Melbourne Football

Memberships/Season Tickets

jw1739

7 hours ago, jw1739 said:

We did have quite a significant campaign (bus shelters etc.) when we signed Tim Cahill, although I'm not sure whether that was City or FFA, or both.

The point about having a star player, or a number of star players, in the club or the League or both is not just about skills on the field, it is also that the marketing has a focus. For the past several seasons what have we had - club or league - that could serve as the focal point? As a club, how could you possibly use Berenguer and Maclaren as the focal campaign of your marketing - they are "unknowns."

The rusted-on core supporters will continue to attend. But to grow we have to have star imports. It's the way the entertainment industry works. David Villa and Alessandro Del Piero were perfect examples of how to put bums on seats.

Jamie Maclaren should be our star player though his played in the World Cup. This sport is the highest played sport we just can’t get people interested in the a league 

27 minutes ago, citypool said:

Jamie Maclaren should be our star player though his played in the World Cup. This sport is the highest played sport we just can’t get people interested in the a league 

We don't get people interested in the A-League because it isn't marketed properly. This is what the club says about Maclaren on the club web-site:

Socceroos striker Jamie Maclaren joined Melbourne City FC from German side, SV Darmstadt 98, in the 2019 January transfer window.
The Melbourne-born attacker, is a proven goal scorer with experience in the A-League - having scored 40 goals in just 53 appearances during his time at Brisbane Roar.
Maclaren brings a wealth of experience to the squad, with over 100 A-League appearances during his time at Perth Glory, Brisbane and City, as well as valuable experience in Germany and Scotland with SV Darmstadt 98 and Hibernian respectively.
Maclaren made an immediate impact at City, scoring five goals in nine appearances to close out the 2018/19 season, and will be looking to build on his goal scoring run in his second, and first full season at the Club.

3 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Winning isn’t always the key, it’s attractive football and exciting players - proof is there some seasons ago.

Disagree.

Winning is everything especially for our team, seeing that we have been the Victards punching bag from the beginning.

If we had 2 A-league titles plus AFC championship appearances I guarantee things would be different today regardless of our style of play.

Let's just hope WU aren't too successful this season or we are going to be in real trouble next season.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Disagree.

Winning is everything especially for our team, seeing that we have been the Victards punching bag from the beginning.

If we had 2 A-league titles plus AFC championship appearances I guarantee things would be different today regardless of our style of play.

Let's just hope WU aren't too successful this season or we are going to be in real trouble next season.

Well the spectator numbers don’t lie from some years ago - I’m sorry to counter your disagreement with facts.

We have won pretty much the same amount games the last 4 seasons but the numbers have dropped? 

Please read my comment again, I said “isn’t always” meaning it is not the only contributor.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

Had a long chat with our membership manager Dale yesterday  He was great to speak to and discussed a number of the positive aspects of the club with me. I had spoken with Ryan previously who passed me up to Dale who took the time to speak with me. I was concerned about the active area and he mentioned to me that this week they are releasing a 3 game active membership, which should see some numbers grow in that area. Free for members FFA cup is brilliant

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Centrehalf said:

Had a long chat with our membership manager Dale yesterday  He was great to speak to and discussed a number of the positive aspects of the club with me. I had spoken with Ryan previously who passed me up to Dale who took the time to speak with me. I was concerned about the active area and he mentioned to me that this week they are releasing a 3 game active membership, which should see some numbers grow in that area. Free for members FFA cup is brilliant

I think that the point of the article on Fremantle is that while there may be many positive aspects of any football club - indeed any organisation - do the messages coming out of the club actually resonate with the intended audience?

It's a fair time since I dealt with all this sort of thing - convincing people that what's happening to them is good for them (occupational health and safety) - but fairly often the messages that I get from City seem more like stilted corporate releases from a bank rather than from a football club to one of its original fans. IMO part of the problem is that the clubs do not have independent web-sites - they all have to fit the FFA template - and this needs to be changed quick-smart.

2 hours ago, Centrehalf said:

I was concerned about the active area and he mentioned to me that this week they are releasing a 3 game active membership, which should see some numbers grow in that area. Free for members FFA cup is brilliant

This is what I've been asking for for 3 seasons. Mrs G and I will renew when it becomes available

• Like 1

On 31/08/2019 at 2:25 PM, Imtellingyou said:

Free Cup game admission  is garnished with a free dinner. There will be around $5 fee to print your free membership ticket. 

Hi

Does this apply to the FFA cup semi-final and final should we make them?

Also seeing as its Fathers day does anyone have a good membership discount code say 20%?

Thanks 

Stig

Edited by TheStig

1 hour ago, TheStig said:

Hi

Does this apply to the FFA cup semi-final and final should we make them?

Also seeing as its Fathers day does anyone have a good membership discount code say 20%?

Thanks 

Stig

Ring the membership number at La tobe talk to the crew there are offering discounts .

37 minutes ago, TheStig said:

Do we get into the FFA cup finals with a  membership?

Memberships entitle you to go to all 13 home A-League matches without further payment. They do not cover "finals" matches or any FFA Cup matches unless the club decides otherwise. And IIRC "finals" matches are actually "FFA matches" rather than club matches, and I don't think that the club could make then free even if they wanted to. It always interests me to see that even the corporate boxes are only covered for the 13 home A-League matches.

10 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I am assuming that the club has come to some arrangement with FFA.

Incidentally, can anyone point me to a club statement concerning free admission to this match? I don't recall seeing one myself, but I have been distracted lately and may have missed it.

Where did you hear about the free entry and free dinner,?

Thanks.

The best Ryan could do for me was a 10% discount unless I could demonstrate a direct relationship with the club (eg through a sponsor).

Disappointed. I will wait and see whether new codes pop up and may go the 5 game route. $290 seems a bit much given that WU are charging $195 and we only have one victory derby this year.

Btw I don't see any mention of a free dinner above.

Edited by TheStig

1 minute ago, TheStig said:

Thanks.

The best Ryan could do for me was a 10% discount unless I could demonstrate s direct relationship with the club (eg through a sponsor).

Disappointed. I will wait and see whether new codes pop up and may go the 5 game route. $290 seems a bit much given that WU are charging $195 and we only have one victory derby this year.

I think you should take the $195 option, do everyone a favour. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TheStig said:

Thanks.

Btw I don't see any mention of a free dinner above.

It was a strange, uncorroborated and frankly ludicrous idea thrown up in a single, garbled post from a poster who is a master of incomprehensibility. 

2 hours ago, TheStig said:

Given they have less than 2000 members that might be a risky option. They may fold.

And in my experience online, their fans are muppets. Going off them rapidly. 

10 minutes ago, citypool said:

If we could have the fourth highest membership behind Sydney, wsw and victory it’ll be good 

It's just a "pissing contest." The numbers actually mean little - you can't equate a 3-match membership with a 13-match membership. That's my view anyway.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, citypool said:

If we could have the fourth highest membership behind Sydney, wsw and victory it’ll be good 

I guess those short memberships also count but do other clubs have them too? Otherwise this tally is flawed. 

Is the tally reflecting memberships sold or a member count? 

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

I guess those short memberships also count but do other clubs have them too? Otherwise this tally is flawed. 

Is the tally reflecting memberships sold or a member count? 

As I understand it, it is the number of individuals - i.e. seats - covered by the memberships sold. So City Supporter, City Toddler, City Baby don't count. Others are one membership per person covered by the amount paid. I'm a little uncertain as to whether a family is 2+2 or 2+4, but the principle is that if all the members turned up, the attendance should equal the number of members. 

I could be wrong of course!

• jw1739 pinned this topic