.. Also, as stated above, there are numerous accessories to recharge on the go if this is an issue for you..

My Iphone drains a lot of battery at the races because I use a Betting App plus a Form Guide App... however since I bought a small Sony Charger for $40 that problem has been solved.

(Plus its really annoying how Samsung's don't charge properly when you attempt to charge them from your PC or Car like you can with aN Iphone.)

Edited by cadete

The funny thing is, despite the huge battery in the s5, the battery consumption is no better than all the other smartphones.

Pretty disappointing actually.

(Plus its really annoying how Samsung's don't charge properly when you attempt to charge them from your PC or Car like you can with aN Iphone.)

How so?

My s5 charges fine in car or PC, the s5 even has a micro USB 3.0 slot which allows for faster PC charging if you have an appropriate cable.

The funny thing is, despite the huge battery in the s5, the battery consumption is no better than all the other smartphones.

Pretty disappointing actually.

How so?

My s5 charges fine in car or PC, the s5 even has a micro USB 3.0 slot which allows for faster PC charging if you have an appropriate cable.

It must be to do with older Samsungs because both when I charge my Samsung Note Tablet not with the proper a charger - Then a Red Cross appears over the Charging Symbol to say its charging but not well. Likewise my Fiance's Galaxy barely charges in her car as well.