Manny Muscat

alexli

1. we need a defender , tick

2. we need someone with some mongrel, tick

3. we need some one not 35 years old, tick

4. we need someone with a solid non long term  injury record, tick

all in all a solid signing

He's not going to be poached by a bigger clubs, so not a bad pickup by the club

Perfect squad player, very versatile and can play as a bit of a 'Mr Fix it'. Turned 31 last December so he's not overly old but still has a heap of experience at this level and is a good leader. The article on the Phoenix website said he has just had his third child together wife his wife they wanted to move back to their hometown, Melbourne.

The fact he wants to move to Melbourne, we're an appealing club to join I can't imagine we would've needed to offer him a very big contract to get him to sign. Technically because he's coming from a different country can't we also offer out of cap extra's to help relocate.

Will be a very helpful player, especially if we can make the Asian Champions League next season, squad depth is absolutely vital.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bt50 said:

id suggest he's more there to add a bit of steel into our full back stocks tbh

Agree but not sure how he'll adapt to a possession/passing game

14 minutes ago, hakz7 said:

This is such an usual signing. Forget about his second name but... Why?!

EDIT: In all fairness, he's a player who can fill in at DM, CB and full back.

I've already got a chant for him - "he might be a Muscunt but he's our cunt"

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, marn11 said:

Convinced you would turn any signing into a positive one, Captain Optimistic. 

No doubt I trust CFG completely when it comes to recruitment. They'll have stuff-ups and times when players don't work or get injured, as does every club in the world, but overall they have been able to get in what we need for a good price.

On Muscat himself, my opinion of him hasn't changed; he's a bit of a hack, but he's an honest hack and will give you 100% every time he plays. Given Franjic and Zullo are much more talented but perhaps on the soft side, Manny adds a bit of cunt into the team that we haven't previously had. Depending on who your up against, cunty players are sometimes better than delicate ones and vice versa. It's just an extra facet to our side we didn't already have.

Also, FWIW I wasn't particularly wrapped with the signing of Bouzanis, although given it was January and there was no one we were going to get with better credentials for the minimum wage I can see why we took him. 

Edited by bt50

Decent squad player, probably not on much.

Only thing I'm surprised about is that most people are happy with this? Normally this is the kind of signing that people on here hate.

Edited by Tesla

Underwhelming 2 year signing. Another 30-something defender.

If he's a squaddie he's arguably a decent or good signing. However if he's going to be a regular starter, then he's a pretty disappointing signing.

I agree that the best thing about signing Manny Muscut is that we should no longer need to use up a Visa spot on the back four next season. With Chapman, Malik, Muscat and Clisby signed up for the next few seasons we should always have fit defenders and should never have to do things like play midfielders in defence again.

What's crucial now though is that he club can tie down a quality central defender for next season. Hopefully Wilko can continue to perform and the club can secure him on a new contract.

I'm surprised at you Murf, you're usually so positive. He looks like a serviceable signing to me - has missed only 2-4 matches per season going back to 2009/10. Reasonably versatile, not a visa player, and probably doesn't command a big wage. Not likely to be called up for any international duties either so will be available all the time. One of our biggest weaknesses to me is that we rarely have a bench that looks like it can add value in the last 30 minutes of a match (in fact, quite the opposite), but here's a defender we could bring on and actually add value, and can start as required.