Melbourne Football

The Gallops Only Thread

cadete

The new Victorian official price is actually pretty good, TF percentages are ridiculously low now it seems.

My observations is that in particular it responds to drifters a lot better. It would be responding quicker in general,. I guess that's the point so the SP doesnt get left behind on ones that shorten last second, which is probably why the corps wanted it.

But when it comes to TF, if anything, it's too good. Not sure many are going to want keep offering it tbh.

6 hours ago, HeartinHobart said:

Bad bad day? 

I did have a big bet on but it didn't bother me from a gambling perspective that he lost. I was more disappointed because I wanted to see him win (aside from the bet).

I still think he was really a $1.30 chance (on all the information available at the time), but even those are going to lose almost a quarter of the time.

It wasn't that bad a day fwiw, not that a day is a meaningful period of time anyway.  That whole meeting was a shocker though. 

4 hours ago, Tesla said:

I did have a big bet on but it didn't bother me from a gambling perspective that he lost. I was more disappointed because I wanted to see him win (aside from the bet).

I still think he was really a $1.30 chance (on all the information available at the time), but even those are going to lose almost a quarter of the time.

It wasn't that bad a day fwiw, not that a day is a meaningful period of time anyway.  That whole meeting was a shocker though. 

I thought there was just to much discrepancy between him and Global Glamour, a filly that won probable Australia's premier 3yo fillies race just last prep. Anyway, i certainly didn't see a horse coming from a 7th in a benchmark 72 winning it.

16 hours ago, Tesla said:

Considering the best horse won the feature... I wouldn't call it a Shocker of a day.

It was pretty obvious from its effort the week prior it was not going to have trouble overcoming the barrier this early in the 2YO season.

2 hours ago, cadete said:

Considering the best horse won the feature... I wouldn't call it a Shocker of a day.

It was pretty obvious from its effort the week prior it was not going to have trouble overcoming the barrier this early in the 2YO season.

I meant for me it was a shocker, think Stratum Star was my only winner at GC.

Barrier effect is very overrated in general, nice profit boost for Houtzen backers because of it. I thought the #1 could beat it though.

21 hours ago, Tesla said:

I meant for me it was a shocker, think Stratum Star was my only winner at GC.

Barrier effect is very overrated in general, nice profit boost for Houtzen backers because of it. I thought the #1 could beat it though.

Barriers I agree can be made too much of in Classics like on the weekend.

However, they can mean a lot when the same horses face each other at tracks that bias Frontrunners. 

Doomben demonstrated this when Eagle Farm was being renovated with horses often winning from Barrier One.

You also see it influencing races at Ascot and Belmont and in Bigger Sprinting events at MV.

The dumbest thing is that the best track for all types of horses to have a fair go and no such bias exists is at Sandown which is on its last legs.

Edited by cadete

On 15/01/2017 at 7:28 AM, HeartinHobart said:

I thought there was just to much discrepancy between him and Global Glamour, a filly that won probable Australia's premier 3yo fillies race just last prep. Anyway, i certainly didn't see a horse coming from a 7th in a benchmark 72 winning it.

The times WR was doing (the real times were even better than the official times) showed him to be a fair bit better than GG, and it looked like WR was still improving.

I'll go as far as to say he is the best sprinter in the country.

It has come out now that he is having surgery, so it's looking a bit dodgy tbh and maybe he shouldn't have raced. But that's just how racing goes sometimes.

Hopefully there are no long term adverse effects, because he is going to win a lot more races if that's the case. The only thing that will stop him bar injury is when they decide to cash in and retire him.

Edited by Tesla

13 hours ago, Tesla said:

The times WR was doing (the real times were even better than the official times) showed him to be a fair bit better than GG, and it looked like WR was still improving.

I'll go as far as to say he is the best sprinter in the country.

It has come out now that he is having surgery, so it's looking a bit dodgy tbh and maybe he shouldn't have raced. But that's just how racing goes sometimes.

Hopefully there are no long term adverse effects, because he is going to win a lot more races if that's the case. The only thing that will stop him bar injury is when they decide to cash in and retire him.

