Melbourne Football

Memberships/Season Tickets

jw1739

4 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

01/06/2016 : 7

08/07/2016 : 25,000 (Samaras signs)

Heard a VERY interesting rumour about our old friend Georgy. A certain club with certain ties to the Hellenic community are calling themselves "an aleague team in waiting." Well the powers that be are starting to agree I'm told, and old mate Samaras wants to follow in dad and pappous footsteps and will be announced as their marquee when the FFA confirm the expansion. 

25 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Heard a VERY interesting rumour about our old friend Georgy. A certain club with certain ties to the Hellenic community are calling themselves "an aleague team in waiting." Well the powers that be are starting to agree I'm told, and old mate Samaras wants to follow in dad and pappous footsteps and will be announced as their marquee when the FFA confirm the expansion. 

At what age?

Club

Sport

Concession ($)

Adult ($)

Combined ($)

Melbourne City

A-League

Melbourne Victory

A-League

Melbourne United

NBL

Storm

NRL

Melbourne Demons

AFL

Carlton

AFL

Western Bulldogs

AFL

St. Kilda

AFL

North Melbourne

AFL

Collingwood

AFL

Richmond

AFL

Hawthorn

AFL

Essendon

AFL

Just a quick look at the cheapest full season membership for sporting clubs in Melbourne. A number of factors coming into play such as number of games played, but the question must be asked...do Melbourne City provide as much value as say a Hawthorn etc? Or, do Melbourne City perceive to provide as much value to customers who are considering to join, as much as their respective AFL club?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Deluka said:

Club

Sport

Concession ($)

Adult ($)

Combined ($)

Melbourne City

A-League

Melbourne Victory

A-League

Melbourne United

NBL

Storm

NRL

Melbourne Demons

AFL

Carlton

AFL

Western Bulldogs

AFL

St. Kilda

AFL

North Melbourne

AFL

Collingwood

AFL

Richmond

AFL

Hawthorn

AFL

Essendon

AFL

Just a quick look at the cheapest full season membership for sporting clubs in Melbourne. A number of factors coming into play such as number of games played, but the question must be asked...do Melbourne City provide as much value as say a Hawthorn etc? Or, do Melbourne City perceive to provide as much value to customers who are considering to join, as much as their respective AFL club?

Per game :

Sport Concession ($) Adult ($) Combined ($) Per Game
  Club
1 Melbourne City A-League 155 250 405 19.23
2 Melbourne Victory A-League 155 238 393 18.31
3 Melbourne United NBL 185 185 370 ?
4 Storm NRL 145 210 355 16.15
5 Melbourne Demons AFL 145 209 354 19.00
6 Carlton AFL 142 210 352 19.09
7 Western Bulldogs AFL 140 205 345 18.64
8 St. Kilda AFL 135 205 340 18.64
9 North Melbourne AFL 140 199 339 18.09
10 Collingwood AFL 135 195 330 17.73
11 Richmond AFL 129 199 328 18.09
12 Hawthorn AFL 134 190 324 17.27
13 Essendon AFL 115 170 285 15.45

Excepting Essendon, who dropped their membership prices this season for obvious reasons, not really a lot of difference tbh.

Edited by bt50

55 minutes ago, Deluka said:

That's a good comparison - we are $50 or 25% more expensive than AFL clubs. Given they all outnumber us in membership and attendance by a long way that really highlights how over priced our memberships are.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Deeming said:

That's a good comparison - we are $50 or 25% more expensive than AFL clubs. Given they all outnumber us in membership and attendance by a long way that really highlights how over priced our memberships are.

We have a longer season though so comparing on a price per game is a far more accurate way to do it 

3 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

We have a longer season though so comparing on a price per game is a far more accurate way to do it 

True but its not that different 

A-League = 13-14 home games
AFL = 11
NRL = 13

52 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

But is it just about price? I don't know about the Storm or basketball, but don't AFL Members actually have some sort of say in the affairs of the club? Also my impression from what's been said on here is that AFL clubs are better at communication than City is. What about "extras" too? When Heart first started we could go to the Westpac room after every home match and meet the players etc. - that's no longer the case.

1 hour ago, Deeming said:

It could also be a reflection of fixed costs. The more members you have the greater the capacity to drop your membership prices. It a catch 22 situation because if you drop the prices to entice new members but then you may not get enough to budget. Of course this could all be mitigated by CFG willing to tolerate greater losses and drop membership prices and add some more freebies like JW suggested above.

13 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

But is it just about price? I don't know about the Storm or basketball, but don't AFL Members actually have some sort of say in the affairs of the club? Also my impression from what's been said on here is that AFL clubs are better at communication than City is. What about "extras" too? When Heart first started we could go to the Westpac room after every home match and meet the players etc. - that's no longer the case.

