Melbourne Football

The Gallops Only Thread

cadete

Considering what the Punting Thread has evolved into I thought I would create this thread for those interested in just discussing Horse Racing, and maybe occasionally Trots and Dogs (Even though I stay clear of dogs these days).

Who are PPL keen on for The Diamond?

Personally, I think Extreme Choice has enough Gate Speed that it is still likely he could still grab the lead without too much hassle from the wide gate to hopefully lead them down the hill and give the others too much to chase at the bend.

Obviously, the concerns are whether he is really only a 1000m-1100m horse or if he gets caught in a fight early... but such are the unknowns of The Diamond.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

I changed my mind about the 30 mins between races, definitely better, but moving Saturdays back to 40 mins is also the right move.

I like that RV are trying to innovate, first with the live streaming and now with this.

The other states are honestly going to get left behind. Only good thing the other states seem to have done is the minimum bet laws Racing NSW implemented, but that just helps serious punters and doesn't do anything for the popularity of the sport like the stuff RV has done.

52 minutes ago, cadete said:

You can chat dogs...

But I have personally lost interest in the Industry myself for pretty obvious reasons.

What happened with your dog? 

3 hours ago, Tesla said:

I changed my mind about the 30 mins between races, definitely better, but moving Saturdays back to 40 mins is also the right move.

I like that RV are trying to innovate, first with the live streaming and now with this.

The other states are honestly going to get left behind. Only good thing the other states seem to have done is the minimum bet laws Racing NSW implemented, but that just helps serious punters and doesn't do anything for the popularity of the sport like the stuff RV has done.

What happened with your dog? 

The RV Racing Channel is a big risk because of the age of most Punters... the sport needs more young fans and of both sexes.

TBH I think Gallops is in a bit difficult period in appealing to younger people and that included the girls I went to college with who were all very keen on attending the Big Days and the crowds were indicative of this with 150 PPL going to Derby Day and once even something like 120 for Oaks Day which has a terrible Race Card.

Now things have changed and a lot of young PPL want nothing to do with Racing for a combination of reasons: Animal Cruelty, Gambling Adverts Everywhere, and probably a move away from the Designer Fashion Trends of the early 2000's which fitted in with the Poshness of the sport to the whole Hipster Indie Movement which it does not fit.

The other thing is that Ownership is very different now, it is now bloody rare to see a City Horse running in Colours you do not already know with because they are all owned my Trainer run Syndicates or a handful of Rich Guys (Who horses form the bulk of a Trainers Stable).

When Syndications first came in PPL thought they were great bringing the common person into being able to Own a horse but in reality they allow a lot PPL who dont know much about Racing to be done over at Auctions but PPL who are supposed being helping them but really just caring about commisons fees.

The dog ended up being fast out the box but unable to maintain speed even as a Sprinter, she also had an issue with biting other dogs... she is now a pet and I am kind of glad this ended up happening after the baiting shit.

Am I the only one who gets really confused by UAE racing.

Obviously the people in charge don't give a fuck and are probably doing lines of coke off a hooker's ass in between $1m bets, but given they have to maintain an ultra conservative Islamic society which outlaws gambling for most people I find it all quite strange.

Because there are crowd noises, so people are actually watching the races. And yeah you could make an argument that "you don't need to gamble to enjoy racing", but there are cheers when a horse wins. Who the fuck cheers unless they have money on?

I certainly don't discount the idea that they might just be paying people to attend and cheer etc, but I still doubt it.

Could also just be fake sounds I suppose, because you never see a lot of people.

Dunno, whole thing is strange.

58 minutes ago, Tesla said:

Am I the only one who gets really confused by UAE racing.

Obviously the people in charge don't give a fuck and are probably doing lines of coke off a hooker's ass in between $1m bets, but given they have to maintain an ultra conservative Islamic society which outlaws gambling for most people I find it all quite strange.

