Melbourne Football

Memberships/Season Tickets

jw1739

10 minutes ago, Dylan said:

FWIW I looked back to last year and it seems they started sending them out on the 22nd of Sep. I assume its going to be the same this year.

Ive always found it to be a funny thing people get worked up over. As long as you can get in without hassle to the first game who gives a shit.

1 minute ago, bt50 said:

Ive always found it to be a funny thing people get worked up over. As long as you can get in without hassle to the first game who gives a shit.

It's only natural people get antsy if they have paid for something and not got what they paid for. Especially if the season starts within a few weeks. 

Just now, Jovan said:

It's only natural people get antsy if they have paid for something and not got what they paid for. Especially if the season starts within a few weeks. 

And, unusually, we happen to be not at home for a period before the Brisbane match. I've taken steps to have the mail looked after, but a little anxiety is perhaps forgivable?

15 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Sure, but if you will get it and you wont be affected by waiting until the week of the first game to receive it, why worry and go agro over it?

Just now, bt50 said:

Sure, but if you will get it and you wont be affected by waiting until the week of the first game to receive it, why worry and go agro over it?

I just get bored with the off season and wouldn't mind something flashy to look at to tide me over. But I agree, it doesn't really make a difference.

Didn't wanna create a match thread just yet. But has anyone bought active tickets for the derby with their membership barcodes today? It doesn't let you enter two different barcodes for the same transaction on the page so you can't select more than one seat. I don't wanna pay separate handling fees so was wondering if anyone figured it out.

8 minutes ago, hakz7 said:

Didn't wanna create a match thread just yet. But has anyone bought active tickets for the derby with their membership barcodes today? It doesn't let you enter two different barcodes for the same transaction on the page so you can't select more than one seat. I don't wanna pay separate handling fees so was wondering if anyone figured it out.

Hey man a mate had to call up because of the same issue, its sorted now because he bought the tickets over the phone

3 hours ago, Jovan said:

All those membership figures show is how piss poor the League actually is.

Not targeting anyone individually with this post, but for me it's more reflective of how piss poor the support in this league is rather than the league itself.

It's not exclusive to our club either, a large number of football supporters in this country seem to be more than comfortable to throw in the towel on their membership (or simply never sign up for one) unless the club is being run exactly as they feel it should be or is constantly pulling silverware. People are so quick to blame the governing bodies and clubs in this country for the lack of growth in the league, but at the end of the day if you're not willing to put your money where your mouth is and support your club in the stands and in the membership stakes then you're only stunting the growth of your club and in turn your own national competition.

Edited by Embee
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Embee said:

Not targeting anyone individually with this post, but for me it's more reflective of how piss poor the support in this league is rather than the league itself.

It's not exclusive to our club either, a large number of supporters in this league seem to be more than comfortable to throw in the towel on their membership (or simply never sign up for one) unless the club is being run exactly as they feel it should be or is constantly pulling silverware. People are so quick to blame the governing bodies and clubs in this country for the lack of growth in the league, but at the end of the day if you're not willing to put your money where your mouth is and support your club in the stands and in the membership stakes then you're only stunting the growth of your club and in term your own national league.

100% this. IMO you forfeit your right to whinge somewhat if you're not a member. Doesnt mean your opinion isnt right, but its hard to argue you have the best interests of your club at heart if you're not.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Embee said:

It's not exclusive to our club either, a large number of football supporters in this country seem to be more than comfortable to throw in the towel on their membership (or simply never sign up for one) unless the club is being run exactly as they feel it should be or is constantly pulling silverware. People are so quick to blame the governing bodies and clubs in this country for the lack of growth in the league, but at the end of the day if you're not willing to put your money where your mouth is and support your club in the stands and in the membership stakes then you're only stunting the growth of your club and in turn your own national competition.

You should name names on the next podcast ;) But completely agree. I have seen so many comments on how people hate 'franchises' and 'modern football' etc etc but then use bullshit marketing buzzwords like 'building a brand' and 'product' when explaining why they don't or won't sign up, go to games or to criticise a club :droy:

• Like 1

The numbers are what they are because the product is mostly only available through an overpriced pay TV subscription, and given the standard of the comp, which is generally sub-par in comparison to more well known leagues.  It is hard for a lot of people who love the game to pay money to support a restricted team in what they view as an inferior comp.  If FFA released the shackles and let the clubs have more options to improve the product and create a team that is genuinely competitive in Asia, support would grow much quicker, rather than the current slow burn. We would see higher quality players come into the game, lifting the standard all round.  

If the Socceroos do not make the World Cup, and the current limitations remain in place, growth in support for the A-League may even go backward, although the Matildas are a beacon of hope at the moment.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, bt50 said:

100% this. IMO you forfeit your right to whinge somewhat if you're not a member. Doesnt mean your opinion isnt right, but its hard to argue you have the best interests of your club at heart if you're not.

So for argument sake lets take a hypothetical situation.

A bloke in his 40s has grown up going to old NSL and has played regularly and continues to play and coach (not very well) has been an A League season ticket holder for six consecutive seasons even held a family season ticket but gets to the point where he's jacked off with the League and lesser his club decides to no longer renew. Has he in your opinion lose the right to criticise? 

Edited by Jovan
Fwiw I have renewed this season but it wasn't an easy choice and it's deteriorating.

9 minutes ago, Jovan said:

So for argument sake lets take a hypothetical situation.

A bloke in his 40s has grown up going to old NSL and has played regularly and continues to play and coach (not very well) has been an A League season ticket holder for six consecutive seasons even held a family season ticket but gets to the point where he's jacked off with the League and lesser his club decides to no longer renew. Has he in your opinion lose the right to criticise? 

Look he has every right to give up membership or whatever he likes, but imo loses the right to a certain degree of respect from paying members when preaching to everyone about whats good for the game etc. It's hard to take anyone seriously that wants to complain about the clubs, the FFA and what they are doing to the game when they have their own self-interest in front of the club to start with.

And look thats ok, some people are just theatre goers, some people lose interest, some have tight budgets, others have kids and family and can't spend the time there. Nothing wrong with any of that. But spare me the bullshit (not aimed at you btw) about not being fair-weather when you stop paying for a membership based on lists, league or club issues.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Look he has every right to give up membership or whatever he likes, but imo loses the right to a certain degree of respect from paying members when preaching to everyone about whats good for the game etc. It's hard to take anyone seriously that wants to complain about the clubs, the FFA and what they are doing to the game when they have their own self-interest in front of the club to start with.

And look thats ok, some people are just theatre goers, some people lose interest, some have tight budgets, others have kids and family and can't spend the time there. Nothing wrong with any of that. But spare me the bullshit (not aimed at you btw) about not being fair-weather when you stop paying for a membership based on lists, league or club issues.

My basic point is that after 30 years or more of time money and effort invested in the game at many levels this person has every right to criticise or whinge. And the put up or shut up notion is wrong in this scenario. 

Edited by Jovan
  • Like 2

• jw1739 pinned this topic