Melbourne Football

Anthony Caceres

strider

6 hours ago, Cityamatic said:

Thought Caceras was great for us last night, definitely his best performance for us since coming on board. If he can put performances like that in for us every week then the potential departure of Mooy may not be such a nightmare...

I too thought he was great last night. My only critique was that at times heseemed to want to take on one too many players or take on a player when there was a clear and better option to pass.

I also thought Fitzy and Retre played well and I thought Wilkinson was close to best on ground not counting God.

The only player who I was a bit dissapointed with was Malik. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Tactial genius said:

Hopefully he doesnt stay on. Big disappointment in my eyes. Had more sending offs then good performances.

Plus kept melling out of the side who i reckon give us some grunt, and isn't scared to pass a ball forward.

Caceras is a more developed player than Melling and at this point in time a better one.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tactial genius said:

Agree he is a more developed player. Wouldn't say his better. On par level with most midfielders we have had that aren't named mooy.

Now I know why you're known as "Tactial Genius" rather than "Tactical Genius."

• Like 3

For me Caceras did enough to prove he is a good quality player. Melling definitely adds grunt but alot of the time it's unnecessary. He's like a puppy dog that chases a ball sometimes. I think Melling will become a quality player but is way behind Caceras. 

• Like 1

Interesting comparison between Melling and Caceres.

For me Caceres, when given enough time, has a deft touch that can create play. However, he lacks an engine capable of lasting 90+ minutes and gets pushed off the ball to easily.

Melling is almost the complete opposite. Has the engine and is very difficult to push off the ball. But, he lacks that deft touch to be able to pass the ball in tight situations and create play.

Can either of them improve?

I am not sure whether Caceres can improve his engine without sacrificing his speed. His balance can definitely improve but not sure how much. Things like vision and skill level could also be improved. but is he prepared to put in the work.

Melling on the other hand has to learn to better control his aggression and that is doable. His skills though at his age may be more difficult.

5 hours ago, japiedog said:

Caceres is plastered all over the membership renewal/ sign up marketing / advertising

quite sure that he will be here next year

It's not like the club had a lot of options with half our team looking like they'll go but I've thought he was staying because of the same reason. The MLS is a better league than the A League and he's hardly been setting the league a light, you'd imagine NYC would be targeting better players with their international player spots. Whilst I wouldn't put it past them surely the CFG wouldn't take an Australian player who was with-in our salary cap to play elsewhere. 

I'm confident he'll permenatly sign with our club or at least have his loan extended for next season, hoping Luke Brattan will also be here next season.

Edited by Jozzy

• 3 months later...
21 minutes ago, JC22 said:

playmaker the only non-suicidal forum member after last night.

No. I'm with him on this one. Far too much negativity on here. Suggest many need to go back through the history of the FA Cup and look at a few of the results there for a dose of reality.

38 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Wasn't he the match winner last match with his bullet from 30 out? Shit player right? Geez!

He certainly doesn't dominate the match like Mooy used to. We need someone who can take control, not drift in and out of the game whenever they feel like

Only Mooy and Engelaar have been this player for us and the difference in our performance with them in the team was massive

2 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

No. I'm with him on this one. Far too much negativity on here. Suggest many need to go back through the history of the FA Cup and look at a few of the results there for a dose of reality.

The negativity from me is not so much from the result but more of the performance and how this mirrors every other season so far. 

We no longer have the luxury of working our way into the season and slowly solving problems, it must be from now.

We have probably 2 maybe 3 games at most to the convince the uncommitted that we are a new team/club. After that it's the more of same old same old.

Just look at what Guardiola change at Manchester has created.

Next competitive game is now even more important. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Jovan said:

The negativity from me is not so much from the result but more of the performance and how this mirrors every other season so far. 

We no longer have the luxury of working our way into the season and slowly solving problems, it must be from now.

We have probably 2 maybe 3 games at most to the convince the uncommitted that we are a new team/club. After that it's the more of same old same old.

This is the point. While trying not to be too dramatic this could make or break our future support.

People will now come because of Cahill. There will be a bunch of casual fans and the media will be all over us. Play well, play exciting, get results and we can turn this new casual support (for Cahill) into long term support (for the club). Play rubbish and/ or lose and people's attention will drift away again.

• Like 2

It's amazing how some opinion makers on this forum can't wait to jump on the wagon to begin making negative, unsubstantial comments about some of our best players. So, according to some of the experts on this thread, our poor display yesterday v BS was the fault of the player that got us to the final 16. Imo, the comments about the best ball player ( Caceres) that we have, are based on misleading, personal point of views or simply lack of knowledge. It's only pre season FFS !! Let the players get physical, match fit and then pass judgement. I've watched most of the pre season games and I can confirm to all of those who play it by ear, that young Caceres has been our best. Technically he's above the rest. I believe that at only 23 years of age he's still to peak ( Mooy peaked at 26) and this season he will be one of our main players.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jovan said:

Despite my earlier comments I do agree with the bolded sentences above. I am truly fed up with hearing JvS making comments about lack of match fitness, players coming in and still to come, the team gelling etc. etc. The repetition of these comments (or are they excuses?) season after season, reminds me of the boy who called "wolf." This season these factors might, in fact, be real, but we've heard it all so many times before that we no longer believe it.

32 minutes ago, DAM10 said:

It's amazing how some opinion makers on this forum can't wait to jump on the wagon to begin making negative, unsubstantial comments about some of our best players. So, according to some of the experts on this thread, our poor display yesterday v BS was the fault of the player that got us to the final 16. Imo, the comments about the best ball player ( Caceres) that we have, are based on misleading, personal point of views or simply lack of knowledge. It's only pre season FFS !! Let the players get physical, match fit and then pass judgement. I've watched most of the pre season games and I can confirm to all of those who play it by ear, that young Caceres has been our best. Technically he's above the rest. I believe that at only 23 years of age he's still to peak ( Mooy peaked at 26) and this season he will be one of our main players.

Lol he's 25....