Melbourne Football

Memberships/Season Tickets

jw1739

48 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Mrs G and are are buying active this season as it's the only place in the stadium where you are protected from having visitors bogan supporters occupying the adjacent seats

Precisely! This no segregation between fans nonsense needs to stop. Football is at its best when you get to direct puerile abuse towards a concentrated group of lower class citizens.

Edited by Hughesie27
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, fensaddler said:

I'm glad someone else's phone suffers this weird ghost quoting thing...

Love this whole post, but you forgot to tell the OP (to whom also welcome as a fellow escapee from the old country) about the uniquely Australian experience of the beer shower if we score in the first ten minutes before everyone has finished supping their ale.

Ale? If only! Watered down lager more like.

Edited by illeatyourheart

20 minutes ago, Deluka said:

I imagine members will get discounted FFA Cup tickets or some sort of benefit, so this will probably be enough to get people to sign up who are inevitably going to become a member this season and who will be wanting to attend this match...like myself. 

Last season against phoenix members had the cup game included in their season ticket. Anything but this would be completely ratshit.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Last season against phoenix members had the cup game included in their season ticket. Anything but this would be completely ratshit.

FWIW I think they should do that again for marketing purposes BUT, that free ticket is absolutely not obligatory and the club is giving all its members a bonus by giving those for free. The Nix ticket wasn't included as such, it was added on at the time of the announcement as an incentive to get there. The entitlement attitude doesnt really wash imo.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, bt50 said:

FWIW I think they should do that again for marketing purposes BUT, that free ticket is absolutely not obligatory and the club is giving all its members a bonus by giving those for free. The entitlement attitude doesnt really wash imo.

It's not an entitlement attitude. It's basic decency. If you give something one year and then not the following the only reaction will be the feeling of loss and being ripped off.

It's going to be a midweek game and the actual crowd would be half that of a normal weekend fixture. So assuming we pull 14k for the first few home games this cup game we'll be lucky to get 7k.

And like you I think they will do it again. 

1 minute ago, Jovan said:

It's not an entitlement attitude. It's basic decency. If you give something one year and then not the following the only reaction will be the feeling of loss and being ripped off.

I think that's fundamentally wrong.

It's basically why governments end up fucked fiscally, because when people receive a gift in good times, they expect it no matter what.
We didnt pay for that Cup ticket last season when we purchased our memberships, it was a bonus. Thats what bonus are (or are supposed to be) : one off.

FWIW Perth last night only gave free tickets to members that had signed up pre July 20 as an incentive. The Roars clash v Perth tickets were $15 for everyone.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MattN said:

Sort of disappointing to see there are still many seats left in our active bays. The areas of seats behind the bays in "City Blue" are full (almost, sort of), presumably to soak up the atmosphere as opposed to being on the GA side of AAMI. Shame to see the Active zones not having great appeal, then again, who doesn't love a good beer shower followed by the home shirt being stained by a stray tomato sauce soaked chip from the kid behind when we score. 

Another advantage of city blue is allocated seats so you don't have to stuff about for the home derby.

Yes and no but you could also take the opinion that the Wellington match was RO16 and this is the final eight so the Wanderers match will be a superior match/product which we all know it is.

Nevertheless, it'll be interesting to see the pricing structure for the game. I would expect to see adults $20/15 and concession $15/10. Would like to see something like $5 tickets for members or something like that though, I think overall that would be a fair pricing scheme but also enough of an incentive for people to sign up ahead of the game.

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

It's basically why governments end up fucked fiscally, because when people receive a gift in good times, they expect it no matter what.
We didnt pay for that Cup ticket last season when we purchased our memberships, it was a bonus. Thats what bonus are (or are supposed to be) : one off.

FWIW Perth last night only gave free tickets to members that had signed up pre July 20 as an incentive. The Roars clash v Perth tickets were $15 for everyone.

There's two sides to this argument. We can look at free entry to FFA Cup matches as a one-off freebie for last season or we can look at it as an incentive to get more people through the gate, to buy season tickets, and to stimulate interest in the club for this season and into the future. Lord knows we need that. Even the advent of Cahill and the various PR events has failed to do much with our memberships except nudge the numbers up by 1,200 or so. What we need is ten times that.

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

They (CFG) have more to lose than what they could gain if they charge existing members at the gate.

They want to entice new season ticket holders and this being the first home game with Cahill they should be able to sell a big number of season tickets on the back of it being included the cup game. Of the already signed up how many would turn up to a midweek game? Max 5k.

So your point that it is fiscally fucked doesn't actually add up. (punn intended )

They will make more from including this game in this season's membership than they would from a reduced priced member ticket.

And also it adds to customer service and feel good factor that at this point of the cycle is very important long term.

4 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

I feel as if this question has probably been answered before, but can you be a member and not reserve a seat if that makes sense?

I won't be going to games this year, but i still want to be a member (if that makes sense lol)

I don't think so. The only thing you are actually buying is a seat. 

1 minute ago, Jovan said:

I don't think so. The only thing you are actually buying is a seat. 

Ah damm. I was just remember hearing something similar happening for footy clubs.

Like for instance even though Andrew Bogut was a member of essendon he didn't have a seat if that makes sense.

1 hour ago, kingofhearts said:

I feel as if this question has probably been answered before, but can you be a member and not reserve a seat if that makes sense?

