Melbourne Football

Memberships/Season Tickets

jw1739

5 hours ago, jw1739 said:

The 3-match active is for the first three matches of the season. It does not appear to be flexible.

https://www.citymembership.com.au/3-game-active

Yes, that's a problem for me as we can't make Sunday matches but I'll call them and see if they are flexible. We're in for Friday and some Saturday matches, however ⅔ of the first 3 are Sunday games

9 hours ago, belaguttman said:

Yes, that's a problem for me as we can't make Sunday matches but I'll call them and see if they are flexible. We're in for Friday and some Saturday matches, however ⅔ of the first 3 are Sunday games

I think that it's time for a complete overhaul of the membership/seat allocation/reservation system. I think we're struggling to be able to offer flexibility because of commitments made right from Day 1 - such as "a reserved seat for life." My idea would be to move "active" to the northern end (which would then really be the "City End"), reduce the number of reserved seats to some sections on the Western wing (avoids the sun) and some sections at the southern end, and then make all the rest GA. 

This would mean some relocation, and the breaking of certain promises, but we have to face the facts - the demand for memberships has not taken off, many original members have left, and we are left with "orphan" groups of people in their original seats and gaps everywhere.

For derbies and any other (if ever) matches where the ground is likely to be full,, "GA" would still apply, but you would have to use the seat allocated to you, whereas for all other matches "GA" would entitle you to sit anywhere other than a reserved seat. 

I would also streamline the packages, and have an across-the-board reduction of 10-20% in prices. What we're doing now is building more and more complexity on top of an over-ambitious original. We need a circuit-breaker.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I think that it's time for a complete overhaul of the membership/seat allocation/reservation system. I think we're struggling to be able to offer flexibility because of commitments made right from Day 1 - such as "a reserved seat for life." My idea would be to move "active" to the northern end (which would then really be the "City End"), reduce the number of reserved seats to some sections on the Western wing (avoids the sun) and some sections at the southern end, and then make all the rest GA. 

This would mean some relocation, and the breaking of certain promises, but we have to face the facts - the demand for memberships has not taken off, many original members have left, and we are left with "orphan" groups of people in their original seats and gaps everywhere.

For derbies and any other (if ever) matches where the ground is likely to be full,, "GA" would still apply, but you would have to use the seat allocated to you, whereas for all other matches "GA" would entitle you to sit anywhere other than a reserved seat. 

I would also streamline the packages, and have an across-the-board reduction of 10-20% in prices. What we're doing now is building more and more complexity on top of an over-ambitious original. We need a circuit-breaker.

Why the move for active to the other side of the ground? Can’t your suggestions be achieved without changing the position of active?

just thinking that those in active can’t see themselves located in the same section or area as what some would call a victory end of the ground?

4 hours ago, coys said:

Why the move for active to the other side of the ground? Can’t your suggestions be achieved without changing the position of active?

just thinking that those in active can’t see themselves located in the same section or area as what some would call a victory end of the ground?

@coys Of course active can be left where they are. It's just the concept of the "City End" that I think makes it more suitable at the northern end.  I'm simply putting a possible plan on the table, because I think what we've got now is a dog's breakfast and the stadium is like a bloody morgue at our home games. I'm not wedded to it, and IMO the club should look at the situation and try to improve on what we've got. I'd hope that they would involve members including active (do we still have an active group?) in any discussions.

Just in passing, it interests me that you bring up the "Victory end" of the ground. IMO this shows how weak our support is. These are our home matches, so who cares about Victory? They only occupy that end in Derbies, so far, because we can't fill the ground with our own fans, and that shows how poor the club is in growing its support base.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

@coys Of course active can be left where they are. It's just the concept of the "City End" that I think makes it more suitable at the northern end.  I'm simply putting a possible plan on the table, because I think what we've got now is a dog's breakfast and the stadium is like a bloody morgue at our home games. I'm not wedded to it, and IMO the club should look at the situation and try to improve on what we've got. I'd hope that they would involve members including active (do we still have an active group?) in any discussions.

Just in passing, it interests me that you bring up the "Victory end" of the ground. IMO this shows how weak our support is. These are our home matches, so who cares about Victory? They only occupy that end in Derbies, so far, because we can't fill the ground with our own fans, and that shows how poor the club is in growing its support base.

Well said.

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Because for as long as aami has existed the main active sections of either club have been south end for us and the north end for victory, think Roma and Lazio supporters they play same ground but are at opposite ends like our clubs. 

To me I understand what your saying and I agree that regards to seating it just isnt working but I would be against the idea of moving the active sections

2 hours ago, citypool said:

Derby tickets on sale 

I absolutely refuse to go to marvel stadium to watch anything it is a total shithole , if you are on ground level you can only see the top half of players on the far side of the pitch and if you are on upper levels you need binoculars to follow the play . i will wait for the first home game at AAMI.

Edited by johnno cpfc
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, johnno cpfc said:

I absolutely refuse to go to marvel stadium to watch anything it is a total shithole , if you are on ground level you can only see the top half of players on the far side of the pitch and if you are on upper levels you need binoculars to follow the play . i will wait for the first home game at AAMI.

This is the correct answer. 

2 hours ago, johnno cpfc said:

The seats are moved in for this one FWIW.

2 hours ago, IssySG said:

Unpopular opinion but I love the away derbies. Feels like all the City fans in our bays - active or not - get really up for it, a true us vs the world sort of atmosphere (which is typically what it feels like being a City fan in Melbourne). It's just sort of this intangible feeling you get from being isolated in our little corner, kind of like you could go up and talk to any City fan and have a really great chat.

