Melbourne Football

Memberships/Season Tickets

jw1739

Just now, Hellenic Hero said:

I think the marketing this preseason has been shameful. At my local bus stop, everywhere I go on YouTube, and even at Luna Park I've seen ads for Victory. Why nothing for us? Shameful

Tbh I think they are keeping their powder dry until the marquee is announced, then they'll go hard with whoever that is as their campaign face. A short and impactful campaign when the interest is there if you like rather than putting out meaningless ads now when people are still caught up in footy season.

As a besides, i dont know if shameful is a very good descriptor. I dont think there's any 'shame' in not spending money on advertising, its more a decision that you can be supportive of or disappointed in, but everyone would have different views on the cost-benefit tipping point of advertising 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, bt50 said:

Tbh I think they are keeping their powder dry until the marquee is announced, then they'll go hard with whoever that is as their campaign face. A short and impactful campaign when the interest is there if you like rather than putting out meaningless ads now when people are still caught up in footy season.

As a besides, i dont know if shameful is a very good descriptor. I dont think there's any 'shame' in not spending money on advertising, its more a decision that you can be supportive of or disappointed in, but everyone would have different views on the cost-benefit tipping point of advertising 

Hahaha I realised that, that's why I hid the post. A little bit too negative (I must be spending too much time on here lol)

39 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I agree. Victory are over the tipping point in terms of membership as a % of stadium capacity. We're not, and we're nowhere near it. There's no point in people taking out a City membership at this point in time. Unless we make a signing or two that really catches the public's imagination, anyone who decides that they really want to be a City member is going to be able to get a perfectly good seat right up the eve of our first home match.

36 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I agree. Victory are over the tipping point in terms of membership as a % of stadium capacity. We're not, and we're nowhere near it. There's no point in people taking out a City membership at this point in time. Unless we make a signing or two that really catches the public's imagination, anyone who decides that they really want to be a City member is going to be able to get a perfectly good seat right up the eve of our first home match.

Enter Zlatan !

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I think CFG have come to realise that it's not who we sign, it's what we win. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

^^^^^^^ This

TBH I am comfortable with our team list and any future signing will be icing on the cake.

Really all we need is to learn to grind out wins, which really if you look at last season, was the only thing separating us from the smurfs.

You eliminate our weak losses and we would have won everything. Don't forget either that we had the mental advantage over the tards and the smurfs early on.

If Wazza does tactically what we expect him to do then this season will be successful with our current starting list and the smart integration of our youth.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, playmaker said:

^^^^^^^ This

TBH I am comfortable with our team list and any future signing will be icing on the cake.

Really all we need is to learn to grind out wins, which really if you look at last season, was the only thing separating us from the smurfs.

You eliminate our weak losses and we would have won everything. Don't forget either that we had the mental advantage over the tards and the smurfs early on.

If Wazza does tactically what we expect him to do then this season will be successful with our current starting list and the smart integration of our youth.

Agree. Only Sydney, WSW and Victory can lay claim to having a starting XI in the same zone as us imo, an imo we bat significantly deeper. If we were to not sign another player I’d still be confident of a top 4 finish, especially under a half decent gaffer.

Nailing the last two visa spots will be the key to going from on a similar level to the others, to the best XI and squad, and most importantly, a boost to everyone’s morale after seeing what crummy coaching can do to a brilliant squad a la last season.

32 minutes ago, playmaker said:

So many things separated us from Sydney and a lesser degree Victory last season.  

27 points!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Agree. Only Sydney, WSW and Victory can lay claim to having a starting XI in the same zone as us imo, an imo we bat significantly deeper. If we were to not sign another player I’d still be confident of a top 4 finish, especially under a half decent gaffer.

Nailing the last two visa spots will be the key to going from on a similar level to the others, to the best XI and squad, and most importantly, a boost to everyone’s morale after seeing what crummy coaching can do to a brilliant squad a la last season.

Agree, but I still believe that the only reason we didn't finish in 1st place was everything to do with the manager and the culture and not the player list. (except for no CB replacement in January which was a gross mis-management of our list).

A lot is on Wazza's shoulders and what he can do, but the current list is good enough IMO.

7 hours ago, Tony999 said:

Why do these 2 factors have to be mutually exclusive.... 
It's absolutely about who we sign which in turn will give us the best opportunity to achieve the primary aim and the most important goal of winning things.
These 2 factors Co-exist 

Edited by InMyHeart
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

@Red or Dead has some great data though, covering every season, but these days young kids are chewing out all this spare time. Be great if he let some update it if he's too busy.