Are you actually being serious??? Best Sprinter in Australia??? LOL

1. He has not even raced out of his own Age Group.

2. He has not even raced in NSW or VIC at all unless you include his barrier trials in NSW.

3. His best win was a Group Two as a 2YO in the Champagne Classic... which is a few days before the Golden Slipper which means that all the best 2YO Sprinters were in Sydney.

4. Contesting this race also means that his top Sydney Trainer thought he should avoid the best Melbourne/Sydney horses at Rosehill and also most Horses who do tackle The Champagne aren't Sprinters either as its race setup for 2YO's to progress to the 1400m and 1600m races that follow when the QLD Carnival really begins.)

5. His two Listed wins as a 3YO were in Magic Million lead ups which means the only horses plodding around at this time who might be good are those who were sold at the Magic Millions. Even then no Trainer will target the Magic Millions if they have a horse they think can do any damage in Autumn.

6. Finally how does the best Sprinter in the Country with easily the best Sprinting Stocks in the world not win the Magic Millions Guineas? Against a field that had to be brought at a particular sale, in an off period for racing and in a Classic over 1400m?

I am pretty sure the Sprinters who went around last Spring in the Group Ones would have been able to win such a race... and you are claiming he is better than them.

Edited by cadete

45 minutes ago, cadete said:

Are you actually being serious??? Best Sprinter in Australia??? LOL

1. He has not even raced out of his own Age Group.

2. He has not even raced in NSW or VIC at all unless you include his barrier trials in NSW.

3. His best win was a Group Two as a 2YO in the Champagne Classic... which is a few days before the Golden Slipper which means that all the best 2YO Sprinters were in Sydney.

4. Contesting this race also means that his top Sydney Trainer thought he should avoid the best Melbourne/Sydney horses at Rosehill and also most Horses who do tackle The Champagne aren't Sprinters either as its race setup for 2YO's to progress to the 1400m and 1600m races that follow when the QLD Carnival really begins.)

5. His two Listed wins as a 3YO were in Magic Million lead ups which means the only horses plodding around at this time who might be good are those who were sold at the Magic Millions. Even then no Trainer will target the Magic Millions if they have a horse they think can do any damage in Autumn.

6. Finally how does the best Sprinter in the Country with easily the best Sprinting Stocks in the world not win the Magic Millions Guineas? Against a field that had to be brought at a particular sale, in an off period for racing and in a Classic over 1400m?

I am pretty sure the Sprinters who went around last Spring in the Group Ones would have been able to win such a race... and you are claiming he is better than them.

1-5 - it doesnt matter who he is racing against when he does the times he did, if he is faster than everyone else then yes he is the best sprinter in the country, he just hasn't got the wins to confirm it yet. If anything, the weak competition meant he wasn't pushed, which means he is even better than the times suggest.

6 - As per my previous post it does seem something was amiss given the surgery (and there were pretty strong rumours on race day as well but who knows if there was anything to those).

I look forward to him returning and hopefully many people share your views so there are some good odds for him for once.

Edited by Tesla

2 hours ago, Tesla said:

1-5 - it doesnt matter who he is racing against when he does the times he did. If anything, the weak competition meant he wasn't pushed, which means he is even better than the times suggest.

6 - As per my previous post it does seem something was amiss given the surgery (and there were pretty strong rumours on race day as well but who knows if there was anything to those).

I look forward to him returning and hopefully many people share your views so there are some good odds for him for once.

Okay, so you believe that you are such a good judge of horse that you can proclaim a horse the best Sprinter in the land purely on the times he has run leading races against inexperienced horses at 3YO level, out of season, and away from Australia's Two Biggest Racing Hubs?

You do realise Horse Racing is not Little Athletics? A Sprinter has to better than just fast... there are a lot fast horses that never make it far past winning a few times at a City Midweek Meeting.

Not only this but Winning Rupert's bloody trainer does not even agree with you... he actually agrees with what I thought when I watched the race live and says he did not run out the 1400 metres out more than anything to do with his injury which is a pretty shit sign for the Nation's Best Sprinter if he cant run out 1400m against a Classic Field restricted to horses sold at the Magic Millions.