I won't be going to games this year, but i still want to be a member (if that makes sense lol)

The problem is with your first assumption, we aren't members as A League teams are run by franchises not clubs. Therefore you don't buy a membership, rather you buy a season ticket. There seems little point in buying a season ticket if you aren't able to attend matches, at least buy a country ticket as it's cheaper

Edited by belaguttman

3 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

think afl members can do this, absentee membership
not on the site but probly worth ringing the club

12 hours ago, belaguttman said:

The problem is with your first assumption, we aren't members as A League teams are run by franchises not clubs. Therefore you don't buy a membership, rather you buy a season ticket. There seems little point in buying a season ticket if you aren't able to attend matches, at least buy a country ticket as it's cheaper

You're correct that we buy a season ticket to A-League matches and call it a "membership." However, that "membership" does get us into certain matches free of an entry fee - such as some pre-season matches, W-League, NPL, NYL. We can also enter competitions via City Points - there are probably other things too - so in another sense our "membership" is something more than just a season ticket to A-League matches.
FWIW I no longer support the view that we are merely franchises and not clubs. Just for argument's sake I'm pretty sure that if CFG decided to take Melbourne City out of the A-League and enter an East Asia Super League then we would be free to do that. There might be repercussions, but we could still do it. And I don't believe that FFA or HAL have any say in what we do with our facilities at City Football Academy. So, even though we hold a 20-year licence to play in the A-League, IMO we do also exist as a club outside of that.

I'd imagine that the franchise licence agreement will define what happens in those type of scenarios. We aren't clubs in the sense that we aren't members, we have no ownership nor say in the corporate entity that calls itself MCFC, we have no voice on the board, never will nor any direct voice to the Board. Our relationship is as customers, not club members. Our 'membership' grants us as much or as little as the management decides, if they decide to add free FFA Cup entry then we get it, if they decide not then we don't. There's no benefit that I can see beyond home ground entry and free admission to certain designated events

31 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

I'd imagine that the franchise licence agreement will define what happens in those type of scenarios. We aren't clubs in the sense that we aren't members, we have no ownership nor say in the corporate entity that calls itself MCFC, we have no voice on the board, never will nor any direct voice to the Board. Our relationship is as customers, not club members. Our 'membership' grants us as much or as little as the management decides, if they decide to add free FFA Cup entry then we get it, if they decide not then we don't. There's no benefit that I can see beyond home ground entry and free admission to certain designated events

You have basically described almost every football team in the UK and most of Europe. For many unless you are a shareholder your connection with the Club starts and ends at season ticket sales. They offer no special extras beyond priority sales for Cup and European games. For me that doesn't make them any less of a club. They have their say by voting with their feet and protesting against the board. Perhaps their 100 year existence allows for a bit of unofficial influence by the fans. No board is bigger than the club. Do you think things are different in the Aus "franchise" teams?

• Like 2

Yes, I think that things are a bit different here. The A League is a new creation, manufactured rather than evolved. In itself that's neither good nor bad but there's been a sudden disconnect with 'old soccer' here (for some good reasons) that led to the creation of the A League, but the teams haven't had that 100 year history of evolving out of community based and representative clubs like European teams do and that really influences our stakeholder position in relation to the game. I'm not sure whether you were here last year during the League-wide fan protests, but I think that that was a real reminder to both FFA and the franchises that fans expected to be treated as more than just consumers. The franchise arrangement in itself doesn't help with that unless a particular franchise is really switched on to the problems and works to mitigate them

• Like 1

1 hour ago, belaguttman said:

Yes, I think that things are a bit different here. The A League is a new creation, manufactured rather than evolved. In itself that's neither good nor bad but there's been a sudden disconnect with 'old soccer' here (for some good reasons) that led to the creation of the A League, but the teams haven't had that 100 year history of evolving out of community based and representative clubs like European teams do and that really influences our stakeholder position in relation to the game. I'm not sure whether you were here last year during the League-wide fan protests, but I think that that was a real reminder to both FFA and the franchises that fans expected to be treated as more than just consumers. The franchise arrangement in itself doesn't help with that unless a particular franchise is really switched on to the problems and works to mitigate them

Certainly sounds a lot different from the set up overseas. I wasn't aware of ththe wide spread protests last season however I absolutely agree that all FA's need to be held accountable by the fans. In 20 or 30 years these relatively new teams will be well established and bringing in their 3rd or 4th generation of fans. The community aspect will be there and plenty history as well. Fortunately you guys are getting the marketing right (other than the obvious takeover conflict) which should help build a decent core fanfan base which would help build relationships between the club and fans.

1 hour ago, hakz7 said:

I was so surprised that before last season, Sydney's record membership tally was merely 11,510 as they surpassed that just last year (not sure what they ended up on). Even we had more than that before them lol

52 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Boring as bat shit football that's why 

It also depends on what's counted as a "membership" and what's not. I think counting the 3- and 4- match "specials" as equivalent to a 13- or 14- match season ticket is just fudging the numbers. TBH I think FFA is indulging in a pissing contest with itself to try to make things look better than they really are.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

It also depends on what's counted as a "membership" and what's not. I think counting the 3- and 4- match "specials" as equivalent to a 13- or 14- match season ticket is just fudging the numbers. TBH I think FFA is indulging in a pissing contest with itself to try to make things look better than they really are.

Be interesting to see how the various categories of membership break down as the season progresses.  FWIW we've really appreciated the three match deals over the past two or three seasons, as it has allowed us to make some commitment when full membership seemed too much to commit to.  By last season we were up to two three match passes a season, plus other matches, and full membership became a no brainer.  It didn't cost much more, and we'd increasingly found we wanted to be there for every match.  So as a marketing tool, the three match passes are a brilliant idea, and a great way for engaging people gradually.

• Like 4

• jw1739 pinned this topic