Lel. I'd pay an extra $10 bucks a year not to have to get all the shit mail to do with board elections and shit.

Don't think City provide as much value as all the other clubs listed tbh, last season was the first season I felt the cost matched the product.

I think is difficult attracting members who primarily watch and support AFL, naturally they will view AFL as a more premium product than the A-League and would be less inclined to sign up to City with a more expensive price as it would be considered not worth it or overpriced. 

Cost per game can be a factor but generally speaking the experience of going to the soccer extends for 2 hours and the experience of attending the AFL lasts roughly 3 hours so it probably cancels each other out.

6 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

It could also be a reflection of fixed costs. The more members you have the greater the capacity to drop your membership prices. It a catch 22 situation because if you drop the prices to entice new members but then you may not get enough to budget. Of course this could all be mitigated by CFG willing to tolerate greater losses and drop membership prices and add some more freebies like JW suggested above.

Absolutely this is a factor but rather than spending money on 4 mascots, multiple support staff, promotions etc take a risk of a bit of a financial hit but I think it will pay off.

Eg. at $250/year for instance the club makes $75 (30% is a fairly usual amount) 

$75 x 12,000 = $900,000 

plus everyone buying merchandise

Drop to $200/year for instance the club makes $75 (30% is a fairly usual amount) 

$25 x 18,000 (I think that a reasonable increase) = $450,000 

plus an extra 6000 buying merchandise

In the end maybe the club takes a hit of $250,000 = 2-3 staff or a component of the advertising budget

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Thrillhouse said:

just with the comparison of membership prices, those afl memberships are probly peasant seats in the forward 50 and maybe level 4 at the g and 3 at etihad

also not sure how accurate, collingwood tend to have 3 game memberships for like $90

Reasonably sure they are just General Admission memberships; no reserved seat and subject to capacity. Often that means Level 3 only at Etihad and limited Level 1 at the G.

Edited by bt50

On 6 June 2016 at 2:24 PM, Deluka said:

Don't think City provide as much value as all the other clubs listed tbh, last season was the first season I felt the cost matched the product.

I think is difficult attracting members who primarily watch and support AFL, naturally they will view AFL as a more premium product than the A-League and would be less inclined to sign up to City with a more expensive price as it would be considered not worth it or overpriced. 

Cost per game can be a factor but generally speaking the experience of going to the soccer extends for 2 hours and the experience of attending the AFL lasts roughly 3 hours so it probably cancels each other out.

AFL is a more premium product though. 

AFL = best in the world

A-League = best in Australia

Well nah it's not hard. 

The best AFL players in when world play in Aistralia. It's the pinnacle of the sport, the elite echelon, the best of the best. 

Do the best soccer players in the world play in Australia? Is it the pinnacle of the sport? The elite echelon? The best of the best?

Therefore AFL is a premium product, whereas the A-League is not. 

How does this effect pricing? In a vacuum your dollar should go further for A-League pricing. We are not in a vacuum, but the theory holds true. Meaning, it's overpriced for the level of the product. 

10 hours ago, morphine said:

Well nah it's not hard. 

The best AFL players in when world play in Aistralia. It's the pinnacle of the sport, the elite echelon, the best of the best. 

Do the best soccer players in the world play in Australia? Is it the pinnacle of the sport? The elite echelon? The best of the best?

How does this effect pricing? In a vacuum your dollar should go further for A-League pricing. We are not in a vacuum, but the theory holds true. Meaning, it's overpriced for the level of the product. 

I wasn't aware that AFL existed in any meaningful form other than in Australia - perhaps a couple of expat teams kicking a ball somewhere, but no real competition. So I don't really think comparisons with AFL make much sense.
What I do with my City Premium A foundation membership is a qualitative assessment of what value I get for what I pay - 2*$585 for MrsJW and me. We renewed for next season because last season we were able to move to seats under cover. However, prior to that move it wasn't really worth it, especially in the first two seasons when it seemed to rain every time Heart played at home and we either had to change seats or get wet.
I'd summarise our attitude so far as being renewal out of habit rather than eagerness and anticipation for the next season, and I think City is pushing the upper limit of value for Premium A. If I could get seats under cover in Premium B we'd move there for sure.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, morphine said:

Well nah it's not hard. 

Wow. 

• Like 1

Well done from the club. Absolutely loved seeing the LED advertisement during the game and great to hear they had an advertisement during half time. We can often be a bunch of whinging cunts but credit where credits due.

Now, more of this please Melbourne City.

• Like 1

• jw1739 pinned this topic