@ShahangaI have daily numbers for the past four seasons in a database built on to one provided to me by @mjake1234.

• Like 1

It's clear that when I calculated the reserved seating memberships a week ago the number of seats shown as "sold" by the club was well out of date and over-stated the actual number.

As of today 23rd August the number of reserved seat memberships in all sections is...7,183.

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

It's clear that when I calculated the reserved seating memberships a week ago the number of seats shown as "sold" by the club was well out of date and over-stated the actual number.

As of today 23rd August the number of reserved seat memberships in all sections is...7,183.

Shithouse. Fold.

• Like 1

On 23/08/2017 at 7:29 PM, jw1739 said:

Sydney already seem to have 10,072 and WSW 15,148.

30 minutes ago, mjake1234 said:

Sydney already seem to have 10,072 and WSW 15,148.

Sydney are riding on the wave of last season's success, and WSW have recruited well. IMO we've done nothing really exciting in the transfer market so far, and our memberships are expensive when compared with other clubs. I also suggest that we release memberships far too early - there was little incentive for people to sign up when we had just limped out of the finals and didn't know who our new coach was to be. Even now, with so many vacant seats around the stadium, what is the incentive to sign up?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

FWIW I had a call from the membership team the other day reminding me to renew my membership (I'm going to I'm just lazy and poor) and I asked how we were tracking. I was told that we are slightly behind where we were this time last year but not too far off.

On 29th August 2016 the membership count was 7,913. My crude "reserved seats calculation" above (does not include GA) is 7,183. So, our best guess is somewhere around the 7,000 figure.

44 minutes ago, Heart of oakleigh said:

I called the membership department at 11am this morning. The representative said that he couldnt give me an exact figure but were close to 9,000 members. Chances are that he is full of shit. Why dont they just put that running tally on the membership portal now. Theres only around 5-6 weeks till the season starts.

Are we accepting pet memberships this year?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Sydney are riding on the wave of last season's success, and WSW have recruited well. IMO we've done nothing really exciting in the transfer market so far, and our memberships are expensive when compared with other clubs. I also suggest that we release memberships far too early - there was little incentive for people to sign up when we had just limped out of the finals and didn't know who our new coach was to be. Even now, with so many vacant seats around the stadium, what is the incentive to sign up?

I think that last year's finals performance was very damaging for 'the brand', and it's going to take quite some convincing that things are different for people to make the commitment to buy a season ticket. It wouldn't surprise me if any poor home performance this season is followed by a larger drop in attendances. That isn't necessarily fair as any team will fluctuate in performance over the season but it reflects the team's reputation and the confirmation bias that will follow a poor performance

5 hours ago, Heart of oakleigh said:

I called the membership department at 11am this morning. The representative said that he couldnt give me an exact figure but were close to 9,000 members. Chances are that he is full of shit. Why dont they just put that running tally on the membership portal now. Theres only around 5-6 weeks till the season starts.

Memberships were launched on 6th April - nearly 5 months ago. I can't see what possible benefit there is to "the brand" by not having the counter working by now.

With "City Voice" dead and buried, and no up-date to my Citizens points since November, seems like the club doesn't really care much about members any more. Has anyone seen any reference to a Family Day this year?

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Memberships were launched on 6th April - nearly 5 months ago. I can't see what possible benefit there is to "the brand" by not having the counter working by now.

With "City Voice" dead and buried, and no up-date to my Citizens points since November, seems like the club doesn't really care much about members any more. Has anyone seen any reference to a Family Day this year?

What Family Day? I thought that passed a few weeks ago?

20 hours ago, jw1739 said:

You don't publish stuff that will hurt you. 

Low membership numbers discourages others from joining up.

9 hours ago, n i k o said:

Being a Melbourne team I think our standing is no where near good enough. 

We're in the shadow of the league's leviathan, and we performed poorly last season.  You could equally make an argument that both Brisbane and Adelaide should be doing better, since they have entire cities to themselves.  Having said that, we have fallen back in relative terms since last season, where we matched Sydney for memberships, if not attendance.   Relative performance last season explains that.  If we'd won the double, I've no doubt we'd be outstripping Sydney.

Edited by fensaddler
  • Like 1

• jw1739 pinned this topic