Melbourne Football

Grand Final 31 Jan 2pm at AAMI

Dylan

W-League Grand Final: Melbourne City’s Jess Fishlock to wait til last minute to prove her fitness

January 27, 2016

David Davutovic

MELBOURNE City star Jess Fishlock will be given until the 11th-hour to prove her fitness for Sunday’s W-League final after suffering a hamstring strain.

City’s playing-assistant coach limped off in the first half of the dramatic semi-final penalty shootout win over Brisbane Roar last Monday and is now a 50-50 proposition for the decider against Sydney FC.

Scans have confirmed the Welsh international had suffered a strain. Matildas attacker Lisa De Vanna, who replaced Fishlock against Roar, and defender Rebekah Stott, who was away with New Zealand’s national team, are on standby if Fishlock fails a fitness test.

“Scans have revealed she has a bit of a strain but she’s already rehabbing and we’ll leave it right to the end with regards to her availability,’’ coach Joe Montemurro said.

“Jess is an important part of the squad but people forget that she didn’t arrive until Round 3 and had a lot of international commitments so she’s missed a lot of football.

“We have a lot of faith in the squad regardless and everyone else is good, plus we get Rebekah back from international duty.’’

Montemurro said the semi-final experience at AAMI Park in front of several thousand fans would help on Sunday after conceding nerves played a part in the semi-final.

City’s 100 per cent record came unstuck when the game finished 0-0 after extra time before De Vanna scored the decisive penalty after teen Angela Beard missed Roar’s fifth spot kick.

“Obviously we’ll review it and look at the sort of things we can do better,’’ Montemurro said.

“Overall it’s a finals football and, as far as I’m concerned, whether you’re first or fourth you’re throwing it back in the hat and drawing them out because it’s a completely different approach.

“There were definitely some nerves, knowing that it’s all or nothing. It’s natural and all credit to Brisbane for their disciplined display that didn’t allow us to get into positions to finish them off.

“We’re better for the game, we’re back at AAMI Park where we’ve seen the scale and atmosphere and that’s important. They’re all little things we were not used to.

“Most importantly we’ll approach it in a way where we’ll try and control what we can and that’s our way of playing. We want to continue our approach from the start of the season.’’

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/wleague-grand-final-melbourne-citys-jess-fishlock-to-wait-til-last-minute-to-prove-her-fitness/news-story/fd38c4e6b81d26ac773bd967b4b0e502

25 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Not used to buying a GA ticket on-line. Does GA mean I can sit where I like or will there be a seat number on the ticket?

I think you can sit anywhere. 

Question has anyone purchased a family ticket and if so does it include 2 or 4 kids?

40 minutes ago, Kinnibari said:

Should be able to sit anywhere that's open, going off what happened last time I went to a wleague gf at AAMI. (Only one wing, plus active at either end... Not sure what the deal with active is though.)

I've answered my own question - no row or seat number is allocated. However, according to the number on the ticket I'm the 1,670th ticket sold.

And by the looks of it, (Entry at Gate 2, and the venue map) it's the eastern side of the ground that will be open, not so good for an afternoon kick-off.

And the adult price is $19.84 once the fees are added on...

Edited by jw1739

Interesting. I was alerted late this afternoon that NAB are giving away tickets to the GF to their registered customers via the NAB Facebook page maximum two tickets per customer. Reading the small print I see that they have a maximum of 6,000 tickets to give away.

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Interesting. I was alerted late this afternoon that NAB are giving away tickets to the GF to their registered customers via the NAB Facebook page maximum two tickets per customer. Reading the small print I see that they have a maximum of 6,000 tickets to give away.

Well, NAB are FFA sponsors so it makes sense I think..

5 minutes ago, Deviant said:

http://www.w-league.com.au/misc/nab-ticketing-offer/17yv5pcej5bef1nqheoy109vow

NAB offering double passes to the game for NAB members.

I mentioned that above. So how do you think a member who has a NAB account feels who's already bought a single ticket on-line for $19.84?

This club needs to get its act together on ticketing.

On 01/27/2016 at 9:43 PM, Kinnibari said:

Hope they get the cameras sorted out and not pointed at the empty side of the ground like last time. 

Given that the fixed camera positions are on the tunnel side of the stadium,  and that they're apparently opening the opposite side of the stadium for GA, I'd say that won't happen this time (unless the crowed is stupidly small)....

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

So how is the club able to offer "discounts" to members? Did they have to get approval from FFA? Just interested to know.

Yeah  FFA gives them something. Just like in the Aleague GF members of both sides got allocations and discounts

52 minutes ago, Kinnibari said:

Fantastic, couldn't have asked for a better inaugural season. Glad it went so well but I have to say I'm sad it's over :(

It´s never over.. It´s just that you have ages between seasons in Australia ;)
Time for CFG to try to keep as many players as possible.

I'm hopeful we will keep a fair few, based on the facilities. They also seem to be quite a close knit team. And other w-league teams keep their core players together over multiple seasons.

Pretty sure we won't be getting Little again though, she said that she needs to have a break after the next US season.

timecode links on the youtube page

INTERVIEWS
13:44 - Joe Montemurro, Melbourne City coach
17:49 - Michelle Betos (Sydney FC)
21:31 - Alanna Kennedy (Sydney FC)
24:39 - Jen Beattie (Melbourne City)
27:52 - Amy Jackson (Melbourne City)
31:07 - Aivi Luik (Melbourne City)
34:15 - Jess Fishlock (Melbourne City)
39:16 - Steph Catley (Melbourne City)
43:31 - Kyah Simon (Sydney FC)

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Teo said:

timecode links on the youtube page

INTERVIEWS
13:44 - Joe Montemurro, Melbourne City coach
17:49 - Michelle Betos (Sydney FC)
21:31 - Alanna Kennedy (Sydney FC)
24:39 - Jen Beattie (Melbourne City)
27:52 - Amy Jackson (Melbourne City)
31:07 - Aivi Luik (Melbourne City)
34:15 - Jess Fishlock (Melbourne City)
39:16 - Steph Catley (Melbourne City)
43:31 - Kyah Simon (Sydney FC)

Thanks @Teo. I was at all the games so haven't listened to your coverage live but I've enjoyed the post game interviews. Thanks to you and the whole team for your efforts this season.