Because there are crowd noises, so people are actually watching the races. And yeah you could make an argument that "you don't need to gamble to enjoy racing", but there are cheers when a horse wins. Who the fuck cheers unless they have money on?

I certainly don't discount the idea that they might just be paying people to attend and cheer etc, but I still doubt it.

Could also just be fake sounds I suppose, because you never see a lot of people.

Dunno, whole thing is strange.

No, you are the only person who is watching UAE Racing.

1 hour ago, cadete said:

No, you are the only person who is watching UAE Racing.

Lol, it's not like it's harness racing from Finland like I see on sky racing sometimes.

Whenever there is a meet it would generally be the biggest racing meet in the world on that day. 

5 minutes ago, Tesla said:

Lol, it's not like it's harness racing from Finland like I see on sky racing sometimes.

Whenever there is a meet it would generally be the biggest racing meet in the world on that day. 

Obviously it holds the world's richest Race and Race Day, but you have to be pretty keen to punt on anything to look at horses running in the desert on the other side of the world... what do you do bet on the King's horses?

I have been following Horse Racing in Australia since I was like 9 or 10 in the early 90's and I have never been tempted to look at the form and bet in Dubai...

Edited by cadete

37 minutes ago, cadete said:

Obviously it holds the world's richest Race and Race Day, but you have to be pretty keen to punt on anything to look at horses running in the desert on the other side of the world... what do you do bet on the King's horses?

I have been following Horse Racing in Australia since I was like 9 or 10 in the early 90's and I have never been tempted to look at the form and bet in Dubai...

Well I don't know about 90% of what goes on there either but right now it's their carnival hence why there is some notable racing in the lead up to the world cup. 

Rest of the year it may just be local horses, but a lot of 'local' horses transfer there from Europe so not really local horses. 

On 23/02/2016 at 9:11 AM, cadete said:

Who are PPL keen on for The Diamond?

No value picks in this race so I won't be betting, but Extreme Choice should win, it's just too short for me to back with such a large field.

For those who are interested in UK racing, I have Grendisar for the winter derby tonight.

Edited by Tesla

On 2/26/2016 at 6:17 PM, Tesla said:

Well I don't know about 90% of what goes on there either but right now it's their carnival hence why there is some notable racing in the lead up to the world cup. 

Rest of the year it may just be local horses, but a lot of 'local' horses transfer there from Europe so not really local horses. 

If you really want to improve your racing conversational skills... I would start but not constantly using the words Faggots and Cunts to describe other punters/people in general. You sound like Abs TBH.

So we move on to Slipper Calculations...

Well Extreme Choice got the jump and was able to sit near the speed and take out The Diamond, obviously those who are saying Flying Artie's Barrier cost him the race is pretty decent assumption. Mind you EC still won by a couple of lengths and had to sit four wide the whole race and its not like FA has jumped well in its previous races so it was always going to have chase him down the straight plus EC ran an extremely good time.

I think EC two knocks going into the Slipper and the Future is that: One: Clearly his greatest asset is his early maturity rather than genuine racing ability and Two: It is fairly obvious that going forward (Unless he is retired after winning The Slipper being a Colt) that 1200m is going to be as far as he can handle and TBH I can not see him if ever did continue as a 3YO being a horse that could seriously threaten at Group Level any further than 1200m... in fact he looks more 1000m to 1100m type going into next season.

FC on the other hand doesn't really know what he is doing yet and with more luck could still have won a Blue Diamond whilst still so green. He has not been nominated for the Slipper but now with another race under his belt you have to say the more gruelling 1200m in the Slipper and most likely a better barrier than he got in the Diamond means if he does become a late entry there is a lot of upside.

Personally I still think Capitalist is the one to bet, obviously he has not been up against as good horses and his Magic Millions time was slower than EC's Diamond time but Shinn has not pressed his Slipper Button in anything from his trials against older horses or in the races he has won easily. I am tempted to take his odds right now because if he does the same on the weekend he will be the hot favourite again. Of course some Sydney Slipper Favourites have been found out badly two weeks before but if does more of the same effortless peeling of from midfield runs he has shown us so far I could see him being even a chance for the Triple Crown if they chose to go that way.

