Melbourne Football

Nick Fitzgerald

jw1739

1 minute ago, AaronAV11 said:

So if Caceras is the injury replacement for Gameiro how have we signed Fitzgerald? Just left over money under the cap?

Presumably fills the vacancy created by Richardson's (as yet unannounced) departure? Attacker for defender when our defence is a shambles?

2 minutes ago, JediCapitalist said:

Better finisher than Williams, and a familiar face to help Caceras adjust to the new squad quicker.   

Tidy bit of business this January.   Not used to us being so bloody active on the market.     Hope Luis Garcia works out for the Mariners though or they are FUCKED.   

Signed bouzanis and now Fitzgerald hardly anything to write home about, still not addressing the defense and have a marquee postion being wasted by that useless turd koren we have a long way to go before we can call this transfer window any kind of success.

Just now, drewmelbcity said:

Signed bouzanis and now Fitzgerald hardly anything to write home about, still not addressing the defense and have a marquee postion being wasted by that useless turd koren we have a long way to go before we can call this transfer window any kind of success.

Problem is that our defence has mostly been bad because we haven't been able to put our preferred on the pitch at the same time.     Injuries but not season ending ones, so we can't just bring in replacements.   

Caceras is a talented young player, Bouzanis will spend 99% of his stay here on the bench anyway (hopefully) and Fitzgerald is a consistently ok player with a better finish than Williams, so it's an upgrade.   

100% agree on marquee though.   Really hopeful whoever we line up can draw crowds and score goals.   We'd have a genuinely unstoppable midfield combined with the best attack in the league if Koren had just lived up to his billing.   

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JediCapitalist said:

Better finisher than Williams, and a familiar face to help Caceras adjust to the new squad quicker.   

Tidy bit of business this January.   Not used to us being so bloody active on the market.     Hope Luis Garcia works out for the Mariners though or they are FUCKED.   

Of all the teams able to get a name to bring a few more through the gates absolutely hats off and congrats to mariners, even if it is a flop they've tried.

51 minutes ago, drewmelbcity said:

Both Bouzanis and Fitzgerald are only signed until 31st May 2016. According to the article we have first option on Fitzgerald if we want to extend his contract. Certainly, though, for next season we really do have to have a much better defence, not only in quality but also in numbers. When you're relying on Retre and Garuccio to plug holes as wing-backs you're asking for trouble. Not that they're bad players, but it's not their natural or preferred position.

Marquee? Got to be someone who's really going to click the turnstiles.

Just now, MHFC-FAN said:

Don't take those figures literally, it was just a guess. I would assume he would be on a little less than 200k...

Oh no, I wasn't discrediting your claim. I just found it interesting to highlight the disparity between a fringe player and their output in relation to their wage, when compared our international marquee's wage and output.

I would assume a lot of the fringe squad players would be lucky to be on six figures.

3 minutes ago, Blackout said:

Oh no, I wasn't discrediting your claim. I just found it interesting to highlight the disparity between a fringe player and their output in relation to their wage, when compared our international marquee's wage and output.

I would assume a lot of the fringe squad players would be lucky to be on six figures.

Talk about 'bang for your buck' or lack of 'bang' from Koren

Sounds like a perfect contract from our point of view: just a 6 month deal, with the first chance to re-sign him if we want to, and he'll probably get paid peanuts and barely take up much in our salary cap (maybe helping us further strengthen in this transfer window).

And he's fit, plays in a position we needed to strengthen (right wing) and is young and might possibly get better (whereas David Williams is highly unlikely to change or improve significantly at 27 and after 4 years at the club).

Very keen to see what Nick will do. And I'm tipping him to take his chances more often then not when he plays for us.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Agree with the others that he seems to be serviceable and could turn out to be a solid winger. Just would like him to take few more risks and try beating his man and whipping in a cross. So far he's opted the safe option and hasn't lost possession. 

Works hard and positions himself well just needs to take the occasional risk.

10 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Agree with the others that he seems to be serviceable and could turn out to be a solid winger. Just would like him to take few more risks and try beating his man and whipping in a cross. So far he's opted the safe option and hasn't lost possession. 

I think it will come, he's just trying to settle in his new team and wants to avoid making errors. Once he settles fully I'm sure we'll see him trying to do more. I also agree with the sentiments that he's been fantastic thus far.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jovan said:

You mean the cross in the first half that missed everyone by a mile?

13 minutes ago, malloy said:

You mean the cross in the first half that missed everyone by a mile?

This is my concern with him although I thought in the derby in general his crosses were much better than the week before. Just needs to relax a bit and not try to prove himself

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, neio said:

He was serviceable, but nothing spectacular. I think that's what we're going to get from him, good squad player but not really first 11 quality of someone who plans on winning silverware 

I think he will turn into a solid player for us, though he does need to improve in a few areas.

17 hours ago, neio said:

Not really first 11 quality of someone who plans on winning silverware 

Interesting you should say that, considering the kid has already won two championships (mostly from the bench yes but still quite an achievement).

I agree that he is serviceable at the moment but I think he could develop into a key player on the wing.