Melbourne Football

Memberships/Season Tickets

jw1739

32 minutes ago, Afif Adam said:

4,500 lmaooo

It's not really a laughing matter. City remind me of the proverb of the boy who cried "wolf!" They've all to often promised something but rarely delivered. Last season, and IMO especially the Fornaroli episode, severely damaged the club's credibility. It's a long road back from where we were at the end of last season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

It's not really a laughing matter. City remind me of the proverb of the boy who cried "wolf!" They've all to often promised something but rarely delivered. Last season, and IMO especially the Fornaroli episode, severely damaged the club's credibility. It's a long road back from where we were at the end of last season.

fwiw i think last year about the same time was only 5,700 so its probably not too bad all things considered.

3 hours ago, citypool said:

A league transfer hub is saying all clubs membership is down 37% including the new Mob. 

There's a total number of 45,128 shown on the A-League website https://www.a-league.com.au/membership, and I suspect that we're going to see individual club figures soon.

Doesn't surprise me if indeed there is a drop in memberships taken out so far. FFA delayed the independent A-League, and other changes, a season too long, and I don't think the lop-sided fixture sits well with football fans. Also IMO there have not been any outstanding signings so far. City are an excellent example - a solid squad but nothing there that would make people say "I simply must watch Melbourne City this season."

Still 50 days to go though. Memberships can still pick up. And we all know that membership numbers are a bit of a pissing contest really.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

There's a total number of 45,128 shown on the A-League website https://www.a-league.com.au/membership, and I suspect that we're going to see individual club figures soon.

Doesn't surprise me if indeed there is a drop in memberships taken out so far. FFA delayed the independent A-League, and other changes, a season too long, and I don't think the lop-sided fixture sits well with football fans. Also IMO there have not been any outstanding signings so far. City are an excellent example - a solid squad but nothing there that would make people say "I simply must watch Melbourne City this season."

Still 50 days to go though. Memberships can still pick up. And we all know that membership numbers are a bit of a pissing contest really.

Just want see the league take off a bit we have seen it produce Mooy, Singh and heaps of others hopefully it gets better 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, citypool said:

Good to read the club making effort with the membership this year 

Tbf the membership department has probably been the best performing area of the club since takeover, maybe the community work deserves a shout. 

I was a difficult sell especially last season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heartman said:

Tbf the membership department has probably been the best performing area of the club since takeover, maybe the community work deserves a shout. 

I was a difficult sell especially last season. 

The community work, our kick-start to the W-League, our Academy etc. etc. go right under the radar. These are the successes that make me stick with the club. We have five of our players in the latest U-23 squad. Western United poached three of ours - Pierias, Cavallo, and Delianov. All that's missing is success for the men's team.

It's all too easy - and I do it too - to lose sight of all the good things that come out of Melbourne  City.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

The community work, our kick-start to the W-League, our Academy etc. etc. go right under the radar. These are the successes that make me stick with the club. We have five of our players in the latest U-23 squad. Western United poached three of ours - Pierias, Cavallo, and Delianov. All that's missing is success for the men's team.

It's all too easy - and I do it too - to lose sight of all the good things that come out of Melbourne  City.

Just 'feel good' crap that means nothing.

Where are our men's trophies?

Oh that's right,

Zero A-league trophies.

We fail.

But at least people feel good I suppose.

27 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Yeah, I saw that. Id rather just a plain kind of one without a player. Oh well

I agree with you there. The risk with using player images is that one or more leaves the club. I would prefer a card featuring the club badge, the words "Member, Melbourne City Football Club" and then "Season ----------." K.I.S.S.

1 hour ago, HEARTinator said:

Not turning up is a crime but 10000 members and half turning up is better than 7000 members and half of them turning up IMO.

Harsh. Some people buy memberships knowing that they won't be going to all the matches, and they do that out of loyalty to the club. My wife has been very ill, and possibly won't make a single match in 2019-20, but I bought her membership as usual. I'll be able to fill the seat sometimes, but not always. Also the frequent shut-downs of Melbourne's train system don't help. We have four Sunday matches this season, and Sunday is the favoured day for trains to be replaced by buses on at least one rail line. There was one match last season where both the lines that I can use were shut on the same day. 

There are plenty of valid reasons why people are not joining up in the first place, and not always turning up when they have.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, citypool said:

We need to market more and have more of a presence in the city I know it’s afl town but we really need to hit at least 10k with members were in a big city 

We did have quite a significant campaign (bus shelters etc.) when we signed Tim Cahill, although I'm not sure whether that was City or FFA, or both.

The point about having a star player, or a number of star players, in the club or the League or both is not just about skills on the field, it is also that the marketing has a focus. For the past several seasons what have we had - club or league - that could serve as the focal point? As a club, how could you possibly use Berenguer and Maclaren as the focal campaign of your marketing - they are "unknowns."

The rusted-on core supporters will continue to attend. But to grow we have to have star imports. It's the way the entertainment industry works. David Villa and Alessandro Del Piero were perfect examples of how to put bums on seats.

• Like 1

• jw1739 pinned this topic