Melbourne Football

Memberships/Season Tickets

jw1739

I've managed to find only two on-line copies of the old Heart fanzine "Schip Happens." As a regular contributor I would like to find a few more - hopefully all of them. Does anyone "from the old days" have any links? Or old paper copies and who would be prepared to scan them for me?

Foolishly I discarded all my paper copies when the Minister for Home Affairs instructed me to clean out my study.

Hope someone can help me out. I suppose it's nostalgia beckoning. We've lost so much that was good about our club since the arrival of CFG.

Thank you. JW

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I've managed to find only two on-line copies of the old Heart fanzine "Schip Happens." As a regular contributor I would like to find a few more - hopefully all of them. Does anyone "from the old days" have any links? Or old paper copies and who would be prepared to scan them for me?

Foolishly I discarded all my paper copies when the Minister for Home Affairs instructed me to clean out my study.

Hope someone can help me out. I suppose it's nostalgia beckoning. We've lost so much that was good about our club since the arrival of CFG.

Thank you. JW

I am pretty sure I have a few older paper copies in my office somewhere. If I remember I will try dig them up over the easter break.

BTW, for anyone interested, here are the two that you can download.

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/view/10659321/download-schip-happens-volume-2-episode-1-red-white-unite

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/view/10659319/mate-dugandzic-likes-a-good-read-red-white-unite

What a great fanzine it was. They said we had no identity. How wrong they all were. Together with the photographs that KSK and others were taking, and our Yarraside boys, we were, as Sir Les Patterson might say "The best little humdinger of a club in the world."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

BTW, for anyone interested, here are the two that you can download.

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/view/10659321/download-schip-happens-volume-2-episode-1-red-white-unite

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/view/10659319/mate-dugandzic-likes-a-good-read-red-white-unite

What a great fanzine it was. They said we had no identity. How wrong they all were. Together with the photographs that KSK and others were taking, and our Yarraside boys, we were, as Sir Les Patterson might say "The best little humdinger of a club in the world."

I agree. 

But like match day experience it's what you make of it. 

I think one of the biggest problems since takeover hasn't been necessarily CFG but more so us fans/supporters/season ticket holders. Now this is based purely on my perspective but as fans we became lazy and self righteous after CFG took over. As a collective we have assumed that we are now guaranteed survival into perpetuity and it wasn't incumbent on us to work as hard to make sure we survived. It's as simple as, to me personally I don't feel the obligation to attend matches as I did under Heart. We we were complete shit under Aloisi but I made sure that everyone was on board and committed, our weekends were organized around home matches. Now and probably for the last season and a bit it's felt that way. 

Don't get me wrong the club should make it hard for me not to feel this way but ultimately it's me that's the issue. 

Extend that to the active the fanzine mags and even the supporters rep group,  if they really wanted to continue they would have even if the club was not keen.

I think we need a reason to fall in love with the club and team again and then build again to make it the club I think everyone wants it to be. 

Edited by Jovan
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

I agree. 

But like match day experience it's what you make of it. 

I think one of the biggest problems since takeover hasn't been necessarily CFG but more so us fans/supporters/season ticket holders. Now this is based purely on my perspective but as fans we became lazy and self righteous after CFG took over. As a collective we have assumed that we are now guaranteed survival into perpetuity and it wasn't incumbent on us to work as hard to make sure we survived. It's as simple as, to me personally I don't feel the obligation to attend matches as I did under Heart. We we were complete shit under Aloisi but I made sure that everyone was on board and committed, our weekends were organized around home matches. Now and probably for the last season and a bit it's felt that way. 

Don't get me wrong the club should make it hard for me not to feel this way but ultimately it's me that's the issue. 

Extend that to the active the fanzine mags and even the supporters rep group,  if they really wanted to continue they would have even if the club was not keen.

I think we need a reason to fall in love with the club and team again and then build again to make it the club I think everyone wants it to be. 

