Melbourne Football

The Gallops Only Thread

cadete

1 hour ago, hedaik said:

Colleagues got a new horse Kart em Around R2 at Ballarat today which is paying $100. 

He dropped a 100 EW on it so Ive decided to put 5 EW myself. 

I dont think I have seen a horse with worse form - Even for a Tuesday Maiden yet I am intrigued why they continue to persist with a 5 year old Gelding that's never come close to placing in seven races and after four spells.

21 minutes ago, cadete said:

I dont think I have seen a horse with worse form - Even for a Tuesday Maiden yet I am intrigued why they continue to persist with a 5 year old Gelding that's never come close to placing in seven races and after four spells.

Supposedly all/last few/some of its races all its wanted to do is throw the jockey off, new trainer has taken the tongue tie off and reckons he now has it settled. 

Unfortunately Im stuck in a hole now as soon as I don't put a bet on one of his shit horses it's going to get up. 

16 minutes ago, hedaik said:

Supposedly all/last few/some of its races all its wanted to do is throw the jockey off, new trainer has taken the tongue tie off and reckons he now has it settled. 

Unfortunately Im stuck in a hole now as soon as I don't put a bet on one of his shit horses it's going to get up. 

I will hit it up for a 5 each way out of curiosity.

Not gonna lie, jimmies are a bit rustled, but not really because I was seconds too late to get a bet on but more so because you guys put so little on.

Anyway, Cheltenham festival starts tonight for those that follow UK racing, plenty of money making (or losing)  opportunities this week.

Load up on Min in the first tonight, $3.25 very nice odds should be more like $2.

15 minutes ago, Tesla said:

Not gonna lie, jimmies are a bit rustled, but not really because I was seconds too late to get a bet on but more so because you guys put so little on.

Anyway, Cheltenham festival starts tonight for those that follow UK racing, plenty of money making (or losing)  opportunities this week.

Load up on Min in the first tonight, $3.25 very nice odds should be more like $2.

Literally put the last ten dollars on I had in my Ladbrokes Account which was money I could not withdraw... and I have never need some cash flow more than I do at the ATM TBH.

19 hours ago, Tesla said:

Im happy making $5 a NRL/AFL game from arbing, so it doesnt get much bigger than this for me. 

• Like 2

On 15/03/2016 at 4:08 PM, Tesla said:

Cheltenham festival

10/10 festival. At least one $1k+ winner each night, obviously some losers in between but still ended with a profit each night, and a big night last night to finish it off. Nothing like when I was winning $2k and $3k bets off of $30-60 odds horses almost every other day on Australian racing a few weeks ago, but that obviously doesn't last and personally I find UK & Ireland racing a hell of a lot more consistent, and I'll take consistency over bigger wins any day of the week.

Can't even be fucked with Aus racing today, just backing a few favourites at Rosehill to exploit the crownbet promo and enjoying my saturday.

Pretty excited on Saturday...

I have never won a Golden Slipper, every bloody year since like 2000 I have missed out but I kept the faith with Capitalist and ended up enjoying my bet from two weeks out plus the nine to one price I got for him on the day as well. 

Need more jumps races in Australia. 

Nothing beats your house running 3rd by 20 lengths and the first 2 horses crashing into each other on the last jump giving your horse an easy win. And nothing worse than your horse falling on the last jump when it's about to win. Excitement levels can't be matched 

• Like 1

Dubai World Cup is on Saturday, every race is at least US$1m, with the 3 biggest races being worth US$6m, $U6m, and $US10m. One Australian horse will be on show, Buffering.

Pretty interesting to see horses from pretty much every country with a half decent racing scene on show, since there are both turf and dirt races. Will have a look at the races closer to the day but US horses will probably do well in the dirt races, I don't know who the fuck even follows US racing since gambling is so restricted over there and I don't think there is much of an international following, but their horses seem to go alright in Dubai and the last time I bet at Meyden was a winning multi of 3 US horses (which got my betvictor account restricted, cunts. California Chrome who will probably be favourite for the main race on Saturday was one of them) so I'm pretty keen on the US horses.

