Melbourne Football

Alex Wilkinson

kingofhearts

2 minutes ago, Andrew Edmonds said:

Wish he'd stay here even if he's on less $. If JVS is here though... surely he could work wonders? Allowing him to play up top when he wants? 

JVS isn't interested in Wilkinson,

He isn't young

He isn't injured

He can't be converted into a full-back or a winger

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/sydney-fc-signs-socceroos-defender-alex-wilkinson-on-twoyear-contract/news-story/b140b168f536b1b72098aad534400352

SYDNEY FC has begun the rebuilding process by signing Socceroos defender Alex Wilkinson from Melbourne City on a two-year contract.

The 31-year-old, who was born in Sydney, will link up with his Sky Blues teammates shortly and will be available to play in the Asian Champions League should Sydney reach the quarter-finals of the competition.

Wilkinson joined City from Korean club Jeonbuk Motors in February and went on to make 10 appearances for the club, but he is looking forward to representing his home club.

82912523026113de5993bcf44a27940c?width=6 Alex Wilkinson will join Sydney FC on a two-year deal.

“It feels great to be coming back to Sydney and playing for the club that represents my home city,” he said.

“Sydney FC is a huge club and I have no doubt we will be challenging for the title next season. There are a core group of very good players at the club and next season I believe we will be more than capable of winning silverware.

“It’s going to be a great challenge for me and I can’t wait to link up with the squad.”

1 minute ago, Deviant said:

No doubt he's a major loss...

However, he can fuck right off and take 5 more with him if he and they don't want to play for the club. 

In fairness he wanted to sign for us for two seasons, but it was City who insisted on the shorter term. I can't turn up the actual article, but I distinctly remember that's what he said.

2 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

In fairness he wanted to sign for us for two seasons, but it was City who insisted on the shorter term. I can't turn up the actual article, but I distinctly remember that's what he said.

To Give a chance for a new manager to make some signings ;)

2 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Could have negotiated a clause for extension to his contract at .5 and .75 of the season. Instead he went to the dark side. 

5 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

His family's in Sydney you can't expect him to relocate them for a year's contract.

A big loss but expected.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

City have no problem giving multi-year deals to Malik and Muscat but not a current Socceroo. #Petrillo

Oh well, it was nice being a 'destination club' for 18 months.

3 minutes ago, silva10 said:

Has he been signed under the salary cap by them?

Was hoping we could keep him, but was going to be difficult to keep him under the cap.

I'm sure the FFA will come up with a new rule to help Sydney "Any former Socceroos who have played in 2 states and have the initials AW are allowed to be paid 50% outside the salary cap"

• Like 3

On 26/04/2016 at 4:54 PM, Deeming said:

His family's in Sydney you can't expect him to relocate them for a year's contract.

A big loss but expected.

My thoughts exactly. Disappointing but wish him well.

As an side thought, my take on the Wilkinson deal was that he was taken as a loophole way of swapping out Paartalu - particularly given how much Paartalu was on ($400k a season iirc) and the fact we had just brought in Malik.  Given the impact Wilkinson had up and above Paartalu's impact first half of the season, I'd say that was a good deal.

But even the the half of it; Mauk was the direct swap for Malik, so you could always make make the argument Wilkinson was actually swapped with Mauk with the intent of having excess cap space seasons should things not work out with Wilkinson.

So in a perverse way, it was always going to be a win-win. With the cap space and decent scouting we've seen this season, we should hopefully be on the up and up

Edited by mattyh001