I agree with you in principle in putting in th effort to support and stand by the club. But I feel the part in bold is significant in this discussion. CFG have taken a lot of reasons for us turning up away from us. Secondly I don't think it's as simple as following City like we followed Heart. Firstly because CFG took Heart away. So a lot of people negotiated with themselves that if they were going to continue to support the change in clubs it would be under the proviso that they also brought a successful and exciting team to the table. I think the exciting part has been partially ticked because of our time under JVS. But now with no excitement, no success, no players to get behind, they have pretty much taken away a lot of what supporters looked for in the CFG takeover. So like you say we need a reason to fall in love with the club again. Its just damning that we have to search for reasons to do so. It reiterates  just how distant the supporters are from the club for having to do so. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, n i k o said:

I agree with you in principle in putting in th effort to support and stand by the club. But I feel the part in bold is significant in this discussion. CFG have taken a lot of reasons for us turning up away from us. Secondly I don't think it's as simple as following City like we followed Heart. Firstly because CFG took Heart away. So a lot of people negotiated with themselves that if they were going to continue to support the change in clubs it would be under the proviso that they also brought a successful and exciting team to the table. I think the exciting part has been partially ticked because of our time under JVS. But now with no excitement, no success, no players to get behind, they have pretty much taken away a lot of what supporters looked for in the CFG takeover. So like you say we need a reason to fall in love with the club again. Its just damning that we have to search for reasons to do so. It reiterates  just how distant the supporters are from the club for having to do so. 

Like you, I'm wondering why we fell out of love with our team. I'm reflecting on my experience of ownership changes of my hometown club in the UK, and realised they didn't matter that much. And because? Same name, same colours, same fans, same history, same heroes. Take away the name and the colours (and hence to some extent sever the link with the history and established culture), and have so much turnover that we never develop heroes, and the team has very shallow roots. IMHO, if we'd have stayed in red and white and being called Heart, the change of ownership would have been a lot less traumatic.

CFG don't do this (change name and colours) with new acquisitions, which suggests to me that they've realised they screwed up royally when they did it with us. But now they've done it, they can't go back, as they'd lose face. I said at the time that I could cope with the name change, but would never really accept the change of colours.  I still feel the same now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Like you, I'm wondering why we fell out of love with our team. I'm reflecting on my experience of ownership changes of my hometown club in the UK, and realised they didn't matter that much. And because? Same name, same colours, same fans, same history, same heroes. Take away the name and the colours (and hence to some extent sever the link with the history and established culture), and have so much turnover that we never develop heroes, and the team has very shallow roots. IMHO, if we'd have stayed in red and white and being called Heart, the change of ownership would have been a lot less traumatic.

CFG don't do this (change name and colours) with new acquisitions, which suggests to me that they've realised they screwed up royally when they did it with us. But now they've done it, they can't go back, as they'd lose face. I said at the time that I could cope with the name change, but would never really accept the change of colours.  I still feel the same now.

Nice article on kits

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Articles/History.htm

Surely we would never stoop to this level of ridiculousness!!

hull_city_1992-200px.jpg

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

Really the most sensible thing to do is to revert to the name Heart - it's worth pointing out that the "Melbourne City" IP case(s) are still going on, five seasons after the change, because of the challenges mounted by the club already named "Melbourne City" - and to our original colours, and for our owners to acknowledge that they didn't get it quite right when they made the original changes. Any loss of face would be very temporary, because these things are soon forgotten. If that is anathema to CFG, then the very least is to incorporate some red into our home kit - the discussions our gang has behind the southern goal are of the view that that itself would be sufficient acknowledgment of who we are, and I would be very surprised if it wouldn't quell a lot of the angst about our identity for most current supporters. Surely the gains would far outweigh a temporary minor loss of face?

More than anything though, I just cannot see in what particular direction CFG are taking Melbourne City. Management seems to be floundering in all respects. In that situation I cannot see that it is reasonable to expect supporters to take the initiative on anything when they don't know where the club is going.

• Like 1

My “contract” with the club changed when they made a heap of promises they didn’t keep. First and foremost was the colours (mini Man City), once they did that the message was clear that as far the club was concerned I was just “a theatre goer”, so when the club hired a manager who had no interest  in providing entertainment I felt no need to attend.Same as I have no desire to attend a poor movie.

of course I was a regular attendee though watching Teflon john’s boys knock high balls up to the shortest striker to start in the A League.

I feel no desire to change my attitude. I wasn’t the one who re-wrote “the contract”.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, playmaker said:

I would like to see the numbers of the full season membership as I am pretty confident the they would be closer to 7k.

The first "limited membership" offer was the "Kick-off" offer (3 out of 4 home matches), made on 9th October 2018, before the season even started. The membership stood at 8,010 just before that offer. The first home match of the season was on 2nd November - the membership was 9,170 at that point.