Not sure why there aren't more Australia based horses sent over, I don't know if there just not good enough or it's just not worthwhile. There are a few that have been bread in Australia and then based in HK or SA though.

Edited by Tesla

48 minutes ago, Tesla said:

Dubai World Cup is on Saturday, every race is at least US$1m, with the 3 biggest races being worth US$6m, $U6m, and $US10m. One Australian horse will be on show, Buffering.

Pretty interesting to see horses from pretty much every country with a half decent racing scene on show, since there are both turf and dirt races. Will have a look at the races closer to the day but US horses will probably do well in the dirt races, I don't know who the fuck even follows US racing since gambling is so restricted over there and I don't think there is much of an international following, but their horses seem to go alright in Dubai and the last time I bet at Meyden was a winning multi of 3 US horses (which got my betvictor account restricted, cunts. California Chrome who will probably be favourite for the main race on Saturday was one of them) so I'm pretty keen on the US horses.

Not sure why there aren't more Australia based horses sent over, I don't know if there just not good enough or it's just not worthwhile. There are a few that have been bread in Australia and then based in HK or SA though.

They are good enough: Elvstroem won the 1800m race back in 2005 and he would have been an even better horse if he hadn't been worked so hard early as a 3YO by contesting the VRC Derby. So of course Winx is good enough to go over there.

The reason we dont send horses there anymore is because the Championships in Sydney are worth so much in the last couple of years (More than the Spring Prizemoney down here). The races in Dubai are worth more outright as individual events but Aussie Trainers don't have any travel costs contesting the expensive races in Sydney and can put a horse in two, three or four races in a row with very high prize money on any scale.

Also as you said the program in Dubai is half on dirt and one of the synthetic races is for Arabian horses only and things are not run exactly squeaky clean in Dubai. It just does make much sense to spend the money to get there and hit up one race when you can tackle three G1's in Sydney and not that much less money once the prize money is added up...

Also in breeding terms if you had horse that won Three Minor G1's compared to one major G1 the horse who won the three Minors is still going to be looked at as probably more valuable which is something the Sydney Carnival has always offered over history with the Triple Crowns for 2YO's, the Triple Crown for 3YO's and its long list of Middle Distance WFA events,

Edited by cadete

42 minutes ago, cadete said:

They are good enough: Elvstroem won the 1800m race back in 2005 and he would have been an even better horse if he hadn't been worked so hard early as a 3YO by contesting the VRC Derby. So of course Winx is good enough to go over there.

The reason we dont send horses there anymore is because the Championships in Sydney are worth so much in the last couple of years (More than the Spring Prizemoney down here). The races in Dubai are worth more outright as individual events but Aussie Trainers don't have any travel costs contesting the expensive races in Sydney and can put a horse in two, three or four races in a row with very high prize money on any scale.

Also as you said the program in Dubai is half on dirt and one of the synthetic races is for Arabian horses only and things are not run exactly squeaky clean in Dubai. It just does make much sense to spend the money to get there and hit up one race when you can tackle three G1's in Sydney which add to a horse's breeding CV and not that much less money.

I think part of the issue is there doesn't seem to be many good turf races in the leadup to saturday, I notice most the international horses running in the turf races haven't had any other race over there, while a lot of the horses in the dirt races have. So yeah it does seem like it's a case of it not being worthwhile if it's only one race they're going over there for. Especially while, like you say, there are good races in Australia, whereas for other international horses the Turf season is just starting now in the UK/IRE and while I have no idea about South Africa / Japan I can imagine there is probably not much going on there either.

Edited by Tesla

22 minutes ago, Tesla said:

I think part of the issue is there doesn't seem to be many good turf races in the leadup to saturday, I notice most the international horses running in the turf races haven't had any other race over there, while a lot of the horses in the dirt races have. So yeah it does seem like it's a case of it not being worthwhile if it's only one race they're going over there for.