On 5 March 2016 at 4:56 PM, carlings said:

Extreme Choice into $2.70 already for the slipper. Was $3.80 just the other day. Serves me right for not backing him straight after the blue diamond? Has anyone been to Rosehill before?

Yes.

It's like an Oasis of Wealthy People  in the middle of WSW fan territory and takes ages to get too from Sydney CBD.

It's a fairly large track infrastructure wise... Probably the same as Caulfield but the Grandstand and grounds are pretty ugly and Sandown like.

However, the view of the races (last bend and track) from the Members section of the Grandstand is probably the best in Australia. (Also generally there is no track bias).

What form guide do people use?

Ideally I want something where I can click on a past race in a horses' form guide and then it pulls up the form guide for that previous race. So I can see who they were racing, ratings of all the horses in that race, etc. 

While I'm here, a good blackbooker coming up on Friday. Waving, Cranbourne race 4. Look for $10+ odds.

Edited by Tesla

1 hour ago, Tesla said:

What form guide do people use?

Ideally I want something where I can click on a past race in a horses' form guide and then it pulls up the form guide for that previous race. So I can see who they were racing, ratings of all the horses in that race, etc. 

While I'm here, a good blackbooker coming up on Friday. Waving, Cranbourne race 4. Look for $10+ odds.

The best was what was provided in the old TVN/Best Bets App because you received a User Friendly Best Bets Guide for a few dollars a month alongside live racing... since then nobody has really maden up for its absence digitally. 

So if I really wanted to do serious form I would buy the paper version of Best Bets TBH... but I only get to watch one or two races on a Saturday these days and I dont need anything more that Stat form for these races as I have read the newspaper articles that around before a Feature Event.

Edited by cadete

23 minutes ago, cadete said:

The best was what was provided in the old TVN/Best Bets App because you received a User Friendly Best Bets Guide for a few dollars a month alongside live racing... since then nobody has really maden up for its absence digitally. 

So if I really wanted to do serious form I would buy the paper version of Best Bets TBH... but I only get to watch one or two races on a Saturday these days and I dont need anything more that Stat form for these races as I have read the newspaper articles that around before a Feature Event.

Yeah I really need something digital tbh. I don't understand how there really isn't even one really good one.

Best is probably on punters.com.au, but even though they have all these advanced features that I don't even need they don't have a link to the previous race form guides for a horse which should be such a basic feature.

They even keep the past form guides on their site, so you can track it down, but idk why they just dont link to the race when they display the past races for a horse.

Edited by Tesla

33 minutes ago, Tesla said:

Yeah I really need something digital tbh. I don't understand how there really isn't even one really good one.

Best is probably on punters.com.au, but even though they have all these advanced features that I don't even need they don't have a link to the previous race form guides for a horse which should be such a basic feature.

They even keep the past form guides on their site, so you can track it down, but idk why they just dont link to the race when they display the past races for a horse.

Digital Services tend to open windows for individual horses... it would be better if they just had each horse listed and their last four starts together so you dont have to reopen a new window for each horse.

Horse Racing is just hobby for me and I realised obv a long time ago there so much luck involved so sometimes I CBF with so much effort to get such content because I have seen almost all the best get beaten at least once barring Black Caviar, The Diva at her end and of course Colts that only ever race four times before being retired.

Edited by cadete

2 minutes ago, cadete said:

Digital Services tend to open windows for individual horses... it would be better if they just had each horse listed and their last four starts together so you dont have to reopen a new window for each horse.

Horse Racing is just hobby for me and I realised obv a long time ago there so much luck involved so sometimes I CBF with so much effort to get such content because I have seen almost all the best get beaten at least once barring Black Caviar, The Diva at her end and of course Colts that only ever race four times before being retired.