Plus giving it to the Visitor's South End is an event in it of itself.

💯%

• Thanks 1

We won the FFA Cup in Season 2016/17, the attendance at the Home Final vs. Sydney being 18,751. The League attendances that season were our highest - average non-derby attendance of 9,417. Thereafter the comparative numbers have fallen - 7,963 in 2017/18 and 6,782 in 2018/19.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

We won the FFA Cup in Season 2016/17, the attendance at the Home Final vs. Sydney being 18,751. The League attendances that season were our highest - average non-derby attendance of 9,417. Thereafter the comparative numbers have fallen - 7,963 in 2017/18 and 6,782 in 2018/19.

Thanks mate hoping we host the final again and get to pick up our crowds this season 

11 hours ago, belaguttman said:

I went to the membership tent planning to buy a 3 game active ticket, however, it's only for the first 3 home games. 2 of those are on Sunday, I can't go to Sunday games, no flexibility🥵

@belaguttmanBela, I did warn you about that on here shortly after the release.

My suggestion is to keep the pressure on. It does not make sense to me to have restrictions on memberships to attend any other match when, except for derbies and when David Villa was here, we have never had to open the top tier. The capacity of the lower tiers is 20,000 - more than enough for the small crowds we attract. Perhaps even more areas of the ground could be turned over to GA? We could then have a whole heap of different GA memberships - (excluding home derbies) - all Fridays, all Saturdays, all Sundays, any number from say 5 upwards to 11, because you have to take pot luck on your seat(s). Even with GA as it is, surely we could do that anyway. Active is slightly different perhaps, but it's a long time since that section was full as far as I can see.

Of course, the more options there are the administration becomes more complex, and perhaps that's something the club wants to avoid.

2 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

@belaguttmanBela, I did warn you about that on here shortly after the release.

My suggestion is to keep the pressure on. It does not make sense to me to have restrictions on memberships to attend any other match when, except for derbies and when David Villa was here, we have never had to open the top tier. The capacity of the lower tiers is 20,000 - more than enough for the small crowds we attract. Perhaps even more areas of the ground could be turned over to GA? We could then have a whole heap of different GA memberships - (excluding home derbies) - all Fridays, all Saturdays, all Sundays, any number from say 5 upwards to 11, because you have to take pot luck on your seat(s). Even with GA as it is, surely we could do that anyway. Active is slightly different perhaps, but it's a long time since that section was full as far as I can see.

Of course, the more options there are the administration becomes more complex, and perhaps that's something the club wants to avoid.

I think the last bit is probably the main factor tbh, and perhaps as far as active goes there are external factors like security, FFA and VicPol wanting to know exactly who is in there each week and therefore mandating it be a membership only zone.
I suppose the other thing is commercial realities, I'd suggest the club has very closely watched what has and hasnt worked re crowds and ultimately returns on gate/membership over the 10 seasons and has a reason why they think the current set-up is the best way to approach it.

26 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I think the last bit is probably the main factor tbh, and perhaps as far as active goes there are external factors like security, FFA and VicPol wanting to know exactly who is in there each week and therefore mandating it be a membership only zone.
I suppose the other thing is commercial realities, I'd suggest the club has very closely watched what has and hasnt worked re crowds and ultimately returns on gate/membership over the 10 seasons and has a reason why they think the current set-up is the best way to approach it.

Yes, I think you're right. I'd forgotten about the "security" issue, coming from an English non-league background in an era where it wasn't needed. And they've probably worked out that it would cost more to administer more flexibility than the income they would receive from a few extra members.

30 minutes ago, citypool said:

Membership count update Melbourne Victory: 20,143 Western Sydney: 13,500 Sydney FC: 10,131 Newcastle Jets: 7,401 Brisbane Roar: 7,270 Melbourne City: 6,869 Perth Glory: 6,543 Adelaide United: 4,245 Central Coast: 3,090 Wellington Phoenix: 2,763 Western United: 1,475 All: 84,430

In perspective, all up, that's less than Richmond's membership. We have a long way to go... 

1 hour ago, citypool said:

Membership count update Melbourne Victory: 20,143 Western Sydney: 13,500 Sydney FC: 10,131 Newcastle Jets: 7,401 Brisbane Roar: 7,270 Melbourne City: 6,869 Perth Glory: 6,543 Adelaide United: 4,245 Central Coast: 3,090 Wellington Phoenix: 2,763 Western United: 1,475 All: 84,430

Just out of curiosity where did that number come from? I had someone from within City tell say we were over 7K.

Great effort with the scarfs this year.

image.png.8b71d6d3de9efef570c750b10f463a18.png

image.thumb.png.c6130757b7606b162fac8e430127b974.png

The membership scarfs are consistently good year after year, yet the ones in the merch shop are horrible. THat suggests to me that there is some kind of contract whereby the club has no control, they just get what they are given.

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Great effort with the scarfs this year.

image.png.8b71d6d3de9efef570c750b10f463a18.png

image.thumb.png.c6130757b7606b162fac8e430127b974.png

The membership scarfs are consistently good year after year, yet the ones in the merch shop are horrible. THat suggests to me that there is some kind of contract whereby the club has no control, they just get what they are given.

The one from some years back with the one of sides being red and white is still my favourite! But this is one great the anniversary tag on it.

Edited by Mr MO

43 minutes ago, HughJass said:

If 3,000 people are going to be gifted a membership, then we should see an immediate increment in our numbers. I very much doubt that we will see that.

At the moment we are about 800 behind where we were at this time last year.

• jw1739 pinned this topic