Melbourne Football

Alex Wilkinson

kingofhearts

As a fair bit of a laugh, was reading the Herald Sun online today and went through an article where Wilkinson's move has "fallen flat" because he can only start training with the smurfs ACL squad / keep fit for the Socceroos v England game in a couple of weeks time if he signs for Sydney now (otherwise his insurance won't cover any mishaps as the insurance is with City not the smurfs).

Although City were happy to let him go early the smurfs apparently would be in trouble with the salary cap if he signed.

Funny as fuck given how the FFA red tape has screwed over the smurfs / FFA for once but stupid all the same.

Particularly given the England game is not on an official FIFA date so clubs can be bastards about letting players play (although justifiable in places like Asia where leagues are still in season)

• Like 1

Alex Wilkinson in limbo ahead of Socceroos clash with England
May 10, 2016 5:55pm
Tom SmithiesThe Daily Telegraph

SOCCEROO defender Alex Wilkinson has become the unwitting victim in the midst of a contractual wrangle as he bids to stay fit to face England in two-and-a-half weeks.

Wilkinson, who will join Sydney FC from Melbourne City officially next month, is expected to be named in Ange Postecoglou’s Socceroos squad to face England at the end of the month — a game that will come six weeks after his last competitive fixture for Melbourne City.

But a request from Football Federation Australia for Wilkinson to be allowed to start training with Sydney immediately to maintain his fitness has been stymied by the A-League’s own contract regulations, with Wilkinson officially contracted to City until the end of May.

City’s players have already finished training and gone on leave, but Sydney’s continued involvement in the Asian Champions League means they are still in full training for at least another three weeks. It’s believed Sydney coach Graham Arnold agreed to FFA’s request, but under City’s insurance policy, players cannot play for another club without a loan agreement.

Such deals are not permitted between A-League clubs, and while City were prepared to release Wilkinson early from his deal, Sydney would have had to sign him early — with immediate salary cap implications.

Wilkinson is one of a number of A-League based players who have been told to stay fit pending possible selection in Postecoglou’s squad to take on England in Sunderland on May 27. Some clubs are still training but a number have already gone on leave, leaving players to pursue individual training plans written by Socceroos medical staff.

You'd think the CFG hierarchy would be having a little chuckle to themselves about now ...

• Like 2

If this wasn't a matter of some importance to the national team it would be laughable. As many of us have said, both recently and for a long time, FFA needs a radical overhaul. IMO FFA should be a small umbrella organization, basically restricted to making sure that all football in Australia is heading in the same direction, and leave the micro-management to those better equipped to do it. Under the present dysfunctional set-up it finds itself hoist with its own petard far too often.

• 3 weeks later...

“I want to win things, I’ve never won an A-League title and I’ve come close a lot of times. That’s the definite goal of mine – to win a Grand Final, so I’ve come to the right club to be able to do that,” Wilkinson said.

“Sydney is a huge club, a successful club and an ambitious club. Next season we’ll be pushing all the way for the title.

“It’s always the goal at the start of the season, Sydney being such a big and ambitious club, I’m sure we’re going to want to achieve great things next year. 

“We’ll be looking to finish towards the top of the table and qualify for the Asian Champions League again after the team did so well in the competition.”

Read more at http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/wilko-content-sydney-fc-move#hVTorTze3tXF56UY.99

Read into this what you will

3 hours ago, n i k o said:

They all make those sorts of statements when they sign for a new club - it's pretty much a standard script. Well, the statements are attributed to them, but it wouldn't surprise me if they say nothing at all and one media outlet just writes the same crap and all the others quote it. 

5 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

They all make those sorts of statements when they sign for a new club - it's pretty much a standard script. Well, the statements are attributed to them, but it wouldn't surprise me if they say nothing at all and one media outlet just writes the same crap and all the others quote it. 

Except when they join Sydney, I bet they are told to say Sydney are a 'big club' explicitly. 

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, n i k o said:

"I wanted to live in Sydney. Arnold is actually the father of my children so I had to come back for paternity reasons." Or "Oh and JVS is a shit cunt, worst coach in the world, I really left because we nearly won the title and I couldn't see the team with the best facilities ever going anywhere...."