With a limited offer even before the season started it's hard to predict the number of actual full season-tickets. The best I'd want to do would be to say between 8,000 and 9,000. Only the club knows the truth. We also know for a fact that some members have actually cancelled but we don't know whether the numbers have been reduced accordingly. So 8,000-9,000 is the best I can do with the information I have.

The average attendance at the 11 non-derby matches so far has been 6,952 (last season the comparable average was 7,973, the season before 9,417); the lowest since 2011/12. All the growth in attendance since inception as Heart has been lost in the two seasons under Warren Joyce.

3 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

The first "limited membership" offer was the "Kick-off" offer (3 out of 4 home matches), made on 9th October 2018, before the season even started. The membership stood at 8,010 just before that offer. The first home match of the season was on 2nd November - the membership was 9,170 at that point.

With a limited offer even before the season started it's hard to predict the number of actual full season-tickets. The best I'd want to do would be to say between 8,000 and 9,000. Only the club knows the truth. We also know for a fact that some members have actually cancelled but we don't know whether the numbers have been reduced accordingly. So 8,000-9,000 is the best I can do with the information I have.

The average attendance at the 11 non-derby matches so far has been 6,952 (last season the comparable average was 7,973, the season before 9,417); the lowest since 2011/12. All the growth in attendance since inception as Heart has been lost in the two seasons under Warren Joyce.

Job done? Culture changed?

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 1

Will be interesting to see how much they bump up prices this year.

The price they charge for memberships is reflective of the football prestige they want to have but not the football prestige they have.

My view is they need to overhaul the seating map, our home end is embarrassing - scrap premium C and make it GA to help active generate greater atmosphere.

23 minutes ago, Deluka said:

The price they charge for memberships is reflective of the football prestige they want to have but not the football prestige they have.

My view is they need to overhaul the seating map, our home end is embarrassing - scrap premium C and make it GA to help active generate greater atmosphere.

The only issue I'd have with that is that to implement it they would have to break their promise of "a seat for life." I'm sure that if the club was starting again it would have a different approach to seating, but you're just going to alienate even more people if you take away "their seat."

30 minutes ago, Deluka said:

Change the coach and the home end will start to improve 

It's not just the fact the stands are empty but where they are empty. The southern end is a ghost town and both wings are completely dead - these are the members areas, the rusted on fans are bailing. People are walking out on the club in large numbers and they then pull this shit. We somehow keep finding a way to go below rock bottom

from someone on reddit 

35 minutes ago, citypool said:

It's not just the fact the stands are empty but where they are empty. The southern end is a ghost town and both wings are completely dead - these are the members areas, the rusted on fans are bailing. People are walking out on the club in large numbers and they then pull this shit. We somehow keep finding a way to go below rock bottom

from someone on reddit 

If the care factor is zero then you can always go lower in disappointment.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, HughJass said:

Yeah got it as well, haven't opened yet 

Yes, both me and Mrs F got one. I suspect this one may have gone to all members? And I don't think it's the usual questions. This is more about match day experience at AAMI. 

Edited by fensaddler

55 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Just did it. It's better than previous ones, although it needs to allow "not applicable" answers in a number of places. I made plenty of comments at the end. Hope someone actually reads it.

Final comment was" "Find a new coach". Looks like I won't be winning that signed Maclaren jersey.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Just did it. It's better than previous ones, although it needs to allow "not applicable" answers in a number of places. I made plenty of comments at the end. Hope someone actually reads it.

Indeed, it's difficult to have a view on facilities for children when I've never attended with children, just as those who don't use the club shop can hardly have a view on whether or not its any cop. 

6 hours ago, fensaddler said:

Yes, both me and Mrs F got one. I suspect this one may have gone to all members? And I don't think it's the usual questions. This is more about match day experience at AAMI. 

Did not receive but have sent plenty in years prior!

The new CEO in action I'd say. Effectively it's a cost reduction for a number of existing members and they're hoping to attract more members with the extension of blue down the wings. Had to happen. Good initiative IMO.

• Like 1

Desperation and damage control.

All he really needs to do is piss off Wazza and replace him with a good manager and piss off Petrillo and get a good recruiting, talent identification and talent management processes man because Petrillo has failed miserably on all accounts.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Desperation and damage control.

All he really needs to do is piss off Wazza and replace him with a good manager and piss off Petrillo and get a good recruiting, talent identification and talent management processes man because Petrillo has failed miserably on all accounts.

Nevertheless, it is a positive don't you think?

• Haha 1

• jw1739 pinned this topic