Check out the one on punters.com.au, it doesn't open different windows and has a bunch of advanced stuff while still being quite compact and well designed. Just missing the one quite basic thing I really want, and it also doesn't really have much comments if that's what you're after. They also have a printable copy if you want to take one to the races and they have an app too but i've never used it.

8 minutes ago, Tesla said:

Check out the one on punters.com.au, it doesn't open different windows and has a bunch of advanced stuff while still being quite compact and well designed. Just missing the one quite basic thing I really want, and it also doesn't really have much comments if that's what you're after. They also have a printable copy if you want to take one to the races and they have an app too but i've never used it.

Yeah, I tried that App... it was not great but it may have changed.

Sometimes if I am going to the Races to purely punt and watch and not for social reasons I think its worth just buying the Sun as the Comments are the longest and best and their Tipsters are the best. Hence they work for the Sun which has the most popular Form Guide in Australia than elsewhere.

BTW I find the comments on Ladbrokes fucken frustrating, in some races they say the same thing about a third of the field... it reminds me of my Fat Year Nine Media Teachers School Reports. Where he just chose PPL's marks and comment (from a selection of four Cut and Copy jobs) at random because he could not assess us since when all we did was watch TV.

The bloke always gave me a fucken "C" and back then I was actually thinking of Journalism as Uni Option so my parents would also say "How can you get a C in Media", and then later on I would have to serve him at Coles every Thursday Night as he and his Fat Lookalike Wife unloaded half of the confectionary aisle on my Checkout Counter. 

Edit: The Ladbrokes Infohub Feature also shits me.

Edited by cadete

15 minutes ago, cadete said:

Yeah, I tried that App... it was not great but it may have changed.

Sometimes if I am going to the Races to purely punt and watch and not for social reasons I think its worth just buying the Sun as the Comments are the longest and best and their Tipsters are the best. Hence they work for the Sun which has the most popular Form Guide in Australia than elsewhere.

BTW I find the comments on Ladbrokes fucken frustrating, in some races they say the same thing about a third of the field... it reminds me of my Fat Year Nine Media Teachers School Reports. Where he just chose PPL's marks and comment (from a selection of four Cut and Copy jobs) at random because he could not assess us since when all we did was watch TV.

The bloke always gave me a fucken "C" and back then I was actually thinking of Journalism as Uni Option so my parents would also say "How can you get a C in Media", and then later on I would have to serve him at Coles every Thursday Night as he and his Fat Lookalike Wife unloaded half of the confectionary aisle on my Checkout Counter. 

Edit: The Ladbrokes Infohub Feature also shits me.

The app might be more basic, I only use the site.

The herald sub stuff you can get online as well. I agree on their tipsters, when I first started betting on races just to exploit promotions and didn't know what I was doing I looked at those a fair bit and noticed a couple of thing:

1. If they are all tipping the same horse on a big race then it's very likely to win (obviously this is a very short horse anyway so it doesn't mean much).

2. However, if there is a very short horse in a big race and they aren't all tipping it, then stay away from it (it did seem like a lot of these favourites got rolled)

3. If even one guy is tipping a horse at longer odds (like $10+), back it. Noticed a very good strike rate with these.

Anyway, that's just some patterns I noticed, it's not like I looked at 100s of races they were tipping so the sample size is small, but I seemed to go okay for a while following those patterns. Can't say I've looked at their tips in a long time though.

On 09/03/2016 at 2:22 PM, Tesla said:

Lol well the opening odds a few bookies had were about that much so they were thinking along the lines I was but the market soon smashed it to $2.30. Surprised it's such a favourite, but should get the job done. Don't know if I want to bet at those odds though, maybe a little bit as I also like an outsider (#5)

Edited by Tesla

10 minutes ago, hedaik said:

Somebody give me a sure thing for flemington tomorrow

Looking at Chautauqua

I'll put my neck out and give my top selection in each race

R1 So Serene

R2 Hot Dipped

R3 Brockhoff

R4 He Or She

R5 Egypt

R6 Chautauqua

R7 Bow Creek