Melbourne Football

Smartphone discussion

perthheart

5 hours ago, strider said:

is amaysim any good? dont wanna keep paying around 80 a month for telstra lol

40 per month with Telstra on the Mx plan.

I had to work hard to get this plan, now they're offering it to everyone!

Boost or amaysim are really good too for 40 dollars. 

Kogan have announced that they are now offering 4g. If you don't need to talk to anyone like their customer service then kogan is cheap too

• Like 1

• Replies 781
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 26 May 2016 at 2:23 PM, hedaik said:

I thought only azn's bought the gold phones

Been using my new iPhone for over a month now. Cant say I miss too much from Android other than the notification light, and the only other annoying thing I can think of is you can't change the default browser. The apps all seem to be of better quality with nothing hardly ever crashing. 

The fingerprint login is amazing, particularly for the gambling apps where I can quickly check the odds on multiple apps and login instantly. 

It's almost too fast. I've had to get used to pushing the power button to see notifications rather than the home button

I've cracked my Samsung S6 and it's about to go in to be repaired. I need to back it up as I'll likely be getting a new handset, is there a decent Android back up program that'll let me transfer everything back to the new handset as it was previously? 

EDIT: Just realized you can download Smart Switch for PC, hopefully that'll work

Edited by Begbie
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Begbie said:

I've cracked my Samsung S6 and it's about to go in to be repaired. I need to back it up as I'll likely be getting a new handset, is there a decent Android back up program that'll let me transfer everything back to the new handset as it was previously? 

EDIT: Just realized you can download Smart Switch for PC, hopefully that'll work

Not too much experience with Smart Switch but seems to be good, but I think it will only do the job if you're moving to another Samsung? You can definitely use it for other brand android to Samsung, but I dunno if you can for Samsung to other brand.

But really there is nothing you can't do yourself, most your settings, contacts, even some app data, etc are backed up to your google account (as long as you haven't turned this off) so they'll automatically be on your new phone. If you don't have automatic photo backup/upload thing on (I don't cause it's annoying) then just copy those over to your SD card or to PC. Do the same for any documents or other files you need (personally I only needed to backup photos but maybe you have other important files). The only problem is text messages, I always use this program that backs up your SMS to your gmail, SMS Backup + it's called. I like it because really I see it as a way to archive my SMSs, I usually don't bother restoring them (you can if you wish) on new phone because I'm rarely going to need to go back to an old SMS from months ago, and if I do I can either restore them then or just go to my gmail and search for the text message in my gmail (they have their own label in gmail so easy to find them).

Other issue can be notes/memo programs, most brands have their own program on it and so you might have to go into the program and export them to a file and then copy that onto your PC and then onto new phone and import it into the memo/notes software on there.

If you are going Samsung to Samsung then it's all even easier since you have the option to backup to your Samsung account, which does a bit more than the Google one as it saves your memos at the very least, and I think other stuff from Samsung apps. Plus you can use smart switch for sure if it's Samsung to Samsung which should take care of everything else.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Deviant said:

Yep, go with smart switch, very easy. automated.

Where are you taking it? what price?

I have Optus Insurance so it was going to cost me $50 but they can't do it in time before I leave the country so I'm just going to leave it and get a half decent case because the cracks are only on the back

1 minute ago, Begbie said:

I have Optus Insurance so it was going to cost me $50 but they can't do it in time before I leave the country so I'm just going to leave it and get a half decent case because the cracks are only on the back

Ok, I'd normally recommend that you leave your phone here. However, if your insurance is covered for overseas travel then lose it on the last day of your travels in your suitcase with the sim card out of it and google accounts disabled. haha

2 minutes ago, Deviant said:

Ok, I'd normally recommend that you leave your phone here. However, if your insurance is covered for overseas travel then lose it on the last day of your travels in your suitcase with the sim card out of it and google accounts disabled. haha

Lose it? Phone insurance doesn't cover you for losing it, it needs to be stolen...

Though if you're travelling you probably have travel insurance as well... 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tesla said:

Lose it? Phone insurance doesn't cover you for losing it, it needs to be stolen...

Though if you're travelling you probably have travel insurance as well... 

And if you booked with a credit card, the credit card could have insurance automatically put on to it.

• 3 weeks later...

Facebook has today announced a new feature for their hugely popular Messenger app, adding support for SMS in a bid to fully control your messaging experience.

Facebook has introduced SMS integration exclusively on Android for the launch, with support for a fairly good range of messaging features such as standard text, images, videos, and audio. You can also send ‘rich content’ including stickers, emojis, and you can also share your location. There isn’t however support for animated GIFs, or other Messenger related features like sending money, making voice or video calls, and request transportation – but since you’re in Messenger anyway those features aren’t too far away.

There’s delineation of functions, you’ll note that messages in Messenger are your usual Blue, while SMS’s are purple in the app.

To turn on SMS in Messenger, it’s pretty easy just :

1. Open Messenger and tap on Settings (the person icon)
  2. Select “SMS” from the list
  3. Turn on “Default SMS app”

For the tinfoil hat brigade, Facebook isn’t getting in on the messages sent via SMS. In their announcement post, Facebook advises that they aren’t storing, uploading or send any of your SMS messages to their servers.

Facebook-Messenger-Text-1.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...