Melbourne Football

Nick Fitzgerald

jw1739

10 hours ago, haz said:

I dont think hes got worse, I think the whole team's skills has gone past his.

I feel that in the first half of the season he was far more effective (same with Kamau). I suspect that opposition coaches are increasing the pressure on the team so that he doesn't get the clear runs that he once did. As an example last night the ball was coming out of defense (couldn't see who had the ball) under pressure, so the City defender just kicked the ball long and high way past Fitzgerald and out for a throw. He and Kamau got blocked regularly and they need to work around this - that is what coaches are for.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, thisphantomfortress said:

He wasn't THAT bad last night. Def not back in full swing yet though. Showed glimpses of what he's got - absolutely skinning (maybe) papadopoulos comes to mind. 

I'm a fan of what Fitzy has brought in the past which is why I watched him pretty closely everytime he had the ball last night, hoping he'd put together some bit of brilliance. I'll certainly watch the game again but unfortunately all I remember is a disaster whenever he had the ball. 

I'm of the opinion that he has always been a little average generally but had that period where he was playing above himself and recently he is just back to his normal level.

Now I'm not bagging him and wouldn't regard him a spud but I wouldn’t think him elite either. I just feel many see him better than he really is. 

Will be watching him closely next few weeks to see if I'm being too harsh.

26 minutes ago, Jovan said:

I'm of the opinion that he has always been a little average generally but had that period where he was playing above himself and recently he is just back to his normal level.

Now I'm not bagging him and wouldn't regard him a spud but I wouldn’t think him elite either. I just feel many see him better than he really is. 

Will be watching him closely next few weeks to see if I'm being too harsh.

I remember him for CCM and I think he's performing worse now than he was then

I really like him but I agree that he isn't the gun he has been made out to be at times.

He has some excellent attributes that make him likeable; he has a great workrate, plays direct and in the past hasn't been afraid to pull the trigger, something the rest of our team has been reluctant to do.

Atm all his play seems so forced and desperate. Instead of doing the simple things well he is almost always either getting tunnel vision going for a speculative shot or alternatively when he does look to pass they are all backheel flicks or other low percentage plays. Usually if someone is struggling you get them to focus on the basics and build up from there, but to me it seems that he is going for the fancy stuff and hoping that if he pulls it off the rest of his game will flow on from that one moment of glory.

In form he is comfortably a good A-League player, unfortunately he has been stuck in a rut for about 2 months now though.

• Like 3

Seems to be getting caught in two minds a lot lately. Probably a by-product of trying too hard to impress & win his spot back. Like others have said, he just needs to simplify his game again, lay the ball off & run to space or behind the line, that's when he/we look most dangerous. In fairness, he's still getting himself into the right position, he's just lacking confidence. A goal or a quality assist should get him back on track.

I think people are very quick to forget that the kid would likely be the lowest paid player (minimum wage) in our entire squad & was our most consistent player the last half of last year & first half of this. He deserves some slack IMO. Having a lull in form/confidence/quality is the norm for most (non-elite) players, look at Mooy currently at Huddersfield (no, i'm not saying they're the same quality). 

Edited by LB
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, LB said:

Seems to be getting caught in two minds a lot lately. Probably a by-product of trying too hard to impress & win his spot back. Like others have said, he just needs to simplify his game again, lay the ball off & run to space or behind the line, that's when he/we look most dangerous. In fairness, he's still getting himself into the right position, he's just lacking confidence. A goal or a quality assist should get him back on track.

I think people are very quick to forget that the kid would likely be the lowest paid player (minimum wage) in our entire squad & was our most consistent player the last half of last year & first half of this. He deserves some slack IMO. Having a lull in form/confidence/quality is the norm for most (non-elite) players, look at Mooy currently at Huddersfield (no, i'm not saying they're the same quality). 

I'd be astounded if he was on minimum wage tbh. IMO he'd be on 100k give or take a little.

Tbh i think the stuff he's copping is a direct response to those that thought he was amongst our best in the middle rounds regardless of of performance. I'm not sure why but for some reason some people seem to think he's amazing when he's clearly not.
That's not to say an in-form Fitzy isnt a good player, i really love his attitude and work ethic, but he's clearly quite limited in some aspects. At worst he's an excellent A League sub, at his best he's a solid if not spectacular starting winger imo and that's likely to be his level throughout his career from what i can see.

Absolutely agree that a good goal could really kick start his season again and add a crucial element to our push for the title.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Jacques Le Cube said:

Late bloomer? Leckie had outgrown the A League by the age 20 when he left for Germany. Also, Leckie is only 1 year older than Fitzy (and has 49 caps).

I thought he was older, there you go. 

Leckie has improved a lot in the last couple of years and added scoring reliably to his belt, he's become one of our best.