Even a horse that later becomes a WFA Sprinting Star (Which you have dubbed this horse is already more than now) who cant tackle anything beyond 1200m should win over 1400m against its own age in such a restricted race. In fact I actually rewatched the race over lunch and he was ridden like he was the best horse in the race, he was put in the box seat and challenged the leader in Global Glamour around the bend so he didn't get into any trouble and he was found wanting almost straight away and Global Glamour did away with him easily and that horse did not even win the race. 

An even shiter sign is that the Trainer has said he thought that the horse was a bit tired due to his program and that when he returns he will know only stick to Sprinting Races only and will tackle the "early" spring races in Melbourne. Which is basicly horse Trainer speak for:

1. The Sprinting comment clearly means that there is no fucken way they are ever going to try to race the horse any other way but in the lead, as its efforts at chasing down Global Glamour showed he clearly that he is going to struggle chasing at Listed Level in Sydney or Melbourne.

2. He can not beat the best horses in the Manikato or those running in the VRC Sprint (ie. the races the Best Sprinters in the land race in) so I am going to tackle the earlier Sprints in the Melbourne Season which will feature a lot of Middle Distance Horses resuming from their spells and some Winter Champions trying to prolong their campaigns.

3. Finally: The best Sprinter in Australia no matter where it sits in a race needs to know how to bloody dig... this thing probably lacks that from what we saw on Saturday.

Edited by cadete

35 minutes ago, cadete said:

Okay, so you believe that you are such a good judge of horse that you can proclaim a horse the best Sprinter in the land purely on the times he has run leading races against inexperienced horses at 3YO level, out of season, and away from Australia's Two Biggest Racing Hubs?

You do realise Horse Racing is not Little Athletics? A Sprinter has to better than just fast... there are a lot fast horses that never make it far past winning a few times at a City Midweek Meeting.

It's certainly not the only variable but it's the most important variable. Every successful punter I've come across who bets on horses in the market (longshots are a different story) relies on it and hence why there are people/companies who charge a lot of money for accurate verified times (official times are not accurate). As much as 5 figures a year for the best. Of course these then have to be adjusted for other factors/variables and compared to each other in some way, figuring that out is the hard part. Point is, time/speed shouldn't be underestimated. The fastest horse wins most often, and WR is extremely fast.

Edited by Tesla

15 minutes ago, Tesla said:

It's certainly not the only variable but it's the most important variable. Every successful punter I've come across who bets on horses in the market (longshots are a different story) relies on it and hence why there are people/companies who charge a lot of money for accurate verified times (official times are not accurate). As much as 5 figures a year for the best. Of course these then have to be adjusted for other factors/variables and compared to each other in some way, figuring that out is the hard part. Point is, time/speed shouldn't be underestimated, the fastest horse wins most often.

Here is a factor... this colt has been running good times against poor fields in QLD by leading against his own Age Group and then stretching out before the average horses its up against in the race can mount a challenge.

It won by 5, 5, and 3 lengths in the three races before Saturday but then when it actually tried to chase another horse, or likewise dig in when another horse was beside it the thing failed to make even an attempt to do so. Hence why the Trainer does not think its worthy of tackling the Nation's best Sprinters... because its not fucken Vo Rogue.

This being despite him being dubbed "The Best Sprinter in The Country" by the world famous Tony Puntana.

Edited by cadete

14 minutes ago, cadete said:

Here is a factor... this colt has been running good times against poor fields in QLD by leading against his own Age Group and then stretching out before the average horses its up against in the race can mount a challenge.

It won by 5, 5, and 3 lengths in the three races before Saturday but then when it actually tried to chase another horse, or likewise dig in when another horse was beside it the thing failed to make even an attempt to do so. Hence why the Trainer does not think its worthy of tackling the Nation's best Sprinters... because its not fucken Vo Rogue.

This being despite him being dubbed "The Best Sprinter in The Country" by the world famous Tony Puntana.

You need to calm down lol, this is exactly the beauty of punting, everyone can have their opinion and if they believe it enough they can put their money down and either reap the rewards of being right or bear the cost of being wrong.