Exactly, its easiest to assess by looking at our best horse's currently campaigning in Sydney.. Winx wouldn't run on dirt in the $10 million World Cup so she would have to compete in the $5 million turf race over a mile or the $5 million turf race over 1800m. 

Prior to 2014 when the Sydney Carnival only offered the BMW as its WFA Highlight of $1.5 million and over 2400m (Winx is probably better at around 2000m) and its most expensive non classic race in the Doncaster being a Handicap over 1600m worth around $1.5 million then Dubai clearly made sense for a Champion Middle Distance WFA horse.

Now the Queen Elizabeth Stakes which is in Winx backyard (Meaning no flight costs) over 2000m is Australia's richest WFA race at $4 million alone (Prior to 2014 it was only $500k) and there is talk that if she wins that and pulls up well due to being a mare and her having a favourable weight for her ability she may as well tackle the $3 Doncaster afterwards considering that she killed them in the Epsom last year.

If she managed to win these races she would be odds on to win... and add it to the Prizemoney of three races she has already had in her Prep she will have almost $9 Million in Prize Money and 4 Group One's and Group Two under her belt from one Carnival without having had to spend any cash on travel costs.

Edited by cadete

1 hour ago, Tesla said:

This is starting to become apparent, happily backing godolphin runners Marking and Tryster. 

Well it is an absolute Monarchy... 

Hence why I knew why these guys were not gonna give a shit about whether some fans in Melbourne said "They were never going to attend games of a team not wearing Red".

Mind you that clearly turned out to be an empty threat.

2 hours ago, hedaik said:

Cartem Around Boy going around again at Wangaratta on Sunday R5

Cant see any odds up yet anywhere, when do they normally come out? 

Check bet365, they'll be the first usually, and the only one that will do fixed odds on every thoroughbred race in Australia the evening before. Sportsbet are usually one of the first as well and usually also have fixed odds the evening before. But it's a Sunday race so a few should have odds up early, and probably earlier than the evening before.

On 27/02/2016 at 1:14 PM, Tesla said:

For those who are interested in UK racing, I have Grendisar for the winter derby tonight.

Only $2.20 tonight after the nice win at $4+ or w/e it was, and rarely would I bet on a horse so short, but loading up this time. 

Edited by Tesla

6 minutes ago, Tesla said:

I take it that it sells out a long time before hand which is why you're buying now?

Yeah, was less than 10 seats available in the Lawn Stand when I just bought them then. Going with the old man so not keen on GA, plus I want to actually see the race. 

Edited by hedaik
  • Like 1

Rubbish, rigged the draw and who knows what other dodgy shit and still can't win.

Nice win from Buffering though, flew under the radar being from Australia and also because he didn't have a run over there, but beat a lot of very good horses in the end.

On 3/27/2016 at 11:48 PM, Tesla said:

Completely forgot.

But only $3.70 this time I see.

Dam I was going to bet on it again but I was at the Inlaws... near Vegans.

23 hours ago, Tesla said:

Buffreing $13 in very early King's Stand ante-post markets. Trainer's do talk shit often, so we'll see whether that actually happens, but I don't see why it wouldn't happen and Buffering will be a big chance if it does.

If he goes there I think he has a very strong chance of winning, Australians have been dominating Sprinting for a fair while now... probably because nobody can be fucked anymore with being patient and training Stayers properly down here like they did in the late 90's.

The Bookies can not be looking forward to tomorrow... the Australian Derby seems a forgone conclusion, the T.J Smith a two horse race and the one race that they can traditionally hope for an upset in due to being a Handicap in the Doncaster also has an odds on favourite. 

If all of the above happens they will be fucked... in fact Winx winning alone could probably see the day written off.

Looks like a day for trying to get some value out of Place betting for me.

Edited by cadete