Melbourne Football

Anthony Caceres

strider

1 hour ago, DAM10 said:

It's amazing how some opinion makers on this forum can't wait to jump on the wagon to begin making negative, unsubstantial comments about some of our best players. So, according to some of the experts on this thread, our poor display yesterday v BS was the fault of the player that got us to the final 16. Imo, the comments about the best ball player ( Caceres) that we have, are based on misleading, personal point of views or simply lack of knowledge. It's only pre season FFS !! Let the players get physical, match fit and then pass judgement. I've watched most of the pre season games and I can confirm to all of those who play it by ear, that young Caceres has been our best. Technically he's above the rest. I believe that at only 23 years of age he's still to peak ( Mooy peaked at 26) and this season he will be one of our main players.

Agree, but if you are looking for commonsense opinions, then you are on the wrong forum.

2 hours ago, DAM10 said:

It's amazing how some opinion makers on this forum can't wait to jump on the wagon to begin making negative, unsubstantial comments about some of our best players. So, according to some of the experts on this thread, our poor display yesterday v BS was the fault of the player that got us to the final 16. Imo, the comments about the best ball player ( Caceres) that we have, are based on misleading, personal point of views or simply lack of knowledge. It's only pre season FFS !! Let the players get physical, match fit and then pass judgement. I've watched most of the pre season games and I can confirm to all of those who play it by ear, that young Caceres has been our best. Technically he's above the rest. I believe that at only 23 years of age he's still to peak ( Mooy peaked at 26) and this season he will be one of our main players.

If you didn't get his age wrong I'd be 100% sure you were Caceres himself.

Having said that, I do agree that people are being way too dramatic and negative about both him and the team itself.

4 minutes ago, JC22 said:

If you didn't get his age wrong I'd be 100% sure you were Caceres himself.

Having said that, I do agree that people are being way too dramatic and negative about both him and the team itself.

Caceres is only 23 - turns 24 next month.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

The epitome of Beige......just offers nothing. So frustrating watching him prance around like he's some big time star avoiding tracking back so he can find space to dazzle us with his skills. Countless times he kills our transition by holding onto the ball when a simple pass would stretch the opposition defence and when he does decide to make the pass it's generally poorly weighted or placed. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, rayv36 said:

He looks like he is afraid to make a mistake and 2nd guesses himself. I put this down to JVS' philosophy of keep possession at all costs. 

Quite possibly. Playing the first time ball forward at any opportunity is his biggest limitation. This may be down to JVS but in all probability it's more to do with himself. I think he tries to find the perfect pass in the perfect moment which makes him look like he's second guessing the easy option earlier on. 

Just keeps turning back into trouble. On the field our players are repeating what they do on the training track. That's where the problem is. They all should be 100% match fit now - what they need is to practice their game plays not fuck about with dance steps.

22 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Just keeps turning back into trouble. On the field our players are repeating what they do on the training track. That's where the problem is. They all should be 100% match fit now - what they need is to practice their game plays not fuck about with dance steps.

Still learning. Still improving. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Melbourne City loanee Anthony Caceres is still weighing up his options for next season as his loan deal in the A-League ends.

The Uruguayan-Aussie managed 27 A-League games this season, scoring two goals and claiming four assists and is thinking of playing in Europe next season.

Caceres spoke to FourFourTwo at the unveiling of JD Sports in Melbourne Central and was open to playing overseas to strengthen his CV.

The Uruguayan-Aussie was on loan from Manchester City and has no definite answer on where he’ll be next season but was open to playing in Europe.

“A dream most players have is to play abroad and to test yourself in another league,” Caceres Told FourFourTwo.

“If it comes to that I’ll definitely embrace it and go with it, a change could be good to take my game to the next level, whatever it may be, and I think it’s going to be a good thing.

“It may take a week or two to get the ball rolling on my next move, whatever it may be I’ll embrace it, whether it’s a new challenge or to stay here.

“I’ll continue giving it my all and hopefully keep improving as a player but I'm looking forward on what’s to come.”

Caceres enjoyed silverware this season with City, winning the FFA Cup in November but his team fell out of the finals 2-0 to Perth Glory on Sunday.

He also denied they were complacent.

“Taking the FFA Cup was definitely the highlight, but it’s not enough for a club like this I don’t think,” he said.

“Especially with the squad we had, we felt that we could’ve gone all the way and challenge for the A-League title.

“I don’t think many footballers get complacent because every game is a new challenge and you give 110 per cent no matter what. We struggled for consistency more than anything.”

Coach Michael Valkanis’ decision to exclude of Caceres, Luke Brattan and Nick Fitzgerald in the starting XI received criticism from some fans on social media.

Caceres only played the final 19 minutes of loss to Glory but he wasn’t surprised by his own omission.

“Leading up to the game I wasn’t in the squad anyway,” Caceres said. “It’s obviously frustrating, every footballer wants to play every game, especially a final but it wasn’t to be.

“My role was to come off the bench and hopefully make a difference, unfortunately the game by then was already settled. It was always difficult to make an impact in a game like that, very disappointed and not much we can do now.”

https://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/news/caceres-open-to-playing-in-europe-459729

Edited by playmaker

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Just now, hakz7 said:

Had no idea you were such a passionate Al-Wasl fan

Haha. That's what happens when you don't read the Forum for a while. Of course my memory has now kicked in after the fact.  Whoops! 

Funny, now that I remember he's gone I'm starting to miss him....  

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Our very own and fully fledged vegan is back! 

Was always a strong advocate of him being a starter in our number 10 role and felt he just needed a coach that would show some faith in him. I feel Joyce is a fan of Caceras and may very well give him that opportunity that he needs. 

• Like 1

I'm undecided on Caceras. 

On one hand he definitely has quality and is exactly what we need in the attacking 3rd.

On the other he played heaps of games and was pretty much ineffective. 

With signing Caceras does that therefore rule out a marquee playmaker?

If no marquee #10 or visa# does that mean a CB marquee or is what I may have proposed weeks ago Arzani becomes our new Marquee. 

Like I said I'm not sure about this.

17 minutes ago, Jovan said:

I'm undecided on Caceras. 

On one hand he definitely has quality and is exactly what we need in the attacking 3rd.

On the other he played heaps of games and was pretty much ineffective. 

With signing Caceras does that therefore rule out a marquee playmaker?

If no marquee #10 or visa# does that mean a CB marquee or is what I may have proposed weeks ago Arzani becomes our new Marquee. 

Like I said I'm not sure about this.

This is why I like the off season

Is Caceras even signed to be a starting XI player? Are we looking at a Marquee CB or CDM or even a 2nd striker (bring back Ross!)? Arzani for Marquee?

I hope what doesnt happen is another McCormack cock-up again. In the case of Melbourne planning on signing Arzani as marquee, he (or CFG) then decide to send him overseas and then we are stuck with no Marquee or another rushed dud like Budzik

there is a vivid beauty in the known. caceres is our known. maybe we are meant to be comfortable and OK.

maybe our championship is found in being comfortable. perhaps a reflection of ourselves.

are we wrong to love things that we know? how can we love what we dont know? 

welcome back caceres.