If only the whole world worked like that, then I wouldnt have to read retarded shit on social media from collectivists all the time because they'd all be broke by now.

18 minutes ago, Tesla said:

You need to calm down lol, this is exactly the beauty of punting, everyone can have their opinion and if they believe it enough they can put their money down and either reap the rewards of being right or bear the cost of being wrong.

If only the whole world worked like that, then I wouldnt have to read retarded shit on social media from collectivists all the time because they'd all be broke by now.

Oh god again with the collectivists...

Forgot the Horse Racing - You dont even know a collectivist, a collectivist to you is anyone who lives within 15 minutes away from the city.

Edited by cadete

11 hours ago, Tesla said:

Apparently sold to stud for $9m.

Who would pay that much for a G3 winning horse, unless he does have ability far beyond what his wins on paper show.

Only you read such a sale this way...

If it was the best Sprinter in the Country as yourself as Tony Puntana himself has dubbed it, dont you think they would want to keep racing so they could sell it for over $30 million once it had won a Newmarket, TJ Smith and had a crack at Royal Ascot... these being the things that the Best Sprinters in Australia do???

No, it was sold because they knew it could never increase its value as a horse going forward when it tackled tougher competition. The same thing happens basically every season with half the best 2YO Colts when they dont do as well as 3YO's at Flemington in the Spring except they are sold for a fuck load lot more... and actually race in the Sydney and Melbourne Carnivals unlike the recently retired best Sprinter in the Country.

Also FWIW buying a Stallion to send to stud is far more expensive these days as their are a lot less horses to be brought because all the Super Stables just keep ahold of their best Stud Prospects which one reason for the price forcing the price of Stallions far higher than it should be...

Then the other reason for the inflated price is because of Australian's being desperate to buy horses who showed early maturity as 2YO's alongside the fact that lightly raced Stallions usually turn out better progeny faster due to have had less drugs put into them for racing.

NOTE: BTW why were you telling PPL just a couple of hours prior to the MM that they should get on this nag at $1.30 when you apparently knew rumours about it not be right on the day of the race?

2 hours ago, cadete said:

Only you read such a sale this way...

If it was the best Sprinter in the Country as yourself as Tony Puntana himself has dubbed it, dont you think they would want to keep racing so they could sell it for over $30 million once it had won a Newmarket, TJ Smith and had a crack at Royal Ascot... these being the things that the Best Sprinters in Australia do???

No, it was sold because they knew it could never increase its value as a horse going forward when it tackled tougher competition. The same thing happens basically every season with half the best 2YO Colts when they dont do as well as 3YO's at Flemington in the Spring except they are sold for a fuck load lot more... and actually race in the Sydney and Melbourne Carnivals unlike the recently retired best Sprinter in the Country.

Also FWIW buying a Stallion to send to stud is far more expensive these days as their are a lot less horses to be brought because all the Super Stables just keep ahold of their best Stud Prospects which one reason for the price forcing the price of Stallions far higher than it should be...

Then the other reason for the inflated price is because of Australian's being desperate to buy horses who showed early maturity as 2YO's alongside the fact that lightly raced Stallions usually turn out better progeny faster due to have had less drugs put into them for racing.

NOTE: BTW why were you telling PPL just a couple of hours prior to the MM that they should get on this nag at $1.30 when you apparently knew rumours about it not be right on the day of the race?

I'm guessing they expect he won't be back to his full ability after the injury and dont want to risk decreasing his price if that is the case, if he didnt get injured they wouldn't be selling him to stud yet.

As for the rumours, TBH I didn't really buy into them, when it's such a popular bet I can see those rumours just being made up.

Just now, Tesla said:

I'm guessing they expect he won't be back to his full ability after the injury and dont want to risk decreasing his price if that is the case, if he didnt get injured they wouldn't be selling him to stud yet.

As for the rumours, TBH I didn't really buy into them, when it's such a popular bet I can see those rumours just being made up.

FFS an injury to a horse at the end of its campaign which puts the horse back only three months is not a freak occurrence but a regularity... it happens to actual Star Group Performers every Spring and Autumn and the come back and win again. So such task should be well within the grips of Australia's Best Sprinter.

