Melbourne Football

Memberships/Season Tickets

jw1739

4 hours ago, KSK_47 said:

So I finally did it. After being a member since day one, I have cancelled my membership. Not in a sooky tantrumy kind of way. I moved interstate so won't be attending games and just don't feel all that passionately about this club so decided it was time.

*Now I am not a member I bet city win every game and play like Barcelona from now on

Thank you in advance, but me thinks its really @haz we need to get rid of.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, haz said:

Was our goal 15k or 20k?

Sorry, my bad. Total should have been 11,259.

IIRC there's a statement by Munn somewhere about 15k. Given that the number includes all the specials that were offered after full-season memberships were no longer value for money (November 2017, when the membership was about 10,270) it's a long way below target.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Sorry, my bad. Total should have been 11,259.

IIRC there's a statement by Munn somewhere about 15k. Given that the number includes all the specials that were offered after full-season memberships were no longer value for money (November 2017, when the membership was about 10,270) it's a long way below target.

Yep, ~4000 is not a huge number but when you take into account that we would have to increased members by ~33%, then you can see how much the club failed.

FWIW I think the damage was done last season. Anything this season will be recovery mode. Big if, if we make third, ACL and a final, we might see a difference in sentiment, because the club will have begun to deliver on expectation. At our best this season we've looked genuinely good. Conversely, and as usual, there haven't been enough of those good performances, back to back and consistently. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

FWIW I think the damage was done last season. Anything this season will be recovery mode. Big if, if we make third, ACL and a final, we might see a difference in sentiment, because the club will have begun to deliver on expectation. At our best this season we've looked genuinely good. Conversely, and as usual, there haven't been enough of those good performances, back to back and consistently. 

You also have to factor in the % drop across the league too in member numbers

12 minutes ago, haz said:

Indeed. FFA have hardly come to the party this season in terms of marketing or promotion, and that 'made in the a league' promotion has been pretty lame. FFA not bold enough, and focused on internal issues have let the A league rot on the vine. Plus, Sydney... 

9 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Indeed. FFA have hardly come to the party this season in terms of marketing or promotion, and that 'made in the a league' promotion has been pretty lame. FFA not bold enough, and focused on internal issues have let the A league rot on the vine. Plus, Sydney... 

The league is dying. And not until Frank dies too, then we will get no where

48 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Seriously, looking at those players in the commercial that were made in the A-league, why would you sign up to any membership?

1 hour ago, haz said:

Not necessarily. Which club has had an increase in attendance this season? Jets. Which team has played exciting football this season (except against us)? Jets.

The attendance drop reflects the lack of engagement by the League as a whole plus the lack of excitement on the pitch

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

I wonder whether "marketing and promotion" actually makes a lot of difference? Seems to me that you're either "into football" or you're not. I can get people to go to A-League matches sometimes, provided I use my vouchers to get them a free ticket or they use my wife's membership card if she can't go, or use some other freebie, but none so far have ever expressed any interest in membership (even though "City Blue" is ridiculously cheap compared with other entertainment options) and none would think of going to a match of their own volition.

2 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Not necessarily. Which club has had an increase in attendance this season? Jets. Which team has played exciting football this season (except against us)? Jets.

The attendance drop reflects the lack of engagement by the League as a whole plus the lack of excitement on the pitch

Yea we hear this every season.

I just want us to win, I dont care if we have 5 people attending or 50,000. I just want us to be succesful. Crowd numbers always annoy me because in my opionion (maybe unpopular) crowd numbers are just a media and corporate statistic.

Last season league average was around 12,500 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-League_attendance)

In comparison with some European leagues (https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/5xvzjq/average_attendance_top_20_european_leagues/) (sorry not the best source) we are higher then the Portugal, Belgium, Russia, and Swiss leagues. But are our teams better then theirs? I would say no.

Pretty much what Im trying to say is from my perspective as a regular supporter of a football team, I want success, I couldnt give a rat's arse about how many people turn up to a game.

4 minutes ago, haz said:

I just want us to win, I dont care if we have 5 people attending or 50,000. I just want us to be succesful. Crowd numbers always annoy me because in my opionion (maybe unpopular) crowd numbers are just a media and corporate statistic.

Last season league average was around 12,500 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-League_attendance)

In comparison with some European leagues (https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/5xvzjq/average_attendance_top_20_european_leagues/) (sorry not the best source) we are higher then the Portugal, Belgium, Russia, and Swiss leagues. But are our teams better then theirs? I would say no.

Pretty much what Im trying to say is from my perspective as a regular supporter of a football team, I want success, I couldnt give a rat's arse about how many people turn up to a game.

They're often used as a pissing contest between the various sports.

2 hours ago, fensaddler said:

I agree with this. Last season's capitulation was so dire that we really needed to start well. We started with 4 wins, normally enough, that the football itself was so dire that it set the tone for our season in the sports marketplace

3 hours ago, haz said:

If winning was everything then the smurfs would have full stadia. 

They don't

The football is suffocating to watch

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

2012/13: 6,583.
2013/14: 7,315.
2014/15: 11,759.
2015/16: 9,490
2016/17: 13,078
2017/18: 11,259.

Suspect that 16/17 was a result of the exciting football we played in 15/16, plus Cahill. 17/18 is back a bit because 16/17 was so disappointing. A good finish to this season will help next, but we might not fully recoup the Cahill effect. 

58 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

...with some panache

Haha true true

Idk about you though but I was more then happy when we won 4/4 at the start of the season. Mind you I didnt watch a single one of those games

On 03/04/2018 at 8:28 PM, jw1739 said:

2012/13: 6,583.
2013/14: 7,315.
2014/15: 11,759.
2015/16: 9,490
2016/17: 13,078
2017/18: 11,259.

It's interesting that people say a big name won't bring spectators when those figures indicate the opposite.

2014/15 David Villa

2016/17 TC

Without those two "aberrations" one could almost see a steady increase. 6-7-8-9-10-11 thousand - or do I have rose coloured glasses?

The final a-league.com.au "membership" is 118,418 (up 1,300) with most clubs showing an increase. It's only Adelaide who dropped by 3,000 us (2,000) and WSW (1,000) who kept it down. Funnily enough the Aloisi factor saw Brisbane's membership jump by 2,300. Heartening, but the total a-league membership could still be better.

4 minutes ago, mjake1234 said:

It's interesting that people say a big name won't bring spectators when those figures indicate the opposite.

2014/15 David Villa

2016/17 TC

Without those two "aberrations" one could almost see a steady increase. 6-7-8-9-10-11 thousand - or do I have rose coloured glasses?

The final a-league.com.au "membership" is 118,418 (up 1,300) with most clubs showing an increase. It's only Adelaide who dropped by 3,000 us (2,000) and WSW (1,000) who kept it down. Funnily enough the Aloisi factor saw Brisbane's membership jump by 2,300. Heartening, but the total a-league membership could still be better.

No, people say that the numbers won't be sustained without on-field success, which the immediate dip when those players leave/the sheen wears off would suggest.

• jw1739 pinned this topic