Melbourne Football

RD 20: CCM at home

Dylan

Sunday 5pm. Back to our usual timeslot, although we normally get decent crowds for it. 

Tuna needs a hatrick before me marquee him ;)

Would also like to see a return to a 3-5-2 Novillo, I think Wilko could go a long way to making that formation work.

Edited by Dylan

4 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

I am not optimistic about this game. Last night's match was a tiring, bruising encounter for both sides. The players left everything on the field. So I expect the team to be sluggish and ripe for the picking. For that matter I expect MV to lose as well.

Very true about the team most likely being sluggish against CCM, I expect Zullo, Wilko, Tuna, Novillo and Mooy to all perform well though.

2 hours ago, Dylan said:

Sunday 5pm. Back to our usual timeslot, although we normally get decent crowds for it. 

Tuna needs a hatrick before me marquee him ;)

Would also like to see a return to a 3-5-2 Novillo, I think Wilko could go a long way to making that formation work.

A big no to 2 Up front. Too easy to get 4 defenders around Tuna. In addition I thought Fitzy was really good, terrorised his man, no way would I drop him.

Wilko will also go a long way to getting any other formation work too.

i am also looking forward to watching Luis Garcia weave his magic. 

Melbourne City has 8 days to recover, and the team is playing in Melbourne at AAMI again. So I'm pretty confident that the team won't be sluggish and will be close enough to 100%.

The next 2 matches are must win IMO, if the team has ambitions to compete for a trophy or finish top 2. These two matches are eminently winnable, and now it's up to the team.

I'd like to see the same starting lineup, with Melling in for Caceres (forced change) and Zullo in for Garuccio. I reckon Zullo would help Novillo a lot; they combine well, and with Zullo bombing down the wing that would allow Novillo to drift inside and be more dangerous.

Should be a real entertaining match, with the positive approaches of both Melbourne City and Central Coast. Also Luis Garcia should provide some entertainment, and it wouldn't surprise me if he was a good crowd puller.

Edited by Murfy1

Sorensen

Franjic      -      Kisnorbo      -      Wilko      -      Zullo

Malik         -         Melling
Mooy

Fitzgerald               -               Novillo
Fornaroli

Bench: Bouzanis, Clisby, Garuccio, Retre, Kuzmanovski/Dekker/Zinni

No room for Hughes with Wilko in the side and an improving Clisby providing cover as CB if needed.

6 minutes ago, Red or Dead said:

Sorensen

Mooy

Fornaroli

No room for Hughes with Wilko in the side and an improving Clisby providing cover as CB if needed.

Probably this, although I'd prefer a classier Retre over Melling against CCM.

34 minutes ago, Red or Dead said:

Sorensen

Mooy

Fornaroli

Don't stress over this - he is not available due to injury.

2 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

My thoughts exactly, a quick google search he played a season or two at Barca and Athletico. Spent some time at a midtable English side and then bounced around Europa League level Euro teams for a few years.

Won a Champions League with Liverpool.

8 hours ago, Red or Dead said:

Sorensen

Mooy

Fornaroli

Agree with this lineup. I reckon Zullo was rested with the derby, and tip him to be fit and selected for the CCM match. Garuccio actually had the most successful tackles/interceptions out of all defenders in the derby (and played fairly well overall; he got forward well and had the best passing stats out of all our defenders [although the other defenders had pretty poor passing games]). But Garuccio can be a little rash/naive defensively (with his early yellow, albeit soft [esp. for a derby] IMO, being a prime example), so I reckon a fit Zullo pips Garuccio to start in this match.

The only real selection question IMO is Melling or Retre to start in midfield. Melling will probably just shade it, due to him providing a little more defending in midfield. However I'd be happy with either Retre or Melling starting in midfield.

Time for the team to produce a convincing win against a bottom 4 side, like the team did so many times over the first half of the season.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 2

Zullo not solid enough defensively, I like the balance Garuccio brought to the back 4 and able to contain Barbarouses as well.

Would actually like to see Zullo on the LW for a change just to see how he goes as Harry is a bit out of sorts atm. See how Harry goes coming off the bench as an impact sub for this game.

Aaron Mooy says Melbourne City must start winning again if it wants to impact finals

15 February 2016

By David Davutovic

MELBOURNE City star Aaron Mooy has warned his team that it was time to get the skates on if they want to make a finals impact.

A 2-2 draw with Melbourne Victory leaves fourth-place City winless in three games and six points behind leaders Brisbane Roar with eight games left.

City hosts bottom-place Central Coast Mariners in a game Mooy has labelled “must-win” for a club chasing the championship trophy.

“We want it to start happening as soon as we can, there’s not that long to go in the season, only eight games, which will go very quick,’’ Mooy said.

“The derby was a must-win but considering the (Anthony Caceres) red card we’ll take the point. But we’ve had three games without a win so next week is definitely must-win.’’

Mooy praised the performance of Alex Wilkinson in his 65-minute debut and hoped his Socceroos teammate could help solidify a team that’s been largely reliant on individual attacking brilliance.

Northern Ireland international Aaron Hughes could be available this week, while fellow defender Connor Chapman could return within a fortnight.

“It’s always disappointing when you’re leading and you let it slip, especially when it happened so quickly in the second half, we didn’t hold them out for long at all,’’ he said.

“We’ve got Bruno and he’s finishing everything for us and we’ve got quality attacking players, one chance and it can be a goal.

“Alex did a good job in his first game, so hopefully we can build on that and help the team a lot.

“We were decent in patches but not for long periods. It was a tough game, the derby’s always hard and the sending off killed us a bit. Defending for the last 12 or so minutes.

“Hopefully before the end of the season we get everyone fit and available and on the park.’’

Mooy said his role changed slightly when coach John van’t Schip reverted back to the 4-3-3 formation from a 3-5-2, but hoped the players would adapt either way.

“It’s the coach’s job to pick the system, we just try and implement it as best as we can,’’ Mooy said.

“It’s a bit different for me, I have to do more defensive work in this system compared to the last one, but I have no problem with doing some dirty work.

“I don’t feel the difference that much, you just want everyone to feel comfortable with what they’re doing, everyone knowing their roles and jobs, hopefully that will help the team get results.’’

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/football/aleague-aaron-mooy-says-melbourne-city-must-start-winning-again-if-it-wants-to-impact-finals/news-story/cfffaed60255d61aea20b67709b91903