Hence why the Trainers view was it the races distance rather than the injury that saw the horse flop but then again you are Tes so you probably would know better than Bjorn Baker does about the horses in his stable. 

1 hour ago, cadete said:

FFS an injury to a horse at the end of its campaign which puts the horse back only three months is not a freak occurrence but a regularity... it happens to actual Star Group Performers every Spring and Autumn and the come back and win again. So such task should be well within the grips of Australia's Best Sprinter.

Hence why the Trainers view was it the races distance rather than the injury that saw the horse flop but then again you are Tes so you probably would know better than Bjorn Baker does about the horses in his stable. 

I dont think I know more than Bjorn Baker, but I do know trainers talk a lot of shit. Of course he won't say it has anything to do with the injury when just before the race he was saying how good a condition the horse is in blah blah blah, and of course he is going to say that before the race because he isn't going to say "the horse may have an injury but we're gonna have a crack anyway yolo".

Trainers aren't everyone's mate giving out reliable mail. Trainers are also going to always say before a race either "the horse is a good chance of winning today" or at worst "he might need this run" because otherwise there are going to be questions from the stewards of why they are running the horse in the first place, when in reality I'm sure they often know there is no chance.

But if you do care what Bjorn says:

The trainer said he was hoping connections would refuse the stud offer for the horse, saying he would be gutted to lose a horse that he reckoned could be a star in Melbourne in spring.

And he also said WR was the fastest horses he has ever had anything to do with. 

Edited by Tesla

20 minutes ago, HeartinHobart said:

Haha, definitely not. In saying that right at the moment after a disappointing spring from Chautauqua we are lacking an out and out champion. 

Yeah, but we are dealing with an expert here who thinks the below...

41 minutes ago, Tesla said:

But if you do care what Bjorn says:

And he also said WR was the fastest horses he has ever had anything to do with. 

That because a horse is "fast" it therefore going to be out and out champion, even though the only race the nag ever had to dig/chase in its flopped.

48 minutes ago, Tesla said:

I dont think I know more than Bjorn Baker, but I do know trainers talk a lot of shit. Of course he won't say it has anything to do with the injury when just before the race he was saying how good a condition the horse is in blah blah blah, and of course he is going to say that before the race because he isn't going to say "the horse may have an injury but we're gonna have a crack anyway yolo".

Trainers aren't everyone's mate giving out reliable mail. Trainers are also going to always say before a race either "the horse is a good chance of winning today" or at worst "he might need this run" because otherwise there are going to be questions from the stewards of why they are running the horse in the first place, when in reality I'm sure they often know there is no chance.

Yeah you are right: "He did not handle the 1400m, We will keep him to Sprints for now on" sounds heaps like dodgy Trainer talk that probably means that the horse not only "The Best Sprinter In The Land" but that there was secret plan to unleash the horses ability in the Cox Plate as "The best WFA horse in Australia".

Or "We will target the early Melbourne Spring"... fuck me a Trainer who says shit like this sounds like he is involved race fixing.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

Surely no better way to make money from owning horses right now than buying stayers from Europe, getting DKW to train them, and then just watch the wins roll in.

Especially after today's announcement that now the richest race in the country is a sprint.

On 01/02/2017 at 1:24 PM, Tesla said:

Surely no better way to make money from owning horses right now than buying stayers from Europe, getting DKW to train them, and then just watch the wins roll in.

Especially after today's announcement that now the richest race in the country is a sprint.

Yeah, I know and it's not like everyone has already been doing as such for over 15 years.

BTW u must be shattered, seeing as you could have used your sick winnings to buy a slot for Winning Rupert to make his claim as Greatest Sprinter In The World.

Edited by cadete

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

@cadete is it normal to have to pay a massive fee to enter a race? 

I thought for owners races were all about winning prize money and that money came from gambling, not from the owners of the losing horses. 

Must say I was surprised.

It has been done in different ways overseas in the past but not exactly in slot form... a week ago a race in  America was run using this format as its a very American type of thing as they have always loved the concept of Match Racing between their best horses, like what you would have seen in the film Seabiscuit. 

I am pretty sure however that this Everest race can not be classed as Group One due to its format of entry (Like how the Magic Millions races cant be graded) which is one of reasons for PPL being sus about the concept.

Personally I dont mind the idea because Victorian Racing has been stuck in a rut since its peak in around 2003... the VRC in particular just keep churning out the largely the same program every Spring regardless of the trends in the sport domestically and in the Asian Region and its showing in the drop off in attendance.

I thought when Sydney dramatically improved their Autumn Carnival a few years back that it would may have forced the VRC to rethink things but it did not so hopefully something as dramatic as this race will... I mean anyone can see that the VRC Derby and VRC Oaks have really lost a lot of their relevancy for one and yet they keep getting plugged by the VRC as major races.

(This is despite the fact that the VRC themselves will not increase the prize money for either race because they know its not going to force owners into entering their horses into career killing features.)

56 minutes ago, cadete said:

a week ago a race in  America was run using this format

There is an important difference though. The US race was something like 12 slots costing $1m each and then the prize pool is that $12m. Initially I was scratching my head thinking how does that work out for those owning the other 10 runners when you have California Chrome and Arrogate running, it seems like a losing proposition for those paying for the other runners to enter. What actually is happening is it's more like your buying a share in the race itself, as all the revenue is split between the 12 slots from gambling, entry fees, etc., and all of a sudden it makes a lot more sense. It's actually very smart and just so American. As one of the other slot owners you don't even mind having those two horses in the race because they boost that other revenue that you get regardless of where your runner finishes.

The Australian race on the other hand has the additional revenue going into the prizepool. So on the surface it sounds better, pay $600k (7.2m in total) for a $10m prizepool, but I'm not sure it's as attractive for those who are purchasing a slot for a lesser runner. I'm a bit sceptical TBH, but I'm sure Racing NSW know what they're doing. We will see how it goes.

Fwiw, while it's technically going to be the richest race in Australia, there really is only $2.8m that's not coming from the entry fees, so it's still not the same as something like the Melbourne Cup which has a large prize without owners having to take a risk. At least that's how I see it.

• 2 weeks later...

Lighting Stakes tomorrow....

If I had to pick a winner I would go with Star Turn, but $4.80 for the Quarterback to run a place I reckon has to be the best bet in the race... the wide gate should help down the straight plus the pacey horses are drawn inside.

He also placed 6/7 times when first up, placed 9/13 times at Flemington (including five wins) and placed 5/6 at the track over the distance (even won three of them)... so with the Distance being his major concern because any backrunner is going to find a Lighting Stakes very short.

Regardless seeing as he has the same price as the favourites have to finish first to run third - I reckon he is a decent bet IMO.

I already laced up both Star Turn and Flying Artie at 4.80 the other day (bet365 had $5 for both but can't get on). My expectation is that money would come for one of them at some point so I bet early which is unusual for me. On last check it hadn't happened yet which is a bit annoying. 

They're both a pretty equal chance but I'd say Flying Artie just if I had to choose one. I've backed them equally at 4.80  though.

Fwiw, I hate backing two horses in a race because there is still a good chance you'll lose and I'd rather lose on 2 races then backing 2 horses in one race, but this looked like am opportunity worth making an exemption for. Hopefully one gets up. 

Edited by Tesla

Fucking hell Centrebet running a 105% market, and letting anyone on to win $20k. I thought the day I saw that would be the day I quit betting on horses if the bookmakers are that confident in their fixed odds. But I wont lawl. That's insane though.

Definitely never betting early again on a G1 if Centrebet are going to come out with a 105% market at 10am.

Edited by Tesla

4 hours ago, HeartinHobart said:

So effectively you've backed the 3yos at $2.40. Not sure I'd be be taking that but good luck to you. If Speith was from a big Sydney stable (Waller, O Shea Waterhouse) I think he'd be a clear favourite. Happy to be on him. 

Meh, if neither win it still wont be my biggest loss today :up: 

Speith is unders at $5 for me but has a good chance none the less, good luck. Hard race with plenty of chances.

Edited by Tesla